Kmart Reviews

1,318 Reviews
2.4
1,318 Reviews

Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling allows for a good work / life balance (in 52 reviews)

• Well there's an employee discount and its expieriance for a resume (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • I guess they figure they can pay a teenager minimum wage to do the same job (in 127 reviews)

• No raises (even though I can do twice the workload of most new employees) (in 105 reviews)

More Highlights

Good pharmacy co-workers and employees and good pharmacy managers.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Kmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay and the experience.

Cons

The pharmacy is way too understaffed. You have to do the work of two or more people. If a pharmacist wants a raise in salary he has to fight for it and nobody has the same salary (in the case of pharmacists).

Equalize pharmacist salaries and hire more pharmacy technicians, but give them more hours, please.

Difficult, not worth the minimum wage

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Kmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked the people I worked with, they were nice. The products have actually become more high quality in the store, which is great. Worked with my other full time schedule to give me hours when needed extra time.

Cons

No consistency with management, insulting employees. Minimum wage - even after working there several years. No raises and no opportunity for advancement. Disappointing.

Treat employees with respect. Your store couldn't run without them. Also, more training for employees would be a great idea...and not just computer based training. On-the-job training is vital.

Not too bad...for high school and college students

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Scranton, PA

I worked at Kmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-great flexibility, especially for high school and college students
    -friendly staff (at least where I worked)
    -okay training
    -good first job
    -able to work your way up

Cons

-the holidays are the worst part
    -technology such as registers are outdated and always freeze (customers become very angry)
    -management avoids problems and tells you to solve them on your own
    -minimum wage
    -layaway is the worst to work

Kmart

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kmart part-time

Pros

There was nothing good there

Cons

It was a bad place to work

Horrible company!

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate

I have been working at Kmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They offer 30 to 1 hour break, and also you can submit when you are not available prior two weeks before the event. The discount offered is pretty basic since it give 25% off in food 15% in clothing and 10% in everything else but not available in sale items, discount, or price drop items. The other department members are really fun.

Cons

Keep out a eye for the stuck up "Leads" ,your the assistance Managers, and you manager; they always have their favorites and you will see it right away. Most the time the service desk is your best friend since no one else can help you. Managers expect to make you work as a slave and be happy with minimum pay with no raises. You can only move up if your are friends with the leads or the managers.

I know that we work for Sears but make the effort to show gratitude for our hard work. They do give out price and stuff but only to leads and assistance. Make everyone feel important and if someone is not showing up; please fire him immediately .

Great people, not so great corp.

I worked at Kmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people who work hard. Generally enjoy the job, but can be unnecessarily stressful. Time off is easy to get, poor pay

Cons

Leadership has lost sight of the customer, focusing instead on Shop Your Way and other metrics. Cannot continue to cut staff and expect happy customers.

Work in the store elbow to elbow and see what "really" happens and why.

my experience with kmart was not a pleasant one.

I worked at Kmart part-time

Pros

the work was not challenging.

Cons

after discussing with the manager what hours I would not be available they decided to schedule me for those hours anyway. then I was told that I would have to find a replacement. I was not fully trained when I started. I was not trained on a cash register and then they would be upset with me when I could not fill in when it was busy.

Service Desk/Cashier

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Kmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Low Hours, easy to schedule work around whatever you need. Some companies the management and fellow employees are great. Customers are awesome that go to Kmart, if you're awesome to them then they're awesome to you.

Cons

Some companies the management and fellow employees are awful, The corporate HQ doesnt care at all about employees, horrible wages, no pay increase potential, won't give you a raise for working service desk unless you're available to work atleast 5 days a week and weekends (but they'll only give you 15-20 hours if they can help it). Low hours, impossible to get more than 29 hours when it's not christmas, most weeks are 15-20. Corporate standard is 20 hours for all employees and 4 hour shifts. They cant keep this standard however becaus ethe high turnover rate of most stores. No vacation until after a year of working there, and afterwards it is minimal. Anytime you can't come to work or are late for any reason you get half a point- 1 point against you, 6 points means you get fired. Your mother could die the day your supposed to work and they will still give you a point if you don't show up or half a point if you tell them. Only way to avoid this is to find a fellow employee to cover your hours, if they dont show up or are late then its a half point or point against you. Sometimes can feel like working at a miniature high school with some of the talking behind backs/caddiness. Good to start with for experience, but if you already have experience or secondary education then find something else, this place will take you nowhere. 3rd highest position pays around 10/hour, some cashiers at other places make 12/hour. Owner of the company makes money off of Kmarts closing, so he doesnt really care. Upper management/Corporate HQ has absolutely no clue what they're doing, their actions hint that they've never been in a kmart in their life.

Upper management needs to take care of their employees better, having knowledgeable long term employees makes customers a lot happier over new employees every month. There no real training that happens for positions, you learn by the seat of your belt after you're shown the basics. I've personally been training people after they get the basic training because I don't like seeing other people have to struggle like I did. Their deals and rewards card systems is random and can be ridiculous. Their systems are outdates. Nothing ever rings up right. Customers constantly fraud the company and everyone sees it happening but we cant do anything about it, no Security/loss prevention. Sales and Specials rarely ring up right. The checkout process takes over 2 minutes for every customer, even if someone only has one item because there is a massive gauntlet of questions and things that have to be hurdled just to get to the point of taking money, and then it takes even longer afterwards to get a receipt, absolutely ridiculous < This is senior management with a head up their arses.

Appalling pay, no incentives

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Associate
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Associate

I have been working at Kmart (more than an year)

Pros

Work with some good close colleagues and direct management. Flexible hours, which gives a good work life balance. Each day is different.

Cons

Pay is a joke, no incentives offered to high achievers. Outdated equipment, poorly maintained premises. Limited hours (so kmart don't have to give employees any benefits), unless of course it suits kmart management, then endless hours are expected. Common sense approach rarely utilised in day to day operations.

You don't always know best! Offer more competitive payments to those that deserve it.

Cashier

Former Employee - Kmart Cashier in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Kmart Cashier in Elmwood Park, NJ

I worked at Kmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can't say it was a hard job. I enjoyed some customers more than my actual coworkers and manager. I worked there part-time so I did not have a problem with the work-life balance.

Cons

Managers were rude, yet they were overly friendly with the employees they "liked", minimum wage, bad location, old and outdated systems, had to reach daily "quota" for enrolling customers into Shop Your Way Rewards memberships.

Pay more and treat EVERY employee equally. Don't play favorites just because some cashiers worked there for years.