Kmart

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Edward S. Lampert

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good starting job

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)
    Salem, NH

ProsCommission for sales. Flexible scheduling -- you can ask for time off pretty much whenever you needed it as long as you requested it a good amount of time in advance. It's an OK part-time job to be working at while in high school.

ConsIt takes a really long time to get raises -- there also aren't many opportunities for raises since the store sets certain quotas that employees "have" to meet.

Fast Paced, Fairly Easy Work, Supportive Team

Front End Manager (Current Employee)
    Salem, NH

ProsMost of the people are great. Management is very supportive. Work is pretty easy.

ConsBiggest Con would be lack of payroll. It can get pretty stressful when you don't have enough team members.

12 years for what?

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Newburyport, MA

ProsAssociate discount at Kmart & Sears, nice people, most customers appreciate that there are other shopping options other than Walmart. Nice for a part time job if you can get the flexibility you need out of the management team. If your a hard worker, you know what you are doing, show up to work without calling out once a month, you will get the hours. But because of Obama Care you might only able to get 29 hours because they don't want to offer you benefits if they can help it.

ConsOutdated technology, low pay, no raises in 5 years, no 401K matching since 2009, bonus structures change yearly and monthly. It's pretty sad that you can go to McDonald's and make more even with their labor struggles for higher wages. Not enough payroll to keep up with tasks. Many associates are doing multiple jobs instead of one. Upper management is blind to what is really happening in stores because they are too focused on turning everything into a number and getting 85% usage out of their loyalty program. Remember when retail used to be about selling things and making displays?

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better, stop holding inside job fairs for unknown jobs. Why would anyone want to become an assistant or a full timer when they see everything we have to go through? The company mantra should not be "well at least you have a job".

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mediocre

Layaway Associate (Former Employee)
    Portsmouth, NH

ProsPleasant people to work with, friendly customers paid weekly. Ability to move around and do something physically challenging.

ConsGross lack of communication on all levels, Understaffed with no motivation to hire on more help for quite some time. Store could not be maintained in a clean and orderly fashion.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to communicate efficiently and make sure that EVERYONE is on the same page. It is hard to do a job when five different people all have tasks that you need to do "right now".

Great First Job; But You Won't Go Far

Service Desk (Current Employee)
    Rochester, NH

ProsRelaxed Atmosphere
    Fair Store Management
    Relatable Employees
    Close-knit from bottom to store level.
    Flexible Scheduling
    Make/Take-Your-Own Shift type of set-up, in which you can always find someone willing to take or give up a shift, and managers are fine about switching things around.
    Will give you experience with many features of integrated retail.

Management all throughout the store is very competent, and will always have your back through any and all confrontations.

I would say that my experience here has been mostly positive, as long as you stifle any visions of grandeur about pay raises, or a living wage.

This job should be used as both a platform to gain some experience, and as a humbling first experience to shed light on why you might want to go further in life.

ConsEmbarrassingly low pay, on all levels.
    You will not get a raise. You will not get a bonus. You will not get a promotion.

There is almost no relation between store and district/corporate level. "Corporate" is just a mysterious set of voices behind the Managers' conference calls.

You are dealing with a very broad clientele, which entails the more difficult-to-deal-with of society. As a Service Desk Associate, it is almost entirely your responsibility to satisfy any qualms they may or may not have with you, the merchandise, or the business.

Advanced multi-tasking skills are necessary at times to deal with both influx of customer and associate demands.

On busier days, help is often needed, but not always had.

The job can be very demanding compared to what you are paid.

Do not get this job unless you have living assistance, as it will not pay the bills.

"Work many days, and few hours" style scheduling, that consumes your life. It may as well be "Full time at 25 hours"

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees enough to make a living. Cut employees who have "special snowflake" schedules, in order to reward the employees who are willing to devote their entire life to their job.

Eh, not too good really.

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Acton, MA

ProsEasy work and Fun at times.

ConsManagers are temperamental and angry.

Overall, it is not all too bad but then again not all too good. I'd only recommend it as a job for someone with few other options. As far as working as a cashier goes it is not terrible but not outstanding either.

Advice to Senior ManagementChiiiiillll

Alright.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsAt Kmart, you get a little more freedom to merchandise your way to success. Not everything is dictated by some book that corporate sends out once a season (although there are required features et al). Opportunities are available for career growth.

ConsGetting a work-life balance can sometimes be a bit difficult. Hours can be long and a 12 hour day isn't uncommon.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop hourly leaders--promote them to a lead position, cross-train them, just treat them like the valued associates that they are.

Kmart Corporation- former retail leader.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Brockton, MA

ProsFair salaries comparable to competition. Decent benefits package. Very good Store manager trainig process ( school at the Headquarters)

ConsUnfair performance review process ( constantly changing- employees dont know criteria untill last moment) very small raises. Too much politics around.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about compliance and constant follow up. You are trying to run goverment agency instead profitable, competetive retail company.

Needs big improvement.

Cashier, Service Desk, Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Billerica, MA

Pros-Developed good skills for future jobs.
    -Decent break schedule
    -Some decent employees

Cons-Minimum wage
    -No raise after a year and moving to supervisor position.
    -Only focus on employees flaws instead of both the positive and negative.
    -More concerned about making a sale than keeping a customer.
    -Scheduled people even on days/times not available.

What really got me upset about working for K-mart is I would always make sure I was doing something during my shift. I would clean or do Operation invitation, or unshop when I had no customers. Another co-worker of mine would just stand and look bored when she didn't have any customers. I would also get more credit card sign-up and smart plan sales. I have also worked for the company around a year longer. We had the same exact availability and we both need to support ourselves off our income. She would end up getting more hours than I would even though I was the better worker.

Advice to Senior Management-Organization needs to improve.
    -Improve on customer service.
    -Better your treatment of employees.
    -Stick to realistic sales goals.
    -Need to better their research.

I went to a management meeting around a year ago. Where they gave the statistic on smart plan sales. The example of research that was given was invalid. They did a study having person ask for smart plans, but not ever customer and then compared it to a computer asking a customer every single time. In any good research there is only one variable with the rest constant. You can't change who/what was asking and the amount of times asked. It gives a very inaccurate result.

Worked for Kmart? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kmart reviews and ratings in Boston, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kmart CEO Edward S. Lampert. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Kmart employees.