Kmart Reviews

1,245 Reviews
2.4
1,245 Reviews

Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling allows for a good work / life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Well there's an employee discount and its expieriance for a resume (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • I guess they figure they can pay a teenager minimum wage to do the same job (in 103 reviews)

• No raises (even though I can do twice the workload of most new employees) (in 87 reviews)

More Highlights

Only if you desperately need a job.

Current Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Farmingville, NY
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Farmingville, NY

I have been working at Kmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

This job is so easy to get because they desperately need cashiers. Scheduling is pretty flexible, especially when school starts up. The best is when they send you to gardening or electronics to cover a shift. Gardening is nice and air conditioned :) Your coworkers are the absolute best! We're all easy going and friendly :)

Cons

You have an arrow on your register screen that measures the percentage of your customers that are Rewards Members... 75%+ =Green, <75%=Red and 85%+ =Gold. God help you if your arrow is red. Some stubborn customers will refuse to sign up or refuse to give you their phone number to see if they're in the system, and that is somehow your fault and management will harass you for it. Prices will always ring up wrong on the register, and no one at the service desk ever knows the price, so we have to page for a price check, which takes forever, and customers just get mad and impatient. They are always busy at the service desk so if you need an override or a void, you will have to wait forever. They NEVER have enough cashiers so your lines will be looonnngg. You will never get a raise or move up in the company. Ever.

It is hard to provide a "WOW!" experience when we have to harass stubborn customers to sign up for a rewards card. Work would be a lot more stressful if we didn't have arrows on our screen. I feel very uncomfortable asking customers for their phone numbers. No other store does that. Most customers have rewards cards and it should be their prerogative if they want to use it or not. Also, It would be more efficient if cashiers had phones at their register or at least a few registers, or maybe even headsets/radios so we could get price checks on our own instead of having to bothering the already busy service desk people. And another thing, why do associates on the sales floor have iPhone POS and front end cashiers have decade old IBM registers??

pleasant place to work great working environment.

Former Employee - Frontend Cashier  in  Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Frontend Cashier in Fairfield, CA

I worked at Kmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

the management was very informative and hands on as needed, scheduling for me was acceptable work environment was exceptional, enjoyed my employment there would of stayed there for long term if able

Cons

the weekly hours were less than desired with no chance of overtime

the consistency with management was what I look up to with mgmt.

Not worth the pay

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service  in  Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service in Scranton, PA

I worked at Kmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people I worked with were pretty good, made some friends. Getting in was easy...seems like they'll hire just about anybody. The management mostly leaves you alone and isn't hanging over your shoulder all the time

Cons

They leave you alone...meaning they also just kind of toss you to the wolves when you first start. Not much in the way of training but a lot of places are like that nowadays...especially retail. A lot of the employees don't care enough to even do their job most of the time since they aren't really getting paid enough to do so. They never give raises either from what I've heard from other employees. I don't know about other stores but mine was basically falling apart. All the shelving and displays are half broken and dirty cause no one cleans anything and the registers have probably been there since they opened. Also, nobody knows anything...you ask one person (a supervisor who should know) and they send you to a manager (who should also know) and they send you to a different manager. It's a giant runaround because everything and everyone is so incompetent/inefficient...all while you have an angry customer waiting...such fun.

Take a look at how other companies run their stores and follow the example. Target and Toys R Us both have cleaner operations than you. Up your base pay so that your employees will actually care enough about their job in order to do what they are supposed to be doing, then you won't have such a high turn over rate. Almost every person I worked with would not have hesitated to quit or have been worried about getting fired because they knew they could find something better anyway.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great retail experience

Former Employee - Data Integrity Specialist  in  Bear, DE
    Former Employee - Data Integrity Specialist in Bear, DE

I worked at Kmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

They train you well. HR is very understanding of anything that can come up.

Cons

Some positions do no have flexible hours.

Keep going

The good of my store

Current Employee - Front End Lead  in  Houghton Lake, MI
    Current Employee - Front End Lead in Houghton Lake, MI

I have been working at Kmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Hired in march 2014 as a cashier. My first day I was running the register by myself. Wasn't hard to catch on and my coworkers were a big help. Month later, I was moved to Hardlines Merchandiser specializing as Electronics. I excelled even faster there. About a month ago I put my notice in to go work somewhere else. My store manager told me " I wish there was something I could offer you to keep you hear, so I can wish you the best." I cried all the way home that night cause I thought she didn't like me. Then things changed and I couldn't leave kmart. 5 months into my employment and I'm now a Front End Supervisor and Pharmacy Associate. The opportunity is there, life is what you make it. When I hired in the manager told me to tell her how far I want to go with the company. I'm going to go far.

Cons

Having to push the rewards card and credit card. I can't hold a gun to a customers head and force them to sign up. Couple of the people I worked with were aggravating but now that I'm a supervisor they get to listen. I have nothing bad to say about my store other than give me more than 29 hours. I'll be a department lead eventually.

Ease up on the rewards card. Sometimes people come.from out of town where a Kmart may have closed and they don't want to get a rewards card.

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Fort Pierce, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Fort Pierce, FL

I have been working at Kmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rewarding experience, great training program, many long time dedicated associates and managers throughout the company

Cons

Very outdated POS system, registers freeze, take a long time to reboot back up, very heavy workload with little payroll
    Work life balance- minimum 48 hour work week which easily can turn into 60. No raises have been given in the past 6 years.

Update the POS system, concentrate on driving sales, instead of overloading the stores with so many tasks to complete

Great Pharmacy outfit to work for, great people who allow you to excel.

Former Employee - Floater Pharmacist  in  Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Floater Pharmacist in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Kmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great environment to practice pharmacy the way it should be practiced. Good support corporately.

Cons

Stores themselves, & equipment (computers, printers) are a little outdated.

Keep on supporting your store level employees & allow them to succeed. Capitol improvement

I hated every second there.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Dalton, GA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Dalton, GA

I worked at Kmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

They work with school schedules.

Cons

Expect you to do the job with minimal advice on how.

Better training programs and better hiring process... Not just hiring teens for the cheap labor

Great co-workers, bad corporate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Oregon City, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oregon City, OR

I worked at Kmart part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people. For whatever reason I loved most of the people that were hired.

Cons

Management /corporate polices, you will never make more than min wage, there really is not that many ways to move up in the company

Hire from within for full time positions and find a way to give raises for those that are loyal.

Just got job, great experience so far.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Walla Walla, WA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Walla Walla, WA

I have been working at Kmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

They have a very friendly team and management and everyone gets along well, it is a great and laid back work environment. There is a potential to move up to full time.

Cons

There are very few full time positions and it takes a long time to move up. Pay starts out a minimum wage for a cashier which is very low compared to other local stores. Few hours about 15-20 hours a week, needed a second part time job to make ends meet.

More full time opportunities and more hours! Plus more competitive pay.

Worked for Kmart? Contribute to the Community!