Koch Business Solutions

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Robertson

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very solid and useful internship

Compliance and Controls (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

Pros- Walking distance to office from campus (for Georgia State students).
    - Flexible in the preference of days and hours (time manage the deadlines and everything else is fine).
    - Competitive hourly pay (for a non-IT focused industry).
    - Professional and cooperative employees (great people to work with).
    - Excellent supervisor (caring guidance and easy to talk to).
    - Ergonomic desks (stand and burn some calories)!
    - Meaningful work (other people were dependent upon the work produced).
    - Top management involvement (consistently present and supportive for improvement).

ConsNot much to say here.

Decent place to clock hours, collect a cheque and live a "cul-de-sac" lifestyle. Not for people with aspirations.

IT Systems Administrative (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsAtl location close to tons of choices for lunch. Also close to choice bars and a Hooters to wash away the sorrows of working at the KBS offices. Good place to get your foot in./

ConsMust follow the MBM. Must face the constant bombardment of the Koch bros pushing their Tea Party agenda. Not a lot of flexibility in working from home (wake up guys, it's 2014). Horrendous Atlanta commute. Horrible pay compared to the current market.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a cue from the Silicon Valley companies out West - allow for more flexibility. Otherwise,

Good company, very compliance oriented, room for improvement

IT Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood company with strong mission and values. They live and breath Market-Based Management (MBM), which are the 10 commandments, erh, 10 guiding principles by which the culture is formed and maintained. You must drink the cool-aid, which, at the end of the day, is not bad tasting, if you are very conservative, hard-working, and passionate about oil, chemicals, and toilet paper. Although not perfect, they do attempt to practice what they preach, from the top-down and bottom-up. Management, in most cases, works hard, rewards good behavior, and strives to help those who need to improve. Pay is in range for a large company.

ConsIt is not a "fun" environment. Typical huge company, slow moving. They day often feels like drudgery. Compliance, for better or worse, is their top priority -- understandable, but can be taken too far outside the context of their core business (which clearly does have regulatory restrictions.) Teamwork is mediocre (at least in Atlanta), because people aren't in close proximity. The office is downtown and extremely long commutes force folks to get out by 3:45 to beat traffic and enjoy their "real life" at home. Bonus structure is "performance based", but still somewhat subjective. i.e. "spot bonuses". Annual performance reviews are given, but not always salary increases -- not even COL adjustments.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep improving. Promote more work at home. You're losing good people by holding on to your old way of thinking. Also you need to review how your salary and bonus structure works. It may be the "Koch way", but is so far out of line with the rest of corporate America, you may not always be attracting the right people. Also, bring in more non-"driver" personalities to provide balance and creativity.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Currently Employed at KBS in the Atlanta Office

Human Resources Services (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsPros include: great people; wonderful cultural principles; recognition for performance, opportunities for growth; honest feedback so that you know where your strengths and opportunities are; expectation that you will voice your opinion (challenge process) regardless of role; flexible org structure that can be adapted as needed - can succeed as an individual contributor or manager; transparency; ability to act as a business owner.

ConsThe only challenge I've encountered is the commute but once you get acclimated to it, it is no big deal. Also, public transit in the greater ATL area is awesome!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue what you're doing! This is the best place I have ever worked. I couldn't be more thrilled that I joined a company that aligns with my personal values. The continued growth and the success of the company is a welcome bonus.I am excited to go to work every day!

Free Market Culture with Exciting Career Opportunities

Business Director (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsStrong culture based on free market principles. Personal career growth between companies. Strong brands and quality products. Company takes a true long term view in decisions and acquisitions. I have personally found much fulfillment in my tenure with the company and I am very optimistic about the future of the business.

ConsIt's not for everyone. The company has a very strong culture and some employees find it difficult to acclimate. Raises and bonuses are not automatic based on service dates, it's a true pay for performance system.

"Good honest business. You get what you put into it."

(Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsKBS, and Koch in general, are full of good honest business people. It is free market capitalism in its purest. I get evaluated against the talent that is available on the open market and I respect that.

Performance driven culture
    Latitude to improve conditions around you
    Open feedback on performance/expectations
    Encouraged to take ownership of your work, development, and career
    Individuals that show promise get challenging assignments/roles
    Exposure to key decision makers
    Rapid growth for all Koch Industries companies
    I have seen people come and go. For most who have went, I understand and respect why
    Employees are open to change and challenging current processes

ConsDo not do enough to connect employees in lower level roles to career path opportunities
    Not for those who are not driven to perform at above average levels
    Training and development programs need to be improved
    MBM (company culture) is a unique, but not as unique as it is made out to be
    Not a place to "cruise" through your career
    Antiquated systems and software (getting better)
    Subjective compensation structure
    Advancement to senior roles likely to require relocation to Wichita

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have things moving in the right direction for KBS Atlanta. Keep it together as all the pieces continue to come into place in the upcoming years. Don't be too frugal in your investments in order to attract and retain key talent.

Advice to potential employees: If you are thinking about working for Koch and are looking to be challenged- pursue it. I made a big bet taking the role with Koch and it has paid off. Don't put too much faith in the negative reviews you read. Each person will perceive conditions differently, but for me, Koch is a great place to grow, develop, and create value.

I've enjoyed my time at Koch

Payroll (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsUnique business philosophy, Pay for performance, Friendly employees, High collaboration, Knowledge sharing, Growth opportunities, Overall the company is seeing a lot of growth which is exciting.

ConsIf you don't take constructive criticism well this wouldn't be the company for you. They expect all employees to improve year after year and learn from mistakes. Everyone I work with likes the culture because it encourages you to grow as a person, which will lead to growth opportunities.

Great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThis is a growing company with many opportunities. The MBM culture is very unique and aligns well with my morals and personal beliefs on markets and economics.

ConsThe commute into the Atlanta office can be strenuous. The company is not as flexible on working from home as others in the Atlanta market.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example on the MBM culture.

Glad I didn't read into the reviews on here to much!!

Senior Database Administrator (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood culture, value high performers, good management in place, good pay, good benefits, advancement opportunities

ConsI'm glad I didn't read into the reviews online, they're definitely misleading. I looked at these going into the interviews and made sure to watch for the things said on here. Since taking the opportunity I haven't see any of these issues thus far. I've been with Koch for 3 years now.

I made a BIG mistake accepting this offer

Employee Support Specialist (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prosinitial salary GP/Koch Industries
    company recognition

Consno salary increase in 3 years
    poor communication from middle and upper managment
    morale/co-workers attitudes
    workload/ work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in employees. Your interviewing process yields top talent but the work enviorment will not retain them. Be clear about the role and expectations of the role. I feel that the position I was recruiter for did not exist. Salariy increase should be given when the value added not years later.

Worked for Koch Business Solutions? Contribute to the Community!