Kohl's

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.0 1,994 reviews

Kohl's Chairman, President & CEO Kevin B. Mansell

Kevin B. Mansell

Pros
  • As a part timer they work well with work life balance in scheduling(in 68 reviews)

• The only positive reason to work at Kohl's is the employee discount(in 163 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance as much as they would like you to believe there is(in 83 reviews)

• Kohl's is essentially a credit card company which also happens to sell clothing(in 98 reviews)

1,994 Employee Reviews

Hectic and not enough pay

POS Associate (Former Employee) Plover, WI

ProsThe employee discount is nice since you can stack some coupons and always get a fixed percentage off. The people I worked with were really fun and we had the opportunity to volunteer for the community.

ConsStarts out at minimum wage and you can only get a raise once a year based off of a performance review. A LOT of emphasis was placed on soliciting the Kohl's charge and emails. Individual stores would compete with others in the area for total credits and emails for the day, week, month etc. and the majority of managers look down on employees that don't have a high enough credits and emails. They would prefer that you badger the customer to open a charge card than to let them have a nice experience at the check out.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess emphasis on credits and emails and more emphasis on making sure the customer has a "GREAT" shopping experience (maybe with a little less R for "request credit" and a little less A for "ask for email"). Just because an employee doesn't have many credits doesn't mean that they are a bad employee. A lot of soliciting depends on the customers' attitude which is basically up to chance.

good company to work for

Prosi like the senior management team

Consi dont like the hard long hours

Strong company, strong relationships built within,.

Area Supervisor (Former Employee) Cherry Hill, NJ

ProsGreat company that is still growing in this company. Most are treated well. Very flexible scheduleing.

Conshours fluxuate week to week. Amount of work expected from the amount of associates, somedays is not realistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Managers are generally not on the same page. Contradictions are constant and expextations are not lead by example-starts at the top!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great job, poor management

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Elizabethtown, KY

ProsAwesome coworkers, flexible hours, great policies. They give you the choice of where, in the store, you'd like to work. They are more than willing to work with you.

ConsThe management doesn't communicate well at all. One manager will tell you to do a certain task one way, and the next manager will tell you that you're doing it wrong for doing it that way. The general manager causes everyone stress. She's usually in a terrible mood, even the other managers stay out of her path. She has no regard for her employees and what kind of day they have had. If she is in a bad mood, she will find something to yell at you for, instead of helping or teaching. Not approachable at all. That's not the way a general manager should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like you expect to be treated. People that feel valued and respected will work better.

BAD!

POS Associate (Current Employee) Yonkers, NY

ProsBest reasons? can't think of many, maybe nice co workers and decent discounts.

ConsMangers are unfriendly, unhelpful and lazy. They mostly stand around all day. Push for credit when there are no customers. Unflexiable with hours. Lets customers get away with anything. Rules constantly change. New managers every other month, Managers will talk down to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect.

Only good for a first job

POS Associate (Former Employee)

ProsHours are flexible when needed, people are friendly. It's not a bad first job to gain work experience, and they do at least pay above minimum wage.

ConsThey are always hiring. The now hiring sign with applications was in the store for my entire six month tenure. This leads to them scheduling new employees over existing ones which leads to fluctuating hours (one week I worked 32, the next 10). Management is only concerned with signing people up for credit cards, and they treat those who are successful at this MUCH better than those who don't. Virtually zero chance for advancement or increases in compensation... People I worked with had been there 10+ years and made the same hourly wage I did as a brand new employee with no prior jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't give daily raises to managers who meet credit goals. They act negatively to those who don't always bring in credit. Pay existing employees better wages as opposed to brining in new people every few weeks.

Not all they claim to be

Technology Analyst (Former Employee) Menomonee Falls, WI

ProsThe people are dedicated and collaborative

ConsManagement touts their work life balance, but the truth is they do not practice what they preach. Under 50 hours per week and you are considered to not be serious about your career.

Store Manager Intern

Store Manager (Former Employee) Auburn Hills, MI

ProsMet great people
    Learned visual merchandising
    Comprehensive virtual training
    Nice intern conference that all interns attended
    Great follow-up Manager in Training Position
    Community service was beneficial

ConsManager wasn't hands-on with all interns
    Degree not needed to perform managerial duties
    Retail hours are not the best
    Communication between corporate and store is limited

Advice to Senior ManagementMonitor manager/intern interaction
    Define responsibilities of manager during the interns stay

good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prostime off, flexible schedule, benefits,

Conslack of promotion from within

Advice to Senior Managementpromote current employees instead of recruiting recent college grads.

I learned a lot from working at Kohls.

Customer Service Area Supervisor (Current Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsThe pros were the available tools to further the knowledge of retail and sales.

ConsThe company values for Kohls seem to be a bit sketchy.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on one on one training with new employees.

Worked for Kohl's? Contribute to the Community!