Kohl's Reviews

Reset
2.6
Kohl's Chairman, President & CEO Kevin B. Mansell
Kevin B. Mansell

Pros
  • I had a great SM who really valued work/life balance (in 86 reviews)

• Employee discount is a great benefit (in 188 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance is none existence (in 103 reviews)

• s a good thing that the minimum wage for my State is (in 120 reviews)

1. A very friendly & energetic environment! :)

Former Employee - Customer Service Area Supervisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Area Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at Kohl's

Pros

The company instills great values & customer service to everyone in the environment!

Cons

Low pay & long holiday hours.

Advice to Management

To keep managers who instill the proper values happy & pay them correctly.

2. great company to build experience

Current Employee - Prod Dev in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Prod Dev in New York, NY

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

treat employees extremely well through salary, benefits, etc. Large corporation allows for cross-departmental movement which is rare

Cons

An old-school company focused on structure and set guidelines when seeking promotions/career growth. Some positions require long hours and hard to achieve work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Aim to understand each associate and how he/she best succeeds. With a large company and variety of generations, each associate requires different materials, environments and guidance for success.

Hypocrite managers ruin it for everyone.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

most of the co-workers care about being a team.

Cons

Like my title says, the (some new, some old) management are a bunch of hypocrites. They will give someone who does their work, finishes on time, who gets along with their team, whose team stands up for them, never has any issues with their work an extremely difficult time & yet promote people who sleep at their desks, come in late, take over an hour lunch, leave early, don't finish their work, watch videos all day, never lend a hand, whose own brand team members have complained COUNTLESS times about them to managers in charge, etc. but the manager of these lazy, unproductive people says "I don't know what to do".
    They stress for you to "speak up" & "have a voice & opinion" but from what I've seen with my own eyes if it differs from management then you are blacklisted, reprimanded, condemned even. They also say they're a "family environment"...the mob maybe. Every year their survey results are deplorable & yet they do nothing about it. They put special emphasis on work/life balance yet there are people working there until 10-11 every night. One of the reasons being their managers do not provide help. They also emphasize caring about their employees but I've been witness to someone with a disability & management made them feel as small as a sunflower kernel for not being able to do certain things.
    There was a mass exodus of employees during throughout all departments my last year there. Some just never showed up to work one day, some gave very little notice, some had to go on disability for stress & some just plain walked out. That alone should tell you something.
    It's a darn shame because there really are some great people there but.....they need to more closely examine managers & senior managers.

Advice to Management

Re-think your new VP's & senior managers. Senior VPs should, once in a while, reach out to their employees alone & not just take the word of managers who do A LOT of covering up & painting everything rosy. When your own VP tells everyone "there's no upward mobility for you" then you have no choice but to exit.

Corporate NYC Design Studio

Former Contractor - Product Development Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Product Development Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Kohl's as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved my team, they were wonderful and very friendly people. I was given responsibilities and ownership over my tasks and responsibilities and they welcomed my opinions and gave me a chance to try to improve things. Work-life balance was great, hours were not crazy.

Cons

Sometimes there are a lack of work to do, promotions might not come very quickly or timely - it may take a while.

6. Decent.

Current Employee - POS Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - POS Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment
    Friendly co-workers
    Customers treat you respectfully
    Clean store and bathroom facilities

Cons

Management is terrible
    Extremely low pay
    No hours

7. Demeaning.

Former Employee - POS Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - POS Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get Paid and an occasional employment appreciation day and extra percent off so the lack of money you get from the min. wage POS job you can spend right back in the store again :/

Cons

Customers yell at you, no support from management, if you don't sell credit cards, you lose your hours and like they are giving you any money to start with, it forces you to quit because it's not worth it.

Advice to Management

All the events with your staff is nice to show appreciation once in a while but why don't you do it everyday and stop yelling at employees on the floor because your sales are low and you are getting yelled at too.

8. young company with lots to learn

Current Employee - ASM in New York, NY
    Current Employee - ASM in New York, NY

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

are allowed to do anything to help a customer. good pay for management

Cons

Higher pay for outside talent, continuous added workload without any extra resources.constant new programs with little direction

Advice to Management

take your time in growing company, growing too fast and can not be monitored. Leadership rarely in stores now compared to earlier days. Too many markdowns learn how to distribute merchandise better to stores no need to have hundreds of the same items that are not selling and not enough of things that do. Can not start locating merchandise without controlling what comes into stores.

Doing Lots with Little

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Kohl's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job stability and a somewhat predictable work/life balance for a retail management position. The company is also respected in the community and by its customers, making a management position a positive on one's resume. Employee discounts are generous and frequently enhanced for special events, making clothing one's family very affordable. OK, it's not a great reason to work there, but it helps.

Cons

Stores are run with very little payroll for the amount of space, merchandise and business that must be managed. Employee quality can also be tough as the company pays hourly employees minimum wage to start with meager annual increases. I had candidates get up and leave interviews when they heard the starting rate - which is not negotiable - on more than one occasion. The ideal job candidate is someone who doesn't need the money and is looking for something to do to get out of the house and will appreciate the generous employee discount (think: a spouse with a strong primary income in the family).

Managers are placed under extreme pressure to produce new credit applications. This leads to wide-spread cheating that is a survival strategy for many. The program is supposed to be this: apply, get approved and you get a discount. The reality: apply and get a discount. By the way, the employee getting the credit account gets a small cash payout for the application. Everyone wins by turning a blind eye to the flexible ethics of this program. The customer gets a discount, the employee gets a little money and the management team avoids heat.

Advice to Management

Do your research and find out what's really happening in the stores. The culture around credit creates a rotten core that spreads cancer-like to other decisions (email solicitation? customer service scores? maybe...)

The more you know...the more you need to get out of there

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This job is good for a high school student/college student, but it is not good for those who are seeking full time with a family to feed. You get an employee discount, and can use some coupons right along with your employee discount. Holiday pay is okay, but holiday pay depends on the days you work. The associates that work here are very cool people.

Cons

The pay is very low and the hours here suck. You spend the majority of your time fixing up your department, and it becomes stressful especially during busy days where they never schedule enough people to work on the floors. Eventually, they will choose whether to throw people in your department to help you or not to help you. The only time you will receive help is when the store is not at all busy, and they constantly throw people in your department that is already done because the closing managers wants to "get out on time". Yet when the store is a mess you receive no help at all, and end up getting out 1:00 in morning. You will be lucky if you get out early, but that rarely happens. There are a whole lot of scheduling conflicts because of favortism on the job. There are employees that never closed, and if they did they never had to recover and got a free pass to leave as soon as the store closes leaving the other employees to clean up the mess for the next hour or two. The worst part about closing is when the morning employees never do anything, and leave excessive amount of returns for you to do during your "five to six hour shift". There should not be an excuse as to why those who work the morning (an 8 hour shift) could not maintain their department. There are times when I come in the morning and I always make sure that I fix up my department and collect and do all the returns before the night associates come in that way closing wouldn't be as stressful for them as it is for me when I close on nights. They never seem to have cashiers on the registar and are constantly calling the floor associates to help ring up the items. Once you are done in your department you have go and help out another department, and the whole store has to be done before you can leave. The customers are often rude, and if you say something to them they are so quick to run and tell the management about how "unkind" you were to them. Ugh, the insanity that goes on in this place. They cut back on your hours and you may end up working one day a week, and that is not enough to help you survive for a day....everything about this place is beyond stressful.

Advice to Management

hire a better management team

Not the best place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most employees are very friendly and fun to work with. Work itself isn't terrible, though the workload can become overwhelming and tedious.

Cons

Bad hours: Being that the store closes at 11 and 10 on most days, employees can expect to be at the store for up to 2 or 3 hours after it closes for customers. This can mean getting out at 1:30am and possibly having to work the next morning. Part-time is not really part-time as employees are given way too many hours. There is absolutely no work/life balance and you can expect to have very little spare time while working weekends and holidays. While some people are looking to work as much as possible, this probably isn't a good job for you if you are a college student who has other responsibilities to take care of.

Management: Most of the supervisors and managers are fair and understanding of employees, but some are overly demanding and unfair. Too much is expected of employees who only work for minimum wage. There is a lot of favoritism as management treats certain people better than others. For example, some are never required to work closing while others get terrible hours. Also, nice workers get taken advantage of, so you really need to stick up for yourself before they make you do the work of 2 or 3 people. Managers can be unprofessional and phony as they try to be your friend one minute and act disrespectfully the next. They speak down to employees as though the employees are nobodies.

Work: Management often does not schedule enough workers which results in people having to do the work of multiple people. Once you finish your section, you have to help in other sections. I am an extremely hard worker and I always get my work done, yet I feel like no one appreciates it. To me, I feel like hard work does not pay off because the stress will drive you crazy and you are not rewarded at all. Instead of a "thank you" or a "good job", you get a "now do this..." So is the life of a retail worker I guess.

Advice to Management

Schedule more associates to work to avoid, especially on busy days when there are tons of clothes to put back during closing. Also, treat everyone the same way and acknowledge the hard workers.

Showing 10 of 3,206 reviews