Knight Transportation Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Knight Transportation Chairman and CEO Kevin P. Knight
Kevin P. Knight

Pros
  • Freight Ready, Operate Everywhere, Yards all over, great phone apps, good local directions, not forced dispatch (in 4 reviews)

• they have good home time, and new trucks (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • work long hours, poor management, don't really tell you what to expect in the position (in 9 reviews)

• I had a mediocre driver manager who didn't have any listening skills (in 5 reviews)

Knight

I worked at Knight Transportation

Pros

Great Coworkers and Competitive Pay.

Cons

The Work Life balance could improve.

Refrigerated driver

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Knight Transportation

Pros

OTR was Great south west regional, all drom and hook, no delays in finding loads, and pay was always correct or swiftly resolved on daily pay.

Cons

Need more local drop and parking lots near where they have dedicated work, not everyone and just park a rig in the city for hometime. Need to get rid of the sliding pay scale and set local pay and LTL pay to compete with Estes and ABF or no one will run local loads when next years cost of living kicks in, and EPA standards arise

Advice to Management

Dont change much, just keep inproving, its a Great place to work, and other then keeping every terminal clean and free laundry vs some hit and mis, all was OK

3. Class A CDL

Current Employee - Class A Driver in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Class A Driver in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Knight Transportation

Pros

I love driving, knight is a very special, easy going, hard working company that believes in their drivers and works well with them.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say..... Only con that I can think of is that they don't have alot of empty trailers to go around. If ya have to do a drop and hook and there is no empty then it may take ya all day long to find one and ya don't get paid hardly to drive all around that once ya get there, there still is not a empty trailer. With that saying, it makes ya late for your next pickup

Advice to Management

I enjoy them

5. Take it if you dare

Current Employee - Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Knight Transportation (Less than a year)

Pros

No real pros.. You do get to meet awesome coworkers

Cons

No work life balance. Incompetent management.

6. OTR Trucking

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Lebanon, TN
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Lebanon, TN

I worked at Knight Transportation full-time

Pros

Great pay, benefits, daily pay option, time off when needed, many different driver options, nice equipment, no forced dispatch to NE. Great bonus incentives.

Cons

I really don't have ant complaints...they were real good to me. They always worked with me and gave me plenty of miles. I was never bored, never sat except when it was time for a restart.

7. None

Current Employee - Professional Truck Driver in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Professional Truck Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Knight Transportation (More than a year)

Pros

There is alot of work!!

Cons

The newbies need a lot of training, Inside and outside of the department. There should be a bit more constructiveness for placing employees and to find something for them to do while we wait to start working/driving.

Advice to Management

More communication.

Not for a Family Man or Professional

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Knight Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly Staff in Salt Lake City. Provides a small Paycheck for anyone with a pulse.

Cons

Expect to routinely wait half an hour or more to speak to your dispatcher on the phone. Night dispatch is worse. Breakdown call center is an hour on hold.
    "Mechanics" in Salt Lake City are just lube shop oil changers. Expect to wait days for repairs. For free or a ridiculously low breakdown pay if you keep bugging them.
    Trucks are filthy as sow pens and smell like ashtrays inside when they assign them. Anything non-DOT that is broken will rarely get fixed, such as air conditioning or anything electronic in the sleeper.
    Expect to spend hours on this job working and waiting for free. You will be on the clock for 70hrs and work 90. Your pay will average out at about $6.50/hr when you count all the hours you spend working that you don't get paid for. Even less when you count every hour you spend living inside a tin can sleeping in a WalMart parking lot or urine-smelling truck stop parking lot.
    Expect to spend many hours looking for an empty trailer all over Southern California. This they will also try to get you to do for free.
    Your dispatcher can rarely tell you the answer to any question because A. He or she has never driven a truck and B. There is rarely a policy in place for anything and if there were nobody has ever read it.
    The payroll dept will routinely "forget" breakdown pay, layover pay, and other clearly marked payroll items on your paycheck.
    Your mileage will be rounded down or calculated in some Byzantine way to make your pay as low as possible.
    No power inverters or APU's.
    Your idle time is tied into the Mystery Fuel Mileage Bonus Computer that is there to insure you do not receive a fuel bonus and also boil all summer in SoCal and Phoenix and freeze all winter in Cheyenne and Denver.

Overall, KNight talks a good game at orientation and your recruiter will promise $40,000 your first year. What they don't tell you is that you have to work 24/7/365 in order to do it.
    This is not a place for professional drivers. This is a place for desperate men and women with no bills and no responsibilities and no plans for the foreseeable future.
    The insurance costs will lower your real weekly pay to about $350-$450 your first year.
    Do you want to sleep in a smelly tin can for weeks at a time for the same hourly money as a burger flipper?

Advice to Management

Decide whether you are in the trucking business or the saving pennies business. Let everyone know your decision. Your penny-pinching and bad equipment is costing you good drivers.
    Hire truck drivers as dispatchers.
    Hire diesel mechanics at your terminals.
    Hire enough dispatchers to run complete day and night shifts. This is a 24hour job. Act like it.
    Abolish the ridiculous bonus program and pay drivers what the job is worth.
    Really inspect the trucks as they come into the terminal and fire the disgusting hoarders who are ruining your trucks.
    Do more than pay lip service to encouraging fitness and non-smoking lifestyles.
    Completely revamp the Orientation in Salt Lake. It is a joke.

not bad if you like to run a lot

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Knight Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Terminal las vegas nv is doing a good job. The people in the office know you by name and are aware and kind

Cons

the salary is very low , compared with other companies. trucks are not always in the best conditions

Advice to Management

must pay more.

10. Logistics Account Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Knight Transportation full-time

Pros

If you have any 3PL experience and are desperate for a job, they will hire you that day.

Cons

I was very optimistic about this position and being a part of Knight Transportation (which I discovered on my first day was actually Knight Logistics. Bold face lie). I was sold the idea that this wasn't a hire to fire, boiler room atmosphere. Unfortunately this place is built on lies and has absolutely zero leadership. They blatantly lie regarding the position, lie to customers about not brokering their shipments, lie to customers about how their shipments are being shipped, the training is non existent, and it isn't even clear which branch of Knight you will be working for from the get go. I asked multiple times to have the bonus structure and PTO explained and never once received a response. Complete and total incompetence and lack of experience from top to bottom. No one has any idea what they are doing or which direction the ship is headed. Probably why they were losing an average of 2-3 new hires a week for months on end.

Advice to Management

Leadership, leadership, leadership. This place has none and I mean absolutely none. The thought process here is to create "Uncertainty regarding job security" and to make employees feel "Uncomfortable with the current situation" by "Applying pressure on the office". This culture of fear is not how a team or office should be run. My advice to the people at Knight Transportation is to do a complete and total over haul of the Logistics department. Way too many Beta Submissives in "Leadership" positions who have no real life experience leading a team or office and utilize passive aggressive tactics with no clear and concise plan or vision. Stop promoting Followers. Bring on Leaders.

11. Competitive Company

Current Employee - Owner Operator in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Owner Operator in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Knight Transportation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company has what it takes for anyone to succeed if they try. Great equipment and office staff, no reason to jump from company to company, you have a secured job with Knight!

Cons

Can't think of any excuses.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

RSS Feed </> Embed