Knewton

Updated January 6, 2015
Updated January 6, 2015
4.4

Jose Ferreira

Work with amazingly smart and kind people, great opportunity for growth

I have been working at Knewton

Pros

- The people that work here are incredibly smart, thoughtful, kind, humble, diverse, pro-active
    - Good work-life balance, the right amount of process & organizational structure
    - A lot of opportunity to take ownership and grow
    - I've seen noticeable improvement in communication and process during my employment here

Cons

- No 401K contribution from the company

Good job - keep it up!

Software Engineer

I have been working at Knewton

Pros

Great People, Great Engineers to work with. I can speak to the engineering managers for platform and recommendations team being good. The company financial health is OK. They are not the highly funded(as far as absolute numbers go) but they are well funded enough to pull their weight. Great data science team; Lots of good work here if you are interested. The company's core business use case(recommendations to students based on assessments alone) provides very unique and good engineering challenges.

Cons

Salary and compensation benefits need a revision. Over engineering solutions: Thought they have gotten better at this. Its still a problem. Very different appraisal norms across teams. Messaging to the outside world about our objectives could be better.

Great place to work

I have been working at Knewton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great, friendly, open culture, with passionate people who want to be thoughtfully involved in shaping how education responds to the digital age. A good work-life balance is consistently supported and reinforced. I’ve really enjoyed my work and interacting with coworkers to make it happen. Given the domain and the company’s rapid growth, there is a lot of opportunity to advance and take ownership of interesting projects.

Cons

Given Knewton’s growth (in company size and in number of partnerships), the company is also changing quickly. While the senior management’s vision for the company is frequently and very openly discussed, it’s still hard to anticipate how Knewton will look in one or two years.

Change the world with some of the smartest people in the industry

I have been working at Knewton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

* Brilliant people
    * Work on one of the most important problems in the world: improving education
    * Encouraged to change anything you don't like through an RFC process
    * Work hard culture without destroying your life
    * Quarterly hack day!
    * Weekly open discussions with upper management, usually with CEO
    * Great open work space
    * Free dinner & metro cards (basic tech startup stuff)

Cons

Communication across the company could be better, although it is improving, and goes with the territory with a rapidly growing company. It's also not always clear what is necessary in order to advance at the company.

Continue to grow aggressively.

Knewton is a great place to work. My peers are passionate and supportive and I am challenged every day.

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Knewton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The culture is extremely supportive and the business goals create challenges that will help you grow in your career. But not only is Knewton a great place for you! It is also improving education for students around the globe. The people who work at Knewton are passionate about this mission.

Cons

Growth is probably Knewton's biggest challenge. As Knewton grows it is constantly looking to improve practices and procedures. These changes can be painful at times. There are also members of the organization that have been around for a long time that are resistant to the changes.

Solid culture, team, and opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Knewton full-time (less than a year)

Pros

nice office space / top engineers / transparency and strong leadership from senior mgmt / an unparelleled opportunity as a leader in big data & edtech industries / many employees still here from company's early stage (a great sign)

Cons

we're outgrowing the office space / no company 401K / need more focus on metrics

doing a great job

A great place to work, in a domain with lots of potential.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Knewton full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Knewton emphasizes hiring talented and motivated people and succeeds at it. Communal space is exceptional and I really like going to work. They are very flexible with my work from home hours. I have great gear and any extras that i need to be comfortable while I work. People here are well balanced and interested in the world. Staff are not only contributing to their jobs, but also to the open source community and to the world at large. There are numerous examples of staff enrichment guilds, and volunteer work, and many scientific papers to be found. Hack days are quite exceptional events. We have whole product lines that exist because of them.

Cons

We are growing fast and we will be a little cramped until we secure our new space.

Keep it up. Get that new space ASAP.

Incredible group of people and fun, positive culture

I have been working at Knewton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really amazing group of people who are passionate about the work they are doing and care about the cause. Good work-life balance and management team makes a lot of effort to continually improve the culture.

Cons

Sometimes not as communicative regarding the overall product strategy as they could be.

Keep working on communication and transparency around product strategy. It's gotten better but can still be improved.

Great vision, people are doing the right stuff to make the company grow to the next Netflix of education.

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Knewton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Smart and motivated people. People don't just do their job, they own stuff. Makes life easier and unties my hands.
    - Tech is cutting edge. Everyone contributes from large designs to code improvements to tools. No fear of trying something completely new if something is broken.
    - "Knerdy" culture. Lot's of learning and teaching happening in the office: people take online classes together, teach seminars from machine learning to java best practices to cooking classes.

Cons

- For someone with a family Knewton is a bit intense. This is understandable as the company is hitting an exponential growth curve and there is a lot of stuff happening on all fronts. Be prepared to react during the late night once a month on average.
    - Working remote is a challenge. Even though it's encouraged in theory, in practice Knewton is not there yet to fully support this given the speed that things move.
    - For the amount of work one is performing compared to other companies that are entering their 6th year, the compensation could be better.

Management is solid and available to anyone. They have the right balance of vision and practicality. Keep it going.

Great place to work

I have been working at Knewton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great vibe in the office, interesting challenge, work-life balance

Cons

No 401K contribution from the company.