Kixeye

Updated December 16, 2014
3.4

Kixeye CEO Will Harbin
Will Harbin

Pros
  • Good Work/Life Balance (most of time) (in 5 reviews)

• Unlimited PTO, somewhat fun place to work, company outings every now and then (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The culture of fear the company said they were moving away from has actually returned with a vengeance (in 9 reviews)

• Work life balance can be hard sometimes due to the heavy workload, but hey (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

They like to fire top managers

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good benefit, unlimited PTO, People in production teams are generally friendly with experiences. Casual working environment

Cons

They postpone yearly review in order not to give a raise to their employees. It happened to me and another 2 co workers. My friend almost works there for 2 years and hasn't gotten his one year review. Upper managers got fired/let go/quit all the time. they got 4 CTO in 18 months. its really hard to make good progress when they constantly changing the head manages. Marketing team can change whatever they want without coordinating with production team.

GIVE YOUR EMPLOYEES THEIR YEARLY REVIEW. They deserve it. Think twice to hire people or fire people

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love working here. Great place, great friends, engaging work. Lots of autonomy. On my team, hard work and value adds are noticed and rewarded.

Cons

They took out my favorite snack one time, but it's okay.

Remember what's gone right and wrong over the last few years. Iterate on failures, duplicate practices that have generated success. Be willing to take the right risks and innovate.

Bad Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kixeye full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to get a job there, they seem desperate, flexible leave, some middle management are way better than the company deserves (not speaking about myself) , OK compensation.

Cons

Upper Management are egomaniacs and rule by fear, systems are a mess, company expects to own your life, Limited product, Chaotic Work environment, Out of control, good workforce being screwed over

Stop treating people as cattle would be a start

Bad

I worked at Kixeye

Pros

is it not very good at all so i dont like it! pay is good :) the games are crap donty wqork there if u can bye

Cons

everything nothing is good here computers are old and the ceo is an bad over all its a bad place to work

Huge potential and a positive environment

Current Employee - Senior Gameplay Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Gameplay Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hours are fair and the employees have a good attitude overall. I love the catered lunches (good restaurant choices) and the facilities are pretty nice. The game that I'm working on isn't the best, but we have a good attitude about it and it makes a lot of $$. This isn't one of those "always-b-crunching" studios. Easy vacation requests.

Cons

I don't care for the paint job of the office. The older products that we support aren't engineered very well, though the new games rock.

If you can stand the pressure and want to commit totally, you will do well.

I worked at Kixeye full-time

Pros

People are top-notch and there are lots of chances to advance. Lots of autonomy for individual contributors. Generous vacation and other benefits.

Cons

Culture is reactive and sometimes can turn to fear. Work-life balance is not feasible. Under pressure, there tends to be bias for the fastest solution instead of the best solution.

Awesome place to work, grow, & meet fantastic people

I have been working at Kixeye full-time

Pros

I smile at work – like A LOT. This is a fun place to be. People at KIXEYE find humor in the simplest things and it makes everything from the biggest project to the most mundane task entertaining.

The challenges and opportunity – this company grew from 50 to 500 people in a matter of a couple of years. While KIXEYE has figured a lot out in its short life, there are still plenty of big and interesting challenges left to be tackled leaving great opportunity for people to step in and influence change. I’ve seen incredible career growth (increases in compensation, responsibility, influence) since I have been here.

The people – KIXEYE hires incredibly talented and passionate people. It’s a requirement. You’ve got to fall into both buckets to be successful, making the people a great perk of the job.

Other misc. perks: great lunches, flexible vacation policy, fun team outings, strong bonus potential, great lunch/happy hour spots close to the office.

Cons

Sometimes the office leaves something to be desired with regard to décor. I wish it had more art on the walls and more color in general.

The location leaves BART my only commuting option unless I want to pay $400+ per month for parking. BART is disgusting.

We grew very quickly and are still cleaning up some of the aftermath of that. We have some old processes/tools that need to be revamped to reflect the company we are now.

Executive Chaos

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kixeye full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some really fantastic individual contributors, nice building, free lunches and a feeling of community

Cons

A lot of the camaraderie develops from the griping about the chaos created by management. Teams are constantly randomized by shifting executive priorities and a revolving door of leadership. The executive team is not honest with themselves about their goals and priorities and that chaos doesn't just trickle down to the teams, it gushes.

Will is a CEO, not a game designer, executive producer or art director. Get him away from the game teams. You hire great professionals and then don't let them do the work you hired them to do. Fix your management issues and KIXEYE can succeed.

Tough work, but a ton of fun.

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked at KIXEYE for almost 2 years, and loved every minute of it. There is no doubt that it can be very challenging at times, but putting in good effort, and work, is rewarded very well here. It's not for everyone, but if you like dynamic work places, taking on challenges, and working with great people this is the place for you.

Cons

Things do change a lot...and can be a bit hectic at times. Communication from the top down could also be better.

Let more C level execs speak at all hands meetings, work on overall company communication.

Fun, Hardworking People Making Great Games

I have been working at Kixeye full-time

Pros

I've worked at KIXEYE almost 3 years and the company has done so many good things for me. I was able to turn around my career focus and I've found an industry that I love. Even when I started as a Customer Support agent I always felt like my voice was heard and I still consider my first manager to be a mentor. I've been able to move "up the ladder" several times in the past few years and I've always worked with great colleagues and amazing leaders. The general perks (lunches, gym, bonuses) are fantastic, but the biggest pro for this company is being able to work with smart, capable people that work hard. And yes, you do have to work hard to do well here.

Cons

Like most companies, KIXEYE has seen massive growth and also slight declines. The bonus structure was changed a little drastically in the beginning of the year, but I have faith in the games that are coming down the pipeline. I think 2015 will be a defining year for KIXEYE.

This is general advice to all management at all companies: don't underestimate the people in starting positions. I've worked with some of the smartest, and hardworking people in Customer Support, Community Management, and Quality Assurance. There's a lot of great talent in these roles that can sometimes be overlooked when a new position becomes available.