Kmart

Updated Jul 10, 2014

2.4 1,124 reviews

Edward S. Lampert

1,124 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Flexible scheduling allows for a good work / life balance"
    in 43 reviews
  • "Well there's an employee discount and its expieriance for a resume"
    in 35 reviews
Cons:
  • "You will never get a raise unless they raise minimum wage in your state"
    in 92 reviews
  • "no commission, no raises regardless of associate productivity, no bonuses"
    in 68 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

sales associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Lebanon, PA

Prosfirst job, not a positive place to work

Conshorrible company, no respect of employees

Not a bad place to work

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Buffalo, NY

ProsFlexible work schedule, very friendly associates. Management was very good and very helpful when you needed their help with any issues that arose.

ConsDidn't work for them long enough.
    Minimum wage.I didnt receive enough hours to work, no breaks when busy,unorganized.

Loved Kmart

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIts a great job to work at for any college bound kid. I worked there for three years and I loved the people that I worked with.

ConsI did way to much for the little amount I got paid for.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Settled for less

Front End Merchandiser (Current Employee)
    Columbus, GA

ProsFlexible schedule
    Meet new people

Cons99% employees are part time
    No raises or bonuses at all

Assistant store manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorks around hours, totally gives you enough time to spend with family to have an odutside life, nice benefits, rotating weekends off with other managers.

ConsLimited amount of floor help and hours to give the associates that you do have, the district manager is very little help when you need it

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in good with dm or your life can be hell.

THE WORST

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Oxon Hill, MD

ProsIf you're a good worker they will let you work shifts you chose.

ConsYou will work your so hard and no promotion. You will start out at 7.25 an hour and you will not get a raise. They will give you less than 35 hours. Management is constantly changing. The area is in the middle of the ghetto and people will steal and try to fight you.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave people from headquarters actually come to the store to check on management and how employees are treated.

Understaffed with unrealistic expectations.

Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsKmart is your basic retailing experience with a bit of sales.

ConsI've had some questionable employers, but I think Kmart is by far the worst. Due to budgeting the store is severely understaffed and corporate's performance expectations are unrealistic. Being a cashier, I am expected to have 75% of my customers have SYWR. Not to mention smart plans (which no one is interested in because most items already come with a warranty.) Being in a summer vacation hotspot, this is incredibly difficult, near impossible at our store. Many of the employees are plain rude (more so those in higher and management positions than entry level). (Mostly due to the frustration of working at Kmart.) Their cash register system is severely outdated and I have to close my line and restart my register almost every shift. (Which is hysterical when you consider how hard sears holding is trying to get in on new technology and appealing to the era of smart phones, pushing all kinds of app goodies and syw social networking). Some of the registers don't have deactivation mechanisms for merchandise so you have to walk to another register in the middle of a transaction. People consistently complain that they can't find anyone to help them or there aren't enough cashiers. Unlike many stores who have either multiple people working the customer service counter or a separate front end manager to help with overrides, at Kmart this is the same person. You'll have to wait 10+ minutes for them to finish with a customer at the desk before they can override a corrected price (which happens almost every transaction.) I actually encourage customers to watch the screen and see if the prices are correct. The signing system is completely outdated, we spend twice as much time auditing signs and sale prices for signs that are already up and corporate expects all signs in the entire store to be up by 10 AM. During my training my coworkers were borderline abusive, they're nicer now that they know I'm sticking around, or at least I've gotten used to them. It's a very negative environment, and from reviews I've read in other places this seems to be a theme throughout Kmarts (and what kind of personality do you expect from someone who sticks around to work for a failing business). I had a few people from down south come in and tell me how impressed they were with our Kmart's cleanliness which I found shocking (our store is messy and dirty, shelves are constantly falling apart) Some of the most interesting things about SHC are its expectations of employees. They have created their own "facebook" site called pebble that they encourage employees to use, and a site to view your rankings among other stores, other employees, etc that is set up like gaming achievements. The fact that they actually expect us to use these, and when you can't even access them at home, only when you're at the store AND clocked in is ridiculous. The same goes for training. Training is conducted through their cloud but cannot be accessed from anywhere but the store. HR hounds you for not completing training and management yells at you if you stop to complete some.

Dysfunctional

Electronics Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGood work/life balance, flexible with hours.

ConsI have never felt like I matter less than when I am working at Kmart. Associates care little about their job and would often just wander off -- generally leaving me to deal with customers.

I worked in electronics and often found myself staring down rush hour traffic by myself -- not because they didn't schedule someone to work with me -- but because the person they scheduled had vanished or was off conversing with other associates.

Registers are antiquated, they'll freeze up from time to time, sometimes in the middle of a transaction. When that happens, prepare to wait ten minutes while it reboots.

Getting an override and a void is also a nightmare hassle, one that I've never seen be such an issue in any other store. Just be prepared, if you're at a cash register and it tells you you need an override, expect to be waiting for a while.

Needlessly long receipts. Apparently Kmart is so behind the times they haven't heard about this "going green" thing everyone's been talking about.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the store level there is zero accountability:

I've watched associates reduce customers to tears with their belligerence.

I've watched associates take hour long breaks during four hour shifts.

I've watched associates intentionally mislead customers.

I've watched associates and managers blow off customers in order to hold conversations with each other.

I've watched associates openly FaceTime and talk on their phones while customers were around.

I've watched Assistant Managers blow off valid customer complaints.

What kind of message are you sending to your customers when associates are allowed to carry on with this sort of behavior? You're telling them "We don't really care about your business." Someday, people will stop showing up.

Hardest retail job I ever had

Kmart Cashier (Former Employee)
    Bridgeview, IL

ProsMy managers and co-workers were good people. I liked to use unwanted coupons on customers. Because it's a general store, you can pick up most of your sundries there after work.

ConsCustomers at this location were not just unfriendly, but belligerent; you could easily tell they'd come in looking to pick a fight. They'll yell, scream, curse, threaten or throw things at you if you happen to be the poor sucker they choose. Co-worker got punched, once. I've never had a nastier group of shoppers than these guys in all the years I've been at retail. Cash register monitors how many SYWR members you have, and you can get in trouble just because you were unlucky enough to have all the non-members in your lane. Sometimes the sales signs are wrong or outdated, causing a lot of confusion.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't penalize workers for not having high SYWR percentages. We have lots of customers who can't remember, don't speak English, or who want to ring our necks just for asking.

Frick this Kmart

ProsNothing it sucks i hate it so much

ConsEverything it sucks i hate it so much

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new people to work at Kmart in Steger.

Worked for Kmart? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kmart reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kmart CEO Edward S. Lampert. All 1,124 reviews posted anonymously by Kmart employees.