Kohl's

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Management Intern

Internship (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe jobs allowed for a great opportunity to learn all aspects of retail management. It was a well structured internship, and the company invests good money to ensure the program is beneficial.

ConsThe internship is a full time internship (could be a pro or con depending on your willingness to work). It is 40 hours per week and the schedule changes weekly. It requires some weekend work.

Really good company with great people!

District Loss Prevention Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe people in the company are great to work with and always take the time to help others out. The leadership in the company will always take the time to support their leaders working in the stores.

ConsThere really are no issues at the company that I am aware off.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a conservative company that is all about placing things on reports. Know excel and know operations because if it happens at Kohl's it is on a report some place. Be ready to talk to your information and you will do great at this company.

Very good company, lots of work but pays off.

Houston, TX

ProsUpward mobility is endless, benefits are great. Tons of support and training, lots of stores so thus plenty of places to advance.

ConsUnrealistic expectations, credit solicitation is brutal. Upper management can seem as if they are just there to whip the backs of store teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom the top down, apply a more realistic expectation or pay for the rescources.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't work for this company.

Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsLaid back. All associates are really nice and easy company to work for.

ConsThey cut your hours a lot and very little pay. All they have you do is fold clothes and hang clothes from people in the dressing room. I worked on the floor and register and I couldn't ever get my area cleaned because I was always being called to the register for back up then they wouldn't let me leave until my area was cleaned up. Misses/woman's, toys, and kids worst areas to work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nicer to your associates. Don't take advantage of them.

Constant cutbacks

Houston, TX

ProsEvery year resources are cut back to make up for the constant loss of sales in the company. Headcount is reduced every year, management team is reduced, payroll is reduced, expectations however always increase. This is standard operating procedures for most businesses, but Kohl's constantly tries to compare themselves to Macy's, Nordstrom etc instead of accepting their reputation comparable to Ross... Kohl's is Ross more than it's Macy's, stop denying it and expecting world class service for an average $$ per unit of $6. Insane delusional leadership...

ConsToo many to list here.. see above

Advice to Senior ManagementAdmit you are Ross and a discounter and not a premium destination. You sell $6 shirts to people with incomes 20k-50k... Lower your expectations if you are going to constantly cutback resources. A 15 million dollar store has : 2 cashiers and 3 floor associates... really??!!

BAD PLACE TO WORK!!!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe place is well organized, benefits is okay, some customers are extremely nice an friendly, coworkers are nice, well some of them. paid every week is great

ConsWhen I was getting interviewed the interviewer pacifically said " I dont care if your grandmother die and you have to attend to her funeral, you have to be here" They expect you to put Kohls before your self. they want you to do sooo much but only pay 7.25

Advice to Senior ManagementRAISE PAY!!!!! we work like slaves

Like any place there are goods and bads

Houston, TX

ProsI was a store manager for 2 years and for the most part really enjoyed working for my district manager(the 3 I had). I was allowed to make independent decisions and they were always there to support when needed. The team worked hard to do a good job.

ConsShoestring payroll budget with unrealistic expectations. The level of expected focus on aquiring credit cards was a constant nuisance. They got a new regional manager a year or two ago who was a total stiff and a liar. Corporate HR backs up the hourly team 100%, but if you need backing for improper treatment good luck. Highly limited advancement potential past store manager, unless you want to live in Wisconsin.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide your store's with the resources they need to keep a great looking store.

It's retail and I have been with the company for 6 years and that's way too long

Jewelry, Cash Office and Customer Service (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsIt has flexible hours and ok discounts

ConsI have worked for two stores, and I have gone through 6 managers. If you are a college student, high school student or need extra cash this is the job for you. It is definitely not a place to make a career out of.

Advice to Senior Managementtrain, get management that is not lazy and hire from with in.

It was ok. A good part time job for a high school or college student. The pay sucked, but was better than fast food.

POS Associate (Former Employee)

ProsEmployee Discount, Relaxed, Flexible, Co workers

ConsLimited hours, Some late nights, Pay, Scheduling

Great Customer/Associate Culture, Work/Life Balance, No Payroll

ProsWork Life Balance
    HR Friendly
    Every other weekend off

ConsWay too little payroll to get things done
    Pay for middle managers not high enough to attract top talent

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to add more payroll to have keep store neat and customers taken care of.
    Consider raising minimum wage for associates to get better talented associates

Worked for Kohl's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kohl's reviews and ratings in Houston, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kohl's CEO Kevin B. Mansell. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Kohl's employees.