Knewton

4.4

Jose Ferreira

Great place to work

I have been working at Knewton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great, friendly, open culture, with passionate people who want to be thoughtfully involved in shaping how education responds to the digital age. A good work-life balance is consistently supported and reinforced. I’ve really enjoyed my work and interacting with coworkers to make it happen. Given the domain and the company’s rapid growth, there is a lot of opportunity to advance and take ownership of interesting projects.

Cons

Given Knewton’s growth (in company size and in number of partnerships), the company is also changing quickly. While the senior management’s vision for the company is frequently and very openly discussed, it’s still hard to anticipate how Knewton will look in one or two years.

Solid culture, team, and opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Knewton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

nice office space / top engineers / transparency and strong leadership from senior mgmt / an unparelleled opportunity as a leader in big data & edtech industries / many employees still here from company's early stage (a great sign)

Cons

we're outgrowing the office space / no company 401K / need more focus on metrics

doing a great job

Knewton is a great place to work. My peers are passionate and supportive and I am challenged every day.

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Knewton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture is extremely supportive and the business goals create challenges that will help you grow in your career. But not only is Knewton a great place for you! It is also improving education for students around the globe. The people who work at Knewton are passionate about this mission.

Cons

Growth is probably Knewton's biggest challenge. As Knewton grows it is constantly looking to improve practices and procedures. These changes can be painful at times. There are also members of the organization that have been around for a long time that are resistant to the changes.

Change the world with some of the smartest people in the industry

I have been working at Knewton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Brilliant people
    * Work on one of the most important problems in the world: improving education
    * Encouraged to change anything you don't like through an RFC process
    * Work hard culture without destroying your life
    * Quarterly hack day!
    * Weekly open discussions with upper management, usually with CEO
    * Great open work space
    * Free dinner & metro cards (basic tech startup stuff)

Cons

Communication across the company could be better, although it is improving, and goes with the territory with a rapidly growing company. It's also not always clear what is necessary in order to advance at the company.

Continue to grow aggressively.

Incredible group of people and fun, positive culture

I have been working at Knewton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really amazing group of people who are passionate about the work they are doing and care about the cause. Good work-life balance and management team makes a lot of effort to continually improve the culture.

Cons

Sometimes not as communicative regarding the overall product strategy as they could be.

Keep working on communication and transparency around product strategy. It's gotten better but can still be improved.

Great vision, people are doing the right stuff to make the company grow to the next Netflix of education.

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Knewton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Smart and motivated people. People don't just do their job, they own stuff. Makes life easier and unties my hands.
    - Tech is cutting edge. Everyone contributes from large designs to code improvements to tools. No fear of trying something completely new if something is broken.
    - "Knerdy" culture. Lot's of learning and teaching happening in the office: people take online classes together, teach seminars from machine learning to java best practices to cooking classes.

Cons

- For someone with a family Knewton is a bit intense. This is understandable as the company is hitting an exponential growth curve and there is a lot of stuff happening on all fronts. Be prepared to react during the late night once a month on average.
    - Working remote is a challenge. Even though it's encouraged in theory, in practice Knewton is not there yet to fully support this given the speed that things move.
    - For the amount of work one is performing compared to other companies that are entering their 6th year, the compensation could be better.

Management is solid and available to anyone. They have the right balance of vision and practicality. Keep it going.

A great place to work, in a domain with lots of potential.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Knewton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Knewton emphasizes hiring talented and motivated people and succeeds at it. Communal space is exceptional and I really like going to work. They are very flexible with my work from home hours. I have great gear and any extras that i need to be comfortable while I work. People here are well balanced and interested in the world. Staff are not only contributing to their jobs, but also to the open source community and to the world at large. There are numerous examples of staff enrichment guilds, and volunteer work, and many scientific papers to be found. Hack days are quite exceptional events. We have whole product lines that exist because of them.

Cons

We are growing fast and we will be a little cramped until we secure our new space.

Keep it up. Get that new space ASAP.

Great place to work

I have been working at Knewton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great vibe in the office, interesting challenge, work-life balance

Cons

No 401K contribution from the company.

Super-smart people working on something that matters

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Knewton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A LOT of talented, humble people working in one room (almost 100)
    - Strong entrepreneurial culture that rejects anything overly corporate or even traditional
    - Beautiful, huge office near Union Square (moved in summer 2012)
    - Vast responsibility and empowerment given to those who take bold steps
    - Powerful mix of proven technologies, open-source tools, and in-house special sauce
    - Big emphasis on individual accountability and transparency in all functions, which enables teams to make decisions openly and move quickly

Cons

Company sometimes has a tough time internally as a tech company in the education industry. Product development and sales cycles can be long due to the natural rhythm of the industry, which predictably causes internal friction.

Excellent team and a strong culture

I have been working at Knewton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong, fun culture (table tennis, happy hours, stocked kitchen, unlimited vacation), great engineers, lots of communication between the tech and business sides. Devs are passionate about their work and craft, but not obsessed with fads or the hottest trends.

Cons

Eagerness to pack things onto the roadmap. Communication can be an issue (as usual for a quickly-growing team).