Kohl's

2,519 Reviews

Kohl's Chairman, President & CEO Kevin B. Mansell
Kevin B. Mansell
1,073 Ratings

Pros
  • Encouraging work life balance but this can depend on the team you are on (in 86 reviews)

• The employee discount was nice but it didn't make up for anything else (in 188 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance as much as they would like you to believe there is (in 103 reviews)

• Minimum wage is also not enough to be paid for what you deal with (in 120 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall it is the perfect job for someone who is only seeking a part time job.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in New Port Richey, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in New Port Richey, FL

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lenient schedules. You get paid vacation even if you are part time. Very easy going environment. There are many different jobs you can do so you never get bored of one task.

Cons

Some managers don't pay attention to the "little guys" meaning that regular sales associates and pos employees are treated differently, giving the advantage to employees that are higher up on the ladder.

Part time associates are just as equal as full time employees. Years established does not automatically make you a well informed employee and everyone has the right to advance themselves at kohl's

Fantastic City to work for!

Current Employee - Police Officer in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Police Officer in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fair, caring, compassionate, genuine, safety minded.

Cons

None at the current time.

Continue to invest in your employees and the citizens of Joliet.

Very pleasant

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Kohl's

Pros

The people and the discounts. My co-workers are great!

Cons

I believe starting is a little low for the job your doing.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Area Supervisor
    Former Employee - Area Supervisor

I worked at Kohl's

Pros

Able to move with fairly quickly. I started off part time and within three years I was already management and on my way to store management level. People are great and policies allow you to have room to make your own decisions within your work environment.

Cons

Because I did take the MIT route I was passed over several times for assissant management positions to people who had been there for less than a year, they have their MIT training a backwards!

Favorites aren't fair within the workplace!

Very good employer

Former Employee - Kohls Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Kohls Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Kohl's

Pros

The manager and coworkers were really nice and friendly we all had a chemistry so we all worked well together. The discounts are really good. They try to give a lot of hours I used to easily get at least 30 hours a week but sometimes it would be more or less just depends. They have a lot of great benefits and like to praise their employees for doing good. They also like to cross train you in different areas of the store so you have more experience

Cons

Kohls have a lot of entitled customers that think they deserve discounts even when we don't have them. The pay is very bad it's minimum wage and yearly you can only get a won cent raise at the most. The management is always pushing for a lot of credit and rewards.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at Kohl's

Pros

Great work schedule, learning opportunities.....

Cons

Not so good pay scale, lack of promotions opportunities....

Great exposure to high level management.

I worked at Kohl's

Pros

great culture, work life balance, and dedicated managers

Cons

medium opportunity for growth and outside of Milwaukee

My Kohl's experience has helped me develop and improve my quality characteristics and skills.

Current Employee - Kohls Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Kohls Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Kohl's

Pros

I like the flexibility of my working hours which I can change for life events along to have a life-work balance. Having promotions that are available frequently is very beneficial, I simple love the opportunities that Kohl's has to offer. Having the ability to continuously work with co-workers and customers has improved my charisma as well as self confidence and even has helped me understand many qualities about other individuals in an amazing way.

Cons

The compensation is not what it should be along with the physical work that you do. Kohl's is a very popular and busy place that drives a high level of business, at least in my location, with that being said we are constantly playing catch-up with our duties which is very stressful at times. Another con would be the lack of quality training and the duration of training. Black Friday is a huge con, no one should have to be forced to work on that day let along on Thanksgiving!

Spend more time training new and existing associates and ensure that they really do understand, meaning put them in practice scenario's so you get the right outcome. Customers are important which means you want the associates to be knowledgeable and helpful for our important customers.

I really love all of my co-workers and managers, the pay and hours just suck.

I have been working at Kohl's

Pros

I love all of my co-workers and managers.

Cons

The customers are some of the worst to deal with in the retail world, and the first few months of the year you get no hours.

Keep the good new people, and have more opportunities for good old hires to move up in the company for more pay.

Great Progressive Company

Current Employee - Sales Associate, Receiving Associate, Overnight Pricing in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

No micromanaging, can take the initiative, respects and appreciates employees, active in local communities/causes, encourages self improvement and development. Also, they are big on hiring veterans and older workers. I had a veteran coworker become an assistant manager in just a couple of months (his first day on the floor, customers thought he was the store manager!).

Cons

Low pay, hours changed for receiving on truck days from 6 am to 4 am. Some problems in management turnover that I was not accustomed to.

Corporate, please raise the pay as the workers are so diligent and loyal, and with the increase in living expenses, it makes it so hard to keep people that want to stay.