Koch Industries

Updated January 31, 2015
3.1

Koch Industries Chairman and CEO Charles G. Koch
Charles G. Koch

Pros
  • The core principles and business philosophies are sound and strongly advocated by the owner who is in his mid-70s (in 3 reviews)

• Intellectual challenge, smart folks and a company that is not afraid to take risks (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is poor, especially if you work in Atlanta (in 5 reviews)

• The long hours were due mainly to poor software (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Dead end tax attorney role.

Current Employee - Tax Attorney
    Current Employee - Tax Attorney

I have been working at Koch Industries

Pros

Sophisticated, challenging tax work that will stretch your ability to analyze complex issues.

Cons

Toxic culture. The only thing I can compare this experience to is an abusive relationship. You can expect to be emotionally abused, ignored, disregarded, publicly shamed and humiliated. The work is highly interesting, but at some point the abusive culture outweighs the interesting tax issues. This is a miserable, depressing environment to work in. You will also be told that bonuses are 50% - 100% of your base in the recruiting process while the reality is they are more in the 7% - 30% range depending upon how long you have been here.

None. These people revel in making people miserable. Good luck.

Watch your back

Former Employee - IT Management in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - IT Management in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay was good.

Cons

Very political environment. You always need to watch your back. Doing a good job is not enough at Koch, you have to smooze with the right people and watch out for toxic people.

Upper management doesn't really know the culture. It is very cut-throat where people are looking for fault instead of how to work together and improve. I doubt that upper management know how bad it really is.

Koch brothers bought G/P and changed many things at its Huntsville Al. facility.

Former Employee - Second Helper in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Second Helper in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The corrugated box manufacturing plant was a terrible work environment when I began the job. I needed a paycheck so that is why I stayed for six months with perfect attendance before leaving.

Cons

When Koch bros. bought G/P it got worse. My job title and many other employees was deleted, which dropped my pay and piled on more duties and responsibilities. If you work for any of their divisions, I warn you. They don't care about the amount of service and years you may have worked for them, in fact, it could cost you your job. I saw many with 20 plus yrs. lose their jobs costing them retirement benefits.

I am the little guy and would not expect the management to listen to an underappreciated former employee. Thanks for leaving this bad taste in my mouth for G/P, Koch Industries and all products produced by the company.

Worst place I have ever worked at.

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of perks for employees. Cafeteria, dry cleaning, discounts, etc.

Cons

I was treated like they did not want me there due to a change in management after I was hired. Training was horrible, different staff members trained me the certain way they did things so when someone else checked my work they would ask, "Why did you do it this way?" What made it worse was that the people who trained me wouldn't say anything knowing they showed me the wrong way to do something.

I spent a lot of time correcting managements mistakes, however, they acted like I was the one who made them.

Previous Manager

I worked at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

None. Wichita has a nice downtown. If you actually value teamwork and a discussion of ideas, this is not the place for you.

Cons

The company supposedly follows MBM principles, but they are not applicable to senior and upper level management. Everyone is overly critical, constantly looking for flaws in fellow employees. If you do not act like everyone else, they look to weed you out and you will become a subject of managment discussions for separation. Senior management will yell and say anything to lower level employees, but you can not do the same. Everyone is walking around like they are in the George Orwell book, "1984". There is no such thing as enterprenuerialship there because everyone is afraid of losing thier jobs. The Kochs run the business for what it is, the only major employer in the area and they use it to control the employees and their movement within the other Koch entities.

Painful to the point of death

Former Employee - Product Manager
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Koch Industries

Pros

Great pay, excellent opportunity to advance, and nice co-workers. Everyone treated me with respect and we all had fun together.

Cons

They fund the entire bat-shit crazy movement and you have to live with the consequences of being part of one of the largest polluters in the world.

I would tell them to take their silver spoon out of their butt, and focus on providing value to all stakeholders, not just shareholders

Great company with low potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salary. Company follows the KOCH values. They are culture driven, formerly Georgia Pacific. Parent company to several companies.

Cons

Senior management needs to listen to people at lower level. Everyone seems unhappy.They place strong emphasis on results and forget about caring for their employees.

Management spend a lot of time behind closed door instead of out in the open to lead the team.

Slave Driver

Former Employee - Accountant III in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Advancement opportunities.. Ability to move around and explore different accounting positions

Cons

Horrible work home life balance... I was working 80 hours a week for 6 months straight.. I also had a baby a toddler and a little one at home. When I brought up the situation to my boss I was told "to move up in the world you have to make sacrifices" I left after that.. I'm not willing to sacrifice my family... The work atmosphere is like high school.. there is a lot of clicks and office gossip.. not a very friendly professional atmosphere.

Work home life balance is extremely important... get that in line and employee morale will boost.. along with productivity.. You need to care and show you care about your employees in and out of work.

Prepare to have no life...work employees to death

Former Employee - Accountant III in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

learn a lot and can move around to learn new things

Cons

Don't care about employees or employees families....work late late late nights

A happy employee is a productive employee... work/home life balance is extremely important

Play it by the book

Former Employee - Safety in Fort Dodge, IA
    Former Employee - Safety in Fort Dodge, IA

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It’s a close nit group of people. Company isn’t afraid to spend money to get the job done.

Cons

There is a big disconnect between management and “workers”. There is zero flexibility on company policies no matter if there is a good reason or not. You quickly become a number and they will not hesitate to fire an employees if they don’t it by the book 100% of the time. Perfection is the expectation and anything other than that you will get run over.