Kirkland's

Updated November 16, 2014
2.5

Kirkland's CEO and Director Robert E. Alderson
Robert E. Alderson

Pros
  • The employee discount and the team cohesion was the best part of the job (in 15 reviews)

• I had friendly co workers who were easy to work with (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • All task driven, no support from upper management, treats employees like thieves (in 14 reviews)

• District manager does not hold people accountable at any level (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Run while you can!

I worked at Kirkland's

Pros

Decent discount, new merchandise frequently, get to be creative. Ap for store draws regular customers. Most employees are easy to work with.

Cons

Pay is not worth the work expected, unload trucks in all kinds of weather, upper management is lame at best. Store manager was hateful and psycho. Contradicted herself and lied to get her way. Customer hurt in store & she lied to corporate as to how it happened. Made schedule to suit her needs. Never worked Fri or Sat nights and rarely a Sun. But this is retail right? Should be expected to work those days! Made you feel incompetent and talked about you to other members of management as well as regular team members. Violated HIPPA laws by sharing medical information with team members. Refused to train people to move up if she had personal issues with you. Left messes on the floor for others to pick up after her. NOT! This store manager was a real hot mess!

Don't always believe what's blown up your behinds. Surprise visits do wonders! LISTEN to your employees! They are the ones representing your company. Create a team to unload & process freight. Too many ad changes and crazy floor moves. Just too much for what you are willing to pay.

Very good until we lost our GM!

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Warner Robins, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Warner Robins, GA

I worked at Kirkland's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good hours, fun atmosphere, decent pay above minimum wage, flexible hours, always busy, discount on merchandise, benefits if full time

Cons

Sucky pay raise after being there a year, horrible truck delivery days, a lot of work moving around equipment and displays, a lot to unpack and unbox, restocking sucked

LISTEN to employees, don't leave the store without a manager and leave the second key in charge to RUIN EVERYTHING and push their one loyal sale's associate (me) to leaving the company!

Decent employer

Former Employee - Clerk in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Clerk in Detroit, MI

I worked at Kirkland's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Was able to give opinions and was able to change some back room clusters.

Cons

I knew I worked my tail off but I wasn't offered a leadership role until I gave my 2 weeks notice.

Loved my job but wasn't taken seriously by everyone since I was a seasonal worker.

Former Employee - Seasonal Associate/Cashier in Conway, AR
    Former Employee - Seasonal Associate/Cashier in Conway, AR

I worked at Kirkland's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, fun job, nice work clothes, happy customers, cool merchandise sometimes, 20% discount, overall just a really awesome place to work

Cons

OKAY hours. Cheap products. You kind of feel guilty when someone buys something you know they can get somewhere else for cheaper and better quality. Seasonal workers aren't taken seriously... Look forward to passing out flyers for 8 hours unless they are short staffed during a shift. The signature smell of the store (sachet packets) becomes very annoying.

Be more consistent. My store recently changed managers and now the store is a disaster.

Very friendly co-workers, awful Management

Former Employee - Cashier/Stock/Sales in Fort Smith, AR
    Former Employee - Cashier/Stock/Sales in Fort Smith, AR

I worked at Kirkland's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance
    Very friendly co-workers
    Company cares about you

Cons

The store manager is very rude.

Team Member

Former Employee - Team Member in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Team Member in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Kirkland's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employees are able to wear casual clothing with tennis shoes, they are usually able to give you a flexible schedule, and they offer on-going good training. Co-workers are friendly and the stores smell wonderful-- unless you have allergies.

Cons

I feel that they have low starting pay, coupled with small raises. Their new employee on-line application and testing process is quite tedious.

think twice!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager Third Key in Peachtree City, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager Third Key in Peachtree City, GA

I worked at Kirkland's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

company parties, great discount, always get breaks, get to wear apron makes it easy to get ready

Cons

not enough pay, have to unload the semi truck, part time employees can only work like 23 hours

Lazy Lazy Lazy

Former Employee - Senior Assistant Manager in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Senior Assistant Manager in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Kirkland's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company as far as debt to income ratio. Easy retail.Very simple store to run. Great customer base.

Cons

Kirkland's is a weak company when it comes to correcting institutional failures. They allow their stores to suffer loss of revenue because they are scared to fire the individuals who just want to come in to work and hang out and stare at their phone. Productivity is low and not a lot of personal input and face to face conversations from upper management. Slow to resolve issues and conflicts within the workplace. Not enough designated hours to help store perform at it's highest rate. Lazy group of individuals who work for this company. If you're looking to for work after retirement and don't require a lot of physical and brain activity, this is the job for you.

Involvement with store managers in a more direct way would resolve a lot of issues. Don't be so "lax" about letting your store managers do what they want within their store. Too much sitting in the office and not showing up for work occurs way too often.

Tiring, Overwhelming, Not Satisfying

Current Employee - Team Member in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Team Member in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kirkland's part-time

Pros

The co-workers are awesome! They're friendly and funny people to work with. The customers aren't bad, they usually know what they come in for, and are easy to work with. The store always smells good and you come home smelling good. They usually understand scheduling needs.

Cons

The store manager is condescending. It is a very micro-managed place. I felt very unprepared for the job with the horrible training presentations. I worked 4 shifts in the past 2 weeks while other coworkers work nearly every day. I have been apologized FOR to customers who don't seem upset and usually understand.
     I've been closing in my last few times I've worked here and we are NEVER out in time. Only one other manager finds the importance in getting out at 10. Two people for closing is a horrible idea. I'm the only one who does the actual closing list, and I find most times I can't get everything done.
     I feel constantly overwhelmed and that I never have enough time in the world. I have found myself, I kid you not, crying while coming to work. I've never felt so under-appreciated and so watched in my life. The pay isn't awful, but it's slightly insulting to how much a team member does.
     The constant moving of products is horrible. Not only have I tried to take a customer to where a product WAS to find out that it was moved, again, but constantly having to keep up with where everything is is a total waste of time. The backroom is overwhelmingly full with products that no one purchases.
     I come home feeling like I was hit by a bus. The best time of work is leaving.

Appreciate your workers. Let more than 2 people work a closing shift when one of them is new (me), because I had no idea what I was doing the first time I closed.

Overworked

I have been working at Kirkland's (more than 5 years)

Pros

Customer base is very friendly, product is low price and great for just starting out, fellow employees are a great team.

Cons

Ridiculous amount of work, payroll is at an all time minium, added on tasks and directives during work week with no adjustments to schedule allowed, upper management is out of touch with the workload at the store level.

Overworked and stressed managers do not make for great team leaders. They need to re-visit their levels of management. The expectations on the SM and Sr.asm as the only full time employees is unrealistic. They basically have the stores being run by hourly employees that only get 15 hours a week. Do you really think 15 hours a week at minimum wage promotes a caring and responsible attitude? Step out of the corporate world and visit reality.