Kohl's Reviews

3.1
2,273 Reviews

Kohl's Chairman, President & CEO Kevin B. Mansell
Kevin B. Mansell

Pros
  • Encouraging work life balance but this can depend on the team you are on (in 84 reviews)

• The employee discount was nice but it didn't make up for anything else (in 179 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance as much as they would like you to believe there is (in 99 reviews)

• Kohl's is essentially a credit card company which also happens to sell clothing (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a great experience to work at Kohl's.

Current Employee - Seasonal Shoe Associate in Tinley Park, IL
    Current Employee - Seasonal Shoe Associate in Tinley Park, IL

I have been working at Kohl's as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

One gets to engage with the customers and have fun getting the work done in a fast pace environment.

Cons

When one is working a seasonal position, he or she may not get a chance to get a part time regular position.

Try to offer the seasonal employees regular part-time employment after the season if over.

Good first job

I worked at Kohl's

Pros

The best part of my job were the people I worked with and the friendships that have lasted over the years.

Cons

I worked here for 4 years as a cashier and always seem to be going through the transition of a manager. Probably had 9 different managers over the course of my time there.

Your Job is what you make it

Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Kohl's full-time

Pros

We are asked to do our best....if you do it...no worries. We know our schedule 2 weeks out so it makes it easy to schedule around your personal life. Very friendly environment, something a little different happens everyday. Employee discount is a great benefit.

Cons

I do feel that corporate does not allow enough hours for certain stores for heavier sales days/truck days. There is not any room in the schedule for someone to call out. So if that happens it does make it difficult to complete all task for that day. However, management does know this and just ask everyone to pull together and help. Again, the job is what you make it. Starting salary is way to low to obtain & retain quality part time help.

Be more understanding with the seasoned employees an their needs. They have been the ones that have stuck it out and been there through all the new hires and watched them come and go. Celebrate them sometime with a special pick your perfect schedule week. If done in advance this could be worked out....and what a motivator!!!!

Great company

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Kohl's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people , training and happy environment

Cons

the hours are not easy

It is a fast paced and exciting atmosphere for retail lovers.

Current Employee - Executive Store Management in Arvada, CO
    Current Employee - Executive Store Management in Arvada, CO

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very flexible with scheduling hours, the management team will work with you based on individuals needs. Exciting atmosphere with many people willing to help if you are having a problem.

Cons

Promotions are not very quick and are very competitive in my opinion. It often does not go to the best worker, it is based mainly upon how nice they are to management.

Listen to your associates more and offer more incentives that can be implemented immediately.

So far, so good

Current Employee - Cashier in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great working experience, great co-workers (varies on your personality), I'm having fun interacting with customers and making them save a bunch on what they purchase, fun job (for me at least). The managers are really nice and helpful and basically can take your breaks (not lunch) whenever as long there is someone else in your department. The computer for the cashier is really simple and easy to understand once you're taught

Cons

I guess some strict managers, definitely not fond of most of the dress codes, but that's what happens when you work; so not a big deal.

I guess they can also help train their new associates than other co-workers, because it would help if the help is coming from them, so we know what they expect from us

Great First Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Strongsville, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Strongsville, OH

I worked at Kohl's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Kohl's fosters an environment in which you, as a sales associate, are able to truly help the customer. All the other associates were very pleasant and helpful. I came on during the summer, a traditionally slow period in fashion retail, but I was afforded many hours (approximately 20-30 a week). Though the employee discount is only 15% you are able to add any additional sales (like the 15/20/30% deal they have every month) for a higher total percentage off the merchandise. You do receive paid training, and the job is fairly straightforward.

Cons

It is sometimes frustrating to push the Kohl's Charge. Though it is a handsome deal, I do not like to push. The policy is that you should ask each customer without a Charge to open one at least three times during the transaction.

Additionally, I was between my first and second year at university when I was hired. The managers expected me to come back and work every weekend while I was living on campus an hour away. When I tried to quit, the management claimed misunderstanding and decided to keep my on anyway. However, they never scheduled me again, so I e-mailed the store manager that she might as well terminate me.

My store, at least, was fairly well run.

Generally good experience.

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate

I worked at Kohl's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have large discounts once in a while, not micromanaged.

Cons

Compensation very low, benefits, not allowed to wear tennis shoes but on your feet all day, benefits not great

I would suggest making the store more team-oriented.

Great environment, no communication with management

Current Employee - Asdociate in Peoria, AZ
    Current Employee - Asdociate in Peoria, AZ

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The environment of the work associates is great. Management is great as well. The shopping perks.

Cons

No health benefits for part-time. Majority of time management does not communicate well.

Have a better way to communicate daily/weekly plans & goals.

Good company to work for.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kohl's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hands on mgmt. Positive environment.

Cons

Retail hours can be challenging.

Pay table could use another evaluation.