Kmart

Kmart Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

2.4 1,167 reviews

Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling allows for a good work / life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Well there's an employee discount and its expieriance for a resume (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • I guess they figure they can pay a teenager minimum wage to do the same job (in 103 reviews)

• No raises (even though I can do twice the workload of most new employees) (in 87 reviews)

More Highlights
1,167 Employee Reviews

Declining company makes ends meet at the expense of the employees

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chattanooga, TN

ProsEasy job to understand, and on a slow day when you can get your work done, it can be enjoyable.

ConsOverworked and underpaid, the company motto

Advice to Senior ManagementLevel the responsibilities between hardlines and softlines

Nah...

Hardlines Merchandiser (Current Employee) Rexburg, ID

ProsMostly flexible work schedule
    Co-workers were mostly good people

ConsPoor management
    Old and dated store

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid going bankrupt, because that is where you are headed...

Pleasant

ProsPayed weekly, 10% employee discount,

ConsToo much work for minimum wage been there 3 yrs with know wage increase only part time unless you are a manager/supervisor

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees there fair share

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

long hours, a lot of pressure from corp to hit several metric goals

Manager (Current Employee) Abilene, TX

Prosgood pay for salary, but thats about it

ConsPoor benefits, long hours, no work life balance and corp puts a lot of pressure on management in stores to hit several metric goals. Stressful environment

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on customers and employees

There are better retail jobs..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI don't really have any pros. The people I worked with were cool but thats about it.

ConsManagement were very selfish and inconsiderate.

The Cons and Not so Pros of Being a Kmart Employee

ProsThe only pro I can think of would be that the coworkers you become close to are like family.

ConsManagement doesn't care about it's employees, all you are is a number, sweetheart. If cashiers don't get people to sign up for rewards cards they get scolded and receive a cut in hours because they are "hurting the company". The management also plays favorites. It doesn't matter how many times you bring up an issue, even if it's with a coworker, management doesn't care at all. They expect you to do three different things at once. To go along with rewards cards, we already ask a ton of questions, and most of the customers get fed up with that, and if they write a complaint about their experience, we get talked to either way. Working at Kmart is kind of like being back in high school. There's "cliques" if you will, between the employees, and if you don't get into the "right one", you will be victimized by those that are in that "group". The turnover rate of employees is absolutely ridiculous. I hardly work with any of the same people as I did when I started and I've only been there almost a year. Most of the employees that quit are fed up with the management. So I think overall, management needs to get their heads out of their butts and realize that they are not any better than anyone else. This is a terrible company to work for and I highly advise against it unless you are ready to fight like there's no tomorrow to keep your job and please absolutely everyone you work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are not better than anybody else, so stop acting like it. Respect your employees.

Not good paying

ProsEasy to get in. flexible schedule.

Consnot good pay. no opportunity to grow.

Demoralizing workplace

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosquick hiring of new employees

Conspoor management style top down

Advice to Senior Managementimprove morale

Hard working

Cash Office Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) Tinley Park, IL

ProsA good work life balance

ConsLike the leadership I work around

Advice to Senior ManagementA good worker

Better than nothing..?

Customer Service Desk Supervisor (Current Employee) Springfield, OR

ProsIf you get on the good side with your manager, you may enjoy working here more. Usually there are opportunities for more hours if you want. If you work hard advancement opportunities are decent.

ConsFavoritism is a HUGE thing within this company. I don't know if it's just my store, or the company, but just about everyone I work with agrees. HR plays favorites and gives good hours to the ones she likes more. Our policy is garbage, and management is too afraid of getting a negative review to tell a customer "No.". The shop your way rewards card has to much focus and if the associate doesn't have over 75% of their customers to have a rewards card, they get in trouble. So we have to shove the card at our customers and practically beg them to sign up. It's too much stress for such little pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop paying favorites! Recognize the associates who actually work hard and not the ones you talk to for hours instead of working. Pay your associates what they're worth.

Worked for Kmart? Contribute to the Community!