Kiwi Crate Reviews

Updated June 26, 2014
Updated June 26, 2014

3.5

CEO

Great people, a lot of positive emotions

Current Employee - IT Consultant QA  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - IT Consultant QA in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Kiwi Crate as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Company values, team-building, great atmosphere

Cons

Personal growth, culture, a lot of opportunities.

Great people, great food, organized and responsive.

I worked at Kiwi Crate as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

As a contract employee, I was treated as if I were a FT regular employee. I was thoroughly trained, almost over trained, but it proved helpful in the end. Free catered lunches once a week with the entire company, games are played such stand up/sit down, it's really fun to get to know your co-workers this way. Upon leaving, I was given a gift and cards as a few other contractors were too, and a small party with cake. Everyone was very nice to work with.

Cons

For the regular FT employees- long hours, lots of hard work!

Sandra's doing something right! It works great!

Good place for people seeking a fun place with work life balance

I worked at Kiwi Crate full-time

Pros

- A casual, fun environment
    - Full of nice, smart people
    - Opportunities for work-life balance

Cons

- Some execs have favorites which affects how much attention, opportunities, and tokens of appreciation you get. The atmosphere can feel cliquey.
    - Things change quickly and with little notice
    - Many part-time people which means things can't move as quickly.

- While the casual environment is good and as much as you want to be friends with your employees, remember that you are leaders.
    - Leadership should be full-time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not all it is cracked up to be

Current Employee - Warehouse  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Kiwi Crate as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The concept is great in that it fosters creativity for children.
    Some of the employees are very nice
    Very clean facility

Cons

-I worked in the warehouse and left before my first 30 days were up. I wanted to work my way up but was discontent with the way some workers are treated.
    -Poor pay for warehouse workers who are on their feet all day - $9/hr. There was no way I could see staying there doing manual labor and being exhausted for a few dollars a day.
    -Lunch and snacks are provided for the office staff while there is nothing provided for the warehouse staff at all.
    -Items for the kits are all imported from China and I'm not sure some of the things are safe such as the glue, glowsticks, etc.
    -Warehouse employees are hired on as contractors so that they don't have to give the option of health insurance & other benefits.

-Instead of purchasing food daily for the office staff you should increase the pay of the hardworking people who assemble the boxes to go out.
    -Have a reward system when goals are met for the warehouse staff.

Hands-on process driven managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Kiwi Crate as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Work with kids
    Create/design new crafts for kids
    Good hard workers

Cons

High turnover
    Underpaid workers
    Long hours
    Too much overhead

Empower employees and let them take ownership of products

Frenzied Fun

I worked at Kiwi Crate full-time for less than a year

Pros

-There are many opportunities to be creative and try out new ideas quickly
    -If you like kids (or you're a big kid yourself), there are always kids running around during product testing -- lots of fun!
    -Opportunities to make contributions/learn from many different departments; not hierarchical since it's a small company
    -Leadership sets a good example by pitching in WHEREVER there's a need, no matter how big or small
    -If you think of an idea or project, you can often take the reins on it (this can be good or bad, but if you're the type who loves to constantly learn new skills, then you'll definitely have the opportunity to do so)
    -Weekly (or biweekly) Friday Olympics and company-sponsored lunches where we all eat family style -- provides an opportunity to get to know people you don't often work with

Cons

-Moves at a very fast pace; many still check/respond to emails late in the evening and on weekends
    -Constantly shifting priorities, which means it can be difficult to know where and how much to focus

Help new employees identify goals and objectives, so he/she has a good sense of the "big picture" and why they were hired

Great start-up

I have been working at Kiwi Crate full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people
    Small company
    Contributions are visible
    Flexible schedules

Cons

Employees not celebrated as much for milestones or achievements.
    Only 15 days vacation including sick days
    Priorities shift numerous times making it hard to complete projects on time

Make it known that the employees are what drives a company to succeed and treat them well. It's not always about generous compensation.

Worst job experience of my career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Kiwi Crate for less than a year

Pros

I like interacting with all the children

Cons

I'm actually surprised at some of the higher rated reviews and suspect they are fake as they were so far from my experience Upper management is very unorganized, and even worse, is disrespectful to staff. To make matters worse, it's hard to get paid. But perhaps my biggest problem is that there are some ethical problems with Kiwi Crate. I observed that the managing team would stoop to low, shady activities to get ahead of the competition. Even worse is the way they try to manipulate their customers. A very tense place to work based on a culture of dishonesty and fear.

Put you people and your customers first and don't hyper-focus on the bottom line

Best Internship Experience Ever.

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Kiwi Crate as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It was pretty small when I got there, the management team had about 25 people and a good number were contract staff. But that means that as an intern I had the opportunity to dabble in many things as well.

Office culture was good, there was almost no hierachy- I could speak to the CEO directly. There were also team games every friday and team lunches on the company's account every wednesday.

The marketing team members were very willing to teach me and share their experience and expertise, and trusting enough to assign me tasks as well, which was great. I learnt a lot about social media through the hands-on experience. My manager let me spearhead their awards strategy on my own, which showed how trusting she was and how generous she was in finding things for me to do.

It's also super exciting to be part of such a swiftly growing company. You get to watch the team expand, and to forge new ground with them everyday.

This internship experience turned out to be a great highlight of my resume. Thanks Kiwi Crate.

Cons

It takes about 15 minutes to walk to the Caltrain and 20 minutes to walk to a Bus Stop, which can get tiring, but if you drive, it's not a problem.

under-appreciated workers

I worked at Kiwi Crate full-time for less than a year

Pros

-You get to be a part of a great product and see all aspects of the business.
    -All teams work closely together and people are generally friendly.
    -Location is great
    -Kid Testing is really fun, and the work atmosphere is casual

Cons

-The CEO (and other upper management) can be pretty condescending. I understand that they're under the most pressure and they can't hand-hold everyone. But there's no excuse for the way they often times talk down to people for small mistakes.
    -It all feels very clique-y and you can tell immediately what the office politics are like.
    -Getting paid is also a hassle, and the office is not very organized.
    -it can be difficult to figure out exactly what you are supposed to do because people are giving you conflicting orders.
    -You will feel very under-appreciated.
    -You will be expected to work long hours.

Stop treating some of your employees like dirt under your shoes.

Worked for Kiwi Crate? Contribute to the Community!