Kmart

1,216 Reviews

2.4
1,216 Reviews

Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling allows for a good work / life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Well there's an employee discount and its expieriance for a resume (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • I guess they figure they can pay a teenager minimum wage to do the same job (in 103 reviews)

• No raises (even though I can do twice the workload of most new employees) (in 87 reviews)

More Highlights

Doing too much for too little

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Flexible scheduling, coworkers are great to work with

Cons

Wages are horrible. With no raises, a person working 10 years makes the same as a 16 year old new hire. Managers expect more stuff to get done yet they cut your hours. No positive feedback.

Improve morale and bring back pay raises.

Dislocated Managment

Former Employee - Department Lead  in  Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Department Lead in Bozeman, MT

Pros

As a retail environment it allows you to learn ALL aspects of retail, unfortunately that is due to being understaffed.

Cons

Company Vales, they have a horrific attendance policy.

Return to the sales floor, level 1 and begin again.

I got paid little and treated poorly.

Pros

The job was easy to get but, honestly, that really is the only pro to accepting a job here. Otherwise, there's nothing.

Cons

- You will not get the right training. This was the most frustrating thing of all--- and I'm even including the terrible pay. I started out pretty motivated. Given, the stuff you'll be doing at minimum wage isn't fantastic, but any charitable feelings I had were swept away when I was constantly put in positions where I didn't know how to respond and wasn't encouraged to ask questions.
    - The pay is bad. The hours are bad. The upper management WILL take advantage of you.

BETTER. TRAINING.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast paced, sometimes disorganized.

Former Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Times goes by fast, always busy. It is close to home. I always had flexible hours.
    During the holidays we have wonderful merchandise which equals happy customers.

Cons

There was not a lot of personal growth. Much focus on signing people up for Rewards card. No raises here.

Please add more staff, especially to the check out stands. Nice customers become irate if they have to wait 30 minutes to hand over their hard earned money.

Current Employee - 500
    Current Employee - 500

Pros

Other employees hate it as much as you, so everyone's in the same boat

Cons

Over worked, under paid , bad management

Give raises

It was the most mediocre of times, it was the worst of times

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Low expectations, poor accountability, salary, big box experience, the chance to work with antique equipment in case you ever start a retail museum, some really good people

Cons

No advancements, no raises, poor benefits, broken equipment, systems, you name it. No payroll, hard to hire good help that will stay due to everything that I just mentioned

Just close already and put everyone out of their misery

I'm just glad this was a college job and not a career

Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate  in  Lancaster, OH
    Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Lancaster, OH

Pros

Managers were nice enough.

Some fellow employees were enjoyable to be around.

HR was very understanding.

Cons

The company is going down the toilet and it's made clear by the minimum wage salary and items in stock. Make no mistake, this company only cares for the bottom dollar. You're more likely to be scolded for making an honest mistake rather than be complimented for handling a situation extremely well.

The entire store was poorly managed. The back rooms were horribly unorganized and the entire store just had a dirty feeling to it.

If you ever get a straightening the shelves job, RUN!

As with all customer service jobs expect to run into less than kind people. Sadly, it's made worse by the fact that the store makes numerous mistakes on pricing and items.

I hate to say this but Kmart should just go down quietly instead of continually relying on Sears. You had a good run in the 90s but it's over.

The people are great, everything else is awful.

Current Employee - Softlines Lead  in  Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Softlines Lead in Des Moines, IA

Pros

My coworkers and my direct manager are fantastic people. HR tries to work with us on scheduling issues and time off.

Cons

The pay is awful. I'm a department lead and I only make $8.50 an hour. They only ever give raises for promotions. The work load is ridiculous. Corporate keeps wanting us to do more and more special projects that don't really matter, and they keep cutting the budget, so part timers keep getting their hours cut. Managers don't want to listen to legitimate concerns about broken/faulty equipment, hazardous working conditions, or issues with other coworkers.

Listen to your employees when they come to you with concerns. We understand that, for the most part, there isn't a lot you can do about most of the concerns we bring up, but you could at least try to act like you care.

Going Downhill

Former Employee - Store Manager Intern
    Former Employee - Store Manager Intern

Pros

Room to grow, fast paced

Cons

Company is going downhill, hours are bad, culture is bad, company leaders cycle out a lot. Like any store retail job the hours are bad, which results in a difficult work life balance.

Invest in your stores.

Unorganized mess of a company.

Former Employee - Electronics Lead  in  Streator, IL
    Former Employee - Electronics Lead in Streator, IL

Pros

If you are lucky you will have good coworkers or supervisors. Upper management does not seem to know what it is doing and change their minds often. Work is very monotonous.

Cons

Company is slow to adopt modern technology. Your hours may change randomly from one week to the next. Do not be surprised if you have to close one day and open the next without a decent night's rest.

Improve raincheck sysyem.

Worked for Kmart? Contribute to the Community!