Kmart Reviews

1,320 Reviews
2.4
1,320 Reviews

Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling allows for a good work / life balance (in 52 reviews)

• Well there's an employee discount and its expieriance for a resume (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • I guess they figure they can pay a teenager minimum wage to do the same job (in 127 reviews)

• No raises (even though I can do twice the workload of most new employees) (in 105 reviews)

More Highlights

It's okay (for now).

Current Employee - Backroom Locator Specialist
    Current Employee - Backroom Locator Specialist

I have been working at Kmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced job. Nice coworkers. Hours are good for this position. Start early, finish early. Not very difficult and you have others helping you. Also don't have to deal with customers much.

Cons

The pay is kind of poor. The only positions are part-time. There's barely any room to move up into better positions. It's fine for a temporary job, but don't expect it to support a family so I'd only recommend this for college students or people with another part-time job already. It's also pretty disorganized and people get pissy if you forget how to do something.

Cashier

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Naples, FL

I worked at Kmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee Discount and sales and fellow employees.

Cons

It is a stand up position with lots of walking. I am disabled and need a sit down part time job.

I need a part time and sit down job or a seasonal job. I am a very detailed oriented person and get along well with others. I also have in my experience in the past that of a accounts receivable and accounts payable clerical jobs and have done some payroll and it was by hand. I also have had real estate sales in my past as I had been a licensed real estate sales person in the 1970's.

As long as they don't close your store it's a good place to work

Current Employee - Cash Office Associate in Snellville, GA
    Current Employee - Cash Office Associate in Snellville, GA

I have been working at Kmart (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, good people to work with, and always something different to do

Cons

The technology is out of date and the system goes down more than it is up. Management does not seem to care that the employees are left looking stupid in front of customers

update the computer system, insist that mangers follow proper policies, conduct training that is appropriate to the job that people are doing. No need for a sales clerk to study hazard waste removal and storage procedures

Gained useful retail experience

I worked at Kmart

Pros

The job was never boring. I learned all the various departments such as Receiving, Electronics, Customer Service desk, and Layaway. Layaway was my favorite as the customers weren't in such a hurry and were more friendly.

Cons

The challenges were the low pay and management. You could be on break and they would interrupt and tell you they needed you somewhere while they would be standing around doing nothing. Very poor communication skills too.

Pitch in and help if you're not busy and learn to communicate more professionally.

It's an o.k. place to work. ..

I have been working at Kmart

Pros

10%-20% off merchandise, family oriented, flexible work schedule.

Cons

Training is nearly nonexistent, no raises, cutting full-time employees, more store closings

Give your dedicated employees a raise let them know you appreciate their hard work.

Good high school/college job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Stevens Point, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at Kmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good high school/college job.
    -Short shifts made part-time easy.
    -Easy work.
    -Training process was decent.
    -20% off clearance discount was great!

Cons

-Customers were not the nicest here compared to other retail stores.
    -Store was dirty, back room was poorly organized.
    -Management was never on the same page.
    -Some people they hired were simply awful.

Consider who you hire for these jobs, don't just hire anyone that applies. Management needs to get together and discuss procedures and what they want from their employees.

Pretty good, but....

Current Employee - Checkout Service Supervisor in Houghton Lake, MI
    Current Employee - Checkout Service Supervisor in Houghton Lake, MI

I have been working at Kmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Were a small family. We all get along great, talk to each other with respect. Flexible hours to get me by. My manager has been with the company for 30+ years and does a swell job. My customers are, well, okay at most times. My store has given ample opportunity for me to succeed, I was moved up to Front End Supervisor and backup Pharmacy Tech after 5 short months.. I enjoy going to work, I've met some great people.

Cons

Sometimes management has so little communication i get mad enough I'd rather be unemployed. No raises. When state minimum wage went up, everyone stayed the same wage so now as a supervisor im stuck with crap drama for the wage of a cashier. No full time positions until a lead dies or retires, most leads have been there 30+ years. The amount of pushing for credit cards is a little bad but I deal with it.

Give upper level staff a raise. Minimum wage is fine for when your dragging items across a scanner and saying "do you have a rewards card?" If I'm going to be a shift supervisor running the shifts I want to be paid for the work I deal with.

A love hate relationship.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Kmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and salary are decent. There are a lot of career opportunities available, if you are willing to relocate at your own expense.

Cons

To many chiefs and not enough Indians. Leadership treats hourly associates as disposable. It is hard to build a team when you are paying minimum wage and not giving raises.

Hire someone that understands retailing to lead this company.

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Bayamon, PR
    Former Employee - Cashier in Bayamon, PR

I worked at Kmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and that's really it

Cons

They work with a budget and they will give more hours to their friends and not the actual people who really work

Mixed Experience

I worked at Kmart part-time

Pros

I liked working at Kmart because of the co-workers and some of the managers were helpful in guiding us in the right direction to get the necessary jobs done. Also, they approved requests for time off if requested within the proper time frame and worked around my schedule at college and another job to a large extent. If you were good at your job, they would move you around and allowed you to learn a lot of different things.

Cons

Benefits were non-existent and "promotions" were provided with minimal growth in pay. Not a lot of staff on busy days and the building was very hot. Customers could be very rude. Some managers too demanding.

Increase pay if someone works for the company for a long time (look at Shoprite). Reward workers who show up everyday on time. Listen to employees' feedback. Staff more people to improve customer retention which will offset the increased cost. Update the computers so they don't freeze so much.