Koch Industries

Be The First To
Add Photos

Koch Industries Chairman and CEO Charles G. Koch

Charles G. Koch

Pros:
  • "The core principles and business philosophies are sound and strongly advocated by the owner who is in his mid-70s"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Intellectual challenge, smart folks and a company that is not afraid to take risks"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is poor, especially if you work in Atlanta"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The long hours were due mainly to poor software"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Koch brothers bought G/P and changed many things at its Huntsville Al. facility.

Second Helper (Former Employee)
    Huntsville, AL

ProsThe corrugated box manufacturing plant was a terrible work environment when I began the job. I needed a paycheck so that is why I stayed for six months with perfect attendance before leaving.

ConsWhen Koch bros. bought G/P it got worse. My job title and many other employees was deleted, which dropped my pay and piled on more duties and responsibilities. If you work for any of their divisions, I warn you. They don't care about the amount of service and years you may have worked for them, in fact, it could cost you your job. I saw many with 20 plus yrs. lose their jobs costing them retirement benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am the little guy and would not expect the management to listen to an underappreciated former employee. Thanks for leaving this bad taste in my mouth for G/P, Koch Industries and all products produced by the company.

Worst place I have ever worked at.

ProsLots of perks for employees. Cafeteria, dry cleaning, discounts, etc.

ConsI was treated like they did not want me there due to a change in management after I was hired. Training was horrible, different staff members trained me the certain way they did things so when someone else checked my work they would ask, "Why did you do it this way?" What made it worse was that the people who trained me wouldn't say anything knowing they showed me the wrong way to do something.

Advice to Senior ManagementI spent a lot of time correcting managements mistakes, however, they acted like I was the one who made them.

Previous Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone. Wichita has a nice downtown. If you actually value teamwork and a discussion of ideas, this is not the place for you.

ConsThe company supposedly follows MBM principles, but they are not applicable to senior and upper level management. Everyone is overly critical, constantly looking for flaws in fellow employees. If you do not act like everyone else, they look to weed you out and you will become a subject of managment discussions for separation. Senior management will yell and say anything to lower level employees, but you can not do the same. Everyone is walking around like they are in the George Orwell book, "1984". There is no such thing as enterprenuerialship there because everyone is afraid of losing thier jobs. The Kochs run the business for what it is, the only major employer in the area and they use it to control the employees and their movement within the other Koch entities.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Painful to the point of death

Product Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay, excellent opportunity to advance, and nice co-workers. Everyone treated me with respect and we all had fun together.

ConsThey fund the entire bat-shit crazy movement and you have to live with the consequences of being part of one of the largest polluters in the world.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would tell them to take their silver spoon out of their butt, and focus on providing value to all stakeholders, not just shareholders

Slave Driver

Accountant III (Former Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsGood Advancement opportunities.. Ability to move around and explore different accounting positions

ConsHorrible work home life balance... I was working 80 hours a week for 6 months straight.. I also had a baby a toddler and a little one at home. When I brought up the situation to my boss I was told "to move up in the world you have to make sacrifices" I left after that.. I'm not willing to sacrifice my family... The work atmosphere is like high school.. there is a lot of clicks and office gossip.. not a very friendly professional atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork home life balance is extremely important... get that in line and employee morale will boost.. along with productivity.. You need to care and show you care about your employees in and out of work.

Prepare to have no life...work employees to death

Accountant III (Former Employee)
    Wichita, KS

Proslearn a lot and can move around to learn new things

ConsDon't care about employees or employees families....work late late late nights

Advice to Senior ManagementA happy employee is a productive employee... work/home life balance is extremely important

Play it by the book

Safety (Former Employee)
    Fort Dodge, IA

ProsIt’s a close nit group of people. Company isn’t afraid to spend money to get the job done.

ConsThere is a big disconnect between management and “workers”. There is zero flexibility on company policies no matter if there is a good reason or not. You quickly become a number and they will not hesitate to fire an employees if they don’t it by the book 100% of the time. Perfection is the expectation and anything other than that you will get run over.

Good Starting Pay, No Where to go though

ProsGood starting pay
    no layoffs

ConsNo bonuses or raises for first five years so get what you want at the start.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with market prices. Have more insentive to work.

Their poor reputation is well deserved.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompetent people to work with. Interesting, technical work. I learned a lot working here. Not much else positive whatsoever.

ConsSeveral of the people I met here were hyper-conservative, racist, and homophobic. Their public relations department is nothing more than a propaganda machine. They try to brain wash all their employees to share the exact same political, social, and economic views as the company. The company pretends to be ethical but will abandon their "principles" any time a profit is to be made.

Mundane.

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsEmployees are generally motivated and have a positive work ethic, pay is decent. Feedback from management is helpful.

ConsExpectation is that work-life balance is nonexistent. Expect phone calls on vacation for unimportant reasons. Benefits and vacation time are minimum. Office atmosphere is not social.

Worked for Koch Industries? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Koch Industries reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Koch Industries CEO Charles G. Koch. All 54 reviews posted anonymously by Koch Industries employees.