Knowledgent

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
2.7

Peter Gibson & Shail Jain

Pros
  • To read these reviews and see that Big Data is "smoke and mirrors" is laughable (in 6 reviews)

• The company has a super experienced and supportive senior management team (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Big Data push is mostly smoke & mirrors, they are essentially a staff aug body shop (in 8 reviews)

• The firm is a body shop that claims to be a boutique consultancy (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

I have been working at Knowledgent (more than 5 years)

Pros

Experienced and forward thinking mgt. team. A great place to further your technical skills, leading edge. They value people who are interested in furthering their skills and continuing learning. The more you invest in your skills and competency the more your career will advance. The ultimate testimony of a company is that many of their employees were employees at a previous company the leadership owned.

Cons

Normal issues with a start up

Employer of Opportunity.....

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Knowledgent

Pros

All positive...yes the days are long and demanding but that comes with making an investment in yourself when being exposed to all new technologies (Hadoop/Big Data)...The entire world is in the infancy of Big Data but I am being paid quite handsomely to leverage my existing senior data integration skills and learn this new technology hands on and our client is completely on-board with this.

I see technology peers paying off-shore host company's to take online tutorials to learn Hadoop technologies but they are spending their own money and not getting actual project experience, which I can tell you puts you to the front of the marketability line. Add this to SUPERIOR compensation, healthcare, vacation, 401k package as well as being surrounded by the brightest people I have ever encountered within IT...I'd say I'm very fortunate to have been hired by Knowledgent...

Cons

Absolutely no negatives to report.

Keep up the AWESOME work.

Great Opportunities

I have been working at Knowledgent

Pros

I'm fairly new to the Knowledgent team and as I was one who read through these previous reviews, I was skeptical but yet wanted to make my own decisions of my career growth (don't get me wrong, I did my homework).

I just reached my 3 month mark and am thrilled with the caliber of the team members, the work that I have been part of has been with Data Analytics and am learning many visualization tools.

Yes, the projects are challenging but I would expect them to be. Just attended the Holiday Party and to me, the culture seems pretty good!

My advise, talk to the team and make your own assessments. I'm glad I did.

Cons

Like the newsletter that comes out! More communications please.

Shame on these people who are bashing this firm with plain lies!

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Focused on data and analytics space. Latest technology and a great client list. Good momentum. A culture of Can Do!

Cons

You need to know what you are talking about. Do not oversell yourself.

Keep hiring great talent. You need to communicate the good things you do, like keeping a good size bench, tarining people, IP Development. I know one fellow who has billed for on day and has been on the bench for over six months...let others know know that you invest in talent.

Bring Your "A Game"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a good place for people that have considerable experience and are always pushing the envelope. I'm not an exec there, but do a considerable amount of their profile/technical interviewing (although I'm a working consultant) - I know what they are looking for. They want the top players and are willing to pay for them. Confident self-starters that are always learning are the target profile. I've been with them for three years, and it's a demanding environment. Younger, more-junior consultants will do well to find a mentor internally and will learn five years of stuff in three years - if they make the effort. While the emphasis was Big Data Strategy for a period of time, integrating Big Data into the larger picture is now the main thrust.

This place is a low-politics meritocracy on steroids. It's all about knocking it out of the park all the time.

Cons

If you want someone to manage your career for you, this is not the place. Very-challenging, aggressive projects are everywhere, and stepping-up your game is expected. Access to top management (very sharp!) is available but requires persistence - it is a very busy environment. Those that expect to be rewarded for just showing up and doing the same thing year after year will be disappointed and get lost/forgotten.

Don't take the higher pay and think that you'll be able to fly under the radar - it won't happen here.

Keep up the top-player focus and reward structure, but increase the ability of more-junior and medium-experience team members to find a mentor and be heard.

Love the low-politics atmosphere!!

Stumbled upon Glassdoor and felt obligated to write an honest review

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with Knowledgent for over 3 years. I came here for opportunity to be challenged and I have been challenged bigtime. Our clients trust us with the tough projects, not the layups. To read these reviews and see that Big Data is "smoke and mirrors" is laughable. Going through all these reviews and being here as long as I have I can see for the most part its the same comments that appear to be from the same handful of people. For me, I have worked on some very cool projects and learned from some top people. I love this company to a point I feel compelled to come on here and give my point of view. Make no mistake, this is not an easy place to work but the work is very rewarding, especially some of the projects in the healthcare and pharma space where you really feel like you are making a difference. I do see a lot of investing in new talent which has brought a great energy to the firm. There is no doubt this is a growing company, the past 6 months have been awesome and hope to see this trend continue.

Cons

Some of the really great people are on long term projects so its hard to get access to them. There is a need for better communications as there is a lot of hallway chatter. It was unfortunate that it took a while for us to just focus on data as we did have some really good people just not fit in and move on.

Better communication and keep hiring great people. Figure out what we need to do to maintain the course we are on.

Worst Corporate Culture and Morale

Current Employee - Management Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some talented, decent people; Decent salaries (for the few months you are employed there); Nice office space

Cons

Worst management and partners who only care about themselves and selling the firm; Consistent turnover- hire and fire environment; Partners promise longevity, but then fire within a few months; Extreme favoritism to management; IF you are a woman, forget it- they will treat you like crap

I wouldn't even know where to start- too much to say.

Consulting for the inept

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time (more than an year)

Pros

These guys will sell anything to anyone... clients or potential employess, it makes no difference. The downside is that while they can sell anything they have no desire to deliver on commitments. Six weeks in, I realized that the whole interview process was a bait and switch. Almost everyone I met was with an employee with less than 12 months tenure... A players, B players, C players it makes no difference, If you are not billable or related to the leadership team you are gone. I wouldn't wish these guys on my worst enemy...

Cons

It was an eye opener to see a company with less than 200 people firing clusters of employees every week. It was more shocking to hear that these people weren't getting any notice period and their medical benefits ended as they were being walked out of the office. If it's a choice between saving some money or doing the right thing, at Knowledgent it's always about the money. The reputation of these guys in the consulting world as employers is terrible and it's justified. Comments about the Exec., leadership team writing glowing reviews to bury the bad ones posted on here are also true. It's a running joke within the firm. Turnover run's well over 70% per year (total body shop), it's not voluntary and everyone spends each day wondering if it's their last. Any company of this size that has 35-40 open jobs posted at a time is just churning through people to avoid carrying a bench. The business model is to push profitability, so the senior managers can again sell a company and cash out with with big $. You are just a paving stone to be stepped on in this process. If you are an A player, go work for an A company and avoid this sweatshop and the mockery it makes of the consulting industry. Ask any of the 600 former employees out on linkedin if this place is a meritocracy and you'll get an honest answer - particularly when it comes to promised bonus targets. Big Data is a tiny sliver of what we do - most projects are bread and butter financial services and HC PM exercises. If you want to learn about bigdata go interview at HWorks. Finally, anyone accepting an offer here needs to get their severance terms inculded in the offer letter. It's the only way to insulate yourself from the same faith as the hundereds who have gone before you. If the recruiters are afraid to put a severance commitment in your offer letter you'll know its because they're expecting to have to pay you one in the near future.

Really ? - 'Stumbled' on the comments here on glass door - that's a new low.

Prison might be better than this place, employees do as they are told and expected not to have opinions!!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Warren, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing. Highly encourage anyone to contact former employees to find out the rotten truth about this place. I have (4) offers right now and everyone of the competitors knew about the turnover at Knowledgent without me explaining why I was leaving.

Cons

Executives lie, people walk around every Friday hoping they don't get cut. This place is the armpit of consulting run by a bunch of old crusty Jersey guys. Executives talk and walk more like the Sopranos and than professional management consultants.

Re-brand your company and start treating people like they are human. Good luck selling this one, everyone is already celebrating the sale prior to crossing the goal line.

The best alternative to unemployment! decent pay, high turnover and bad reputation helps you get a new job fast!!

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The relationship these guys have with their clients is amazing, they can sell ice to Eskimos. They get you "in" and get you a paycheck, whether you know the job or not, MDM, PMP, RPM, VMS, LMS it doesn't matter, they bill the client!! This is better than a superman movie, sales people should be wearing capes!!!

They also "interview" department heads within firms to get them to do business with the Knowledgent, with no intention of ever hiring them. This is a great "bait & switch" technique they use all the time, and many fall for it. So if you are the head of a big department at a big bank or pharma don't start blushing when they want to "interview" you they just want you to buy some snake oil services.

I am sure this review will be matched by another executive writing a 5-star review to offset the truth. Interesting how all the positive reviews are 5-stars. No!! you don't say? is that what's happening??

Cons

As long as you keep your expectations low, you will be just fine. This is a drive thru, not a fine dining place to build your career, epitome of a body shop. Absolutely no work-life balance they call you for conference calls anytime they want and the company parties are usually on "non-billing" days because these cheap skates don't want to lose out on a single billing day. So have fun on a Saturday night at the company event, yeah!!! But don't party too hard because Monday is billing day, no more time for play! Young talent is disappearing fast because they read the bad reviews, watch their friends get axed and run for the hills. While the old geezers that make-up most of the company, no one else wants to hire them, but have no fear Knowledgent Group is here, to hire you and bill you out!

Hang on a little longer, you will be selling this one to another fool and taking all your buddies back out for the next one. Hopefully the next buyer doesn't research the EMC job, which was out of bank heist movie. In all seriousness think about changing the company name to "Geriatrics Group" or "Smoke & Mirrors Consulting", it fits your consultant profiles much better. Please stop harassing your female employees, find your dates outside of work, better yet put them in leadership roles.