Knowledge Universe

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tom Wyatt

Pros:
  • "Child care discount, flex schedule"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Better than average work/life balance"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "No raises for three years running"
    in 6 reviews
  • "benefits, time off, pay, work/life balance, employee appreciation"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Challenges Now, and More Ahead

Portland, OR

ProsIn general, a relaxed and friendly place to work. Many of the people who work for this company believe strongly in the principles of serving children. I believe that the current CEO is doing the best job he is able to, and is successfully seeing the company out of several years of troubling finances.

ConsCompany-wide low morale. Non-competitive wages and salaries with little opportunity for advancement or training. Several years of poor financial performance, turn around and general inner-trouble have forced the company to severely tighten its belt, often leading it to cut back in important departments.

The worst Experience ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou can make a difference to a childs life

ConsLeadership. You have no voice. Manage through fear

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your people vs talking at them!

Management

ProsBetter than average work/life balance. Workday goes by quickly. Okay benefits.

ConsTrying to take a retail approach to child care... Need I say more.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are losing a lot of great talent... Stop and ask your selves WHY and read some of the reviews from your employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice ideals, poor execution

Human Resources Business Partner (Current Employee)

ProsKnowing that I am doing my part to positively impact children.

ConsRevolving door for senior HR leadership makes this a difficult environment.

Teacher (PreK, School Age, Preschool)

Portland, OR

ProsLoved the employees, families and center director, which made working for KinderCare tolerable.

ConsI was actually excited to work with the company and to soon teach and interact with kids. However I quickly realized how revenue obsessed this company is. I get it, you have to make money to survive. However, the financial boundary we had to work with was borderline insane. How can you give kids quality interaction when labor hours were literally enforced down to the bone?

But as soon as our center had amazing teachers, the parents noticed this and kept their children enrolled (hey that's great). At the same time, our classroom received more new children and we were actually maxed out in every room. Teachers were stressed out, burnt out and it turned into daycare rather a school atmosphere. I feel terrible for the incredible teachers that will soon be leaving because they cannot deal with the lack of support, labor hours and funds from the corporate office.

Bottom line, NO EDUCATION company teaching young children should be for-profit, which KU is. And if you do a good job and your classroom stays filled, you aren't rewarded, of course besides the positive interactions with kids. Period. It truly is the fast food of education. Teachers, get jobs at independent or privately owned schools. Parents, NEVER enroll your children in a crowded classroom when you tour.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome visit centers and actually have a good attitude about it. Every person who does is in a bad mood and doesn't even say hello.

Great company and through the many changes they continue to do well.

Columbia, MD

ProsKU is a fun place to work and has good benefits. The child care discount cant be beat for working moms with young children. the curriculum allows some flexibility if you are good at planning and time management.

ConsSometimes have to work with inexperienced young staff that are there for a paycheck only. Your hours can vary and sometimes you don't get 40 a week

Advice to Senior ManagementWe should have better trainings that challenge us to learn new things. The trainings are the same every year and very boring.

They have a great mission but it is exhausting to work under multiple changes in leadership.

(Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsSome managers allow you to participate in volunteer activities including March to Beach Elementary School, School House Supplies and SMART reading. They also have a great employee discount at their centers.

ConsWith multiple reductions in force, in addition to multiple changes in leadership, the teams at the National Support Center continue to become smaller so employees are stretched being asked to do more with less. The environment can also be very stressful as you never know when employees are going disappear in a reduction in force.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop relying on a "just in time culture" at the National Support Center.

Stressful Environment, no support

Norwell, MA

ProsThe children enrolled are wonderful.

ConsThe working environment is stressful, especially when you are left with 20 children to watch over alone. The director and assistant directors don't support you. Preschool children are constantly moved to PreK because they want to save a salary and they are moved up at age 3.2 to make room for other Pre-Schoolers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop watching the bottom line and consider the children's education, as promised.

Daycare Leader Issues

Mundelein, IL

ProsWhen you find the right center, the co-workers make for a great team including communication, flexibility, and friendship. Plus, if you love working with young children this is the right place

ConsManagement has poor communication skills. Upper management uses bad business ethics to solve problems. Promises for employees to move up to management, but have no guidance, not desire, to help make that happen. No proper training can get the teachers in bigger trouble than it's worth.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry making sure your directors and area directors aren't "friends" because they have a hard time facing facts to fix situations that improve business. I've noticed an area director attempting to hide bad situations under the rug and keeping the information from their supervisor. Human resources also does the same thing. There are road blocks in the company and makes for a revolving door of employees and families.

Too big and political to make real change

Anonymous (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsSome great people and, depending on the department, smart, competent people that have a desire to do good things for children

ConsToo political and bogged down in upper management's slow decisions make effective change. Too much fear in the masses to make effective change

Worked for Knowledge Universe? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Knowledge Universe reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Knowledge Universe CEO Tom Wyatt. All 74 reviews posted anonymously by Knowledge Universe employees.