Kmart Reviews

1,239 Reviews

2.4
1,239 Reviews

Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling allows for a good work / life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Well there's an employee discount and its expieriance for a resume (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • I guess they figure they can pay a teenager minimum wage to do the same job (in 103 reviews)

• No raises (even though I can do twice the workload of most new employees) (in 87 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent place to build a resume

Current Employee - Pricing Specialist
    Current Employee - Pricing Specialist

I have been working at Kmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Kmart is a great place to build a resume. When I began working there as a cashier, my goal was to work here for a year so I could get cash handling experience and move on to another job. Little did I know, every single person in the store gets cash handling experience regardless of their position. After a few months on the register, I was moved to the salesfloor. I still operated cash registers but also interacted with customers and got experience in sales and merchandising. After a few more months I was moved up into pricing and management. More experience still. Basically this is a great job for a student because you will have a very broad knowledge of the retail world after a year.

Additional pros to working here are hours. You turn in your availability and you pretty much get catered to in that area. If you can only work evenings, just let them know and they'll make it happen.

Even though Kmart is past its prime, the stores still have evidence that it was once a much more successful company. There are a lot more employee amenities that some of the newer retailers don't offer. It's pretty basic but you get a private break room, private bathrooms, a room to make signs, a room to store shelving, a garbage chute so you don't have to drag garbage bags through the parking lot, multiple stockrooms, a cleaning staff, and a decent sized office for managers. I've worked at other retail stores that didn't offer any of these things.

Opportunities for advancement are frequently available. Like I said, you'll get a broad knowledge of retail business in a year because you have a lot of opportunity to move around.

Cons

Pay. You will start out at minimum wage and you will not get a raise. The only time you get a pay increase is if you move up to a level 2 or a level 1 position. Those are a little harder to come by. I was fortunate enough to get promoted to a level 2 position but even then, my raise was not a lot.

The stores are understaffed. A lot of responsibility rests on just a few overworked and underpaid employees, a lot of which are young and working their first job. As a result, turnover is extremely high. In the 18 months of my employment, I literally have seen well over 75 people come and go.

Regional managers are very demanding and hard to please.

Corporate is desperately trying to turn Kmart into the powerhouse it once was and as a result will send new instructions on how to perform tasks every week. Things are changing all the time and it gets hard to keep up.

The SYWR program is a great program but it's confusing and too much hassle for people to use. Rarely have I seen a customer go online and add coupons to their account. Most people don't even know what points are or how to use them and quickly forget once you explain it to them because it's too complex to comprehend without a lot of work trying to understand it.

In my instance, the store manager is a bit of a terrorist. She cannot make her mind up on a simple task and will get mad if you just figure it out on your own. She runs the store by instilling fear and intimidation to her employees.

Employees are what keep this place running and you seem to have the attitude that they are dispensable. Turnover is killing you.

Also, most of the merchandise that comes in doesn't get sold until it goes on clearance. Why not lower prices a bit to compete with Walmart? We're not selling them at full retail value and it might attract more customers. Nobody likes Walmart and there isn't a Target nearby to compete. We are the only alternative but people think we're too expensive.

Kmart is an okay company to work for.

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate  in  Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at Kmart part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The hours are good, the will always work with your schedule for school and anything else

Cons

They are just like high school. All of the leads act like they own the place and they get all carried away with the petty things. It makes you wanna quit.

Tell the management to stop acting like high schoolers

Kmart

I worked at Kmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good work environment with work life balance for associates

Cons

pay and no raises for due to performance of store ,that isn't always in the associate's control. Raisies should be based on associate's overall performance in their area of work and not result of the stores metrics and profit showings

Management should be held accountable for all aspects of store operations and if under performing , after an opportunity to improve should be replaced.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HR Manager

Former Employee - Human Resources Lead  in  Beckley, WV
    Former Employee - Human Resources Lead in Beckley, WV

I worked at Kmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved my job! I enjoyed doing payroll and schedules. I enjoyed the leadership in my title.

Cons

The computer training of every employee. It took 10 hr a week for them to complete so they were not working on the floor. I covered all shifts.

Give a little more. People do work hard.

Alright for a second job.

Current Employee - Hardlines Merchandiser  in  Edgewater, MD
    Current Employee - Hardlines Merchandiser in Edgewater, MD

I have been working at Kmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

The employees are typically friendly and it tends to be a fun job. Oh and an extremely flexible schedule.

Cons

No room for growth, crappy commission and pay tends to stay at your starting rate.

Higher pay wages

It's okay

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Delano, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Delano, CA

I have been working at Kmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The salary is decent. They really strive to make it family oriented.

Cons

The schedule/no family time. Benefits are not good.

Health insurance is horrible.

Excellent Store!!

Current Employee - Evening Sales Floor Supervisor  in  Tallmadge, OH
    Current Employee - Evening Sales Floor Supervisor in Tallmadge, OH

I have been working at Kmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome Management Colleagues and great associates. My management colleagues are excellent mentors to me and have taught me so much in such a short time. Everyone is so welcoming and friendly and willing to help me in so many ways. My associates that I supervise have been wonderful to work with and have all taken such initiative to learn new things and learn from me. I feel so welcomed and appreciated as a supervisor.

Cons

Pay could be a little better for the years of retail management experience that I have, but the company continues to look at ways that we can grow our brand and retain more customers by taking new tactical approaches and initiatives through new contests and programs such as our free layaway program and trying to get new Shop Your Way (SYW) customers. We are also making a huge effort to enhance our customer service skills and initiatives by providing a WOW experience and providing world class service to our members, which is something that we as a company currently are or have been lacking, but we will prevail in this area and come out on top as a number one retailer.

Just continue to support us in our efforts to strive to WOW our customers. I see our potential, and I see us getting there rather rapidly, and in our store, #3142, I am so totally impressed with our staff and am proud to be a part of a stellar management team. Debbie, Cliff, Christina, Kyle, and Susan (whom I have not met yet), you guys support us as new supervisors and Sharon and Lonnie and Josh, and my rock, Amy you have truly been gems to me and I cant thank you all enough. Though I have only been around 2 days, I feel that this is my 3rd home as I work at GFS too, and I love you all through both jobs and feel very proud to work for a wonderful company. And Diane who does everything, you have been my bridge over shark infested waters. I look forward to helping you all as much as I can and am fortunate to be a part of a STELLAR store and couldnt be happier. I look forward to coming to work daily. I want to meet everyone as soon as possible. Josh, you were a godsend.Sharon, Lonnie, Nancy, and carol, you are wonderful. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart, and of course my Diane. Another mentor whom is my bridge over shark infested waters.

the experience i have had with the company has been good service.

Current Employee - Kmart Cashier  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Kmart Cashier in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Kmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

working with this company is a great experience you are able to gotalk to a manager's and other employee's about the company and they will help you to learn more in the company as you grow.

Cons

the perks with the company is that you able to communicate with the public and understand how the people in the world shop and their to learn more in the public eye . people person .

working as the manage or in management you have skill to really intract with people and show the skills to sells what the store is about as well as the publis.

I love to work here.

I have been working at Kmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

I love to work with the individuals who shop here, and those whom with I work.

Cons

Constant training, and the low pay.

I need to survive on a salary.

Not the best place to work

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate

I have been working at Kmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

The co-workers that you work along side are mostly friendly and have good attitudes. They are willing to help each other out if they have the time to.

Cons

About half of the managers come into work upset and they like to take it out on the employees. The company quit giving raises to everyone and wants you to sell credit cards way to hard.

Don't bring personal problems to work and come up with better incentives for good performance.

Worked for Kmart? Contribute to the Community!