Knight Transportation Reviews

Reset
3.2
David A. Jackson
1 Rating

Pros
  • Freight Ready, Operate Everywhere, Yards all over, great phone apps, good local directions, not forced dispatch (in 4 reviews)

• they have good home time, and new trucks (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • work long hours, poor management, don't really tell you what to expect in the position (in 9 reviews)

• I had a mediocre driver manager who didn't have any listening skills (in 5 reviews)

i was a company driver

Pros

non-forced dispatch. you can fix your own hours. very nice if you want part time work. they keep things informal.

Cons

dispatchers tend to be young. regional pay, which is less than coast to coast. if you spent more than 2 hours with a customer, they would not always pay. however, this has since been corrected via a class action suit.

Advice to Management

try to develop more customers in Oregon and Washington. therefore, it will be easier for backloads. overall, I think they are a good company.

2. Great!

Pros

Great environment. Everyone is really nice.

Cons

Long hours but is worth it

3. Full time office employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Knight Transportation (More than a year)

Pros

SOME of the people you work with will be great. Company is debt free.

Cons

No employee development, poor leadership, salaried working minimum 50 hours a week, there is never a short week. Only special people get to telecommute. There is no training process. Drivers are seen as equipment and not people. i could go on forever with the list of negatives.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring and promoting your pals and put people in positions that can AND want to do the job. hold people accountable whether positive or negative. make service center manager respect and honor Knight regulations. Cant understand why one driver gets a cell phone ticket and keeps a job, and another will be fired for sneezing. The favoritism is rampant and will stop Knight from being the company it could be.

Great Company

Former Employee - Over the Road Truck Driver in Martinsburg, WV
    Former Employee - Over the Road Truck Driver in Martinsburg, WV

I worked at Knight Transportation (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of miles great pay

Cons

Sometimes lots of city hauls

6. Driver Manager

Current Employee - Driver Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Driver Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Knight Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and has potential to move up in the company.

Cons

Stressful at times. Job is demanding to hit weekly goals.

Great

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Knight Transportation (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Family orientated

Cons

Long hours. 10+ hours for 8 hours pay

EEO

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

I worked at Knight Transportation (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty good salary and bonus system. Opportunity to advance is you play the politics well. Decent health care benefits.

Cons

Company really needs to look at itself internally. They have serious equal opportunity issues.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your service center managers in regards to equal opportunity. Managers are ego driven. Listen to experienced managers when you hire them. Treat people fairly and not like dogs/slaves. your planners and broker are young and disrespectful.

Great company to drive part time for

Former Employee - Casual OTR Truck Driver in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Casual OTR Truck Driver in Portland, OR

Pros

I was looking for a trucking job that wasn't full time and what Knight Transportation had to offer was just what I was looking for. Was treated pretty good especially after they got to know me well. Was able to share a truck with another driver for awhile, we made a deal were he would go out for about 6-9 days then I would do the same. Then for a few years I would just call my dispatcher when I wanted to go out and then would use one of the extra trucks they would have. I would haul freight up to Edmonton AB from Portland or Portland to Phoenix Az sometimes n just work my way back being gone about 7-8 days then take about 10 days off or more. A few times I even took over a month off n they were ok with it. I would usually make pretty good money each week out, generally around 1k or so.

Cons

Not enough empty trailers, some times I would have to go all around a 20 mile radius looking for am MT. When you call to talk with your dispatcher it would most often take way too long before he would be able to speak with you.

Advice to Management

Don't govern the trucks at 64mph that's feels disrespectful to the drivers, also stop with the electronic idle shut off on the trucks, that also is disrespectful to the drivers. We are actuall human beings not animals you know! Other then those things your all pretty good I suppose.

10. excellent place to start

Former Employee - Driver Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Driver Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Knight Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Knight is in excellent company to work for. I have nothing but great things to say about Knight. They showed me a great deal of skills from problem solving, critical thinking as well as being the best manager i can be.

Cons

only con i see in working with knight is the long hours but it is worth it in the end.

11. Admin Administrive

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Knight Transportation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

knight is like a family owned business, they take pride in their employees and try to satisfy you, they work well with your needs, it is a great environment and good people

Cons

The downfall for working for a knight is they don't pay very well and the pay could be better for the hours you put in.

Advice to Management

As a company that has done very well and is trying to become more successful and they have already had she'd their goals and profits but they're strong company to keep moving forward

RSS Feed </> Embed