Kobo

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Takahito

Challenging work environment, awesome manager and coworkers

UI Developer (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsYou will work with the smartest people in Toronto

ConsThe amount of development is seasonal

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Work hard not smart

Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThere are some amazing people at this company who have a lot of great ideas. There is also a lot of opportunities for promotion if you know how to work the system.

ConsThere isn't really a desire to make things stable and better. Lots of things are done to solve existing problems without any attention to future problems. This results in a constant firefighting mode. Rather than spending some time to preventing fires they focus 100% of their effort on putting out existing fires.

Unorganized chaos. Superhero syndrome expected. Workload high due to management incompetence.

Marketing Designer (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsNice work space, free coffee and fruit, good eqipment

ConsToxic work environment, horrible management, unorganized, no passion for work, employees not rewarded,

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees more. Don't hold a 3 hour all staff meeting at 5pm on a Friday. What's wrong with you? People have children and families to take care of. Think about your employees first, and the work second.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Reward those who deserve it

ProsGreat Coworkers
    Great learning experience
    Fast paced

ConsLong Hours
    Unclear job descriptions
    Lack of planning for yearly forecast in terms of marketing initiatives
    Some departments extremely unorganized
    Some employees should NOT be working at this company and carry high egos

Advice to Senior ManagementReward those who deserve it, and spread the workload. Some teams are overworked while others work 9 to 5. What is 9 to 5? Havent seen those hours since my first day over 2 years ago.

Fired 100+ employees in 2014. Future uncertain.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTalented co-workers and fast-paced environment.

ConsManagers and executives that have the habit of sprinting from one priority to the next without having a coherent strategy. No mentorship and little training for new recruits.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't spend the time and money to hire top talent in one year only to let them go the next. And being the aspiring to be David (to the Goliath that is Amazon and Google) is not license to be disorganized and overly fond of empty slogans. I am not overly confident that the parent company, Rakutan, will remain committed to the sustained success of the company.

Nice, casual, relatively young working environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOffice was open concept, people were really friendly, a company that experienced tremendous growth very fast. Fun work environment.

Conswasn't the most exciting jobs, but didn't work there for very long.

Great company with potential and new CEO

Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThe best part of working at Kobo when I was hired 3 years ago was the people and the culture. We were a family and worked hard together and played hard and celebrated all of the successes and up hill battles together. The leadership team really cared about us and everyone wanted to go into work every day and even though we could work from home when we wanted we came to work because of the environment. Over the past few months we have a new CEO from Japan who is trying to make positive changes to get the company on a track to profitability. He seems very smart and has an impressive bio.

ConsLast November Kobo had layoffs and promised us that was the last of them and all of our jobs were safe and we had nothing to worry about. Over the last 2 days entire departments were wiped out and approximately 75 more skilled and dedicated employees were let go. We were marched into meeting rooms one by one and the 2 girls from human resources that terminated me were pathetic. They probably had 2 years work experience combined and it showed. I was 'read' a letter with no eye contact while the other one in the room was texting on her phone.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to take a serious look at your human resources. You need to terminate the business partners and hire mature, knowledgable human resources 'professional's that know what they are doing and keep things confidential. This would be a big step towards improving image. (Take note of what time a few of the h.r. people get into work every day (hint - some of us are already coming back from our mid morning break!). Funny they are the leading offenders of policies they are putting in place.

Lacking direction and Focus

ProsSmart people in the trenches, good pay, good perks.

ConsWeak Leaders who do not provide direction or focus. Constantly changing strategies and direction causes employee to be in a state of constant chaos. Lack of communication from new leadership team on upcoming changes and structure of the company is causing stress and lack of direction for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement changes A.S.A.P. Stop telling employees updates and announcements will be provided and not following through on it. If you make a commitment then do it!

Poor management

Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood, smart people. Lots of perks.

Conslack of proper human resources, poor management and leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan ahead and stop chasing its tail

Changing of the Executive Guard

ProsLike most of the other reviews, Kobo is loaded with great people.

ConsOriginal executive team slowly leaving the company and being replaced by people from the mother ship, Rakuten. Lots of uncertainty among employees right now.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome clean with the future direction of the company.

Worked for Kobo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kobo reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kobo CEO Takahito . All 44 reviews posted anonymously by Kobo employees.