Kmart Reviews

1,254 Reviews
2.4
1,254 Reviews

Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling allows for a good work / life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Well there's an employee discount and its expieriance for a resume (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • I guess they figure they can pay a teenager minimum wage to do the same job (in 103 reviews)

• No raises (even though I can do twice the workload of most new employees) (in 87 reviews)

More Highlights

Only if you desperately need a job.

Current Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Farmingville, NY
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Farmingville, NY

I have been working at Kmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

This job is so easy to get because they desperately need cashiers. Scheduling is pretty flexible, especially when school starts up. The best is when they send you to gardening or electronics to cover a shift. Gardening is nice and air conditioned :) Your coworkers are the absolute best! We're all easy going and friendly :)

Cons

You have an arrow on your register screen that measures the percentage of your customers that are Rewards Members... 75%+ =Green, <75%=Red and 85%+ =Gold. God help you if your arrow is red. Some stubborn customers will refuse to sign up or refuse to give you their phone number to see if they're in the system, and that is somehow your fault and management will harass you for it. Prices will always ring up wrong on the register, and no one at the service desk ever knows the price, so we have to page for a price check, which takes forever, and customers just get mad and impatient. They are always busy at the service desk so if you need an override or a void, you will have to wait forever. They NEVER have enough cashiers so your lines will be looonnngg. You will never get a raise or move up in the company. Ever.

It is hard to provide a "WOW!" experience when we have to harass stubborn customers to sign up for a rewards card. Work would be a lot more stressful if we didn't have arrows on our screen. I feel very uncomfortable asking customers for their phone numbers. No other store does that. Most customers have rewards cards and it should be their prerogative if they want to use it or not. Also, It would be more efficient if cashiers had phones at their register or at least a few registers, or maybe even headsets/radios so we could get price checks on our own instead of having to bothering the already busy service desk people. And another thing, why do associates on the sales floor have iPhone POS and front end cashiers have decade old IBM registers??

Great team members, bad pay rate

Former Employee - Grocery  in  Portage, IN
    Former Employee - Grocery in Portage, IN

I worked at Kmart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved working with my coworkers. We all were like family for the most part.

Cons

Pay was terrible. I did grocery pricing on top of grocery stock and made only $7.25 an hour and that was part time. I had no chance for advancement beyond pricing.

Pay your employees more and don't take them for granted.

5 years

I worked at Kmart

Pros

Got along with most co workers
    They hired me at a young age

Cons

Not one raise
    Management is usually terrible

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

going nowhere

Current Employee - Department Lead
    Current Employee - Department Lead

I have been working at Kmart full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

flexible hours/schedule, can move upward in company

Cons

never any overtime or raises, unwise company decisions overall, low pay doesn't attract good workers and management doesn't try to motivate them

Focus on getting the most out of every employee and keeping things fair; you already don't pay well so you gotta make the employees want to stay - so have a good work environment!

Horrible first job

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Kmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Interview was easy, easy job to get, good for young people just looking to make some extra money, good for the young

Cons

Little pay and not enough hours management was rude store was very unorganized would make you leave before your time.

Give employees more hours

Pleased with the associates.

Former Employee - Department Lead  in  Monroe, NC
    Former Employee - Department Lead in Monroe, NC

I worked at Kmart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The associates care and try hard to please the customers.

Cons

On certain days, when associates were short of help, they took forever to accist customers.

I have only one thing to say about the manager, she did awesome regarding customers and was very pleasant. A team player.

Work Environment

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Manager  in  Salisbury, MD
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Manager in Salisbury, MD

I have been working at Kmart full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great supervisors...so far :) and co workers.

Cons

Retail, the state makes you take a half hour for lunch. This make you stay for 8.5 hours. This is not Kmart's fault.

None, They are doing great!

Falling apart

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Associate  in  Statesboro, GA
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Associate in Statesboro, GA

I worked at Kmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very laid back, not too much intense work

Cons

The store is losing shoppers to other big name stores, and sometimes the "laid back job" feeling became more boring than enjoyable.

pleasant place to work great working environment.

Former Employee - Frontend Cashier  in  Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Frontend Cashier in Fairfield, CA

I worked at Kmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

the management was very informative and hands on as needed, scheduling for me was acceptable work environment was exceptional, enjoyed my employment there would of stayed there for long term if able

Cons

the weekly hours were less than desired with no chance of overtime

the consistency with management was what I look up to with mgmt.

Not worth the pay

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service  in  Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service in Scranton, PA

I worked at Kmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people I worked with were pretty good, made some friends. Getting in was easy...seems like they'll hire just about anybody. The management mostly leaves you alone and isn't hanging over your shoulder all the time

Cons

They leave you alone...meaning they also just kind of toss you to the wolves when you first start. Not much in the way of training but a lot of places are like that nowadays...especially retail. A lot of the employees don't care enough to even do their job most of the time since they aren't really getting paid enough to do so. They never give raises either from what I've heard from other employees. I don't know about other stores but mine was basically falling apart. All the shelving and displays are half broken and dirty cause no one cleans anything and the registers have probably been there since they opened. Also, nobody knows anything...you ask one person (a supervisor who should know) and they send you to a manager (who should also know) and they send you to a different manager. It's a giant runaround because everything and everyone is so incompetent/inefficient...all while you have an angry customer waiting...such fun.

Take a look at how other companies run their stores and follow the example. Target and Toys R Us both have cleaner operations than you. Up your base pay so that your employees will actually care enough about their job in order to do what they are supposed to be doing, then you won't have such a high turn over rate. Almost every person I worked with would not have hesitated to quit or have been worried about getting fired because they knew they could find something better anyway.

Worked for Kmart? Contribute to the Community!