Koch Industries

Updated February 22, 2015
Updated February 22, 2015

Koch Industries Chairman and CEO Charles G. Koch
Charles G. Koch

Pros
  • The core principles and business philosophies are sound and strongly advocated by the owner who is in his mid-70s (in 3 reviews)

• Intellectual challenge, smart folks and a company that is not afraid to take risks (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is poor, especially if you work in Atlanta (in 5 reviews)

• The long hours were due mainly to poor software (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Tax Attorney/Tax Manager/Tax Director assessment of Koch Industries

Former Employee - Tax Attorney/Tax Manager/Tax Director in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Tax Attorney/Tax Manager/Tax Director in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

Complex and interesting work
    Libertarian politics
    Short commute time to company headquarters

Cons

Extremely low base salary and extremely low bonuses (if there even are any)
    No work-life balance; law firm-like work demands, but laughable and insulting compensation
    Extremely arrogant and dishonest management and leadership
    Class-like/caste system of haves and have nots
    "Good old boys" network (if you are not a perverted male or beautiful female, forget about advancement)
    People are terminated constantly for small personality clashes with their petulant supervisors
    Cult-like atmosphere

I was recruited to work in the Koch Industries tax department many years ago. I was told that my offered base salary, despite being 50% under market, would not matter as I would receive bonuses that would equal or exceed 100% of my base salary if I met or exceeded expectations. My performance reviews indicated I met or exceeded expectations every year I was employed at Koch yet my year-end bonuses never exceeded 20% of my base salary (which itself was 50% below market). Each time I confronted my supervisor, he always had an excuse like "the company is not doing that well this year" or "management is trying to cut back." In reality, my supervisor just lied, and he and the other tax leadership gave the same line to each tax attorney who walked in the door. My situation has been repeated dozens and dozens of times over the last decade.

Koch works its employees (especially its younger attorneys) to death, treats them like garbage, and then punishes them further at the end of each year by giving them low bonuses. It was heart-breaking to see how people really believed Koch would keep its word and then were constantly disappointed, after having left good-paying jobs elsewhere to move their families to Wichita.

Retention and attrition are absolutely terrible at Koch because of the dishonesty regarding compensation, work-life balance, employee morale, etc.. Many tax recruiting agencies/headhunters will no longer recruit for Koch because they know Koch is simply dishonest in its recruiting practices.

I finally decided to go elsewhere after enduring the hypocrisy for many years. I left and my compensation at my new employer was over double what I earned at Koch, and that is with working 25% less, having much less stress, obtaining and using four weeks of annual vacation, among many, many other perks.

Do yourself a favor, do not believe Koch's hype, spare yourself the misery and disappointment, and find a job elsewhere. You will be very grateful you did not make the mistake of going to work for Koch Industries.

1. Pay employees market compensation,and be honest with prospective employees during the recruiting process so they can make informed educated decisions about their future.
    2. Eliminate the haves and have-nots class sytem that exists, many people work and contribute, but only the top 5-10% are compensated well or even according to market standards (despite the line of garbage told to prospective employees during the recruiting process)
    3. Terminate leadership in tax and finance departments
    4. Teach new leadership about the importance of honesty and integrity dealing with employment matters, especially in recruiting and retaining employees

Electrician

Former Employee - Electrician in Clatskanie, OR
    Former Employee - Electrician in Clatskanie, OR

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pros are rapidly disappearing. The pay may sound good for a stable job, but the stripping of benefits is taking its toll. Use to be friendly and some people still are. But there is a lot of back stabbing union to union because Koch likes it that way. Opportunity to learn if you make the right friend.

Cons

Lower and mid Management doesn't care about people,s safety, family lives or attempts to add value to the bottom line.
    Seen many people thrown under the bus for standing up for principles.
    Bonuses are given out by the good old boy system.
    Resources to fix things quickly are being stripped away by poor work management practices and no one seems to care and just blames the system. This will be demoralizing if you care about keeping things going.
    Training does not exist for all.
    Opportunity does not exist for all
    Again it's good old boy system.
    Union and management create a non functioning work environment that many just hate to return to each day.
    This is why about 1/3 of the electricians and instrument techs have left in 2014.
    If you live in Washington you will pay 9 percent to a state you don't live in.
    If you live in St Helens or Scappoose, there's better jobs with normal managers in PDX.
    Raises are set by a national contract that has averaged 1.5 percent a year from 2010-2018.
    While giving sub standard raises Koch has stripped good health care, such as kaiser and replaced it with a PPO that ran about 400 a month. Then they took away the PPO plan and forced on a HSA that takes several 100 dollars a month to buy if you have a family, then pays nothing until the first 2500 out of pocket and you keep paying out of pocket until you are out 6 grand. In 2018 it's quite likely Koch will push everyone to Obamacare. (According to union sources). There is also the possibility of a labor dispute as the contract is almost a year past due. The union and the company has agreed to changed some of the responsibilities and definitions of being an electrician. You may come to work here and find your days filled with greasing mechanical equipment because the company is looking for ways to save money and perhaps eliminate other trades. This is obvious by the language in the proposed contract. You will beed to be ready to become a millwright.
    Terrible safety record.
    Many Osha complaints and fines over the last decade of Koch's ownership

Listen to people.
    Try to get along.
    Your workforce thinks many of you are jokes and undermines you often.
    Look around you, much of the talent left and there is a high turn over of people who have nothing to lose by leaving while the old managers stay to preserve their vacations.
    Give managers raises do they will be happy
    Treat everyone with dignity and respect.
    Practice what you preach or just don't preach it and let the work force get things done.

Dead end tax attorney role.

Current Employee - Tax Attorney
    Current Employee - Tax Attorney

I have been working at Koch Industries

Pros

Sophisticated, challenging tax work that will stretch your ability to analyze complex issues.

Cons

Toxic culture. The only thing I can compare this experience to is an abusive relationship. You can expect to be emotionally abused, ignored, disregarded, publicly shamed and humiliated. The work is highly interesting, but at some point the abusive culture outweighs the interesting tax issues. This is a miserable, depressing environment to work in. You will also be told that bonuses are 50% - 100% of your base in the recruiting process while the reality is they are more in the 7% - 30% range depending upon how long you have been here.

None. These people revel in making people miserable. Good luck.

Watch your back

Former Employee - IT Management in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - IT Management in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay was good.

Cons

Very political environment. You always need to watch your back. Doing a good job is not enough at Koch, you have to smooze with the right people and watch out for toxic people.

Upper management doesn't really know the culture. It is very cut-throat where people are looking for fault instead of how to work together and improve. I doubt that upper management know how bad it really is.

Koch brothers bought G/P and changed many things at its Huntsville Al. facility.

Former Employee - Second Helper in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Second Helper in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The corrugated box manufacturing plant was a terrible work environment when I began the job. I needed a paycheck so that is why I stayed for six months with perfect attendance before leaving.

Cons

When Koch bros. bought G/P it got worse. My job title and many other employees was deleted, which dropped my pay and piled on more duties and responsibilities. If you work for any of their divisions, I warn you. They don't care about the amount of service and years you may have worked for them, in fact, it could cost you your job. I saw many with 20 plus yrs. lose their jobs costing them retirement benefits.

I am the little guy and would not expect the management to listen to an underappreciated former employee. Thanks for leaving this bad taste in my mouth for G/P, Koch Industries and all products produced by the company.

Worst place I have ever worked at.

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of perks for employees. Cafeteria, dry cleaning, discounts, etc.

Cons

I was treated like they did not want me there due to a change in management after I was hired. Training was horrible, different staff members trained me the certain way they did things so when someone else checked my work they would ask, "Why did you do it this way?" What made it worse was that the people who trained me wouldn't say anything knowing they showed me the wrong way to do something.

I spent a lot of time correcting managements mistakes, however, they acted like I was the one who made them.

Previous Manager

I worked at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

None. Wichita has a nice downtown. If you actually value teamwork and a discussion of ideas, this is not the place for you.

Cons

The company supposedly follows MBM principles, but they are not applicable to senior and upper level management. Everyone is overly critical, constantly looking for flaws in fellow employees. If you do not act like everyone else, they look to weed you out and you will become a subject of managment discussions for separation. Senior management will yell and say anything to lower level employees, but you can not do the same. Everyone is walking around like they are in the George Orwell book, "1984". There is no such thing as enterprenuerialship there because everyone is afraid of losing thier jobs. The Kochs run the business for what it is, the only major employer in the area and they use it to control the employees and their movement within the other Koch entities.

Painful to the point of death

Former Employee - Product Manager
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Koch Industries

Pros

Great pay, excellent opportunity to advance, and nice co-workers. Everyone treated me with respect and we all had fun together.

Cons

They fund the entire bat-shit crazy movement and you have to live with the consequences of being part of one of the largest polluters in the world.

I would tell them to take their silver spoon out of their butt, and focus on providing value to all stakeholders, not just shareholders

Not sad to go

Current Employee - IT in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - IT in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty good benefits. Pension. 401K Match. Vacations & Holiday, but expect to lose out on vacation because you will likely not be allowed to take any your first year or two. Solid company and safe place to ride out a bumpy economy.

Cons

I was recruited to work at Koch and the benefits seemed too good to be true. Turns out, they were. I was told by recruiter to expect 50-100% of my salary in bonuses. The entire time I was there? Nada. Turns out people in IT rarely get bonuses, since they're mostly servicing the people who make the company $. Thus - IT doesn't create any value, so no rewards.
    REALLY OLD technology. Business doesn't want to invest in technology - takes away from their bonuses - so the systems are archaic, unsupportable, and horrendous to change. Some of the programs use code that is so obsolete there's nobody left at the company to support it and the vendor won't support it either. Need a change to the system? Too bad but guess what? You still have to use the system because the business is too cheap to justify an upgrade.
    GOOD OLD BOYS - what do you expect? Very few women in leadership positions. Going to have a baby? Forget moving into a management role until your kids are much older or you just flat out work more than you have a life.
    POLITICS - expect to have the Koch 'culture' shoved down your throat and be prepared to vocally agree with their political viewpoints. Don't support the Tea Party? Then don't expect a career path with Koch.

Separate politics from the work environment. Promote more women and minorities. Diversify.

Great company with low potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salary. Company follows the KOCH values. They are culture driven, formerly Georgia Pacific. Parent company to several companies.

Cons

Senior management needs to listen to people at lower level. Everyone seems unhappy.They place strong emphasis on results and forget about caring for their employees.

Management spend a lot of time behind closed door instead of out in the open to lead the team.