Kmart

1,383 Reviews
2.4
1,383 Reviews

Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling if needed or they are willing to put you on a fixed schedule (in 66 reviews)

• Well there's an employee discount and its expieriance for a resume (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • I guess they figure they can pay a teenager minimum wage to do the same job (in 132 reviews)

• No raises (even though I can do twice the workload of most new employees) (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

Fine

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Manager
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Manager

I worked at Kmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing, it's a paycheck till you can fine different full time job. You get your own office, but you have a lot of paperwork and you can't make friends because it will come back to bite you, if you need to take action.

Cons

48 hours a week and no raises, company not doing good and they hire a lot of people a low wages that don't care.

Need a better look in all stores

In these hard times, it's a job worth keeping.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

I worked at Kmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most coworkers are wonderful people, just looking for a second job to support their family. You get a small employee discount on most items.

Cons

Never expect a raise, even after years of service. If minimum wage is not increased, your salary will never increase, no matter what they tell you when they hire you.
    Stores are closing, no company stability.

Consider giving part-time employees paid time off (i.e. sick leave & vacation.)

kmart

I have been working at Kmart

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

lack of a career opportunity

Pleasant

I worked at Kmart

Pros

Great for entry-level experience

Cons

No or slow upward career growth

Supportive Staff, Staff get discounts for merchandise

I have been working at Kmart

Pros

Supportive Staff, Staff get discounts for merchandise

Cons

Low Pay, Very low staff has to do lot of work

Decent work environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Valencia, CA

I worked at Kmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

a great stepping stone into retail sales field and plenty of hours to work during holidays.

Cons

the work and life balance is almost impossible. very little chance to a balanced work schedule due to company having you work one day a morning shift the next day a mid shift then two days later an evening shift.

Horrid Customer Service, Bad Corporate Policy, Great Coworkers and Amazing Nice Managers

Current Employee - Cashier in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Kmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My coworkers and managers are reasonable and really fun people. We're a team and we're all getting kicked around by corporate together. I can be open with managers about problems, we even have conversations. They do enforce reasonable rules still they aren't just acting like friends or bad managers. They are reasonable people while still being good managers. They generally try to put cashiers/floor workers in places that need the help, so support is there. It's an easy job to get even if it's your first and it's way more fun, interesting, and laid back than the food industry.

Cons

Terrible pay, you will be on minimum wage and will never see a raise. Your first few promotions have no raises either, and the managers hardly make any more.

The corporation sucks as well, it's run by Sears. They push the rewards obsessively to the point where our store manager is telling us to sign up customers for email so they can get a rewards account. The rewards lie and mislead customers so the few who use it get angry and refuse to ever shop there again. If a customer has a bad experience I encourage them to complain and boycott Kmart, our stores are closing and the reality is the corporation is terrible with customers and cheap with employees.

Low pay is one thing, but Kmart is even cheaper than that. Their computers and their training videos are from the 1980s, I'm not kidding. Every new employee has probably lost the company a few hundred to thousands of dollars in stolen merchandise because there is no training on loss prevention and no training that is relevant to our needs as associates. There have been times when I was written up for things that I didn't know and was never trained on. Furthermore, your first 2 days of work are spent watching hours and hours of completely useless videos that have no relevancy. You would do your job best if you ignored or even did the opposite of what the videos say.

Our prices are always off and we constantly call for price checks; the prices and sale signs are confusing and inconsistent. Customers get angry about this often, when I buy an occasional item I always have to ask for a price check. Price checks often take 20 minutes or longer.

When regional or out of store managers, aka corporate, come in, they obsess over us doing things in tune with corporate policy, but if we are rejecting corporate policy Kmart should be happy because we're giving better customer service. The regional/corporate managers push us to do things that make customers want to leave the store for good. I try to make the best of the system for customers, and I can only do so much. And our regional managers don't do anything to improve existing problems.

Regional managers (whoever has the power) need to focus on improving the pricing system and rejecting the rewards system, or minimizing it so customers who don't want it can say no thank you quick and move on. The rewards system needs to stop misleading and lying to customers to bait them to the store, this is the reason Kmart will be closed soon enough. If corporate doesn't change fast Kmart and Sears will fail.

Kids rip off the price tags, or some fall off, so we need make sure there is a working UPC number on all of the fabric tags. If something is discounted, stop using marker on the barcode so it doesn't scan, instead change the barcode itself to scan properly. When it scans and asks for an amount AND there is a sale sticker with that amount, that works best. Otherwise, prices and sales specials need to be updated in the POS system itself. Say a tag falls off, but the item is on sale. If I type in the UPC on an updated POS, then the POS should still recognize the sale price.
    Many items have three separate prices on shelf, tag and discount. Or they have old tags. It's convoluted and needs to be simpler for customers to understand.

Fix the price system, get us new computers, let managers train us in-the-position and ditch the training videos. Paying us for two days of sleep is a waste of company money and doesn't prepare anyone for the job. Giving Loss Prevention a say in the training, a specific LP training for thieves, damage, etc, would be extremely helpful as well.

Front End Supervisor (two years )

Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in McAllen, TX
    Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in McAllen, TX

I have been working at Kmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working for Kmart, I dedicated myself to making it a better environment and it went well. I had fun and always was smiling at all times. The employees really make it fun so make sure you do interact with each other.

Cons

My upper management, DM and higher never really showed that they cared for the employees.

Care for the employees! And respect them.

My experience was ok it could've been better

I worked at Kmart part-time

Pros

That they had some cute clothes for kids and newborns

Cons

The work was stressful the managers and the store it self was unorganized

Unorganized never enough employees to complete tasks properly.

I worked at Kmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flexible schedule employees work together as a team

Cons

work unload unrealistic for the amount of payroll no pay raises given to store personnel

consider putting money into your employees to build morale and to increase productivity if you want your business to succeed you need to start with your store personnel