Kittelson & Associates

Updated May 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark Vandehey

Great values and culture, very smart and high quality work.

Transportation Analyst (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGood culture and values - "outward focus", "independently successful people", "contribute to the industry through research and professional development", etc. High focus on research and quality in the work in a firm that has many of the experts that wrote the guide books used in the industry. Terrific professional development through internship program. Generous retirement (15% of salary amount contributed to IRA) but cuts into base salary.

ConsSometimes a little overbearing in personal issues. Especially in office selection and doing what's right for you versus what's best for the firm. Finding the best win-win solution may not always satisfy personal desires.

Great people, needs better benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsKAI is very supportive of growing your interests and engaging you in a diverse range of projects. The people are very pleasant, and, despite having more than a dozen offices, you meet almost all of them through office exchanges. There are lots of folks who have been there for most if not all of their careers.

ConsThe structure is flat so there is really no room for promotions. This seems to allow them to also keep their pay low. There is no additional contribution to retirement, so you get paid a lower than average salary to start with, and then they automatically take 15% of that and put it in an IRA. Work/life balance is terrible, and the bonuses they pay at the end of the year do not make up for the unpaid overtime you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementI realize that there is a certain amount of time as an entry-level employee that you have to "pay your dues," but I'm not sure how long you should expect your employees to work long hours for less than competitive pay before they move somewhere more lucrative.

Kittelson is the perfect company to work for--friendly, generous, open, innovative--a wonderful community!"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOne-firm Community, Great Values, Interesting Clients

ConsNone that I can think of!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Extremely strong values, excellent/high quality work products, good salary.

Engineering Associate (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsLots of research and training ensures you are learning the best methods from early in your career. Great values and good to staff. Very supportive for staff who want to go to grad school.

ConsHigh expectation to take home work with you, pay is solid but not as high as larger AE firms.

Great introduction to transportation, very welcoming and supportive environment

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsThe internship program is very well-managed and they are incredibly supportive of the professional development of their interns. Opportunity to work on a variety of projects and direct access to everyone in the company. The company culture favors a work-life balance, though this also means that many projects are taken on as revenue-generators, not as interesting projects.

ConsProjects are not always the most innovative and tend to be very car-centric. Many projects were basic TIAs that generate revenue but aren't anything new.

Progressive growth in transportation planning and engineering

Transportation Planner (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsFirm with strong values; great exposure and opportunity; embraces staff interests and initiatives; collaborative environment;

Conslong consulting hours; not located in the most desirable cities

Laid back environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsLaid back environment, anyone can work on any project they want

ConsLess pay than competitors, presence of 'inner circle', favoritism

It was a very educational experience with many opportunities

Transportation Analyst (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThere was lots of communication throughout all offices and provided many opportunities to work and travel in various parts of the country

ConsIt was easy to become pigeonholed into one type of project and while it was suggested that it was easy to move around, I felt as if I did the same type of projects over and over.

It was a great place to learn about transportation

Inter (Former Employee)

ProsThere was a lot of opportunity to get involved in projects of interest.

ConsIt is a very car-centric company.

Worked for Kittelson & Associates? Contribute to the Community!