Knowledge Consulting Group

Respectable body shop

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Knowledge Consulting Group

Pros

The salary and benefits are competitive for this line of work. KCG will sponsor you for a security clearance if the job calls for it.

Cons

Although they call themselves a "consulting group" this is a relatively lean organization with minimal overhead. Don't count on any beach time -- they'd rather spend the money on competitive salaries.

Try to provide more collaboration tools between consultants. A message board, wiki, or email list would help with this. Also, consider investing in a more robust intranet.

Good company, didn't like the location

I worked at Knowledge Consulting Group

Pros

Good company, good pay, good HR.

Cons

Virginia/DC Area, location was not what I liked.

Started out great....

I have been working at Knowledge Consulting Group

Pros

When I joined KCG the team was excellent from senior management, client supervisors and more. They payed for training that was a big benefit to my career.

Cons

Things seemed to go down hill after a year. Certain key personnel left the company such as an excellent senior manager and two client supervisors.

Support your technical people more. That seem to have went down hill after a few key people left the company. Don't want this company to become a high turn over company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Generally good

Former Employee - Information Systems Security Officer  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Information Systems Security Officer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Knowledge Consulting Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generally good. For people on client sites, management is a somewhat loose, but supportive whenever issues occur. Professional training is well supported.

Cons

Working on client sites it was sometimes difficult to know how best to support the business goals of the company.

Think long term.

You will treated like a work horse. They also have a nice revolving door (people leave after a short amount of time).

Former Employee - Penetration Tester  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Penetration Tester in Reston, VA

I worked at Knowledge Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very technical. Collaborate training. Very competitive pay. You will work with some very knowledgeable people. If you like to travel, they will send you places.

Cons

Set people up to fail(They will not give you details on your project til the last minute). Will use your clearance to accomplish boring contracts. They do not really help you out when your in a jam on site. They do not train you on anything, expect you to lead without a company vision. Claiming travel related expenses are a hassle. They once made me walk 2 miles every day to a client site in order to save on a taxi. They do not invest in their people. They will encourage you to do presentations (articles, presentations) so they can have free advertisement from it. You will work on two projects at once all the time. The people that have been there a long time are bitter. The peer review process is a joke and not one like doing it.

Schedule some down time in. Start listening to employee suggestions. Treat people with respect instead of like cattle. Schedule time to actually review someone else work before sending to the client.

Great Learning Experience

Former Employee - Security Architect  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Security Architect in Arlington, VA

I worked at Knowledge Consulting Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Learned alot; worked with VERY knowledgeable folks. I had a much opportunity to learn the ins and outs of IT Security Governance

Cons

not to any fault of KCG, but the working conditions (office space) was very tight as we worked in an Government agency.

More training opportunities, try to negotiate better working conditions

The was good for those that came in when I was hired at a senior level.

Former Employee - ISSO  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - ISSO in Washington, DC

I worked at Knowledge Consulting Group as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

You can work on site.

Cons

If placed in a good environment or contract you will fair well. If not it becomes a struggle. They are profit driven and do not listen to their employees.

They need to be more diversified and listen to their employees. They tend to loose employees a lot.

A good place to work

Current Employee - Network Security Engineer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Network Security Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Knowledge Consulting Group

Pros

KCG is a small company and treats it employees with respect. Most of the managers are competent and provide for a good work life balance. My work environment has been great and I really enjoy the people I work with. KCG is also pretty good about providing technical training and reimburses for certification testing costs. Career growth is available if you are interested in a management track.

Cons

Career opportunities are limited because of the limited scope of contracts that KCG pursues. These are primarily security contracts involving C&A work for government clients. The bonus policy is convoluted at best. A technical expert career path is not currently available from KCG.

Try to expand the variety of contracts you pursue. Implement a technical expert career track.

Great place to work for IT Security professionals

I have been working at Knowledge Consulting Group

Pros

The vast majority of Knowledge Consulting Group's focus in on IT Security services to government agencies. If that is what you do, this company is a great place to work. They have had a lot of growth with new contracts in 2009 so there seems to be more opportunity to advance and grow into other contracts or areas within IT security. Because KCG is so niche within the IT Security field, it allows the employees to information share and work with each other. KCG is a small company so you are not “just a number” like you see with a lot of the larger companies. The company’s benefits are very competitive to others as well.

Cons

If you are not an IT Security professional, you might find the “niche” of the company limiting to your career growth or advancement.

Although communication is fairly good, it could be improved. The only advice I would give to management is to broaden communication.

Worked for Knowledge Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!