Kirkwood Community College

Kirkwood Community College Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

A great place to help students begin their college career and determine their path to success.

ProsStudent interaction, small class sizes allow for individualized attention.

ConsDifficult to advance your ideas to garner college support. Gaining consensus to move improvements forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the thoughts, ideas, and suggestions of the employees.

Kirkwood Alumni who is currently an Adjunct Instructor at Kirkwood.

ProsOne of the best reasons for working at Kirkwood is the one-on-one experience of helping students gain the necessary skills to become community an professional leaders. This is accomplished by Kirkwood maintaining a reasonable class size which is controllable by th instructor.

ConsUnfortunately due to the declining enrollment caused by demographic shifts Kirkwood is currently experiencing restructuring in many departments. This is leading to a certain amount of discontent by many employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep back and review what had made Kirkwood a leader in community colleges and adjust the current path appropriately.

The Heritage Area Agency on Aging does not value their employees

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsAs a department of Kirkwood Community College, the benefits are excellent and the College is full of great people.

ConsExecutive Director is not competent to run the agency. Management team does not accept concerns or complaints in a receptive manner and will tell you that is "Just the way it is," or "That is our policy," or "That is none of your business." Many of the policies are not even followed or it is selective to certain employees. Management does not put in a full 40 hours and are rarely available to the staff that report to them. Constant crisis management. No forethought. Reactive instead of proactive. The morale is so low people are extremely unhappy and find it hard to go to work in the morning. This has also been brought to their attention with no action only to be told to find employment elsewhere. Management continues to dump more and more responsibilities off of subordinates, while taking less on themselves. They expect office staff to fill management rolls in their absence, including crisis situations. It is a toxic work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake employee concerns seriously and act to remedy situations. Put in your time and make an effort at your duties. You will be experiencing a high turn over and a low retention rate in the future. Value your employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSupportive staff. I felt I could teach and structure my classes in ways that really helped me deliver the material and work with the students. No one was hanging over my shoulder.

ConsSometimes I worried that the administration would not support me if a student challenged by grading or my refusal to accept late work.

Kirkwood Community College offers opportunities for employees to soar to success!

Department Assistant (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsKirkwood will pay for 6 credits of schooling per semester if taking courses here! If taking courses at Mt. Mercy University...50% tuition is paid by my employer!!

ConsSince I have been at Kirkwood, I have not found one con to speak of!!

Neutral feelings

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsDiverse customers, got to learn about other aspects of the college,
    fairly laid back, nice co-workers. First 2 years of employment I enjoyed and looked forward to working each day. Then many changes occurred and my trust and loyalty toward management diminished.

ConsPay, benefits, absolutely no communication within the department, part time employees are not treated at as part of 'the team'. Feel uninformed about new developments. Never know when supervisor will be at work.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that part time employees are the cornerstone of the institution. And reward them better, with pay, bonuses or benefits. This college does not like to hire within the organization and does show favoritism towards the younger work group.

Terminated with NO cause!!!

Record Specialist (Former Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsPride in mission and students.

ConsPay is very low for support staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is very obvious that admin looks out for admin. They all stick together, so there is no upper management to go to if there is problems with a current supervisor.

The first few years were good, then the polotics really started to take hold.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsYou do good for people who need a boost in life

ConsHierarchy often gets in the way of people doing what's right. Too many politics to play between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to what made it such a great place to work for

adjuncts do most of the work and get little compensation, no benefits.

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

Prosinteresting students; outreach to more remote/rural communities is commendable

Consadjunct faculty do most of the teaching work and yet get none of the security or benefits. kirkwood places a cap on the number of sections an adjunct can teach in a schoolyear, which most likely means you'll need a second job to earn a decent living.

great overall place to work

Banquet Supervisor (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsGreat place to work, good people

Conslong hours/weekends no room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to listen to there employees for advice instead of just assuming they know whats going on.

Worked for Kirkwood Community College? Contribute to the Community!