Knights of Columbus Reviews

Carl A. Anderson

1. Field Agent

Current Employee - Fieldl Agent in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Fieldl Agent in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Knights of Columbus (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great freedom. Good training. Overall, your business to build.

Cons

Need self motivated work habits to succeed.

Advice to Management

Keep advancing by leading the way.

A good place to learn the ropes of insurance

Former Employee - Field Agent in Zanesville, OH
    Former Employee - Field Agent in Zanesville, OH

I worked at Knights of Columbus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a decent place to get started. If you are single, married without children, or retired, it would be a decent part-time gig. I enjoyed working with a bunch of men who shared my faith. The KofC has some really nice, competitive products.

Cons

Training was minimal from the General Agent and when we were training together, he would simply take over rather than watching and discussing after. An agent is expected to recruit as well as sell, with council meetings, and attending Church functions in order to be seen there really is no "down time" you have to be the agent 24/7. That isn't all that bad but driving hours for someone to cancel a policy and other service work and not making a dime, it's bad situation. The draw and commission set-up is darn near like putting you into slavery. I would have stayed longer if I got my full commission at once rather than spread out over 5 years.

Advice to Management

Provide a base salary for all of the service you provide for the councils and clients. Change he commission schedule and percentage. Listen to those in the field.

3. Oppressive Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I worked at Knights of Columbus full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits package is unbeatable.

Cons

- No career growth opportunities (unless you have friends in high places)
    - Not open to change
    - Closed minded
    - All good works are ultimately publicity stunts
    - Quick to spend millions around the world, but employees paid significantly below industry averages
    - Lack of communication between departments
    - Everyone has to watch their back

Advice to Management

Investing in your employees, and the right employees, will motivate them to perform better.

5. You get paid for helping Catholic families.

Current Employee - Field Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Field Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Knights of Columbus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hard work is rewarded! Unlike other insurance companies you don't need to prospect for new clients. Also, professional level income potential.

Cons

The only con is that you have to work hard on yourself, and your business. However, these are also the positives.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. We have been around for a long time, continuing to move into more efficient means of production is welcome.

6. Greatest career for that special person

Current Employee - General Agent in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - General Agent in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Knights of Columbus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for Knights of Columbus for 42 years and can say it has been a career of a lifetime. 11 years in sales and 31 years in sales management as a General Agent. A career in financial planning and insurance sales is said to be one of the highest paying careers but is not for everyone. It takes hard work, a good work ethic and knowing how to deal with people. You need to be able to take the ups and downs of a sales career and eventually of a commission based business but for that right person, it eventually becomes more like a vocation than a career.

Cons

In the beginning it takes hard work and dedication. Must be able to handle rejection and the ups and downs of a commission based business. If a person can stick it out it becomes a career of a lifetime. It will be the hardest most underpaid job your first 3 years BUT the easiest most overpaid job from then on out!

7. Career of a Lifetime

Current Employee - Knights of Columbus in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Knights of Columbus in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Knights of Columbus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid for your efforts, incredible income potential, benefits and incentives

Cons

Come home late at night, a lot of driving

8. Learning Experience

Former Employee - Insurance Agent
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent

I worked at Knights of Columbus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Showed me the meaning of SALES

Cons

Clients were too far from where I lived (drove 3 hours daily)

Advice to Management

Review Cons

This job has allowed me to support wonderful Catholic causes as well as provide a great income for my family.

Current Employee - Field Agent in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Field Agent in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Knights of Columbus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a built in list of people to call on that are "warm" calls since you are all members of the Knights and share many similar beliefs. No more calling on family members and hoping to get referrals from there to stay in business. It has been a chance for me to run my own business with support from a General Agent and Home Office staff to help with ideas and guidance to continue to improve. There are also management opportunities for those who would like to advance. If you want to make more money, you work harder, you don't have to sit around and wait for a raise from "above." There are also great retirement benefits for tenured agents. VERY little overhead compared to other franchise type start up businesses. If you have an entrepreneurial mind this is a great fit for you.

Cons

You had better be prepared to work as there is no "set hours." This job is not for everyone as you will have to manage your own time and be willing to work hard to learn the system and get comfortable with the sales process. You will hear the word no over and over again and you have to be able to realize that it's not personal.

Great organization in the world!

Current Employee - Field Agent in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Field Agent in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Knights of Columbus full-time

Pros

Unlimited earning potential.
    Excellent training.
    Ethical company that encourages us to leave our needs outside the door and focus on the needs of our clients.

Cons

The same cons that come with any sales job, but there is more support dealing with them.

An Experience of a Lifetime! Faith, Family, Support and Success! *MBA and previous insurance experience.

Current Employee - Field Agent in Alton, IL
    Current Employee - Field Agent in Alton, IL

I have been working at Knights of Columbus

Pros

Core values stand strong. Ethical guidance with one of the best rated insurers in USA. Great opportunity for success. Top notch product line with excellent support. Leadership is world class. Very succeaful, supportive and well educated GA's in Southern IL. Flexible schedule and ability to work at your own pace.Solid and realistic commission structures with incentives. In depth and quality field and home office training programs. Health insurance, 401k, Disability and Group Life Insurance. Unlike any other company out there. It is definitely worth the time to look into this opportunity.

Cons

Too many people rush in without making a career consideration. This is not a part time job. This is a career established with the heart of a priest. It can be the best job you've ever had but make sure it's a good fit. I would recommend talking to current agents and possibly some joint field work to get a good feel. Must work to earn the income you are worth. If you aren't dedicated and unwilling to meet your members I would suggest looking elsewhere. Time management is crucial since many people like to meet in evenings. Capitalize on daytime activity to have a fully successful day.

Advice to Management

Would love to see a more utilized middle level management unit between GA and FA. Enhanced marketing programs to get our message to a broader audience.

RSS Feed </> Embed