Koch Industries

Updated September 10, 2014
3.3

Koch Industries Chairman and CEO Charles G. Koch
Charles G. Koch

Pros
  • The core principles and business philosophies are sound and strongly advocated by the owner who is in his mid-70s (in 3 reviews)

• Intellectual challenge, smart folks and a company that is not afraid to take risks (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is poor, especially if you work in Atlanta (in 5 reviews)

• The long hours were due mainly to poor software (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Very reputed and establish company

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Orange, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Orange, TX

I worked at Koch Industries full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very diverse team of people and get to work in very friendly and manner organisation. They value people and their integrity. Also help establish career growth plan.

Cons

very stringent on following MBM principle and would be cultural shock for people moving in from other company.

Great company with low potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary. Company follows the KOCH values. They are culture driven, formerly Georgia Pacific. Parent company to several companies.

Cons

Senior management needs to listen to people at lower level. Everyone seems unhappy.They place strong emphasis on results and forget about caring for their employees.

Management spend a lot of time behind closed door instead of out in the open to lead the team.

Great company with greater potential

Current Employee - IT Intern  in  Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - IT Intern in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Corporate culture, people, salary. Awesome place to start learning about what it's like to be in a working environment. Company believes that interns are an investment, and are willing to foster their learning because they could potentially be the future of the company

Cons

May collide with some people's political views. Not everyone is a fit. But if you are, it's a great place to be

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Start Off Your Career

Current Employee - Tax Intern  in  Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Tax Intern in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Pays Well
    Benefits
    A Lot of Training
    Leadership

Cons

Diversity is not a big part of this company
    Work-Life Balance

Communicate and build a relationship with lower level workers. They work just as hard as you.

Big company (with small company ideas) struggling to figure out how to successfully absorb very different acquisitions

I worked at Koch Industries

Pros

The core principles and business philosophies are sound and strongly advocated by the owner who is in his mid-70s.

Cons

A large segment of middle to upper lever managers are from other business cultures and do not fully embrace the guiding principles. It is not a transparent organization. Politics and back room maneuvering still drive decisions and promotions. The owner's direct involvement in driving this culture down below his immediate leaders is likely limited due to physical security issues for him. Plenty of managers promoted from technical ranks but no real leaders. The Peter Principle is in force in many management roles.

Top leaders should try to get out of Wichita and get direct feedback from the front lines to understand what is really going on. The message from the front is being cleaned up and deodorized before it gets sent all the way up. Leaders should ask the front line who the "servant leaders" are, and who walks the talk.

Koch brothers bought G/P and changed many things at its Huntsville Al. facility.

Former Employee - Second Helper  in  Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Second Helper in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Koch Industries full-time for less than a year

Pros

The corrugated box manufacturing plant was a terrible work environment when I began the job. I needed a paycheck so that is why I stayed for six months with perfect attendance before leaving.

Cons

When Koch bros. bought G/P it got worse. My job title and many other employees was deleted, which dropped my pay and piled on more duties and responsibilities. If you work for any of their divisions, I warn you. They don't care about the amount of service and years you may have worked for them, in fact, it could cost you your job. I saw many with 20 plus yrs. lose their jobs costing them retirement benefits.

I am the little guy and would not expect the management to listen to an underappreciated former employee. Thanks for leaving this bad taste in my mouth for G/P, Koch Industries and all products produced by the company.

It is all about creating value.

I worked at Koch Industries full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The companies core values are more than just words on paper, the employees wear it on the sleeves. The availability of training is quite good especially in the realm of Market Based Management (MBM). Good training for supervisors. This isn't a company that quibbles about $.02 on an business expense as long as you can show that it was a legitimate expense. Employee population heavily involved in giving back to the community.

Cons

The pace can become "fast and furious" at times, maintaining focus, knowing what value you bring are important to keep in front of you.

Stay the course!

Awesome place to work

I worked at Koch Industries

Pros

The people are fantastic to work with

Cons

Hours can be long and the travel

Listen to them more often

Slave Driver

Former Employee - Accountant III  in  Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Accountant III in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Advancement opportunities.. Ability to move around and explore different accounting positions

Cons

Horrible work home life balance... I was working 80 hours a week for 6 months straight.. I also had a baby a toddler and a little one at home. When I brought up the situation to my boss I was told "to move up in the world you have to make sacrifices" I left after that.. I'm not willing to sacrifice my family... The work atmosphere is like high school.. there is a lot of clicks and office gossip.. not a very friendly professional atmosphere.

Work home life balance is extremely important... get that in line and employee morale will boost.. along with productivity.. You need to care and show you care about your employees in and out of work.

Great culture

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time for more than a year

Pros

Personal accountability, Meritocracy, Great People

Cons

None. I really loved working at Koch.

Worked for Koch Industries? Contribute to the Community!