Knowledge Universe

Updated October 3, 2014
Updated October 3, 2014
2.2

Tom Wyatt

Pros
  • Great child care discount, passionate co-workers, renewed focus on customer experience and employee engagement (in 7 reviews)

• Better than average work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises for three years running (in 6 reviews)

• The company has seen significant leadership changes over the last 5 years (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Going through Change

Former Employee - Program Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Knowledge Universe full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is a great deal of flexibility in your schedule. If you love working with children and families you will have an opportunity from time to time.

Cons

This organization is going through a huge turn around and things are very ambiguous. There is no real clear path to success anymore. I worked for them for a long time and have seen many changes but what they are going through now is hard to stomach.

Be careful

Unstable

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Littleton, CO

I worked at Knowledge Universe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When I first started it was a great working environment. I loved the people I worked with. It was fun. We felt like we were making a difference in the lives of children

Cons

Leadership changes the direction every 6 months. They continually change the mission and charter statements. How can you see if the direction they've chosen will make a difference if they change it 6 months later?
    They lay off, they hire, they lay off again.
    My last manager went into my time card and deleted my overtime because I was over 40 hours. Very illegal! But all she cared about was budget. There were other ways it could have been handled like reducing my vacation time. You can't just remove time I've worked! So, also unethical.
    And how many thousands of dollars did they spend on that employee engagement survey? They told us we'd have a say and be able to voice our opinions. They built it up so much, for so many months. When we finally took it, it was a joke! There were no places to voice our opinions or have our say. Who cares if we have a best friend at work? I will never have a "best friend" at work. Does "someone" at work care about you? Sure, I'm sure that someone in these 80 people care about me! What a waste of time and money! I'm sure result have improved as you've laid off so many people!

Pick a direction and stick to it. Give it time to work before changing too many different things.

There are better places to work at.

I worked at Knowledge Universe

Pros

Flexibility and opportunities to learn.

Cons

Compensation and incompetent lower management. Very political.

So much change

I have been working at Knowledge Universe full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Love the environments, staff,families I work with.

Cons

So much change in upper managements, and no perks for getting more education.

Please allow people to get a raise when they finish their degrees.

History Tends to Repeat Itself

Former Employee - NSC Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - NSC Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Knowledge Universe full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

•A lot of people stay for the child care discount.
    •The overall mission of educating children is a wonderful thing to get behind.
    •Some former colleagues are empathetic and are hopeful things will improve.

Cons

•Upper and middle management are primarily concerned with getting ahead, not about employee development.
    •Entry-level and junior employees are overworked, under paid, mistreated, and undervalued.
    •Lack of accountability, lots of laziness, siloed departments, bullying, cliques, and double-crossing.

History has a propensity to repeat itself. Therefore, the execs and board need to get in the trenches. The company will never ever grow, be financially successful or have positive brand recognition by continuing on its current path. They (HR and others departments included) need act and listen, less they force good families (both subsidy and private pay), teachers, CD's, & NSC employees out.

Sad-money orientated- not employee orientated-no significant employee appreciation.

Former Employee - Site Teacher in Fort Meade, MD
    Former Employee - Site Teacher in Fort Meade, MD

I worked at Knowledge Universe full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The children are absolutely the best reason- each day - they bring sunshine to life.
    Trainings - SOME are good - competent instructors, interesting and relevant subject material. First aid, CPR & defibrillator trainings are blessings. About half of our trainings are worth attending.

Cons

Leadership - workplace level - director tells us one thing - asst director tells us something different - they do not communicate with one another. They threaten and promise repercussions for people who disregard rules but never follow through. They allow themselves to do things in the building but do not allow staff the same. They expect staff to make verbal corrections on other staff. They work from home in order not to be bothered by issues with staff or children. They focus on the little things (color of font on a paper) rather than quality of care for the children.
    Corporate leadership - make staff feel like their concerns are unjustified - do not keep up with staffing certificates and awards for years of
    service- will not make MUCH needed repairs to building. Pay scale - not a true pay scale - person walks in the building with NO experience - doesn't even know how to change a diaper - doesn't know how to talk to a child on the child's level - can't write legibly BUT still starts out making more money than a veteran teacher . WHY? Because this new person has a degree in something - doesn't even have to be a degree in anything childcare or education related but still makes more than the veteran teacher who has no degree but does have a CDA, years of training and experience. And the biggest slap in the face to the veteran is that the veteran teachers are expected to guide, mentor, train and correct the new teacher.
    Personal growth - staff are pushed to get degrees, CDA, credentialing, keep up with all trainings, do modules - but there is no real award - money talks! Staff have gone from being teachers, asst teachers, etc to being in charge of KLA (which we know makes good money for KUE) but these staff do not receive a pay increase with their "promotion."
    Teachers in the rooms are expected to do daily reports for each child, keep up with a CSR count every 30 minutes, do child portfolios, do documentation panels, opening and closing checklists, monthly supply order forms, make sure childrens forms are up-to-date, keep an up- to-date emergency bag, get room laundry done, keep the rooms clean, do lesson plans, do WHAT YOUR CHILD DISCOVERED forms, plan for conferences, get supplies prepared for next days activities, get photos printed for documentation panels, type up descriptions for documentation panels, keep cot charts up to date, put needed repairs in maintenance book, refill room supply of gloves and tissue, plan outdoor activities - and much of this is expected to be done during nap time . Nap time does not always run smooth - children have individual needs. There is never enough time to get everything done in the best possible manner. A room with babies or toddlers- teachers can't ever break ratio to get out of the room to do laundry, print photos, get supplies, etc. Teachers in infant and Todd rooms have to almost beg for bathroom breaks.
    Buildings need repairs - corporate won't spend the money to do the repairs properly - so things are just rigged to halfway work for a little bit longer.

Get real - stick up for your center and your staff. Recognize and reward veteran staff properly. Stop the "DO AS I SAY NOT DO AS I DO" attitude. Don't hire new employees without them doing at least three different working interviews in 3 different rooms and get the opinion of each teacher in each room about those working interviews. If a teacher comes for an interview and says she (or he) really prefers to work with 3 & 4 year olds- don't hire that teacher and stick them in an infant or Todd room. Remember that RESPECT GOES BOTH WAYS - IF YOU DONT RESPECT YOUR STAFF - DONT EXPECT THEM TO RESPECT YOU!" Don't send out memos saying that "the front management deserves to be treated with respect". Realize that your position does not mean that you are always right or that you are automatically entitled to respect.

Within corporate accounting there is a clique group and constant change at the executive level

I worked at Knowledge Universe

Pros

I worked with a few down to earth honest people at KU. My time there started off great but quickly turned.

Cons

As my title states, there is a core clique group within corporate accounting. There are individuals who get promoted who simply should not. Very unprofessional behavior that goes on. If you want to work with true professionals in the accounting field, you don't want to work here.

There is constant change at the executive level. Very unstable.

Don't just give a promotion to someone without looking at who they really are. Yes, there are some smart individuals who know their skill well, but their personality and behavior is unquestionably rotten and worthy of being fired.

Lots of flash at the top, but no real movement downstream

I have been working at Knowledge Universe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Schedules are decent. No nights, no weekends

Cons

Lots of noise in the workplace. Lots of talk but little real action. Lower than normal wages from Regional Level down when compared to other industries.

Less talk and more walk. There's not been any real improvement made in the quality of life for the majority of front-line employees. Let's face it, the ability to wear jeans to work isn't exactly going to make KU the employer of choice.

Lack of Support

Current Employee - Site Teacher in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Site Teacher in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Knowledge Universe full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Staff are friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

Lack of support from management. Not enough traing for the job you are to accomplish with the kids. Also turn over is high, Never know when people are coming or going from the company.

Please be more aware of the staff needs instead of the dollar.

Run by idiots.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Knowledge Universe

Pros

Most teachers are fantastic but it's pretty clear the ones that are just warm bodies. Some directors are great but they come and go so quickly.

Cons

This field has a high turn over rate anyway but Knowledge Universe is really bad. It seems pretty obvious there is too much pressure and not enough salary. Their trainings for new hires are a joke and most staff/CD's can't even complete them due to lack of staff.

Pull your heads out of your butts. Pay people and maybe families won't leave. Parents don't keep their kids enrolled in these centers because of you, it's the teachers and staff. And those people are sick of your BS. You're going to have a strike on your hands if you don't change your glutinous ways.