Koch Business Solutions Reviews

3.7
Richard Swan

Working at Koch Business Solutions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Koch Business Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company values, competitive compensation and benefits; leadership; personal and professional growth opportunity

Cons

Lack of structure - you must be very self-starting and take initiative on your own without guidance (this is also a Pro in that you are stretched)

2. Not as Good as it may seem

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Koch Business Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

some of the Coworkers
    Its a job that may open doors for better company's with having them on your resume.

Cons

The management and leadership ask for ideas on how to implement changes and want you to create value but when you give them feedback or ideas its either swept under the rug and ignored.
    Low salary no raises or bonuses
    Some Employees and Management can be rude and have attitudes when trying to get assistance
    Misleading job descriptions and information provided in interviews regarding positions
    Lack of Vision for the departments of the Shared Service environment
    Management is unaware of how to implement changes or improvements for the departments
    Management is disconnected with the work and employees
    very low morale
    External employees do not have the slightest idea what the Shared Services can and can not do. Its a huge disconnect especially when they only know to reach out to 1 or 2 departments
    ALOT of Turnover
    Favoritism
    Lack of resources
    Process documents are outdated and not updated
    Training and Development
    No work to life balance
    No room for human error
    Commute
    Separation of Duties needs to occur among departments

Advice to Management

Everything shouldn't be a test by now. Either its proven fact that this will work. Instead of losing great employees it is time for a change in leadership and management. If the company is going to operate as a full shared service call center then each department should be available to accept and answer questions. Bring in qualified technical writers to write process documents and deliver training and development.

3. Constantly challenged and feel like there is meaning in my work

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Koch Business Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After being at Koch for almost 2 years, I have learned a great deal and stay constantly challenged in my role. I am able to find value in what I do and get the opportunity to interact with various different types of people from across Koch. As with any challenging job, a lot is expected of you but you are recognized for the work that you do and the value that you bring. Koch stresses the importance to grow in your career and gives opportunities to move within the organization to achieve your goals.

Cons

The work that is being done is high demanding and requires you to strive towards facilitating change. If you want to be challenged daily then this is the place for you. One aspect that could be improved is that it is a little more difficult to get flex schedules and/or telecommuting approved for your role. This is one area where KBS is slightly behind on making the options available to its employees as an incentive on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

My leadership is great in regards to how my challenges, concerns and ideas are heard and taken under advisement to improve the overall efforts of the team. I suggest ensuring that this style of leadership is incorporated in all of the various teams at KBS.

5. Strong company culture; focus on high quality service, value creation, and our customers

Current Employee - Manager Within Human Resources Solutions in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager Within Human Resources Solutions in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Koch Business Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

All employees must follow MBM Guiding Principles- they work and make sense!
    You are expected to think like a business owner- if you see opportunities for change and improvement you are expected to raise and drive those ideas forward.
    Regular, direct, and honest feedback- I know exactly what I am doing well and what I need to improve in.
    I have control over my success- Expectations are very clear and I have enough room and flexibility to meet expectations. If I miss the mark or don't meet expectations, it is a result of my own performance and not because I was missing the tools or support necessary to be successful.
    Compensation is very competitive and is very much tied to my contributions and the value I create.
    Excellent leadership- current leadership is supportive and has developed a strong, actionable vision.
    Individualized job growth and opportunities- Koch Industries is going through huge growth and expansion, this will continue to change and expand job opportunities available within Koch. My career path doesn't look like that of my peers or colleagues, it is based on my individual strengths, weaknesses, and areas of interest.

Cons

The company has undergone and continues to find new ways to innovate and change- change can be very unnerving to some.

Truly, I really enjoy working for KBS. I feel like I have learned so much, worked hard, and as a result have been rewarded with great and interesting opportunities.

Advice to Management

KBS HRS leadership has made some great changes that have helped us to get on track in terms of vision and creating value. These changes have been very positive and have had a positive impact on employee fulfillment. Keep it up!

6. You better fit the culture or else...

Current Employee - ETS in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - ETS in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Koch Business Solutions

Pros

As a Jr member I felt like I had a say in where the sails of the mother ship pointed.
    The downtown Atlanta office is located near many great places for lunch. My favorite part of the day was getting lunch somewhere new with Co workers.
    There is a challenge process where you can challenge anyone on basically anything. This helps process improvement. Nobody feels offended when you challenge them.

Cons

If you don't fit the culture you won't last long.
    Sometimes you get challenged just for the sake of challenging.
    If you're in Atlanta you're manager will probably be in Kansas and won't be sympathetic to your situation in Atlanta.
    The commute from OTP is hellacious. People from Gwinnett have to leave by 6 to be at work by 8.
    Managers can be dishonest.
    You're every move will be challenged.
    Very little work from home opportunity
    You will be brainwashed to think like the Koch brothers politically.

Advice to Management

Hire management in Atlanta for Atlanta employees.
    Allows employees the decision rights to work from home.
    Stop pressuring us to vote for Republicans and to donate to their campaign.

A Different Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Koch Business Solutions full-time

Pros

Best manager of my career...cares about employees' satisfaction in role, very flexible when need time off, and trust employees to make decisions. Feel empowered to make a difference by contributing to changes. Asks for feedback on improvements. Pay is satisfactory. Salary increases are based on merit.

Cons

The Atlanta location is in a less desirable area of the city...some concerns of safety outside the building and in parking area. The larger company can make becoming acclimated more difficult.

Advice to Management

Can't speak for other departments but couldn't ask for a better manager. Very approachable and open to discussions. Keep up the good work!

Growing company with a challenging work environment and humble leadership

Current Employee - Information Technology in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Koch Business Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of growth opportunities (we just opened up a satellite IT office in Reno, NV), challenging work environment, pay for performance (you get out of it what you put in), managers and leadership have high expectations which is great as they encourage you to stretch yourself and help you grow, encourage you to challenge the status quo and always look for ways to do things better, not a top down environment and you have exposure to Sr. Executives, offer both 401k AND pension.

Really cool story I heard from employees about our president Richard Swan. He was actually seen sitting in with IT help desk employees to better understand the environment in our call center and the struggles they were having. Just shows how humble leadership is. Not many companies can say their president would take the time to do something like this. The president also comes to Atlanta every month and I constantly see him meeting with employees at all levels.

Cons

You won't enjoy it if you want to just skate by as they have high expectations, wish we had a little bit more flex scheduling with ATL traffic, work from home flexibility is getting better but it's not perfect, would be great to see more of the Wichita roles have the option to work remotely from ATL as this would provide even more growth opportunities for our employees,

Advice to Management

Its rewarding to work for a company with such humble sr. leadership! Thank you for modeling our MBM Guiding Principles through your actions. You all set the tone every day to make Koch a place people want to be at.

A company that rewards you for hard work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Koch Business Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Koch Business Solutions gives you the opportunity to work with all the different Koch companies. As an IT service provider, you are placed in a unique position to provide value to the Koch businesses. This exposure opens many opportunities for growth. My carrier has advanced through multiple promotions. I really enjoy working with people that are aligned with the MBM culture.

Cons

For those of us in KBS that work out of the Atlanta office, the commute can be challenging. I have learned to arrive early and leave promptly to deal with the traffic. The multiple transportation alternatives are a great advantage. I have started to like riding a bus to catch up on work, read, or take a nap.

Advice to Management

Know your people. Identify who embraces the culture and who does not.

Great company to start career with

Current Intern - Human Resources Services in Atlanta, GA
    Current Intern - Human Resources Services in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Koch Business Solutions as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Approachable management team
    Great food benefits
    Good environment for training and learning new systems
    Positive work environment
    Strong morals among teams
    Interview process was enjoyable although lengthy
    Good location for lunch spots as well as entertainment
    Close to a Marta Train station

Cons

Awful commute if you aren't within walking distance
    Repetitive work
    Slow paced environment
    Busy managers, difficult to schedule time to meet
    Lots of homeless people populate the area
    Strict MBM guidelines, non negotiable

Advice to Management

n/a

Very Happy With My Working Experience with Koch!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Koch Business Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

private company means they are not driven towards quarterly earnings, great co-workers, wonderful work environment, opportunities for growth in a large company, expectation that you will voice your opinion regardless of role, not a top down mentality, flexible org structure that can be adapted as needed, ability to act as a business owner, good leadership.

Cons

The only challenge I've encountered is the commute but once you get acclimated to it, it is no big deal. Leadership has started to be a lot more flexible about working from home if need be.

Advice to Management

Keep adapting to the market around flexibility to work from home and flexible work schedules.

Koch Business Solutions Photos