Kmart Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.0
Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling if needed or they are willing to put you on a fixed schedule (in 69 reviews)

• 10 percent employee discount on non sale items (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • They expect everyone to do everything for minimum wage (in 134 reviews)

• No raises even if you get a good evaluation (in 113 reviews)

1. No pay

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kewanee, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kewanee, IL

I worked at Kmart (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly hourly associates.Customers are friendly.

Cons

Bad benefits. Over worked and no raises ever.

Advice to Management

None

2. THE SHIP IS SINKING

Former Employee - General Warehouse in Brighton, CO
    Former Employee - General Warehouse in Brighton, CO

I worked at Kmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only pro I could say about this company is that I no longer work for them.

Cons

They don't treat their associates with respect. A number driven company when it comes to working in the Distribution Centers, numbers for an Reasonable Expectation are set high. End up loosing many good associates because there RE's are to high. No advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

GET REAL.... Your products can be out dated and they still want an outrageous price for the product.

3. Soon to be former employee of Kmart

Current Employee - Cashier in Erlanger, KY
    Current Employee - Cashier in Erlanger, KY

I have been working at Kmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros in this job. The only nice person in this job was the HR lady who hired me. Some of the teenagers that work there are nice, usually the guys because the girls are stuck up.

Cons

The people I work with are ALL underpaid and rude, no matter what level employee they are. Manager has a vendetta against me because I am too shy, and gripes about absolutely petty customer complaints, because what they are complaining about is both ridiculous and untrue. The store is dirty, we have bugs everywhere. Huge beetle cockroach looking things, not sure which it is but it is gross and scary. One ran by my foot. The store smells...bad. The register behind mine in particular has a smell that is unacceptable. The people you work with treat you like garbage, good luck asking for anything. Extremely underpaid to work in a dirty, very hot (no air conditioning) store all day. I have a fan but it is broken and does not work well. The store is run by teenagers and middle aged women. Everyone is rude, and if you don't catch on to the job fast enough they get nasty. And that's the people you work with. The store is very old and needs updating. The fact that there is no air conditioning is a huge problem for me. Customers are usually not very nice and will complain about you if you look at them wrong. Everyone is snappy and the work environment is toxic. You are underpaid, harassed, and not appreciated for your attendance or being there at all. I am getting another job as soon as possible and I have two interviews set up on Saturday. DO NOT WORK HERE especially if you are quiet or mild mannered. One of the worst places I have ever worked. They are talking about the store closing and I hope it does. There is a reason they went bankrupt and closed most of their stores.

Advice to Management

Just close all of the stores, retire the company.

5. Kmart

Current Employee - Data Integrity Specialist in Waupaca, WI
    Current Employee - Data Integrity Specialist in Waupaca, WI

I have been working at Kmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours. There is definitely the ability to move between departments, which can be advantageous.

Cons

Minimum wage, no raises, poor benefits, schedule being jerked around, never knowing what job you will be doing, short staffed, but the number one reason to avoid this place is the management. Terrible, unorganized, micromanaging, just don't give a darn about the employees, management.

Advice to Management

Employees are not numbers, they are your most valuable asset. Treat them as such. Small gestures can go a long way to making a happy work environment. Everything that you are doing now, reverse that.

6. Front-End Cashier

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Carson, CA

Pros

there really are no pros

Cons

can not leave the front of the store. when it gets really boring they will make you clean w/ a toothbrush and harsh chemicals. do not allow you to change your schedule either

Advice to Management

get it together!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Could be better.

Former Employee - Cashier in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Kmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible with schedule. Nice people and managers that wish they could do more.

Cons

They need to pay more to their employees starting at 7.25 an hour for the work you do is terrible. They also need to update their stores registers are very old.

8. store manager

Former Employee - From Rite Aid to Leaving Kmart I Have 26 Years of Experience in Oregon, OH

Pros

I had a great team of experienced associates

Cons

no communication from upper management

Advice to Management

started as a ASM

9. Keep job searching

Current Employee - Cashier in Charleston, WV
    Current Employee - Cashier in Charleston, WV

I have been working at Kmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of don't have to wear smocks anymore

Cons

Poor pay, rude supervisor some of management don't know how to run a cash register

Advice to Management

Promote employees that deserve it and demote those in position that should not be in that position that let the job go to there head and they think they are better then ones under them

10. Kmart Sucks

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waipahu, HI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waipahu, HI

Pros

Good, flexible hours. Especially during the holidays.

Cons

Worst company to work for, ever! Lots of favoritism, you only move up to supervisor if the current supervisors "like" you...No matter how long you've been there.

11. Worst experience possible.

Former Employee - Pantry Sales Associate in Wayne, NJ
    Former Employee - Pantry Sales Associate in Wayne, NJ

I worked at Kmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Schedule was some what flexible.

Cons

-Hours were cut if you tried taking time off. -Minimum wage with not much room for advancement. -Managers picked their favorites and made certain cashiers or associate do the dirty work... I could've easily started a workplace discrimination suit, but I'm in high school so who has the time for that. -Higher ups do not care about how good you are with customers, they are completely oriented on how many replacement plans you sell, what your reward's percentage is, etc. -Customers were always rude and unsatisfied with the store. -I became so fed up one day that I decided never to show up again!

Advice to Management

Not much... All the stores are basically closing down so hang tight I guess.

Showing 576 of 2,211 reviews