Kneaders Bakery & Cafe

Updated August 10, 2014
Updated August 10, 2014

2.1

James Worthington

Worked at Kneaders Bakery and Cafe for over a year.

Former Employee - Floater - Could Do All Positions  in  Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Floater - Could Do All Positions in Provo, UT

Pros

-Great store management. I was lucky enough to work in a Kneaders that had amazing management and a positive work environment.
    -Higher than minimum wage pay. The pay was good and raises were easy to obtain, quickly.
    -Fun environment. Our management always made an effort to make our work life fun and exciting.
    -Great customers. The environment lends itself to a lot of regulars and wonderful, returning customers that make your day even better.

Cons

-Corporate. Unfortunately, corporate is difficult to deal with. But really only the managers deal with them one-on-one.
    -Infrequent breaks. Breaks are not required in Utah for some reason so we didn't have scheduled breaks but I was never declined a break when I asked for one. And I was never looked down upon for taking breaks.

Nightmarish and abusive.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

Pros

Pay is higher than other food service jobs.

Cons

Breaks were not allowed during 10+ hour shifts. When you asked for one you were told "later", which never came, or flat out "no". You were not allowed to call in sick and were treated very poorly if you tried.
    The owner of the franchise goes out of her way to insult every employee when she enters the store. She would belittle our performance and often made employees cry, showing disgust and impatience when it happened in front of her. They have cameras placed all over the store due to their distrust in their employees.
    Kneaders is the most unkind company I've ever had the displeasure of knowing. The founder/owner is the most hurtful, controlling, disrespectful person I've ever met. The only reason anyone stays as long as they do is the high pay for the industry. I refuse to eat at any of their establishments because I know it supports such awful human beings.

Verbal abuse, distrust, and poor working conditions are the worst ways to manage people.

Terrible place to work.

Former Employee - Grill  in  Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Grill in Provo, UT

Pros

Started at 8.00 an hour, however that was for a grill position so I don't know how pro that is. Especially at a place that made 26 billion annually 2 years before now... let alone whatever unimaginable number they make now.

Cons

The owner worked frequently and was not terrible to any degree, however, the general manager who he hired was ridiculous in her behavior and requests. I worked here all of three weeks... I was fired for being late too many times. late was 5 mins or 10 mins behind. Because... you know driving across town to get to work never effects them either (sarcasm). I worked overtime my first week while another employee left and during that time another employee walked out. I was un trained and expected to know the in and outs of the store... while it's General Manager did not. I was yelled at on my second day for not going fast enough. I was fired 7 days after my last "reported tardiness". When I was sick I was not asked to bring in any doctors note and no punishment for that however it was used in my termination against me, even though I would have been fine getting one and still could have but was too late. I was fired 7 days after being late and after working multiple days in that time and also after covering a shift they begged me to cover, which once again I was completely untrained on and still did. And then the next day I come in for work... 5 mins early mind you.... and I'm fired. (btw being late on a schedule that is two days 5 am three days 6 am one day 5:30 am and they were also switching me to nights so then it would bounce to 3pm to 11pm or flipped from there to 5am. I'm not magical... I just got the job and you aren't even giving me a schedule to adjust too.... thanks for the opp. kneaders)

Get new management.... maybe someone who wasn't hired in not knowing how to do anything. Someone who has actually worked there awhile and knows the in and outs.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unreasonable physical demands

Former Employee - Sandwich Maker  in  Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Sandwich Maker in Orem, UT

Pros

~Started above minimum wage due to past experience
    ~Gave nice raises based on performance
    ~Requests for cross-training in other jobs welcomed and granted.
    ~The managers all pitch in. The Store I worked at was the headquarters and even the founder would come over from the HQ and help run the store.

Cons

~You are expected to work through your entire shift without a break unless you were under 18years old. If asked the managers would claim that breaks were allowed but if you actually asked for one you were told later or not right now. I usually worked dayshift and would work from 7 or 8am until 4pm without a single break or something to eat. The only time I was allowed to leave the sandwich area for a "break" was due to temporary blindness from an extreme migraine caused by the stress of training and probably hunger. Even then the manager at the time was very upset with me for leaving.
    ~Received several tips while working as a server and table busser. There was no written policy for tips but if you report it to the store manager it would be taken from you for "fairness" since you weren't the only employee contributing to the customer. However, the tip is never seen again.
    ~Store management never seemed to get along with the corporate management.

Your employees are not robots.

Kneaders has slaves, not employees.

Pros

They have competitive wages. Food is great.

Cons

Owners keep employee tips. No breaks or lunches. If they need you to stay, they don't ask, you had just better do it or get fired. Doesnt matter if you have to pick up your kids from school and you were scheduled to be off an hour ago - those kids can wait! You had better never get sick or pregnant and have a slow day because you will be reminded that you are easily replaceable and they will fire you.

The corporate owners are greedy beyond belief. The trainers and corporate staff are inept, but try to tell you that you're doing everything wrong.

Dont ever expect a kind word or praise from anyone here, it doesnt happen.

Treat your employees kindly. They are breaking their backs to line YOUR pockets, if they were treated better, they would actually stay more than a week or a month.

Franchise owners are great, corporate owners are not

Pros

They worked with me on my schedule. Pay was better than expected. GM's and franchise owners are cool but are always irritated by corporate. Alot of the people that work there are pretty nice.

Cons

Corporate owners who do inspections are awful. They think they know what they are doing but fact is twice as many stores are owned by an investment group that corporate. They whine about everything and give no commendation. Micro managing, nitpicking, self absorbed, better than you attitude gets really old really fast. Send people home without asking. Treat pastry and bread crew like slaves - 10, 12 or more hour shifts and then tell them to suck it up - even though they never warned about the demanding schedule.

Treat employees like you say you do on your menu - "we consider ourselves a family". Or change your menu and stop lying. Listen when people have concerns and quit firing everyone you do not like on a personal level.

Well-paid, but unreasonable.

Former Employee - Sandwich Maker  in  Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Sandwich Maker in Orem, UT

Pros

Great pay for a no-degree job. They give you raises really quickly.

Cons

They didn't give you any breaks. While they said it was okay to take a break, they didn't facilitate that and never scheduled enough people during busy times to make it possible. Generally you were expected to work straight through your shift with only a soda from the fountain (which they did give freely) to get you through. I worked there for four months and never once ate anything during my 9-4 shift.

Worked for Kneaders Bakery & Cafe? Contribute to the Community!