Knowland Group Reviews

3.3
Tim Hart

1. Industry expertise and a new, seasoned leadership team

I have been working at Knowland Group full-time

Pros

Great location, fun employees and awesome benefits. Fairly well positioned for growth based on it's unique data assets and a new product development strategy.

Cons

The company is going through a major shift under the new CEO. Great opportunity for those who are up for the challenge.

2. Stay away!

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Washington, DC

I worked at Knowland Group (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro was meeting a couple friends

Cons

Horrendous and distrusting management. Crazy and unpredictable opinions and views.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and don't spy on them!

Knowland Group Response

Jun 12, 2015HR Director

I’m so sorry you feel you had such a negative experience working at KG. Our CEO, Tim Hart, and I were not here at the time you worked here (in fact, we haven’t had a Graphic Designer role in DC in ... More

3. Fun, intelligent, good crew of people; awesome CEO; big time of transition for the company

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Knowland Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bright, approachable coworkers who make the day fun and are not afraid to collaborate; new CEO is fantastic

Cons

Serious time of transition has translated to a serious increase in work load for those who are willing to dive in... devotion and strong work ethic a must

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. In showing a renewed commitment to both client and employee, the new CEO, executives, and new and remaining department heads have rerouted the company towards a bright future after previous management lost sight of what was important.

5. Neutral

I have been working at Knowland Group

Pros

Washington, DC location is superb. It is located in the heart of Chinatown, right across from the metro. The company is willing to hire candidates right out of college as long as the have the right tenacity. The salaries for sales personnel seems generous.

Cons

Office space is a bit awkward. Like every start-up there are growing pains. Recently, the company went through a change in management and have edited product offering. The branding needs refreshing!

Advice to Management

Branding needs refreshing

6. Those complaining were not capable of real work

Current Employee - Account Management in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Management in Washington, DC

I have been working at Knowland Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Knowland Group has had its problems just like any other company. Many of the negative reviews written here are from disgruntled employees that were let go-and those were not rash decisions. The atmosphere here is great, loaded with young 20-something's with ambition located both in DC, MD, and DE. There is a great combination of old and new employees and everyone is willing to lend a helping hand. There have been many changes with Knowland over the years and all of them for the better. We now have a new CEO alongside a new mgmt team that are all fantastic. Everyone at the company is open to different ideas and it's so great being a part of that change and watching where the company is headed. If you are willing to work hard and enjoy the thought of having a say in what goes on, this is a great place for you. Most of the ex-employees here were toxic to the environment. Many were not open to change and consistently complaining, but why would you want to work for a company that doesn't embrace change? We are finally headed in the right direction and if you work hard, it will pay off. Chaos comes with any start-up company and we learn through trial and error. The real question is are you up for the challenge. The thought of sitting at a desk with the same old boring routine does not entice me and that is exactly why I love working at Knowland.

Cons

As previously mentioned, chaos comes alongside any start-up company. I happen to strive off of chaos and love finding a solution to problems that arise. If you are hard working, imaginative, and determined this will be no feat for you. Now that we have rid of our old CEO, possibilities are endless.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! We hit a slump with previous poor mgmt but it's an uphill battle from here.

7. No company is perfect and this one is no exception

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Knowland Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co workers, good technology, and definitely the best technology of its type in the insular hospitality community. Company does always try to stay ahead of the competition and is more willing than ever to listen to constructive criticism from employees and clients. If you work really hard you will be rewarded and recognized both financially and by the acting CEO, who is very smart and willing to change and seems very willing to help the sales organization. The new VP of Sales is also very focused on sales and less on politics and winning fans and really tries to help his team.

Cons

Although it is improving, the executive leadership has been truly awful. With the exception of the new VP of Sales and the interim CEO, most of the executive team is unnecessary and continues to put a strain on the company with their hefty salaries. The former CEO employed a team that only told him what he wanted to hear. They were more like puppets on a string than effective leaders. Goals were always unclear and still tend to be at times. They offer little to no leadership, meaning they don't try to invest in their people, instead they only invest in themselves and often impede employee success. They also didn't (and some still don't) try to understand the nature of the business enough to make effective decisions and can be cut throat, even to their own direct reports. You still very much have some "look at me" leaders involved who step in front of their own people and take credit for their work.

Advice to Management

Get rid of some of the toxic executives you have in place. I encourage you to take a deep dive into what they are doing, and not just listening to all of the sunshine and fluff they tell you. Get the details. Talk to the people that report to them and when they tell you about all of the success they are having, note the people they continue rely on and are always involved in their success. You will find that they are not even a blip on the radar in most cases and are really a drain on your resources. The company doesn't need to be so top heavy, and I think the company is realizing that now with the recent departure of most executives. In the real world, truly successful and motivated employees often don't talk - they stick their nose in their desk and act. Look at the measurable results and make decisions based on that.

8. Happy current employee

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Knowland Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

We are a small but strong company with great talent. Some relatively new staff and new management. We have hit a few minor bumps in the road but definitely on the road to success. I am looking forward to the coming year with a renewed positive forward motion.

Cons

Upper management has not always listened to staff although that seems to be a thing of the past.

Advice to Management

Encourage unity across departments.

9. Horrific

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Knowland Group full-time

Pros

Very few. Good DC office location in Chinatown and some great co-workers. The former CEO is finally gone.

Cons

The company has been a nightmare to work for, mostly because of the lack of business knowledge and moodiness of the former CEO and founder. He treated employees and customers with contempt and as disposable things. Things may get better when a new CEO is hired, but a lot of damage has been done and a lot of talent has fled the company.

Advice to Management

Sell the company. It is too damaged to continue as is.

10. The people really make the company

I worked at Knowland Group

Pros

The employees are awesome. It's fun to come into work everyday and work with such a creative, dedicated group of young business professionals. Culture is infused with a lot of young 20-somethings. Had a tech company feel.

Cons

Disorganized and chaotic, constantly changing environment, which can be a good or bad thing.

Do yourself a favor, STAY AWAY!!!

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Knowland Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NONE. The only redeeming quality about this company were the people I worked with. We all bonded over our misery.

Cons

I laughed when I read one of the other reviews that said "The culture is extremely friendly and there is always a "buzz" in the office." This is 100% someone on the executive/management team. The only "buzz" that existed was when all of us would gather around and complain about the lack of structure, direction, and empathy from management. This company is going absolutely nowhere, evidenced by the fact that 14 people were let go last week. The cowardly Chief Sales Officer locked himself in a 'meeting' while everyone cleaned out their desk. Fortunately, I was not one of the people let go. This company is on a F.A.S.T. track to bankruptcy. If you value your career, don't even consider working here. You've been warned.

Advice to Management

F.A.S.T., BFCs, "Moving week"....the list of useless acronyms and sayings go on and on. PLEASE stop talking to employees like they are corporate drones. Learn to listen to employees and take their input seriously. Stop being so conniving or employees will never work to improve the company. If your current practices continue, employee productivity will never reach full potential.

RSS Feed </> Embed