Kohl's

2,416 Reviews

Kohl's Chairman, President & CEO Kevin B. Mansell
Kevin B. Mansell
1,039 Ratings

Pros
  • Encouraging work life balance but this can depend on the team you are on (in 86 reviews)

• The employee discount was nice but it didn't make up for anything else (in 188 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance as much as they would like you to believe there is (in 103 reviews)

• Minimum wage is also not enough to be paid for what you deal with (in 120 reviews)

More Highlights

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Management Intern

Former Employee - Internship in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Internship in Houston, TX

I worked at Kohl's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The jobs allowed for a great opportunity to learn all aspects of retail management. It was a well structured internship, and the company invests good money to ensure the program is beneficial.

Cons

The internship is a full time internship (could be a pro or con depending on your willingness to work). It is 40 hours per week and the schedule changes weekly. It requires some weekend work.

Its a good place to work. Management is great and approachable.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly and willing to teach you what you do not know. The hours are flexible and management is always willing to accommodate your hours of availability.
    The associates discount is good too.

Cons

The pay is low- you are paid minimum wage.

I genuinely think that you are doing a good job. But it would be nice if you reviewed the pay.

It's not for everyone

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like the schedule flexibility.If you need time off they generally give it to you. It's a good place to work. It's retail so you deal with customers and coupons and stuff but the management is pretty cool. They like to promote from within so if you want to move up you can.

Cons

The pay is terrible and getting a raise is a joke. There's always a lack of people so it makes it harder to get things done and if there's work for like 4 people and there's only one person to do it. It is a retail store so it's good for certain types of people. I'm currently in school so it works for me but if you really need a job to support yourself and others, you're not gonna get there.

Really good company with great people!

Current Employee - District Loss Prevention Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - District Loss Prevention Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people in the company are great to work with and always take the time to help others out. The leadership in the company will always take the time to support their leaders working in the stores.

Cons

There really are no issues at the company that I am aware off.

This is a conservative company that is all about placing things on reports. Know excel and know operations because if it happens at Kohl's it is on a report some place. Be ready to talk to your information and you will do great at this company.

Constant cutbacks

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Every year resources are cut back to make up for the constant loss of sales in the company. Headcount is reduced every year, management team is reduced, payroll is reduced, expectations however always increase. This is standard operating procedures for most businesses, but Kohl's constantly tries to compare themselves to Macy's, Nordstrom etc instead of accepting their reputation comparable to Ross... Kohl's is Ross more than it's Macy's, stop denying it and expecting world class service for an average $$ per unit of $6. Insane delusional leadership...

Cons

Too many to list here.. see above

Admit you are Ross and a discounter and not a premium destination. You sell $6 shirts to people with incomes 20k-50k... Lower your expectations if you are going to constantly cutback resources. A 15 million dollar store has : 2 cashiers and 3 floor associates... really??!!

Very good company, lots of work but pays off.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Upward mobility is endless, benefits are great. Tons of support and training, lots of stores so thus plenty of places to advance.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, credit solicitation is brutal. Upper management can seem as if they are just there to whip the backs of store teams.

From the top down, apply a more realistic expectation or pay for the rescources.

Don't work for this company.

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Kohl's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Laid back. All associates are really nice and easy company to work for.

Cons

They cut your hours a lot and very little pay. All they have you do is fold clothes and hang clothes from people in the dressing room. I worked on the floor and register and I couldn't ever get my area cleaned because I was always being called to the register for back up then they wouldn't let me leave until my area was cleaned up. Misses/woman's, toys, and kids worst areas to work in.

Be nicer to your associates. Don't take advantage of them.

BAD PLACE TO WORK!!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Kohl's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The place is well organized, benefits is okay, some customers are extremely nice an friendly, coworkers are nice, well some of them. paid every week is great

Cons

When I was getting interviewed the interviewer pacifically said " I dont care if your grandmother die and you have to attend to her funeral, you have to be here" They expect you to put Kohls before your self. they want you to do sooo much but only pay 7.25

RAISE PAY!!!!! we work like slaves

Like any place there are goods and bads

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was a store manager for 2 years and for the most part really enjoyed working for my district manager(the 3 I had). I was allowed to make independent decisions and they were always there to support when needed. The team worked hard to do a good job.

Cons

Shoestring payroll budget with unrealistic expectations. The level of expected focus on aquiring credit cards was a constant nuisance. They got a new regional manager a year or two ago who was a total stiff and a liar. Corporate HR backs up the hourly team 100%, but if you need backing for improper treatment good luck. Highly limited advancement potential past store manager, unless you want to live in Wisconsin.

Provide your store's with the resources they need to keep a great looking store.

It's retail and I have been with the company for 6 years and that's way too long

Current Employee - Jewelry, Cash Office and Customer Service in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Jewelry, Cash Office and Customer Service in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It has flexible hours and ok discounts

Cons

I have worked for two stores, and I have gone through 6 managers. If you are a college student, high school student or need extra cash this is the job for you. It is definitely not a place to make a career out of.

train, get management that is not lazy and hire from with in.