Kmart Reviews

1. carrer of a kmart cashier

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Kmart

Pros

you get discounts for working there

Cons

you cant sit you have to stand

buy new machines

2. Promises never kept. Does not have enough equipment to do your job.

I have been working at Kmart (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are no pros for this company

Cons

Terrible working conditions. Not enough pay for the required positions.

Provide enough equipment to do the job. Keep promises made. Fair scheduling.

3. Cashier, Customer Service, Floor Supervisor, Checkout Supervisor, Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Manchester, NH

I worked at Kmart

Pros

Learned so much about the Retail Business and how the Company was run. Also met so many interesting people and other employees were great working with.

Cons

Long days, On your feet for long hours with out a break

Take your job seriously and pay attention to detail.

5. Worst job I have ever had.

I worked at Kmart (less than a year)

Pros

Retail experience, and theat they schedule for 3 weeks in advance. One of my managers was hot.

Cons

Literally everything. Their registers are 20 years old and everything is so unorganized. They lie to you about where you're going to be working. I was told I was going to soft lines because it was my first retail job and they said lay away would scare me off. So what they actually did is make me a cashier instead of working softlines. And then My third day of work they schedule me in lay away BY MYSELF. (Lay away is the worst possible job there) and also you're supposed to make more if you're working back there. I didn't. You get less than a few hours of training on their 20 year old registers before they throw you on one completely alone. Everything there is outdated. You have to ask every single customer if they want to sign up for rewards and their phone number it's a very long process and causes customers behind them to get annoyed with you. Management will do you so dirty and treat employees like crap, especially the young ones. They treat you like dirt and then expect you to bend over backwards for them. All customers complain about how many receipt papers print out and how many questions are asked on the pin pad.

Why you gotta be so rude? Don't you know we're human too

Absolutely horrible and totally disappointing.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA

I worked at Kmart

Pros

None, truthfully. I have to say that even the paycheck wasn't worth the drama, torture and humiliation.

Cons

Crisis management style and no regard for employees whatsoever. They chew employees up and spit them out faster that you can blink. Hard to believe that the store manager has been with the company for 40 years. Not hard to believe that the management position I held has been vacant for the majority of the last 20 years. No support (for any department or employee) either at the site level or corporately. Inmates running the asylum. Dont walk, RUN away from this employer.

No advice for management, they wouldn't listen anyway. Advice to corporate? Pay attention, and maybe you would understand why the Kmart brand is taking a nose dive.

7. Ok for part time

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Kmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

worked around school schedule, is what it is

Cons

pay is extremely low...

8. friendly but dissatisfied co-workers and jr management

I have been working at Kmart

Pros

Flexible schedule, easy work, friendly coworkers

Cons

scattered and disorganized all the way to the top, lowest pay among similar jobs, cutting hours

9. Working at Kmart is a different experience.

Former Employee - Kmart Cashier in Wayne, NJ
    Former Employee - Kmart Cashier in Wayne, NJ

I worked at Kmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is a great opportunity to work with different kinds of people. You form friendships that you would not have made elsewhere. It also forms skills with interacting with customers.

Cons

The job is minimum wage which can be expected from a first job. It is what you make of it. You can make the job fun if you make the most of it.

Good people, good work

Former Employee - Pantry Lead in Hummelstown, PA
    Former Employee - Pantry Lead in Hummelstown, PA

I worked at Kmart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

After working in 2 stores and helping in 3 others, I've found mostly good, hardworking people focused on customer service and more than just their own problems. The managers that I worked with aimed to solve problems rather than quoting policy and sometimes even pushed back at the system for solutions that were good for customers, employees and the store as a whole.

Cons

Of course there will be the "kids" that want the paycheck without the work, but fortunately they're usually don't last long. Part-time only and low compensation policies keep a lot of the best candidates away.
    Technology is nearly antique, but trying to keep up with modern business.

The folks at the top need to give the store managers a little more freedom to run the stores. Sometimes one good full-timer can get more done and do more to WOW a customer than a dozen part-timers. Spending the extra to keep a good employee can bring much more value than just having bodies in the store.
    Also, if you are going to jump into something, like online ordering and the phone app, you need to go all the way, not just "enough." WiFi in the stores, ordering terminals, registers that can support it easily, employees dedicated to serving it, etc. Show that you are interested in these customers.

11. Good first job

I have been working at Kmart

Pros

Good job for teenagers, work with different people, work by yourself at times

Cons

ignorant managers, rude customers, work can get repetitive