Kirkwood Community College

Reset
3.9
CEO

1. Faculty

I worked at Kirkwood Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family culture, strong emphasis on student success, and overall many great people to work with. A lot of opportunity for innovation. If you have an idea you can run with it!

Cons

Because they are a community college, one of their roles is to satisfy community needs. Sometimes this can get overwhelming as so many opportunities present themselves.

Advice to Management

Leadership needs to say "no" sometimes to potentially good and exciting ideas that do not advance the overall mission of the college.

2. Great place to work

Current Employee - Peer Tutor in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Peer Tutor in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Kirkwood Community College (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly management and easy to get hired.

Cons

Terrible pay and few hours.

3. Excellent company to work for. Fast advancement. Very friendly co-workers and understanding supervisors.

Former Employee - Banquet Server in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Banquet Server in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Kirkwood Community College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding company to work for all the way around.

Cons

Double shifts because of call ins.

Advice to Management

Don't let so many employees get away with being late, standing around, bickering back and forth.

5. Not hard, good pace.

Current Employee - Computer Lab Assistant in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Computer Lab Assistant in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Kirkwood Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job was a little monotonous, but the work was nice. We got to work with students and help them figure out any computer issues. Since most of the workers were students, scheduling and such was easy.

Cons

Boss was hard to reach since she was stretched between multiple campuses. I wanted to do more than just sit at the Lab Desk, but nobody would train me in more advanced IT Methods. Coworkers were pretty catty.

Advice to Management

Pay a little more. Update hardware. Expect more from employees and train to do more than just sit and monitor a Computer Lab.

6. Facilities

Pros

Great people to work with. Awesome job.

Cons

Nothing really wrong with anything there.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

7. Kirkwood Community College

Current Employee - Instructor in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Kirkwood Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good working conditions. Colleagues care about the students at the college.

Cons

Very large institution. Slow movement on decisions.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. A great place to help students begin their college career and determine their path to success.

Pros

Student interaction, small class sizes allow for individualized attention.

Cons

Difficult to advance your ideas to garner college support. Gaining consensus to move improvements forward.

Advice to Management

Value the thoughts, ideas, and suggestions of the employees.

9. Kirkwood Alumni who is currently an Adjunct Instructor at Kirkwood.

Pros

One of the best reasons for working at Kirkwood is the one-on-one experience of helping students gain the necessary skills to become community an professional leaders. This is accomplished by Kirkwood maintaining a reasonable class size which is controllable by th instructor.

Cons

Unfortunately due to the declining enrollment caused by demographic shifts Kirkwood is currently experiencing restructuring in many departments. This is leading to a certain amount of discontent by many employees.

Advice to Management

Step back and review what had made Kirkwood a leader in community colleges and adjust the current path appropriately.

10. The Heritage Area Agency on Aging does not value their employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Kirkwood Community College full-time

Pros

As a department of Kirkwood Community College, the benefits are excellent and the College is full of great people.

Cons

Executive Director is not competent to run the agency. Management team does not accept concerns or complaints in a receptive manner and will tell you that is "Just the way it is," or "That is our policy," or "That is none of your business." Many of the policies are not even followed or it is selective to certain employees. Management does not put in a full 40 hours and are rarely available to the staff that report to them. Constant crisis management. No forethought. Reactive instead of proactive. The morale is so low people are extremely unhappy and find it hard to go to work in the morning. This has also been brought to their attention with no action only to be told to find employment elsewhere. Management continues to dump more and more responsibilities off of subordinates, while taking less on themselves. They expect office staff to fill management rolls in their absence, including crisis situations. It is a toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

Take employee concerns seriously and act to remedy situations. Put in your time and make an effort at your duties. You will be experiencing a high turn over and a low retention rate in the future. Value your employees.

11. Good place to work.

Pros

Supportive staff. I felt I could teach and structure my classes in ways that really helped me deliver the material and work with the students. No one was hanging over my shoulder.

Cons

Sometimes I worried that the administration would not support me if a student challenged by grading or my refusal to accept late work.

RSS Feed </> Embed