Kohl's

2,428 Reviews

Kohl's Chairman, President & CEO Kevin B. Mansell
Kevin B. Mansell
1,040 Ratings

Pros
  • Encouraging work life balance but this can depend on the team you are on (in 86 reviews)

• The employee discount was nice but it didn't make up for anything else (in 188 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance as much as they would like you to believe there is (in 103 reviews)

• Minimum wage is also not enough to be paid for what you deal with (in 120 reviews)

More Highlights

56 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not a good place to build your career

Current Employee - POS Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible schedule, you can easily give away your shift but only if you find someone willing to take it

Cons

Not good pay. They give you like a 10 cent raise every year. And you get hardly any hours.

I was treated with respect

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kohl's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

LP team was allowed to do its job and partner with associates and store management. Opinions were respected.. DLPMs were good people who really cared for us. Lots of travel to other stores for support. Computer and CCTV systems are great and updated

Cons

Some floor associates were not productive and allowed to float thru the day lots of times. Not enough associates on the floor to help customers. Fitting rooms were not consistently cleaned out which made LPs job more difficult..

Keep better track of associates' comings and goings. Pay floor associates more.

Incompetent Management

Former Employee - POS Associate in Plainfield, IL
    Former Employee - POS Associate in Plainfield, IL

I worked at Kohl's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

For the most part, the people that you work with are great. Unfortunately, since the turnover rate is so high there is a distinct separation of cliques. It turns into a old employee vs. new employee separation that can make some people feel uncomfortable.

Cons

I have never worked for a company that allowed its management staff to be so undereducated. I witnessed perpetual managerial incompetence. I am convinced that the assistant store manager (0-2) was at a fifth grade literacy level based on the quality of professional emails that she sent out. Not only was she intellectually challenged, but she was outright rude and placed blame on others for her sheer stupidity. It is rather unfortunate that the company allows such people to be in a position of power.

The admin at the store I worked for was also dreadful. She literally did not know the basics of her job description. Schedules were always messed up and others were constantly having to pick up the slack because she did nothing.

Hire EDUCATED people for managerial positions. It does not matter if they have worked for you for sixteen years if they cannot spell "jewelry" nor have a basic concept of how they should actually do their job. There are too many duds running rampant in upper management.

Very stressful

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and some good managers

Cons

Can't advance in company unless you have a degree, hours very, and you get hours based on how well your liked

They need to stop playing favorites

It's okay-ish, but..

Current Employee - Point of Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Point of Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible shift availability, discounts, sometimes they feed you on busy days and holidays.

Cons

Rude customers, low pay, never enough people on the clock during rush, I hate that they said I have to be able to close multiple nights when I can't.

Get rid of the lanyards, they get stuck in the bags and many workers have nearly choked themselves. Allow cashiers to have water at the register. It's hard to get a chance to go to the water fountain when it's busy. Don't make the stores in smaller towns stay open as late. No one comes in after 8.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - POS Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

When I first got an interview i starting looking up if people like working there. I was terrified because so many people say they absolutely hate it. I love working at Kohls. I live in Illinois and I've worked at Kohls for about a month now. Most those who go there to shop are nice and coupons are pretty easy to figure out. Mostly everyone who works there is extremely nice and open to questions. Plus there's almost always treats in the break room for being 1 in our district. (: Pros definitely outweigh the cons!

Cons

Standing. Nice shoes dont have good support. Kills my back and feet. Again I've worked there for a month now and i have found only one women I don't like working with. (There's always going to be people you don't like though) Some customers (and again it's like this no matter where you work) and bitchy and get mad if they can't just all of their 100 coupons they have. It's only minimum wage which really really sucks. That's the #1 downside. I haven't talked to a manager or anyone about this yet but my hours suck too. They're slowly increasing but they also pretty much have me work weekends and I hate that. One more thing. There's so many people there I personally don't like that. Almost every time I work I meet someone new lol

More evenly spread out days. (Not schedule only weekends) **Increase pay!!**

Assistant Store Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation is great for starting off a career, Senior leadership is strong, Good training

Cons

Work-life balance, Ability to advance into roles other than the stores division, Lack of support / limited staffing ability, Lack of communication at the ASM level, high turnover usually for retail associates

not favored, and not well organized management structure.

Former Employee - Unloader in Wheaton, IL
    Former Employee - Unloader in Wheaton, IL

I worked at Kohl's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

easy part time job experience no benefit..

Cons

very political management structures no benefits..

design less manipulative organization.

Not a good company to work for and they still used VHS while I was employed there for their CCTV surveillance cameras.

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kohl's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was good and I was able to make my own schedule which was nice. Also, there is very little supervision so I was my own boss.

Cons

Lack of support from upper management, the policies are different in each store and is it a disorganized company to work for. It seemed like there was always some new change from the corporate office and rather than train us properly, they would leave us to figure it all out on our own.

Not to find loopholes in order to terminate someone you simply do not get along with. Provide more support and more than one LP person at each store. Just one person alone can't do everything plus catch all the shoplifters.

Great co-workers and managers, low pay and unpredictable hours

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers and flexible hours. Management treats their employees pretty well.

Cons

Pay isn't great, but it's what you would expect from retail. Hours can be unpredictable at times, in which one week you could be working more than 30 hours and others you'll work less than twelve.

Kohl's should offer more opportunities for advancement.