Kloeckner Metals Reviews

29 reviews filtered by
2.9
Bill Partalis

1. Featured Review

My experience has been positive and fulfilling.

I have been working at Kloeckner Metals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay and good benefits. Management seeks out employees who are top performers for future leadership roles. This is very encouraging. I've seen a lot of internal promotions and career advancement.

Cons

There are no micro managers here. If you're use to always being told what to do, this might not be a good fit.

Advice to Management

Encourage all department heads to have status meetings with their key employees.

2. best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Warehouseman Crane Operator Forklift Driver in West Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kloeckner Metals full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

lots of overtime this job created for me

Cons

the demand of a lot of overtime

Advice to Management

continue to work in a safe environment

3. Family / Personal Time Policy Ruse.

Current Employee - CNC Laser Operator in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - CNC Laser Operator in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Kloeckner Metals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CNC operators lots of overtime, decent pay.

Cons

continuous "mandatory overtime", equals high family and personal stress that leads to unsafe working conditions and devastation of the family, no time for required functions like, vehicle inspections, doctors appointments, kids school affairs, home & yard services and the like.

Advice to Management

fix your poor second shift management problem, correctly compute production capacities (with realistic times), hire more CNC staff fix work schedules to reflect your "family / Personal time" Policies

Stressful. Not even close to what it had been.

Current Employee - Office Staff in Nowhere, OK
    Current Employee - Office Staff in Nowhere, OK

I have been working at Kloeckner Metals

Pros

Close to home.
    At least there IS a 401k.
    Managers somewhat accessible.

Cons

Poor benefit package. It has been consistently reduced over the last several years.

Our facility suffered layoffs and now that business has picked up again they still have not hired anybody to replace the people that were let go. It means that most of us have to work much harder with less resources. I know a coworker who works overtime trying to get her job done and she does not even put in for the overtime because she is afraid for her job.

I have learned not to make suggestions because I have been shot down so many times. Management will criticize you when you make a suggestion. So now I just keep my mouth shut.

Advice to Management

Management is clearly focused on what results they are supposed to be producing. they largely do not care about the individual employee or the situations of employees-only getting results. Management has their head stuck in the sand.

Don't know about other facilities, but at this facility management definitely needs to think about hiring some more people. Yes, it will come off the bottom line, but that's the way it goes-you need more people.

6. Inept and misguided corporation.

Former Employee - Purchasing Agent
    Former Employee - Purchasing Agent

I worked at Kloeckner Metals full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People at the branch level were great to work with. Almost everyone of them were friendly and helpful. The office culture was very collaborative and welcoming.

Cons

The benefits kept getting reduced or eliminated. Executive level management could not be trusted, they spent too much time focused on self-preservation and formulating scapegoats to mask their own ineptness. Too many layers of conceptual advisors positions created that detract from the business.

Advice to Management

Consider finding some executives with substance that don't manage through threat and fear.

Great company, poorly run

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kloeckner Metals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The salary was good. The co-workers were friendly. The benefits package was generous. There was tuition reimbursement offered. Some managers were excellent at managing staff while not alienating personnel.

Cons

Promotions promised, but not delivered. Management contributes to drama within the workplace. The amount of gossip and back-biting participated in by all levels of management created an uneasy and unproductive working environment. Double standard within the company. No consistency in management of staff.

Advice to Management

Only promise what can realistically delivered and establish a concrete set of standards and practices to be followed by all employees. Take action on concerns from employees and maintain relational distance between supervisory staff and employees.

8. Was part of the Macsteel acquisition. I have received nothing but support and encouragement. Much progress is being made

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bensalem, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bensalem, PA

I have been working at Kloeckner Metals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Company is very progressive in its approach and in its strategy. It is a "top 3" player in the steel serviuce center industry and participates in the market from a position of strength. Senior management is open minded and approachable at all times.

Cons

Matrix organization sometimes appears fragmented but the participants all have the best interest of the Company and the employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the ideas and to trust your employees.

9. A service center that offers opportunities for those who want to be challenged daily!

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Kloeckner Metals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My experience has been built around the support of seniour managment who believe and promote the carreer opportunities for those who are dedicated to the goals and success of the company. I am very proud to be a part of the Kloeckner team.

Cons

Company culture may be challenging with the acquision of several companies under the Kloeckner brand. The culture comes from the top down as the facility that I work for has consolidated into another locaiton but upper management as made the transition appear to be seamless as two divisions work under one roof. The message from upper management is to work together as one team selling each others products offering more opportunities/solutions for our customers.

Advice to Management

Continue to support and believe in your people as they have the same goal that you do....to make money!

10. Fast Growing, dynamic company that is reshaping the metals distribution business in the USA

I have been working at Kloeckner Metals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has grown by 5 times in the last six years. Well financed, strong business model. Great place to work if you only want your growth to be limited by your own capability. Stong benefits, health care vacation and 401k. Great modern new offices. Stable and well capitalized

Cons

Given the growth rate there had to be a lot of change, which is not for everybody. If you want responsibility this is the place to be. You'll get as much as you can handle. Large publicly traded company with all that it entails.

Advice to Management

Keep working to make the company feel small even though it's grown to be the third largest in the country and number one in the world. Communicate, communicate, commnicate.

11. International, Publically Traded Company

I have been working at Kloeckner Metals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Professional, results oriented organization. The people care, and are helpful when you ask. Career advancement is excellent and the pay is competitive with the market. Corporate Management has a clear pathway to success, and is steadfast with attaining those goals.
    This is an International, Publically Traded company. This is NOT a Mom and Pop, privately held instituation.

Cons

It is easy to get lost in the numbers, too many you are just employee #1234. Just as being an International, Publically Traded Company is a benefit, it is also a detriment.

Advice to Management

None. They are fair, balanced, and understanding.