Kohl's

2,378 Reviews

Kohl's Chairman, President & CEO Kevin B. Mansell
Kevin B. Mansell
1,028 Ratings

Pros
  • Encouraging work life balance but this can depend on the team you are on (in 84 reviews)

• The employee discount was nice but it didn't make up for anything else (in 179 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance as much as they would like you to believe there is (in 101 reviews)

• Kohl's is essentially a credit card company which also happens to sell clothing (in 114 reviews)

More Highlights

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Leadership Experience

Current Employee - Store Management Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Management Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kohl's as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Supportive Management, Structured Program, Independence

Cons

Aggressive Credit Goals, Limited Exposure to Upper Management Day to Day

Not a good place to build your career

Current Employee - POS Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible schedule, you can easily give away your shift but only if you find someone willing to take it

Cons

Not good pay. They give you like a 10 cent raise every year. And you get hardly any hours.

I was treated with respect

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kohl's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

LP team was allowed to do its job and partner with associates and store management. Opinions were respected.. DLPMs were good people who really cared for us. Lots of travel to other stores for support. Computer and CCTV systems are great and updated

Cons

Some floor associates were not productive and allowed to float thru the day lots of times. Not enough associates on the floor to help customers. Fitting rooms were not consistently cleaned out which made LPs job more difficult..

Keep better track of associates' comings and goings. Pay floor associates more.

It's okay-ish, but..

Current Employee - Point of Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Point of Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible shift availability, discounts, sometimes they feed you on busy days and holidays.

Cons

Rude customers, low pay, never enough people on the clock during rush, I hate that they said I have to be able to close multiple nights when I can't.

Get rid of the lanyards, they get stuck in the bags and many workers have nearly choked themselves. Allow cashiers to have water at the register. It's hard to get a chance to go to the water fountain when it's busy. Don't make the stores in smaller towns stay open as late. No one comes in after 8.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - POS Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

When I first got an interview i starting looking up if people like working there. I was terrified because so many people say they absolutely hate it. I love working at Kohls. I live in Illinois and I've worked at Kohls for about a month now. Most those who go there to shop are nice and coupons are pretty easy to figure out. Mostly everyone who works there is extremely nice and open to questions. Plus there's almost always treats in the break room for being 1 in our district. (: Pros definitely outweigh the cons!

Cons

Standing. Nice shoes dont have good support. Kills my back and feet. Again I've worked there for a month now and i have found only one women I don't like working with. (There's always going to be people you don't like though) Some customers (and again it's like this no matter where you work) and bitchy and get mad if they can't just all of their 100 coupons they have. It's only minimum wage which really really sucks. That's the #1 downside. I haven't talked to a manager or anyone about this yet but my hours suck too. They're slowly increasing but they also pretty much have me work weekends and I hate that. One more thing. There's so many people there I personally don't like that. Almost every time I work I meet someone new lol

More evenly spread out days. (Not schedule only weekends) **Increase pay!!**

Assistant Store Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation is great for starting off a career, Senior leadership is strong, Good training

Cons

Work-life balance, Ability to advance into roles other than the stores division, Lack of support / limited staffing ability, Lack of communication at the ASM level, high turnover usually for retail associates

Not a good company to work for and they still used VHS while I was employed there for their CCTV surveillance cameras.

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kohl's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was good and I was able to make my own schedule which was nice. Also, there is very little supervision so I was my own boss.

Cons

Lack of support from upper management, the policies are different in each store and is it a disorganized company to work for. It seemed like there was always some new change from the corporate office and rather than train us properly, they would leave us to figure it all out on our own.

Not to find loopholes in order to terminate someone you simply do not get along with. Provide more support and more than one LP person at each store. Just one person alone can't do everything plus catch all the shoplifters.

Great co-workers and managers, low pay and unpredictable hours

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers and flexible hours. Management treats their employees pretty well.

Cons

Pay isn't great, but it's what you would expect from retail. Hours can be unpredictable at times, in which one week you could be working more than 30 hours and others you'll work less than twelve.

Kohl's should offer more opportunities for advancement.

Awesome Place to work!

Current Employee - District Loss Prevention Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - District Loss Prevention Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Building Great Teams, Rules that make sense, Partnerships that work both ways, and the freedom to be creative

Cons

Worklife Balance, Better Planning of work load

Assistant Store Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great starting salary for twenty somethings right out of college, good start for a first career

Cons

Extremely late hours, have to work six days a week during the holidays, workload is extremely overwhelming.

The store will fall apart if your store manager doesn't set the standards of what the assistant store managers should be doing, store managers need to be more of a leader, not a follower.