Kirkland's Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Recommend :)

I have been working at Kirkland's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere. Discount increases as you are promoted within the company. Huge on recognition of its employees, Kirkland Newsletter/ Employee of the Month. Realizes the benefit of promoting from within.

Cons

Still a very small company trying to expand rapidly in new markets. Floor sets hours do not reflect the time necessary to do it right! Promo's are in constant change, difficult to complete in the time allotted. New store on boarding is next to none. One day of POS training... Pos is outdated. DC's are needed out west. Two weeks allocation for new product and commerce shipments. Full time staff are hourly to provide work life balance.. We're still there all the time..

Advice to Management

More tools/time are/is needed to successfully coach, and provide corrective action for underperforming staff.

2. Hard work, very low wages

Current Employee - Seasonal Employee in North Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Seasonal Employee in North Houston, TX

I have been working at Kirkland's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are all super nice and we work well as a team.

Cons

Oh where do I begin...first off, be sure to look over any item that you buy from this store. If it has been scratched, you can bet there is marker all over it to cover up the scratches. Check for super glue or hot glue, they are famous for gluing something together well enough to sell it to you! Now onto the fun stuff: you get very little hours, maybe 10 a week. Only management gets anywhere close to 40 a week. You will never work over 5 hours a shift, they do NOT believe in giving breaks at all. You are literally on your feet for your entire 4-5 hour shift. They expect you to climb 12 foot tall ladders with no spotters, to place heavy, bulky items up on the top shelf of a display. If you ask for help, they frown at you. I seriously believe they really do not care about the safety of the employee, but they preach safety first. Ha. You apply for a full time, team member job. They interview you and let you know you will get anywhere between 20-30 hours a week, which is a lie. Then they offer you the job as a seasonal employee instead so they can pay you $8.25 instead of almost $9.00/hr with no benefits at all. Like I said, forget the 20-30 hours, you will get 10 a week. When the freight truck comes each week, they expect you and your co-workers to unload an entire truck under 2 hours (18 wheeler), while management is usually no where to be found. After you unload the truck, they expect you and your team to unpack every single box, assemble every lamp, restock the store and then discard of the cardboard and trash before your shift ends. Virtuously impossible if you receive over 200 boxes of freight. And management, what a joke! No matter what your age is you get treated like you are a child. Management speaks to you so rudely and boy do they lie, straight to your face.They lock your personal belongings and cell phones up when you arrive for your shift and you have no access to your items until the end of your shift when management unlocks the cabinet (which is at the cash wrap counter). If you are looking for a part time job in the home décor business, go to Hobby Lobby, they pay double what Kirkland's pays! One of our Sr. Managers seems like she really hates her job, so she takes it out on us. She went as far as to throw an item at a co-worker the other day because she did not like how the co-worker arranged her display. The proper action would have been to show her how you would like it to look, not throw an item at her. If it would have been me she threw the item at, she would be in jail for attempted assault with a metal wall hanging. I don't play childish games. I show up on time, do my job 100% and go home after my shift ends but no one cares. I know it is all about the all mighty dollar, but you will not keep quality employees by treating us badly.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your employees. Grow up and treat your employees like adults. Do not belittle your employees or talk bad about them when they are in ear range and can hear you. We all bust our butts to make your store look good while management sits around in the office and does who knows what. We are here to help our store succeed and some of us really do take pride in working for your company, so it would be nice to hear a compliment every now and then instead of rudeness. Plus, hire management that has experience. I have worked at several Kirkland's stores and all the store managers just seem to have a chip on their shoulder. You're lucky if you happen to see one of them smile. Also make their goals for the day attainable. We have to sign up so many people each day for the K credit card. In today's society, not everyone is just eager to hand over the social security number to the young adult behind the counter. I know I never will. Just please be nicer to your employees. We show up, work so hard for such little pay, and don't even get as much as a thank you for your hard work today! It is pathetic.

3. Very restricted company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Kirkland's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you just want a job to fill some time or maybe a second job this would be a good one.

Cons

There is no possibility of getting over 20 hours consistently because then you would qualify for vacation time and they can't have that. and I don't know if this is a problem with multiple Kirkland's or just the one I work at but more people are being hired when the people working now are only getting ten hours.

Advice to Management

You shouldn't hire more people when you don't have enough hours to go around as it is.

5. Good experience overall

Former Employee - Third Assistant Manager in Flower Mound, TX
    Former Employee - Third Assistant Manager in Flower Mound, TX

I worked at Kirkland's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that I worked with were great and I enjoyed the job itself. Merchandising guidelines and expectations were clear and management was always willing to help when needed.

Cons

Managers of different stores were very obvious about not liking each other. Also, a lot of the products we sold were not of great quality and would fall apart very easily which sometimes made for awkward customer returns.

Advice to Management

Keep caring for your employees and drop the politics.

6. It's nice but..

Former Employee - Stockroom Associate
    Former Employee - Stockroom Associate

I worked at Kirkland's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount is great. The product is great. Some customers are wonderful. If you can handle certain things it's a great place to get the experience for other jobs.

Cons

Management sucks. They pick one person and single them out and blame them for everything. My mom got cancer so I dropped down to just doing truck in Wednesday. And when I did that things got so much worst. They singled me out for everything. 500 boxes didn't get opened, it's only one team members fault. It's like they were asking me to quit. They were not flexible with my moms cancer appointments. The management at my store just sucked.

Advice to Management

Actually care about your employees well being. Don't dismiss what they are saying and pretend to care when they put in their 2 week notice. Stop playing favorites. One of you is insanely close to another stock person and you clearly favor her over all the others. Just grow up and be an actual manager.

2nd Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager- Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager- Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Kirkland's (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work especially around the holidays. Love to see all the new items when they come in. My store manager is wonderful and really tries to accommodate days off requests.

Cons

Requires employee to offer full time hours but only gives you part time work! Under paid for amount of work and responsibilities given. Associate discount not much more than coupons customers can use. You'll send all you make there if you like to decorate your house. In the last several years the store has been open on certain holidays like Thanksgiving and they don't pay any extra to those working those days!!!

Advice to Management

Pay employees more, pay for holiday hours (Thanksgiving) when the store is open on a national holiday! Don't be open on national holidays!!!

8. A good time

Pros

Can move up in company

Cons

You are tired when you go home

Sales Associate & Key Holder

Former Employee - Sales Associate and Key Holder in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate and Key Holder in Louisville, KY

I worked at Kirkland's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people make it worth it. I loved coming to work because I built great friendships with my co-workers. It was fun to help customers decorate. Laid back environment. My particular store worked flexibly with my schedule. Easy part time job if you have other responsibilities. Not usually stressful.

Cons

Quality of products should be better. We always had broken or defective merchandise and it was embarrassing. Pay is not great, and they are not keen on offering raises, even if you have a flawless record and loyalty. The only people who get full time are store manager and senior assistant. Employees get not much better of a discount than a customer does with a coupon.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like they're more important, and maybe they'll stay. Offer employees better incentives.

Downhill Fast

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at Kirkland's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

large turn-over so the team cohesion has even left the building so to speak. The team members were a positive at one time. The products all made in China and quality is becoming more and more awful. The discount was a pro, but now with customer discounts being the same ...

Cons

Awful pay, awful hours, unsafe environment. It doesn't seem to be store managements issue - they are only doing what the company tells them to do. Between the high turnover of employees (hours change constantly so hard to supplement with another job...or two. The quality of the merchandise - Kirklands is becoming the dollar store of home decorating, and that is sad. I really did once love this company.

Advice to Management

None.

11. sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Kirkland's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great group of folks to work with. Employee discounts

Cons

Hourly wage could be higher as competitor are starting wages around 8.00 to 8.50

Advice to Management

Only advice I could give would be to have a way to talk more directly to associates instead of just through management. Maybe an online schedule and employee esuite.

RSS Feed </> Embed