Knowledge Consulting Group

Add Photos

Dusty Wince

Respectable body shop

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThe salary and benefits are competitive for this line of work. KCG will sponsor you for a security clearance if the job calls for it.

ConsAlthough they call themselves a "consulting group" this is a relatively lean organization with minimal overhead. Don't count on any beach time -- they'd rather spend the money on competitive salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to provide more collaboration tools between consultants. A message board, wiki, or email list would help with this. Also, consider investing in a more robust intranet.

Started out great....

ProsWhen I joined KCG the team was excellent from senior management, client supervisors and more. They payed for training that was a big benefit to my career.

ConsThings seemed to go down hill after a year. Certain key personnel left the company such as an excellent senior manager and two client supervisors.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your technical people more. That seem to have went down hill after a few key people left the company. Don't want this company to become a high turn over company.

Generally good

Information Systems Security Officer (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGenerally good. For people on client sites, management is a somewhat loose, but supportive whenever issues occur. Professional training is well supported.

ConsWorking on client sites it was sometimes difficult to know how best to support the business goals of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink long term.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You will treated like a work horse. They also have a nice revolving door (people leave after a short amount of time).

Penetration Tester (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsVery technical. Collaborate training. Very competitive pay. You will work with some very knowledgeable people. If you like to travel, they will send you places.

ConsSet people up to fail(They will not give you details on your project til the last minute). Will use your clearance to accomplish boring contracts. They do not really help you out when your in a jam on site. They do not train you on anything, expect you to lead without a company vision. Claiming travel related expenses are a hassle. They once made me walk 2 miles every day to a client site in order to save on a taxi. They do not invest in their people. They will encourage you to do presentations (articles, presentations) so they can have free advertisement from it. You will work on two projects at once all the time. The people that have been there a long time are bitter. The peer review process is a joke and not one like doing it.

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule some down time in. Start listening to employee suggestions. Treat people with respect instead of like cattle. Schedule time to actually review someone else work before sending to the client.

Great Learning Experience

Security Architect (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsLearned alot; worked with VERY knowledgeable folks. I had a much opportunity to learn the ins and outs of IT Security Governance

Consnot to any fault of KCG, but the working conditions (office space) was very tight as we worked in an Government agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training opportunities, try to negotiate better working conditions

The was good for those that came in when I was hired at a senior level.

ISSO (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsYou can work on site.

ConsIf placed in a good environment or contract you will fair well. If not it becomes a struggle. They are profit driven and do not listen to their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to be more diversified and listen to their employees. They tend to loose employees a lot.

A good place to work

Network Security Engineer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsKCG is a small company and treats it employees with respect. Most of the managers are competent and provide for a good work life balance. My work environment has been great and I really enjoy the people I work with. KCG is also pretty good about providing technical training and reimburses for certification testing costs. Career growth is available if you are interested in a management track.

ConsCareer opportunities are limited because of the limited scope of contracts that KCG pursues. These are primarily security contracts involving C&A work for government clients. The bonus policy is convoluted at best. A technical expert career path is not currently available from KCG.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to expand the variety of contracts you pursue. Implement a technical expert career track.

Great place to work for IT Security professionals

ProsThe vast majority of Knowledge Consulting Group's focus in on IT Security services to government agencies. If that is what you do, this company is a great place to work. They have had a lot of growth with new contracts in 2009 so there seems to be more opportunity to advance and grow into other contracts or areas within IT security. Because KCG is so niche within the IT Security field, it allows the employees to information share and work with each other. KCG is a small company so you are not “just a number” like you see with a lot of the larger companies. The company’s benefits are very competitive to others as well.

ConsIf you are not an IT Security professional, you might find the “niche” of the company limiting to your career growth or advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough communication is fairly good, it could be improved. The only advice I would give to management is to broaden communication.

Worked for Knowledge Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!