Kmart Reviews

1,349 Reviews
2.4
1,349 Reviews

Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling if needed or they are willing to put you on a fixed schedule (in 66 reviews)

• Well there's an employee discount and its expieriance for a resume (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • I guess they figure they can pay a teenager minimum wage to do the same job (in 132 reviews)

• No raises (even though I can do twice the workload of most new employees) (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

Pretty good, but....

Current Employee - Checkout Service Supervisor in Houghton Lake, MI
    Current Employee - Checkout Service Supervisor in Houghton Lake, MI

I have been working at Kmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Were a small family. We all get along great, talk to each other with respect. Flexible hours to get me by. My manager has been with the company for 30+ years and does a swell job. My customers are, well, okay at most times. My store has given ample opportunity for me to succeed, I was moved up to Front End Supervisor and backup Pharmacy Tech after 5 short months.. I enjoy going to work, I've met some great people.

Cons

Sometimes management has so little communication i get mad enough I'd rather be unemployed. No raises. When state minimum wage went up, everyone stayed the same wage so now as a supervisor im stuck with crap drama for the wage of a cashier. No full time positions until a lead dies or retires, most leads have been there 30+ years. The amount of pushing for credit cards is a little bad but I deal with it.

Give upper level staff a raise. Minimum wage is fine for when your dragging items across a scanner and saying "do you have a rewards card?" If I'm going to be a shift supervisor running the shifts I want to be paid for the work I deal with.

Decent part time job

I worked at Kmart part-time

Pros

I liked majority of the people I worked with. They were usually helpful and around my age. Its a good job to first start off with, or if you need a second job.

Cons

They expect you to constantly get new Rewards Card members, even though most customers have them or have been offered them hundreds of times. You also have to get credit cards. A lot of reviews on you are based off of these, so it effects the amount of hours you get. If you are slacking on the numbers they also make you roam the store for the same thing, usually resulting in nothing.

Not too bad, but could be way better.

Current Employee - Maintenance in Temple City, CA
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Temple City, CA

I have been working at Kmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great coworkers and good people to work with.
    - Laid back and not really stressful workplace depending on what store you work at.
    - Above average benefit, health insurance, and perks.
    - You get to do many different task when working as Maintenance such as helping fellow coworkers in each departments and helping customers with carry outs and helping your managers.
    - Flexible schedule that doesn't conflict with personal life and education.
    - Above average management and stable business (depending on each Kmart store and location).
    - Exercising such as pushing, pulling, and lifting heavy items (Cart runs, carry outs, and repairing broken things).

Cons

- Most Kmart stores are in bad shape and really outdated. For example: Stained plaster ceilings, not all lights are on, moldy and damp storage rooms and stock rooms, outdated computers and systems, really ancient tools, lack of modern overhauls, old fashioned style atmosphere, and things break easily.
    - Mr. Lampert (CEO) needs to get his things together if he wants to keep Kmart and Sears alive during this modern times! So many stores are closing because of this.
    - Somewhat annoying online training program, but not bad.
    - Lack of new items and new stock for all departments, sometimes after it is all gone. We usually don't get new stock of it.
    - Certain coworkers can really ruin your workplace due to their behavior and attitude thus creating unnecessary dramas.
    - Things sometimes get disorganized such as coupons, discounts, item in stock or not, and really messy departments due to not enough coworkers to organize the problems.
    - Not enough staff and employees when demand is high which led to many problematic things when helping with customers.
    - Low wage and no raises.
    - Most departments are not clean and often get disorganized, such as items on the floor and many misplaced merchandise in different shelves.
    - Cleaning outdated restrooms is not fun and customers can make a huge nasty mess causing some complaints to the service desk.
    - Turnover rate is pretty high! However many experienced veterans still work at Kmart.

Please, give long time associates and managers better wages and raises if they work long hours for more than 2-3 years. Refurbish good performing Kmart stores and overhaul the buildings completely with new modern lightning, systems, tools, stockroom, and computers! Invest to improve merchandise stock and keep all items organized and well stocked and no missing merchandise! Electronic department can be better on par with Wal-Mart and Target.

- Create a new brand to draw in more customers and invest the stores!
    - Better wages and make raises to keep employees satisfied and not disgruntled.

Good Beginnings

Former Employee - Unit and Pricing Manager in Hartford, WI
    Former Employee - Unit and Pricing Manager in Hartford, WI

I worked at Kmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good coworkers. Decent management team at store level. Good learning experience for a career aimed towards retail management or corporate level retail career.

Cons

Low pay and reduced hours for full time. Difficult to properly assist customers because of lack of payroll for adequate sales floor coverage.

Bath Kmart

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Bath, NY
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Bath, NY

I have been working at Kmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy working at Kmart. They are very friendly and have excellent customer service. The manager's let you cross train for different positions that you are interested through out the sore. It is very family orientated.

Cons

The challenge for me is four hours shifts when I live 40 minutes away.

They are very customer oriented

Pretty great!

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Kmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like that my best friend works here. It's really fun to see how the members are so grateful for a fast checkout which I love. I love that the other cashiers are friendly and the work environment is well thought out

Cons

Communication SUCKS! I had to wait over TWENTY minutes for a manager to just come to my regester! The member was very upset and I couldn't do anything to get them done. It's very unfortunate that the communication is terrible. It's also terrible that I ask for help and I'm ignored. I'm new to the job and am not getting much help. It's frustrating. Also, there is little space to get in and out of the register space and I'm really skinny and it's hard for me to get in and out.

Please focus more on the communication... Help and don't ignore.

It's okay (for now).

Current Employee - Backroom Locator Specialist
    Current Employee - Backroom Locator Specialist

I have been working at Kmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced job. Nice coworkers. Hours are good for this position. Start early, finish early. Not very difficult and you have others helping you. Also don't have to deal with customers much.

Cons

The pay is kind of poor. The only positions are part-time. There's barely any room to move up into better positions. It's fine for a temporary job, but don't expect it to support a family so I'd only recommend this for college students or people with another part-time job already. It's also pretty disorganized and people get pissy if you forget how to do something.

The service desk is okay be it all depends who you work with.

I have been working at Kmart

Pros

Fun work place only because the customers.

Cons

Sitting on you feet for long periods of times

Growth

I have been working at Kmart

Pros

Training goals. Raises values fun

Cons

Culture leadership cleanliness people vacation

sales

Current Employee - Sales Associate in McAllen, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in McAllen, TX

I have been working at Kmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment to work in.

Cons

Too many hours, but good pay.
    Too many customers in the weekend. Have to be available every weekend to work.
    Its not good to be on call.