Knology

Knology Reviews

Updated Jan 18, 2014

Knology President, CEO, and Director Rodger L. Johnson

Rodger L. Johnson

Find another place to work

CST (Former Employee)
Huntsville, AL

I worked at Knology full-time for more than a year

ProsCustomers are great and coworkers try to help each other out.Once out of the office your day gets better

ConsGood ole Boy System unless your buddy buddy with the Supes or manager you will be the last to get new equipment

Advice to Senior Managementyou cant always be negative there is a thing called positive reinforcement

Avoid this company!!!

Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Knology

ProsDiscount on Cable services. Nice uniforms.

ConsHorrible pay. Laughable pay raises. Near impossible QC standards. Very expensive Ins. Very low emp moral. No chance for advancement. Vehicles are run down and falling apart.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to witness first hand the affects their policy changes have on their employees in the field. Make policy changes that directly affect an employee's earning potential known before these policies are implemented. Take problems and concerns more seriously. Treat employees as a person, not a number. We have families to support.

Run...Away...Very fast

Tech Support Representative (Current Employee)
Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Knology

ProsAnyone can get hired there and unlimited overtime, management is always on site. Break rooms have ample seating and tv/internet available.

ConsThe pay at Knology is horrible. I could make the same or better flipping burgers. Career advancement is a joke there is nowhere to advance. The more work you do, and the more responsibilities you take on the less likely you are to get a decent raise or shot at a promotion. Front line management/supervisors only do what they absolutely have to in order to not get fired and make it through the day. mid level and upper management are mostly disconnected from what actually goes on and show no wish to change that. I have been with this company going on 4 years and I have gotten a TOTAL of $0.40 in raises since day one, and that is as a "top performer". If a customer asks to speak to a supervisor you will ALWAYS get push-back no matter who it is.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart practicing what you preach in your values both INSIDE and OUTSIDE the building. Pay people what they are worth instead of what looks good on the bottom line and maybe you will make it up on not having to train loads of replacements.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Backstabbing< Lazy.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Knology

ProsHire alot and avg size company, promote uneducated, work lack luster, alot of different deparments alll under one roof. Good park easy access

Conspoor managment, poor pay, not room for growth, bad attendance policy and poor location and work hours and scheduled change without notice and delayed breaks and lunchs

Advice to Senior Managementstop micro managing, hire educated people to do advanced jobs, more restrooms better parking and stop rushing techs that are helping your customers

If you have any professional pride, don't even apply

Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Knology

Prosadequate insurance package, adequate work environment when the heating or air conditioning is actually working which is not guaranteed on any given day. Discount on service if you happen to live in one of the scattered service areas and don't mind the service interruptions.

ConsIncompetent management who are unresponsive and often abusive
Non existent training, employees are expected to figure out issues and new procedures from one or two page handouts passed around with no feedback or hands on instruction.
A Grading and promotion system geared toward rewarding those who do the least work .
No reasonable system for granting time off, schedules are deliberately set up to prevent employees from having two consecutive days off and getting a Holiday off is impossible., entire months of the year are blocked out as no vacation times for regular employees.
Substandard service provided by the Company results in extensive overwork for barely adequate compensation, many employees have to work 10 to 20 hours overtime to make a decent living with this company in an area where prices are generally low.
No understanding by management of the need for personal or sick time, if you have to take a medical leave you will eventually be terminated for one reason or another when you return.Sick days are held against employees even with a valid doctors excuse.

I worked for this company for 3+ years and its is the only place I have ever worked that I would never under any circumstances return too.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement at this company is out of touch and it would help the company if that were to change
Hiring Managers who have some clue as to what their job is and how to effectively motivate and manage people should be common sense for any business that expects to survive.

Knology is a paycheck not a career

Technical Support Represntative (Current Employee)
Martinez, GA

I have been working at Knology

ProsOne of the best things about Knology is the discount on services, though they are inferior to the same services in the area provided by other communication companies.

ConsThere are no rotating holidays despite what management promises. There is little promotion from within the company, they prefer to hire for management and leadership outside the company. The pay is comparatively low when scaled against the same positions with other companies. Holidays are almost impossible to schedule off. The grading of performance and determining of raises in not well thought out

Advice to Senior ManagementStart hiring from within. Morale takes a hit every time a position is filled by an outside person with no knowledge of company guidelines, needs, or policy. Some departments are completely overworked and required to an unbalanced load, yet they are not compensated properly and must seek overtime in order to make ends meet. Clue scores per department need to weigh on a different scale when considering positions moves. It is very easy to obtain high scores in some departments and as a result those departments always seem to grab promotions. Finally, pay is not in line for the city this company is located. A worker should not have to work 6+ days a week in order to survive in Augusta, GA

Not a place I would recommend to anyone

Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee)
Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Knology

ProsDiscount on Services if you live within a serviceable area. Decent insurance company. Occasional incentives for beating expectations

ConsPoor shift choices. Some upper management did not know how to run their positions. Impossible to get anytime off. Non qualified management (didn't meet requirements for even applying for the job). Constantly changing policies. Employer discriminates against employees, and management typically disrespected employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to hire individuals that know about what job they are intending to perform

Decent benefits but insignificant pay and raises. Your wrist will be ready to fall off from constant typing.

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
Augusta, GA

I worked at Knology full-time for less than a year

ProsIf you can read a script, you have found your home. Not a challenging job.

ConsPay is too low compared to competitor's pay scale. Benefits are not inexpensive. Moving up the ladder is very difficult. Everyone is more concerned about numbers than about people. Expect to have your lunch at 10:30 am. if you are a new employee. Not enough new computers for all the employees. People leave the company constantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy employees are more productive and loyal employees.

Great at first then rapidly downhill

Tech Support (Current Employee)

I have been working at Knology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStarted out a nice place to work -- friendly, good pay, fun.

ConsRaises averaged less than 2%, only lip-service to listening to employee input.

Poor management and loyalty to employees.

Operations Department (Former Employee)
West Point, GA

I worked at Knology

ProsFlexible when it comes to family most of the time. Good people to work with in most departments. Small discount on service.

ConsLong hours, poor management, no loyalty, no praise, low pay. Minimum senior support. Segregated groups that backstab or do anything to get ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementRehire management or grow a pair. If you can't take care of your employee's you'll have hire temp people to replace well experience who would be faithful. Oh wait you're already doing that. Temp seems to be cheaper in the mind of some people.

Worked for Knology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Knology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Knology CEO Rodger L. Johnson. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Knology employees.