Koch Industries

Updated January 21, 2015
3.2

Koch Industries Chairman and CEO Charles G. Koch
Charles G. Koch

Pros
  • The core principles and business philosophies are sound and strongly advocated by the owner who is in his mid-70s (in 3 reviews)

• Intellectual challenge, smart folks and a company that is not afraid to take risks (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is poor, especially if you work in Atlanta (in 5 reviews)

• The long hours were due mainly to poor software (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Koch brothers bought G/P and changed many things at its Huntsville Al. facility.

Former Employee - Second Helper in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Second Helper in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The corrugated box manufacturing plant was a terrible work environment when I began the job. I needed a paycheck so that is why I stayed for six months with perfect attendance before leaving.

Cons

When Koch bros. bought G/P it got worse. My job title and many other employees was deleted, which dropped my pay and piled on more duties and responsibilities. If you work for any of their divisions, I warn you. They don't care about the amount of service and years you may have worked for them, in fact, it could cost you your job. I saw many with 20 plus yrs. lose their jobs costing them retirement benefits.

I am the little guy and would not expect the management to listen to an underappreciated former employee. Thanks for leaving this bad taste in my mouth for G/P, Koch Industries and all products produced by the company.

Great culture

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Personal accountability, Meritocracy, Great People

Cons

None. I really loved working at Koch.

Slave Driver

Former Employee - Accountant III in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Accountant III in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Advancement opportunities.. Ability to move around and explore different accounting positions

Cons

Horrible work home life balance... I was working 80 hours a week for 6 months straight.. I also had a baby a toddler and a little one at home. When I brought up the situation to my boss I was told "to move up in the world you have to make sacrifices" I left after that.. I'm not willing to sacrifice my family... The work atmosphere is like high school.. there is a lot of clicks and office gossip.. not a very friendly professional atmosphere.

Work home life balance is extremely important... get that in line and employee morale will boost.. along with productivity.. You need to care and show you care about your employees in and out of work.

Best job I ever had bar none. If you want to see what you can achieve- this is the place to do it.

Former Employee - Executive in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Executive in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cons

Not for the lazy- don't come here if you want an 8-5 job with breaks. Also, Wichita is not the most glamorous city.

Make sure you are giving younger folks a chance to move up- sometime they can get sidelined at too low a level because they are doing a great job that is a critical function.

Big company, good leadership. Compliance-driven, poor work-life balance

Former Employee - Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Talented, hard-working people.

Leadership makes an effort to practice what they preach. Company and people, including managers, are always striving to improve.

Ultra-conservative (this could be a pro or con, depending on your values and views.)

Profitable company. Competitive wages.

Everything is driven by the culture of "MBM Principles" (see the Charles Koch book "Science of Success"). One key element is allowing folks to challenge status quo or when something doesn't seem right. This includes subordinates challenging supervisors and others -- must be done respectfully, of course.

The company is trying to change things to appeal to a younger generation of worker... but slow going.

Performance reviews are very thorough and every effort is made to help employees improve.

Cons

As others have said, better make sure you are ready to drink the Koch kool-aid.
    Huge company, so change can be slow -- like pulling a semi-truck with a bull rope.

Work-life balance is poor, especially if you work in Atlanta. Horrible commute times to downtown (depending on where you live.) Other Atlanta companies get this and support "work-at-home". At KBS, there is no official WaH policy (it is on a case-by-case basis, if you can justify it) -- mainly because the folks in Wichita all live 10-20 minutes away from the office, have no traffic, thus have no empathy for those in Atlanta.

Atlanta office is very depressing. It is grey and sour yellow, like a smoker's den in the 70's, with furniture and fixtures from the 80's. People look tired and depressed, and with good reason. No one would ever want to just "hang out" there, rather everyone bolts around 4 o'clock to catch their bus or train, for their 1+ hour commute to get home (or essentially any place that is more fun.) Not a good sign for productivity, of course.

So much training and expectations on compliance and security, you feel like big brother is always watching. This is part of why things take so long to get done.

Compensation is "pay for performance", which is generally good. But wage increases or spot bonuses are subjective. Some folks have gone 3+ years without any raise. As a Supervisor, it's basically up to you to justify how good someone is -- this could qualify them for a spot bonus or permanent compensation increase. The problem is your idea of great performance and corresponding dollar increase could be very different than another Supervisor peer in a different department. It depends how much you believe in your employee, how good you can write, and how generous your boss's are.

For me personally, I was not connected with the mission of producing more fossil fuels, making chemicals, and selling toilet paper. Plus occasional Security guards at the doors and people picketing out front is not inspiring -- not my idea of a warm and friendly company.

Understand you will have to start attracting a new generation workforce. As such...
    Update or move the Atlanta office, preferably to the Dunwoody or Alpharetta area (a majority of the team live on the north side.)
    Invest in technology, training, and innovation. Create cross-functional teams to allow technical folks to better partner with the business units and feel connected.
    Embrace work-from-home. Leverage the right collaboration tools and write policies to make it happen.
    Keep striving to improve. Apply MBM principles, and don't be afraid to change (principle 7) -- not for just profit, but for the attraction and retention of great people.

Worst place I have ever worked at.

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of perks for employees. Cafeteria, dry cleaning, discounts, etc.

Cons

I was treated like they did not want me there due to a change in management after I was hired. Training was horrible, different staff members trained me the certain way they did things so when someone else checked my work they would ask, "Why did you do it this way?" What made it worse was that the people who trained me wouldn't say anything knowing they showed me the wrong way to do something.

I spent a lot of time correcting managements mistakes, however, they acted like I was the one who made them.

It has an upbeat company culture.

Former Employee - IT Service Desk Specialist in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - IT Service Desk Specialist in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, a lot of amenities at the HQ building.

Cons

Office politics are too extreme. I feel as though I was not 100% welcomed. Diversity is a huge issue at the headquarters office. Most employeees treat you like a lower class citizen; lack of acknowleding a person when being greeted.

Be more concerned with the happiness of your employees rather than focusing on strictly the production. If an employee is happy, they will be more prone to work more efficiently in the workplace. My last supervisor was results driven and was not a people person.

Challenging place to grow

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work
    Growth opportunities if you work hard
    Decent pay for the area

Cons

Not very flexible
    Can be old fashioned when it comes to technology and management styles

Seek to innovate and experiment more with technology and software

Great training in economics for every employee, you see how you contribute and add value

Current Employee - Consultant in North Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in North Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, training, strong colleagues

Cons

Controversial political views alienate some

need more agility

Sr Mechanical Engineer

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice working Environment. Nice people

Cons

Benefit is not as good as other companies