Kohl's

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.0 1,991 reviews

Kohl's Chairman, President & CEO Kevin B. Mansell

Kevin B. Mansell

Pros
  • As a part timer they work well with work life balance in scheduling(in 68 reviews)

• The only positive reason to work at Kohl's is the employee discount(in 163 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance as much as they would like you to believe there is(in 83 reviews)

• Kohl's is essentially a credit card company which also happens to sell clothing(in 98 reviews)

1,991 Employee Reviews

Very good experience

ProsEnjoy working with the people and culture. The work is fast paced but also very rewarding. The people make the challenges fun.

ConsFor a well established company, there can be an immaturity in processes which slows down the decision making process.

Assistant Store Manager

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCompensation is great for starting off a career, Senior leadership is strong, Good training

ConsWork-life balance, Ability to advance into roles other than the stores division, Lack of support / limited staffing ability, Lack of communication at the ASM level, high turnover usually for retail associates

pos

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnice talking with customers, good schedule.

Consa little stale, customers were rude.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great environment, my second family

Store Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsFlexible schedule, opportunities to move up, incentives to perform and rewarded excellence, work life balance

ConsThe pay isn't as high as at other store to begin with

Not bad

Loss Prevention Associate (Current Employee) Monroe, OH

ProsThe pay is reasonable. And the hours aren't harsh. I must say the benefits are much better than A LOT of places.

ConsLack of communication leads to confusion among associates at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet associates know EVERYTHING they need to know at the start of every day. Don't let it wait.

Great Company

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Chaska, MN

ProsSome stores are run better than others... A LOT depends on management! Company is doing well, so jobs are always available with opportunites for advancement if you work hard and show interest. Very community oriented, made it a great place to feel proud of working at.

ConsPay is okay, not always up to date with competitors. Labor dollars always being reduced because of 'efficiencies' created by coorporate that don't work in every store. Makes getting work completed tough in alloted time. Salaried (ASM's or SM's) usually put in WAY MORE than the required '45' hour weeks!

Advice to Senior ManagementStore teams get creative and come up with fantastic ways to celebrate working at Kohls. Most do this without any help (minimal funding) from corporate.

Fabulous training, even better experiences

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsI was supported every step of the way when it came to my career with Kohl's. The leadership invested time to develop me based on my strengths as well as my passion's.

ConsI excelled in Stores and wanted to move to a corporate position. All positions have to go through your store manager and they rarely give you a chance to even interview for positions that would be a step down for you and you are over qualified for. After training you store side they want to keep you store side at least until you hit Store Manager level.

Bosses are friendly, fun to work at but low pay.

POS Sales Associate (Current Employee) Grandville, MI

ProsThe bosses and workers are funny and easy to get along with. They are very flexible with hours and time off. The customers are usually super nice also. The discounts are great and the break room!

ConsThe pay is low and our shifts can be all over the place.

It was very good.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) West Des Moines, IA

ProsThe people you work with.

ConsToo much workload not enough staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your associates.

Overall a pretty good place to work

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Menomonee Falls, WI

ProsMost of the time work hours are flexible and work like balance is good. Leadership encourages training and movement within the organization.

ConsEmphasis seems to be on the careers associates just out of college. Organization seems to reorganize on a regular basis. Reorganizations and movement opportunity can lead to getting a new manager a fairly regular occurrence.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess focus on short term wins and more focus on future vision, although recently that seems to be swinging in the right direction.

Worked for Kohl's? Contribute to the Community!