Kmart Reviews

1,258 Reviews
2.4
1,258 Reviews

Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling allows for a good work / life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Well there's an employee discount and its expieriance for a resume (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • I guess they figure they can pay a teenager minimum wage to do the same job (in 103 reviews)

• No raises (even though I can do twice the workload of most new employees) (in 87 reviews)

More Highlights

Kmart

I worked at Kmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good work environment with work life balance for associates

Cons

pay and no raises for due to performance of store ,that isn't always in the associate's control. Raisies should be based on associate's overall performance in their area of work and not result of the stores metrics and profit showings

Management should be held accountable for all aspects of store operations and if under performing , after an opportunity to improve should be replaced.

HR Manager

Former Employee - Human Resources Lead  in  Beckley, WV
    Former Employee - Human Resources Lead in Beckley, WV

I worked at Kmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved my job! I enjoyed doing payroll and schedules. I enjoyed the leadership in my title.

Cons

The computer training of every employee. It took 10 hr a week for them to complete so they were not working on the floor. I covered all shifts.

Give a little more. People do work hard.

Run the other way

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Kmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Well if managers tend to like you then then this is where you need to be! Favoritism is trough the roof here, they don't care about employes just making them work for as little pay as possible. But it's easy to get hired here as long as you apply you're guaranteed a job if there's openings. Just don't expect to get decent hours or support a family on this job alone.

Cons

Due to "hard times" this company altered reviews for two years to not give raises to it's employes based on sears holdings company policy. High expectations and no rewards, closed a store without notifying employes of the fact until they were putting up store closing signs. Employes with 15 plus years and close to retirement were not transferred to other stores instead put out if a job and on their butts, some with just months before they could retire out of the company. This company doesn't care about it's employes and after Sears holdings took over some of the better benefits of full time worker were taken away. Less holidays that were covered under holiday pay. High premiums for those who actually were offered insurance, but insurance was crap and covered under very high deductibles and bare minimal coverage.

You guys need to change the company as a whole and stop playing favorites so blatantly. Stop cheating employees out of a raise! After all you guys are ok with taking away raises when they switch departments. But you can't give out a 25cent raise for an employee who has been there loyally for a year?!?! Crappy company policy's and shady management activity.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They Don't Care About Their People

I worked at Kmart part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I don't really think I should be one doing a review for Kmart! I am a very dissatisfied and very disgruntled former employee. The only good that came out of me working for them is that I held many different lead positions. As for raises, haha they do not happen!

Cons

They do not care about their people! They close the doors and those people who have invested 10+ years get screwed because they were part-time! I have seen employees who have worked for 30+ years and 7 months from retirement who lost everything they had invested in their 401k when Kmart went bankrupt in 2001, yet they were loyal and stayed with Kmart only to lose their homes and everything else this year when they closed their door!!! 30+ years people!!!! And severance package? HA!!!! It doesn't matter how many years you were loyal, you don't get a severance package when you are part-time! Yet you can bail them out in the busiest times of the year and be there full-time hours, come in when called in, bust your butt for 30 years for them and for what???? To lose your home and everything else 7 months from retirement!

TAKE CARE OF YOUR PEOPLE! THEY TOOK CARE OF YOU!! I really don't think you will ever make it out of this one! You have lost the trust of the people. Pretty sad! Just remember when you are lining your pockets will all the money of the people who have lost their homes and everything else due to your greed just who lined them for you!

Never again!

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Fontana, CA

I worked at Kmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is not a single pro I can think of for this company.

Cons

low pay, limited raises, no leadership, going out of business

Alright for a second job.

Current Employee - Hardlines Merchandiser  in  Edgewater, MD
    Current Employee - Hardlines Merchandiser in Edgewater, MD

I have been working at Kmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

The employees are typically friendly and it tends to be a fun job. Oh and an extremely flexible schedule.

Cons

No room for growth, crappy commission and pay tends to stay at your starting rate.

Higher pay wages

Crappy

I worked at Kmart full-time

Pros

Only reason to work here is to collect a paycheck.

Cons

Treat employees poorly. Dirty. Cuts corners.

None. Why bother.... they would never listen.

It was hell

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Goleta, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Goleta, CA

I worked at Kmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked at the Kmart in Santa Barbara as a cashier and the pay was the only thing keeping me there. The pay was competitive and being a college student, I was desperate.

Cons

Everything about this place is awful. The supervisors and managers can sometimes be awful because they get pressured by management and corporate. The continuously do St. Jude donations. I'm all for donations but they pressure you to guilt trip customers to donate. If you don't get that many donations, supervisors will call you out. To get customers to donate, you'll find that you have to say messed up things such as "Would you like to donate to save a child's life?". HR doesn't care. The majority of employees are disposable-college students and Latinos. Huge turnover rate. Constant schedule changes. Constant pressure to sell credit cards. There's a huge population of Latino immigrants in Goleta whom does not speak English well. These credit cards really target them because they don't even know what they're signing up for just that they get 10 bucks of something off their purchase.

Kmart is a sinking ship

Former Employee - Key Carrier/Department Lead
    Former Employee - Key Carrier/Department Lead

I worked at Kmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

After over 6 years, starting at the bottom as part-time sales, I worked my way up to full-time key-carrier, lead, etc. They use to offer advancement opportunities, but not so much anymore.

Cons

The company is a disaster. When I first started there, it was a mess, but had a little bit of promise. Now, it is an absolute mess, and upper management has lost all concern for the stores, employees, customers, etc. You know, ALL the things that make a company work. The stores are falling apart because management will not invest in them, our store had leaks all over the roof, ceiling tiles falling randomly, broken floors, outdated equipment that did not work, burnt out lights. The back of the store was typically dark, the A/C did not work, the heat barely worked in the winter. Theft is out of control because they fired most of the LP across the country. You will be shorthanded and expected to perform the jobs meant for many people all by yourself. When I started, we had over 60 employees. 6 years later, our budget was cut so bad, we had about 35 employees, but the workload was increased, so we were all stretched to our limits. The pay is HORRIBLE. Part-time associates will start at min wage and stay there until they quit. Full-time pay was better, but unless you started 30 yrs ago, you will still make about $5/hr less than a veteran full-timer because they do not give raises anymore. I was a full-time key-carrier and a process lead, and made $5/hr less than other full-timers just because they started earlier. I do not recommend working at Kmart, unless it is a very short term job and you do not require hours or money. They will keep you at minimal hours (15/week avg), assuming you will just quit, and they will just replace you with someone else. My store was closed this spring, and it was a relief to finally be done with this horrible company.

Eddie Lampert, and upper management (corporate), has destroyed this company. You give no concern for the employees, stores, or customers. Your employees are working very hard every day doing 3-4 peoples' jobs because there is no payroll budget. All corporate seems to care about anymore is Sears card apps because they know their sales are in the toilet and will stay there.

Everyone you work with is rude and disrespectful.

Current Employee - Overnight Replenishment Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Overnight Replenishment Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay is not bad if you're working another job as well. No boss when you work overnight.

Cons

Staff doesn't communicate with each other or their employees. People call off and quit all the time, yet no one seems to know whose who or where they are or if someone switched with someone. Too many people think they are in charge when they are not.

One time, they messed my schedule up and when I showed up for work that night, I was not allowed in because the doors were locked and unlocking them would set off the security alarms. I told HR the next day..she didn't even apologize. Said it was a computer error and she seemed to be amused.

Store manager is rude and condescending.

Worked for Kmart? Contribute to the Community!