Kmart

Kmart Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

2.4 1,158 reviews

Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling allows for a good work / life balance(in 45 reviews)

• Well there's an employee discount and its expieriance for a resume(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises the whole time I worked there except when minimum wage went up(in 103 reviews)

• No raises (even though I can do twice the workload of most new employees)(in 85 reviews)

1,158 Employee Reviews

A dying company.

Backroom Locator Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsKmart has a variety of positions available throughout the stores.
    Very quick hiring process with paid training.
    Employee discount is very nice.

ConsThe payroll is constantly being slashed, every month has less hours to go around.
    Cashiers have it the worst; expect 10 or less hours a week outside of the holidays.
    No raises and no promotions. Period. Associates at my location claimed they have had the same pay for up to 6 years.
    You never know when your store is going to close, and you will feel powerless over its outcome.

Advice to Senior ManagementKmart needs to compete with Walmart. It may not be too late.
    Stop pouring resources into "Pebble", "Game on", and other internal social media platforms.

Would not recommend working for this corporation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe associates work well as a team

Constraining is poor... have to be self taught. Schedules make it very hard to have a personal life

so far so good...

ProsManagement and staff are very nice. Paid training.

ConsI have never worked for a company where the employees portion of the healthcare insurance costs are so high. You have to pay out of pocket for a normal doctors visit until you meet the deductible??? Employees are not cross trained.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more full time dedicated employees who want to work hard and want to advance. Most of the part time kids in the store are just taking up space and are there just to get a paycheck while doing as little as possible. I really believe it would be more cost effective and better for the stores.
    Raises for management are going to have to come back if you want to keep the good people you have.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meh

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGood People, relaxed workplace, okay

ConsTerrible pay, very bad management, no room for improvement in the company, no raises

Advice to Senior Managementmeh

Hours during summer months were okay but during the winter they could drop as low as 4 hours per week.

Data Integrity Specialist (Current Employee) Houghton Lake, MI

ProsWork at your own pace, management isn't breathing down your neck. The discount is nice! The work environment isn't too bad, the job is easy enough for most people to do!

ConsShortage of hours, no raises, no benefits. The benefits are non existent, there is very little opportunity to advance and the company is getting rid of full time employees and replacing them with numerous part time employees so they can skip the benefits and pay raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of having 100 part time employees you would get more work, better work production and happier employees with having less employees with more hours and benefits!

The people were great but the distribution center was a mess

Department Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGood people... Opportunity to gain work experience

ConsCould not get product in stock... items in the ad were sold out the same day.. made for tough conversations with customers

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your frontline staff

It's a summer job and that's all

Hardlines Merchandiser (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGetting paid, get to help customers if you enjoy customer service, understaffed so you have your pick of hours and shifts

ConsVery little advancement, it's basically just a summer job. You're never going to get a raise until you take a full time position, and the number of those is being downsized due to budget cuts

Advice to Senior ManagementNot to the store management but to brand management: you need to invest in yourself. Actually put money towards hiring enough people and keeping the competent people happy.

Declining company makes ends meet at the expense of the employees

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chattanooga, TN

ProsEasy job to understand, and on a slow day when you can get your work done, it can be enjoyable.

ConsOverworked and underpaid, the company motto

Advice to Senior ManagementLevel the responsibilities between hardlines and softlines

Nah...

Hardlines Merchandiser (Current Employee) Rexburg, ID

ProsMostly flexible work schedule
    Co-workers were mostly good people

ConsPoor management
    Old and dated store

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid going bankrupt, because that is where you are headed...

long hours, a lot of pressure from corp to hit several metric goals

Manager (Current Employee) Abilene, TX

Prosgood pay for salary, but thats about it

ConsPoor benefits, long hours, no work life balance and corp puts a lot of pressure on management in stores to hit several metric goals. Stressful environment

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on customers and employees

Worked for Kmart? Contribute to the Community!