Kohl's

Kohl's Chairman, President & CEO Kevin B. Mansell

Kevin B. Mansell

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent.

POS Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kohl's part-time for less than a year

ProsFun environment
Friendly co-workers
Customers treat you respectfully
Clean store and bathroom facilities

ConsManagement is terrible
Extremely low pay
No hours

Demeaning.

POS Associate (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Kohl's part-time for more than a year

ProsYou get Paid and an occasional employment appreciation day and extra percent off so the lack of money you get from the min. wage POS job you can spend right back in the store again :/

ConsCustomers yell at you, no support from management, if you don't sell credit cards, you lose your hours and like they are giving you any money to start with, it forces you to quit because it's not worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll the events with your staff is nice to show appreciation once in a while but why don't you do it everyday and stop yelling at employees on the floor because your sales are low and you are getting yelled at too.

young company with lots to learn

ASM (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kohl's full-time for more than 3 years

Prosare allowed to do anything to help a customer. good pay for management

ConsHigher pay for outside talent, continuous added workload without any extra resources.constant new programs with little direction

Advice to Senior Managementtake your time in growing company, growing too fast and can not be monitored. Leadership rarely in stores now compared to earlier days. Too many markdowns learn how to distribute merchandise better to stores no need to have hundreds of the same items that are not selling and not enough of things that do. Can not start locating merchandise without controlling what comes into stores.

Doing Lots with Little

Store Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Kohl's full-time for more than a year

ProsJob stability and a somewhat predictable work/life balance for a retail management position. The company is also respected in the community and by its customers, making a management position a positive on one's resume. Employee discounts are generous and frequently enhanced for special events, making clothing one's family very affordable. OK, it's not a great reason to work there, but it helps.

ConsStores are run with very little payroll for the amount of space, merchandise and business that must be managed. Employee quality can also be tough as the company pays hourly employees minimum wage to start with meager annual increases. I had candidates get up and leave interviews when they heard the starting rate - which is not negotiable - on more than one occasion. The ideal job candidate is someone who doesn't need the money and is looking for something to do to get out of the house and will appreciate the generous employee discount (think: a spouse with a strong primary income in the family).

Managers are placed under extreme pressure to produce new credit applications. This leads to wide-spread cheating that is a survival strategy for many. The program is supposed to be this: apply, get approved and you get a discount. The reality: apply and get a discount. By the way, the employee getting the credit account gets a small cash payout for the application. Everyone wins by turning a blind eye to the flexible ethics of this program. The customer gets a discount, the employee gets a little money and the management team avoids heat.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your research and find out what's really happening in the stores. The culture around credit creates a rotten core that spreads cancer-like to other decisions (email solicitation? customer service scores? maybe...)

The more you know...the more you need to get out of there

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kohl's part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis job is good for a high school student/college student, but it is not good for those who are seeking full time with a family to feed. You get an employee discount, and can use some coupons right along with your employee discount. Holiday pay is okay, but holiday pay depends on the days you work. The associates that work here are very cool people.

ConsThe pay is very low and the hours here suck. You spend the majority of your time fixing up your department, and it becomes stressful especially during busy days where they never schedule enough people to work on the floors. Eventually, they will choose whether to throw people in your department to help you or not to help you. The only time you will receive help is when the store is not at all busy, and they constantly throw people in your department that is already done because the closing managers wants to "get out on time". Yet when the store is a mess you receive no help at all, and end up getting out 1:00 in morning. You will be lucky if you get out early, but that rarely happens. There are a whole lot of scheduling conflicts because of favortism on the job. There are employees that never closed, and if they did they never had to recover and got a free pass to leave as soon as the store closes leaving the other employees to clean up the mess for the next hour or two. The worst part about closing is when the morning employees never do anything, and leave excessive amount of returns for you to do during your "five to six hour shift". There should not be an excuse as to why those who work the morning (an 8 hour shift) could not maintain their department. There are times when I come in the morning and I always make sure that I fix up my department and collect and do all the returns before the night associates come in that way closing wouldn't be as stressful for them as it is for me when I close on nights. They never seem to have cashiers on the registar and are constantly calling the floor associates to help ring up the items. Once you are done in your department you have go and help out another department, and the whole store has to be done before you can leave. The customers are often rude, and if you say something to them they are so quick to run and tell the management about how "unkind" you were to them. Ugh, the insanity that goes on in this place. They cut back on your hours and you may end up working one day a week, and that is not enough to help you survive for a day....everything about this place is beyond stressful.

Advice to Senior Managementhire a better management team

Not the best place to work

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kohl's part-time for less than a year

ProsMost employees are very friendly and fun to work with. Work itself isn't terrible, though the workload can become overwhelming and tedious.

ConsBad hours: Being that the store closes at 11 and 10 on most days, employees can expect to be at the store for up to 2 or 3 hours after it closes for customers. This can mean getting out at 1:30am and possibly having to work the next morning. Part-time is not really part-time as employees are given way too many hours. There is absolutely no work/life balance and you can expect to have very little spare time while working weekends and holidays. While some people are looking to work as much as possible, this probably isn't a good job for you if you are a college student who has other responsibilities to take care of.

Management: Most of the supervisors and managers are fair and understanding of employees, but some are overly demanding and unfair. Too much is expected of employees who only work for minimum wage. There is a lot of favoritism as management treats certain people better than others. For example, some are never required to work closing while others get terrible hours. Also, nice workers get taken advantage of, so you really need to stick up for yourself before they make you do the work of 2 or 3 people. Managers can be unprofessional and phony as they try to be your friend one minute and act disrespectfully the next. They speak down to employees as though the employees are nobodies.

Work: Management often does not schedule enough workers which results in people having to do the work of multiple people. Once you finish your section, you have to help in other sections. I am an extremely hard worker and I always get my work done, yet I feel like no one appreciates it. To me, I feel like hard work does not pay off because the stress will drive you crazy and you are not rewarded at all. Instead of a "thank you" or a "good job", you get a "now do this..." So is the life of a retail worker I guess.

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule more associates to work to avoid, especially on busy days when there are tons of clothes to put back during closing. Also, treat everyone the same way and acknowledge the hard workers.

Worked for Kohl's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kohl's reviews and ratings in New York, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kohl's CEO Kevin B. Mansell. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Kohl's employees.