Kline & Company

Updated October 10, 2014
2.9

Kline & Company Chairman and CEO Joe Tarantola
Joe Tarantola

Challenging, stimulating career with a team of dedicated, talented individuals

I have been working at Kline & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Kline offers friendly and collaborative professional atmosphere. Working at Kline offers the chance to build relationships with global business leaders in the industries served and assist them with key strategy for business improvement. Very exciting opportunities; each individual has the platform to shine!

Cons

challenge sometimes leads to long hours to get the job done right, working in virtual offices around the world, we have to make a conscientious effort to keep the flow of communication and organization at its best. This can be challenging at times.

Kline is clearly an employer of choice

I have been working at Kline & Company as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Kline is a well respected industry leader in both market research and management consulting. It is unique in that all levels of employees gain incredible exposure and experience to both clients and Kline management while working in a collegial and supportive environment. At Kline, you are not judged by face time in the office, rather, results. They respect and model work/life balance - which is very difficult to find in any company, especially in this industry!

Cons

I have not experienced any negatives working for Kline.

Don't change a thing!

Solid career path with opportunities to work with leaders and innovators in key industries like Energy and Chemicals.

Current Employee - Director/Manager
    Current Employee - Director/Manager

I have been working at Kline & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Provides opportunities to work with C-Level clients on interesting and challenging projects in an international / multi-cultural environment. A "small family" atmosphere where everyone cares about the job that they do and helping each other succeed. Great training programs and continued education, long-term career path.

Cons

Not a huge company so lots of multi-tasking, deadlines can be high pressure and sometimes there is a lack of internal resources. Business can be unpredictable, extreme highs and lows. Many home and virtual offices in different countries make communication a challenge.

Great work/life balance and interesting work

I have been working at Kline & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are several perks that I have seen with Kline, noted below:
    Access to Kline Senior Leadership – Kline is a non-hierarchical organization, all levels of leadership are approachable and available at any time for a discussion, and your ideas are heard
    Flexibility - management understands the need for work/life balance and believes that there is give and take, as long as the work gets accomplished
    Client Access – Firm cultural belief that whoever does the work/research earns the right to present it to and interact with the client
    Upward Movement – Promotions are merit-based, not need-based or time at level
    Rapid Knowledge Base Development – Work across industry and functional practices - good variety of projects, clients, and teams within the Kline organization (typical projects are around 3 months)

Cons

Has the typical challenges of a small company
    - low purchasing leverage for healthcare and other benefits
    - smaller external budget for IT, training, etc. than larger firms (but good support and internal initiatives)
    - less policies and formal processes established an in place than competing firms (less structured)

Medium sized management consulting company

I worked at Kline & Company

Pros

Friendly environment, most managers even senior managers are very approachable. Because of the size of the company consultants have the opportunity to take on quite some responsibility. Very good place to get consulting experience.

Cons

Company is not really growing sufficiently enough to allow for a long term career path, a lot of the senior slots have been filled up, not necessarily with the most qualified people.

Be more selective in promoting the right people for the right functions some people seem to be in senior functions becasue they have been that long with the company not becasuez they have the right skill set.

I have been working with the company for the past few years and the going has been smooth and steady

I have been working at Kline & Company full-time

Pros

It has been good working with Kline over the past few years - at times it's been challenging, at times relaxing

Cons

At times, you feel you are in the midst of nothing

2 years experience with Kline

I worked at Kline & Company

Pros

challenging work everyday, good for future career

Cons

too much dependent on cold calls to collect info, too much pressure on consultant

Good

I have been working at Kline & Company

Pros

Interesting work, great people and collaboration, and excellent credentials in eyes of clients. Having a publications business as well as a consulting business gives a tool hat many firms have to go outside for; consistent contact with clients due to those studies also provides benefits to the consulting team.

Cons

Some seniors don't pull their weight and don't engage well with juniors but this is not uniform. Sometimes lacking tools that larger firms have

Out of date and questionable research methods.

Former Employee - Freelance
    Former Employee - Freelance

I worked at Kline & Company as a contractor

Pros

Research work was relatively easy. Work schedule was flexible. Client was friendly.

Cons

My client was consistently late (as in weeks/month) in reviewing/verifying my work, often instructing me to move forward despite the fact that I relied on her input (ok data) in order to write my report. This led to numerous errors and revisions. Report updates were tailored to satisfy paying clients rather than represent the facts. Revisions to historical reports, even if necessary, were frowned upon, leading to compounded errors. Plus, additional work was requested without additional pay. No history of previous calculations; I've never seen this before. How do they know how previous analysts arrived at their numbers?

Should really review/revamp entire report process.

Kline & Company Response

Aug 12, 2013Recruiter

We are disappointed to hear you had such a negative experience cooperating as a freelance associate with Kline. We strongly disagree with some of your statements and specifically your assertation ... More

Employees are promoted based on the length of service not their performance

Current Employee - Research Analyst
    Current Employee - Research Analyst

I have been working at Kline & Company

Pros

Easy to reach management
    Semi-flexible work schedule

Cons

Work disorganization
    Low salary and poor benefits
    Takes two years to be promoted to the next level
    Management takes credit for work of others

To revaluate its promotion standards