Kmart

1,221 Reviews

2.4
1,221 Reviews

Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling allows for a good work / life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Well there's an employee discount and its expieriance for a resume (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • I guess they figure they can pay a teenager minimum wage to do the same job (in 103 reviews)

• No raises (even though I can do twice the workload of most new employees) (in 87 reviews)

More Highlights

Pay was not good

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Omaha, NE

Pros

The work is easy; some of the people that work there are good people.

Cons

The pay is not good. Customers can be very rude which is made worse by the fact that the stores are very understaffed.

You get what you pay for. Be willing to pay experienced employees more than minimum wage

Kmart

Former Employee - Receiving Associate
    Former Employee - Receiving Associate

Pros

Learning the job and performing job duties is not difficult. If you put in some time at this company the experience and skills obtained present an opportunity to move into other retail and sales positions.

Cons

While not impossible to advance within the company opportunities are typically limited. From my own observations new management personnel were brought due to experience with other companies while rarely sending long time employees with the skills and desire to the companies management training program. In my particular experience even lead positions were being reduced and combined which meant giving employees a lot of extra duties and accountability while only providing a small pay increase.

Full-time for hourly associates became less and less common during my time at the company. Scheduling was all over the place for some departments and sometimes included shifts that were as little as four hours long. During periods of increased business it was common practice to schedule employees for close to 40 hours spread out over 6 days and then to make up for labor costs by cutting hours for the weeks following which meant even fewer hours.

Maintain employees and build loyalty by providing employees with an income that they can at the very least expect to be somewhat regular. Turnover is insanely high and it doesn't have to be. It's not a terrible place to work, but for hourly employees it's not reliable enough for most unless you're looking for an after school job.

Worst management experience ever

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Hemet, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Hemet, CA

Pros

Great people to work with, most of the customers were very friendly, great customer service experience. I really excelled in dealing with customers on an everyday basis.

Cons

Management left a lot to be desired which is why the store is closing. Horrible security and not enough protection for the "HONEST' workers. Service desk causing shortages to the cashiers by not putting the right amount of money in the bags to start the register causing innocent people to lose their jobs because of register shortages.

My advice would be to find a new career because this management and security crew has closed various Kmarts in this area.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Store!!

Current Employee - Evening Sales Floor Supervisor  in  Tallmadge, OH
    Current Employee - Evening Sales Floor Supervisor in Tallmadge, OH

Pros

Awesome Management Colleagues and great associates. My management colleagues are excellent mentors to me and have taught me so much in such a short time. Everyone is so welcoming and friendly and willing to help me in so many ways. My associates that I supervise have been wonderful to work with and have all taken such initiative to learn new things and learn from me. I feel so welcomed and appreciated as a supervisor.

Cons

Pay could be a little better for the years of retail management experience that I have, but the company continues to look at ways that we can grow our brand and retain more customers by taking new tactical approaches and initiatives through new contests and programs such as our free layaway program and trying to get new Shop Your Way (SYW) customers. We are also making a huge effort to enhance our customer service skills and initiatives by providing a WOW experience and providing world class service to our members, which is something that we as a company currently are or have been lacking, but we will prevail in this area and come out on top as a number one retailer.

Just continue to support us in our efforts to strive to WOW our customers. I see our potential, and I see us getting there rather rapidly, and in our store, #3142, I am so totally impressed with our staff and am proud to be a part of a stellar management team. Debbie, Cliff, Christina, Kyle, and Susan (whom I have not met yet), you guys support us as new supervisors and Sharon and Lonnie and Josh, and my rock, Amy you have truly been gems to me and I cant thank you all enough. Though I have only been around 2 days, I feel that this is my 3rd home as I work at GFS too, and I love you all through both jobs and feel very proud to work for a wonderful company. And Diane who does everything, you have been my bridge over shark infested waters. I look forward to helping you all as much as I can and am fortunate to be a part of a STELLAR store and couldnt be happier. I look forward to coming to work daily. I want to meet everyone as soon as possible. Josh, you were a godsend.Sharon, Lonnie, Nancy, and carol, you are wonderful. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart, and of course my Diane. Another mentor whom is my bridge over shark infested waters.

I love to work here.

Pros

I love to work with the individuals who shop here, and those whom with I work.

Cons

Constant training, and the low pay.

I need to survive on a salary.

Ok for a temp job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Hooksett, NH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hooksett, NH

Pros

Flexible scheduling if needed or they are willing to put you on a fixed schedule.

Cons

I asked for mostly opening shifts or earlier the better. I got mostly closing shifts. They also do not give raises. Departments leads were making the same money I was.

Just because someone has been there awhile does not make them the best choice to lead others.

Great to get your foot in the door.

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed working with my coworkers. They are wonderful people who truly do have the customer's best interests in mind. Starting at Kmart while in high school gave me great insight into customer service and how to deal with the public.

Cons

Pay is less than desirable. Worked for them for over two years and never once saw a raise. I had experience at the customer service desk, the cash register, electronics and layaway departments, merchandise claims & control, receiving, and am a certified forklift operator, but I got paid the same amount as those associates who just worked one or two of those positions.

I am a huge advocate of taking pride in what you do, and I have taken pride in my job. It's just a bit discouraging after a while.

When it comes to pay, I know that management's hands are tied, what with the budget and the big wigs keeping tabs on them and all. Overall, I was pleased with management. My HR worked very hard to resolve scheduling conflicts and make sure that I had the days off that I needed for school and other events. The store manager and the assistant managers treat the staff well and are pretty well respected.

Good First Job

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Santa Rosa, CA

Pros

The co-workers were really chill. The HR rep that did the hiring was always really friendly trying to teach us how to do our jobs better. She really loved the company and that made work easier.

Cons

very little motivation, people that had been there for years had never received any raises. There was no way to move up. It was always the same. The reward program isn't all the great but we were suppose to get 75% of our customers to sign up- failing to do so could result in being fired. If I never wear a blue collar and khaki pants, it'll be too soon.

The video training is a waste of company hours. You can only really learn hands-on. The rewards program needs to have offers that give people perks without needing to buy- kind of how kohls has kohls bucks. There's no incentive for people to come in. Also those computers need to be replaced. They were constantly breaking down.

Fair.

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

Pros

Decent retailer with employees in mind.

Cons

Pay was less than competitors.

Nigeria.

customer service

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  North Augusta, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in North Augusta, SC

Pros

good company I really enjoy meeting people and talking to customeres

Cons

not enough hours I would like to have a job that I get more hours

Worked for Kmart? Contribute to the Community!