Kirkland's

Updated November 16, 2014
2.5

Kirkland's CEO and Director Robert E. Alderson
Robert E. Alderson

Pros
  • The employee discount and the team cohesion was the best part of the job (in 12 reviews)

• I had friendly co workers who were easy to work with (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • All task driven, no support from upper management, treats employees like thieves (in 14 reviews)

• District manager does not hold people accountable at any level (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Work done DOES NOT equal the LOUSY pay!Slave labor. emptying truck before dawn (4am) for $8.50 an hour.

I have been working at Kirkland's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, because management did not want to fire anyone because no one wanted to work there when they found out pay & what work that little pay entails.

Cons

EVERYTHING! no incentives when you sell their credit cards or rewards club. no rewards for employees. employee discount is terrible. Loss prevention watches us like we are criminals. can't combine coupons if you are a credit card holder with employee discount. VERY UNFAIR WORK PRACTICES.

Increase your pay & turnover will not be so high. Offer raises. Was with store for almost 2 years & no raise. if you are a 'Christian' based company then be Christ like & offer a liveable wage especially for emptying a truck of sometimes 800 boxes that could weigh at the least 10 lbs & the most 50 lbs. Doing this in rain & snow AT 4 AM is DANGEROUS!

GOOD COMPANY BAD MERCHANDISE

I have been working at Kirkland's

Pros

great pay, hours, and company

Cons

merchandise is crap! falls apart. It is all for props. Nothing else

stop moving the product so much. by the time it is sold, it's falling apart!!

Dont expect much!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Kirkland's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Merchandise is awesome and the prices are great! Always getting new stuff in!

Cons

TOO much work and NOT enough pay!!! The expectations of what corporate want can not be met. The only people they hire to work full time are the store manager and assistant manager and they work them like a dog!

PAY MORE!!!!!!!!!!!! Just because your merchandise is cheap does not mean you have to be. You have lost a lot of amazing people from your company because they cant live on what you are willing to pay for what you expect out of them. Not much room to grow inside the company if so you can count on you moving out of town.

I really like working for kirklands

Current Employee - Cashier/Stock/Sales in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stock/Sales in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Kirkland's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great if you enjoy interacting with customers.

Great sales and discounts.

Cons

Commission should be offered to the sales associates/cashiers. We do alot of work; bringing heavy items down from the stock room etc.

In my store within the first 3 months of opening the store the store manager quit, 2 assistant managers, an associate and the store manager that replaced the first store manager quit as well. Oh, and the district manager as well.

Only send merchandise that is popular in that district and at that location. Shipment consists of items that do not sell which makes the back room over stocked.

Great products, fun people to work with but the company needs to provide safer equipment necessary for the job

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Midlothian, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Midlothian, VA

I worked at Kirkland's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great products,great discount,decent pay, very loyal customer base

Cons

Needs to have a more up to date computer system to make searching for a product easier which would provide much better customer service,something with thumbnails which had a sku would have been amazing..

Try meeting your associates and ask them for new ideas that could help the company give even better customer service ;-)

Kirkland's was a great company to work for.

I worked at Kirkland's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Merchandise was great. Company has a solid customer base.

Cons

Reorganization resulted in the loss of some very good people.

None

A job that will do in a pinch.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Peachtree City, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Peachtree City, GA

I worked at Kirkland's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff and atmosphere was great!

Cons

They consistently asked me to perform duties that were unsafe. The ceilings were extremely tall and the ladders were not. They would expect you to stand on the very tip-top of a 10 foot ladder to hang decorations.

Provide adequate equipment.

Exhausting

I worked at Kirkland's

Pros

They give a good discount

Cons

work way too many hours and handle merch way too much

unfriendly upper management

Miserable Experience!

I worked at Kirkland's

Pros

Nice discount and that's about it!

Cons

Little to no room for advancement. Very poor leadership and training. Difficult and unrealistic expectations. Constant movement of product which makes it difficult for part time employees able to keep up and customers disgruntled because they are unable to find what they found in the store one day prior. Unprofessional behavior from upper management & favoritism to certain associates. Required to climb large ladders that are not safety ladders and must be able & willing to unload trucks in ALL kinds of weather! Some of which is large pieces of furniture & mirrors. Most merchandise is cheaply made & doesn't hold it's value. I do not & will not recommend this company for a place of employment. The job needs to be challenging yet fun and a positive place to come into. Too much drama and backstabbing from team members all the way up to store management. Don't let the fake smiles fool you! That place is a joke!

There are no perks except discount. Leadership sucks! Culture is a joke! Too much favoritism & backstabbing! Learn to be professional and curb your attitude. From the bottom to the top everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time. Your "title" and pay makes you no better than those you pay minimum wage to and do your dirty work.

Poor management and little care for store employees

I worked at Kirkland's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced work environment with rapidly changing product kept things fun and interesting. Good employee discount.

Cons

High expectations of all employees and very low pay. Upper management does not care about the store employees. In the district I worked in, every store turned over the Store Manager 2-3 times in ONE year. Every store. Even though multiple people in a variety of positions and stores have made formal complaints to HR, there have been few changes in regards to the behavior of the District Manager. I realize that some of the Store Managers probably needed to go, but some of them were the District Manager's own hires/promotions. Is it realistic to believe that EVERY store cannot keep a Store Manager for more than one year, or is there maybe a problem with the District Manager's leadership style?

We were expected to follow planograms to the letter, but did not get the product to support it, so were faced with having to choose something else to put in the display. When the DM came in the store she always had a scowl on her face and hated everything we had done. She would proceed to rip displays down, leaving product all over the store in an unsafe manner for customers to shop, go sit in the office on the phone, and then leave a huge, impossible list for us to complete over the busy weekend. The DM would tell us we weren't doing anything right, but when we asked her for help, direction, or best practices, she would tell us to "just fix it" and that she didn't have time to "babysit" us.

The company provides no training, you have to figure it all out yourself, but if it's not done correctly, there will be consequences.

Pay attention to your store employees and listen to them. They are the people who are bringing money into the company. Value your employees, and show them that they are valued.