Knoll

Be The First To
Add Photos

Knoll CEO and Director Andrew B. Cogan

Andrew B. Cogan

excellent product, passionate people.

I have been working at Knoll full-time for more than 5 years

Prosstrong brand and product; passionate, driven people; lean (access to leadership) and entrepreneurial (you can make your own success and find/create new opportunity), but you have to take initiative

Conslean (you have to be creative to find resources) and entrepreneurial (little help in way-finding if you don't have a great manager as an advocate and a mentor); senior leadership can seem out-of-touch with realities in the factory and field

Advice to Senior Managementprovide better training to managers and new associates; improve internal communication (including seeking input/feedback from employees)

No Leadership

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Knoll full-time

ProsThe aggressive commission structure is quite attractive.

ConsDealer Principals think they manage Knoll employees and management won't get involved and stand up for their people. Sales people are constantly fighting over commission credit to the detriment of the customer, and management shrugs this off.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe an employee advocate. Reward and recognize sales growth, not just sales dollars. Why are people winning awards for sales at Knoll when their sales declined YOY?

company is going in negative direction for last ten years

Laborer (Current Employee)
East Greenville, PA

I have been working at Knoll full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMost of the people that still work there are good people.

ConsAndrew Cogan, Lynn Utter, and the rest of the upper management team who are only interested in how much money they can pull out of this company before it's time comes to an end.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease leave and let a group in there that will care about the company and the people that will help it be the good company it once was.

Driving Loyal Employees Out

Corporate (Former Employee)

I worked at Knoll full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat products, some dedicated/nice employees to work with, design history. Decent compensation structure for sales and corporate employees...but that seems to be changing to the negative with raises few and far between...top executives benefit the most.

ConsCorporate offices are dated...sales offices quite nice though. VERY political...hard workers are not always recognized or given the opportunity to reach their full potential due to the flat organization structure and work load that bogs down great employees in every department as well as sales. The bottom line is key even if it is detrimental to employee moral, product quality, etc. Knoll does NOT care about employee well being and don't seem to care if you leave after 6 months or 25 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on your employees...they will give you their all for something as little and simple as recognition. Reward those that provide results...

Work at Knoll

Allentown, PA

I have been working at Knoll full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMost departments are not micro-managed, so you do not have someone checking on you constantly. Most of the working people are proud and really care about getting the job done and done right.

ConsKnoll will hire people without much proven experience or the necessary credentials. The management does not support engineering. Instead they depend on brand image, company history and poor marketing ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around at the others that are making a difference in and for the company, instead of keeping within your 'clique' and act more like the professional billion dollar company that outsiders think you are.

what is up with Knoll hiring only ditzy blonde 25 year olds with no experience?

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Knoll full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat design, nice showrooms, tentured Knoll people are fantastic, not sure what is going on with the new 25 year old hiring trend.

ConsBrand is resting on it's laurels. they all act fairly above the others in the industry. Pay is low compared to other manufacturers and benefits are not very good at all.

Surprisingly Disappointing.

Houston, TX

I have been working at Knoll full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDesign heritage, research and innovation. Great customers and dealers.

ConsYears of severe lack of interpersonal skills in over 90% of staff. Chronic lack of communication within local office.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain management as positive , effective leaders. Train sales and admin staff on interpersonal skills.

Great products, but can be very political.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Knoll

ProsFantastic products and brand history.

ConsCompany politics, lack of advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and reward employees that perform well.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Lack of tools and support to be accurate and successful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
East Greenville, PA

I worked at Knoll full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople who work on factory floor have hearts of gold
They are refocusing on being design driven
When bonuses are good they are very good
Plant staff are very capable
All employee bonus below manager, but....with it was more differentiated for salaried to offer real incentive
Some very smart people in leadership left over from Westinghouse days

ConsLack of investment in systems and training - Big issue
Reliance on manual processes - big issue
Internal audit runs the show due to manual processes
Salary freezes and cuts to staff when cycles are down without regard to workload and impact on quality of work product
Bonuses and promotions to high flyers in the face of pay freezes for everyone else
Don't really know who they are in relation to employee value proposition
They aren't honest with candidates about serious challenges facing them in new positions
They do ERP annually but merit increases for salaried on a two year cycle
CEO doesn't care at all about employees
Lack of career path or opportunity to move up since they all have 20 years plus of service

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people other than salary - reasonable health care premiums, bonuses lower down into the organization
Listen to your employees more and use a robust employee survey process to drive change
Don't mislead candidates about the challenges...don't sugarcoat it.
When you tell someone you can hire the people you need once you assess a function, don't renege
Don't be tone deaf to the optics of paying large bonuses to leadership when salaried below manager and hourly are on an extended pay freeze

Great product, ok company

New York, NY

I have been working at Knoll full-time for more than 3 years

ProsProduct is solid, quality and company has a good name.

ConsManagement can be inexperienced and / or overwhelmed. Due to the commission based compensation for the sale representatives, there is no sense of team.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees.

Worked for Knoll? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Knoll reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Knoll CEO Andrew B. Cogan. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Knoll employees.