Kohl's

3.0 1,950 reviews

Kohl's Chairman, President & CEO Kevin B. Mansell

Kevin B. Mansell

1,950 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "As a part timer they work well with work life balance in scheduling"
    in 60 reviews
  • "The only positive reason to work at Kohl's is the employee discount"
    in 156 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is no work life balance as much as they would like you to believe there is"
    in 76 reviews
  • "It's minimum wage pay which is basically slave labor for the amount of work they expect you to do"
    in 93 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I like working at Kohl's because of the people i work with and the products we provide as well as the friendly customers

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsWhat i like about working here is the people I work with. They are friendly and genuinely care about you and they encourage you to grow. We have great products and I really like the special discounts they give staff and the bonuses we receive for signing up new credit card members.

ConsSome of the challenges we face at times is a shortage of staff to cover the floor which means that those that are on the registers or floor have to cover multiple areas. This shortage sometimes reflects negatively when a customer is trying to find something in a department and the person they need has been called to a register to help with checkout.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are several people I work with that have kohl's as a second income because their main job doesn't pay enough to cover bills. I feel that if kohl's were to change the base rate of pay it would retain more of the loyal employees and they wouldn't have as large of a turn over and shortage of staff as they do.

awesome

Prosdiversity, great work life, dependable supervisors

Consdifficult customers, promotions, salary, hours

Kohl's

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Cottage Grove, MN

ProsGreat discount. Good work environment.

ConsStanding on feet all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Job!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great First Job

Sales Floor Associate (Current Employee)
    Succasunna, NJ

ProsEveryone is SO friendly - employees AND customers. The vast majority of people (at least at my store) are very nice. Coworkers and supervisors are very reasonable. They ask if I take my breaks and how I'm doing, if I need anything, etc. Very clean environment, everyone is pretty amicable and easy to work with. Expectations are realistic; just do what they hired you to do. Every single time I work, I am greeted by at least one person and am told "good night" or "have a good one" by at least one person. Very good flexibility with scheduling. I was able to keep my job even while in school. My availability was accommodated no problem. I feel valued and appreciated, not to mention safe and welcomed. Overall a great place to work.

ConsIt can be very overwhelming to be the only person in a department, if it's a busy day. The floor can be a mess, the dressing rooms overflowing, recovery full, and then freight to go out, and you're still expected to Smile and Say Hi, and attend to customers' needs. But, that happens in pretty much every retail job, so you just have to keep a good attitude and try to bear with it.

Working at Kohs as an Area Supervisor or Executive

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat pay (area supervisors and executives), always opportunities to advance, they never lay people off due to company restructuring, very easy to get promoted as long as you are a dedicated and hard worker, mainly promote from within

ConsManagement works as hard as floor associates, very long process to term difficult associates that are hurting the company

sales associate

Kohls Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Humble, TX

Prosflexible schedule, employee discount, clean well li stores,

Consyou are worked to death

Great company if you want to work in retail

Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat associates, worked my way up.

ConsToo many bosses, less people on the floor

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the people on the floor, get yourself out of the office and work with the associates. Unload a truck, keep the floor clean, then you will see how hard most associates work

Great, but need improvment

POS Associate (Current Employee)
    Westland, MI

ProsI have the opportunity to work with really great and entertaining individuals. I'm lucky enough that my manager is very help and paitent. There are many opportunities to advance in the company as long as you're a good and relaible employee.

ConsWhile you can advance in the company it takes much more time to do so than it would in a smaller corporation. Also for a large department store the pay is quite lack luster. While many store will start at $7.60 or more Kohl's only starts at $7.45 so beware if you are looking for a job with more money

It was ok, wasn't there long

POS Associate (Current Employee)
    Tallahassee, FL

ProsPaid weekly.Good hours for part time

ConsShould give more task to sales associates it gets old quick. So boring.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore development in employees to move up

Thanks for the Experiences

Merchandise Analyst (Former Employee)
    Menomonee Falls, WI

ProsPay, benefits and corporate environment were a huge plus when looking to establish roots. The 2 years here were well spent.

ConsA lot of moving parts and sometimes you can get lost? I left a month ago because I found another place with better growth. About the same compensation. I would have stayed if there was better advancement opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementI had fun!

Worked for Kohl's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kohl's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kohl's CEO Kevin B. Mansell. All 1,950 reviews posted anonymously by Kohl's employees.