Kneaders Bakery & Cafe Reviews

James Worthington

1. Nothing too special but still a good job

Former Employee - Sandwich Maker in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Sandwich Maker in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like to keep busy, this is a good restaurant to work at. All meal times require all hands on deck. With the constant flow of work and preparation for meals the time flies. You often rub shoulders with all the employees and always have someone to talk to throughout the day.

Cons

Very cramped. Not much room in these places to work. They have tried to cram everyone and everything in as little space as they can.

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees. I had a good relationship with my boss but I was the exception. When management knows the employees I feel there is more respect for the manager. Also, make the time there fun.

2. Hard Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I have been working at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are great

Cons

Manager and Owners not so great.

3. Not worth 8/hr

Pros

Take home day old bread, %20 employee discount, simple uniform

Cons

No breaks, on your feet all day. Back pain from leaning over a table and heavy lifting. Have to work holidays. Tedious work, sticky/stubborn dough. Was told there would be a raise but I see no sign of it and according to other employee reviews I never will. Oh, and you don't get to have a life. There are only a few people who work, so you won't ever get a day off or be able to get a shift covered.

Advice to Management

Make it worth our while. There are easier, funner jobs that only pay 8 bucks an hour.

5. HORRIBLE ESPECIALLY IF YOUR A PASTRY CHEF

Former Employee - Pastry Chef in Avondale, AZ
    Former Employee - Pastry Chef in Avondale, AZ

I worked at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*learn how to be a good chef *great training *get to decorate a lot of things

Cons

You will be left with no hours because pastry barely makes profit . if you are promoted to assistant pastry chef make sure they give you your raise because they never gave me mine! They are very shady. Salary sucks unless they give you hours

Advice to Management

Try to let the pastry chefs work more than 20 hours because we are the ones that get breakfest out and have to have the display case filled and species dial orders. Don't lie if your going to give someone a raise that's just messed up. Give it to them!

6. No hours

Former Employee - Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Employees are nice and very friendly

Cons

Owner is rude and don't care about you. Day manager steals food and is really rude. MaHe owner plays favorites and doesn't schedule you if you aren't on his list. No employee tips either. They keep all tips

Advice to Management

Take leadership classes

Poor Employee Treatment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

Pros

Possibilities of career growth Good pay and raises

Cons

My experience with Kneaders was one of true disappointment. I had hoped to stay with them for a while but after my treatment was so poor I decided to leave. I had spend many hours working hard for them, and I knew that I was appreciated for my work, and I was compensated for it in my wages but not in my overall treatment. My hours where rough and I had been burnt out for a long time. But, the atmosphere is such that there is not sympathy towards you if you are tired, over worked, never get time off, or need to take a break. Everyone is so tired and over worked that you are looked down upon if your work doesn't become your number 1 responsibility. I wasn't able to take much work off ever, and if I did I would loose my normal days off. You rarely get weekends off, and your holiday hours will be so much that you don't get to spend much time out of work except to sleep. They often have people close at night and work again in the morning. Most employees complain about management, other workers, and customers all the time so you constantly feel like you are either being talked about or feel overwhelmed by the negative feeling. Some employees get a lot of work off, while other are never given much time off at all. The aggressive and sometimes rude are often promoted while those who are nicer more even tempered are looked down on for not being stern enough. I wish that my experience had been better and could have been if I had been allowed to work better hours, or been able to have time off. I wish the best for all of those that work for them, but there is not much understand if you don't understand things. Also, good luck if you need to take a sick day because they are frowned upon and if you take one, you have to get a doctors note proving you were sick or you will get fired. That is very hard for a lot of the employees because they can't afford insurance and Kneader's doesn't offer any.

Advice to Management

Management of the stores varies from store to store so I can not speak in behalf of all. Most managers are really great and kind people. Most of the cooperate trainers are nice as well, except very stern and sometimes mean. Colleen, one of the owners has a good heart but isn't understanding of employees outside needs. She mostly thinks all outside work things shouldn't effect your work, and there isn't any give in her opinion. I think she really means well, but does not think that employees should come first in treatment ever. James, the CEO is a great guy though and should not be judged biased on the actions of others within the company.

A Not So Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parker, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parker, CO

I have been working at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They try to work around their employees schedules, the employees are often friendly and helpful, its a good first job for high school students.

Cons

Breaks are very few and far between, management doesnt really seem to know what they're doing. Bakers and pastry are basically treated like slaves, working anywhere from 10 - 15 hour days up to 6 days a week. Was promised a raise several times and have still not received one. Corporate just kinda throws people out on their own without even so much as a good luck.

Advice to Management

Employees working full time (or more) should be offered benefits and well deserved raises. maybe try sending out people who actually know what they're doing when opening new stores so that you can actually keep employees for more than 3 months.

9. Great Place to work/ Don't understand most of the Negative reviews

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

I have been working at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked here for some time now and been extremely pleased with the company. I am excited to let people know that I work here. I have had other jobs in other industries and this is by far the best place to work. Most of the complaints that I have read through are down right wrong. I have worked with the CEO and owner (Colleen) and know that they do expect people to come to work and give their best. They have high expectations of those that work for them. Personally I like having high expectation in a work place. They are in now way racists as has been put into a review. I have never had an issue with Corporate. When running a franchise there are certain ways things need to be done to maintain standards for the Brand. I have personally seen the generosity from the Owners and CEO. I have heard conversations about employees and how they can help them in the challenges they have not only at work, but in their private lives. I have always found it interesting that employees seem to "know better" how to run the business. Yet in all my years of working I have noticed that these are the same employees that go from job to job and complain about how it is run and never are satisfied.

Cons

Are a very busy and fast paced work place. Not really a con if you like being busy at work.

Advice to Management

I enjoy the progression the company is making and am excited for the future of Kneaders. I believe that it has the right people leading. I think that Colleen is Great and enjoy her as my employer. I hope to be working here for a long time.

GLAD TO BE GONE!!!

Current Employee - Baker
    Current Employee - Baker

I have been working at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved my coworkers. We bonded over our shared misery.

Cons

The corporate officers and owners were very rude and loved to tell you everything you were doing wrong (and often times they were wrong about their own product). They would embarrass employees, conspire to make someone miserable so they would quit (and avoid the hike in their unemployment insurance rate), and steal employee tips. I quit due to their unreasonable demands after busting my butt for a loooong time. There were employees that would quit on their first day or first week due to the craziness. I stuck around for the pay, but it was not worth being treated like garbage. No breaks, no respect and no trust (cameras in the bakery to watch the employees, but not the front)? NO THANKS!

Advice to Management

None. They seem to know everything already. Haha.

It's a place to work when you need a place to work.

Former Employee - Sandwich Maker in Saratoga Springs, UT
    Former Employee - Sandwich Maker in Saratoga Springs, UT

I worked at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good structure--duties and expectations were clearly outlined. More hours given upon good behavior. The employee discount was smaller than other restaurants, but worth it. Occasionally there were unsaleable items (pastries weren't pretty enough) that were available for employees to take home. This business is booming; there's always something to to to keep busy.

Cons

Absolutely no discipline for unacceptable behavior from employees. Hours were cut if employees asked for breaks after 6 hours. Those who smoked were given multiple breaks daily and I, myself, thought about picking up the habit to get a break and be able to keep hold on my hours. Managers seemed to turn a blind eye. Rules were followed (by managers) when higher-ups were watching but seemed to be disregarded when left on their own. Raises were given "just because." There were no performance reviews, just a casual, "you make (this much) now." said right in front of others, creating contention.

Advice to Management

Keep a closer eye on your franchisees. More frequent inspections may be necessary to ensure rules and procedures are being followed and that corners aren't being cut.

RSS Feed </> Embed