Kohl's Reviews

3.1
2,248 Reviews

Kohl's Chairman, President & CEO Kevin B. Mansell
Kevin B. Mansell

Pros
  • Encouraging work life balance but this can depend on the team you are on (in 83 reviews)

• The employee discount was nice but it didn't make up for anything else (in 176 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance as much as they would like you to believe there is (in 98 reviews)

• Kohl's is essentially a credit card company which also happens to sell clothing (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

Your Job is what you make it

Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Kohl's full-time

Pros

We are asked to do our best....if you do it...no worries. We know our schedule 2 weeks out so it makes it easy to schedule around your personal life. Very friendly environment, something a little different happens everyday. Employee discount is a great benefit.

Cons

I do feel that corporate does not allow enough hours for certain stores for heavier sales days/truck days. There is not any room in the schedule for someone to call out. So if that happens it does make it difficult to complete all task for that day. However, management does know this and just ask everyone to pull together and help. Again, the job is what you make it. Starting salary is way to low to obtain & retain quality part time help.

Be more understanding with the seasoned employees an their needs. They have been the ones that have stuck it out and been there through all the new hires and watched them come and go. Celebrate them sometime with a special pick your perfect schedule week. If done in advance this could be worked out....and what a motivator!!!!

It is a fast paced and exciting atmosphere for retail lovers.

Current Employee - Executive Store Management in Arvada, CO
    Current Employee - Executive Store Management in Arvada, CO

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very flexible with scheduling hours, the management team will work with you based on individuals needs. Exciting atmosphere with many people willing to help if you are having a problem.

Cons

Promotions are not very quick and are very competitive in my opinion. It often does not go to the best worker, it is based mainly upon how nice they are to management.

Listen to your associates more and offer more incentives that can be implemented immediately.

Great environment, no communication with management

Current Employee - Asdociate in Peoria, AZ
    Current Employee - Asdociate in Peoria, AZ

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The environment of the work associates is great. Management is great as well. The shopping perks.

Cons

No health benefits for part-time. Majority of time management does not communicate well.

Have a better way to communicate daily/weekly plans & goals.

Great First Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Strongsville, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Strongsville, OH

I worked at Kohl's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Kohl's fosters an environment in which you, as a sales associate, are able to truly help the customer. All the other associates were very pleasant and helpful. I came on during the summer, a traditionally slow period in fashion retail, but I was afforded many hours (approximately 20-30 a week). Though the employee discount is only 15% you are able to add any additional sales (like the 15/20/30% deal they have every month) for a higher total percentage off the merchandise. You do receive paid training, and the job is fairly straightforward.

Cons

It is sometimes frustrating to push the Kohl's Charge. Though it is a handsome deal, I do not like to push. The policy is that you should ask each customer without a Charge to open one at least three times during the transaction.

Additionally, I was between my first and second year at university when I was hired. The managers expected me to come back and work every weekend while I was living on campus an hour away. When I tried to quit, the management claimed misunderstanding and decided to keep my on anyway. However, they never scheduled me again, so I e-mailed the store manager that she might as well terminate me.

My store, at least, was fairly well run.

Good job

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Kohl's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People are really nice and it's easy

Cons

Pay is not great and with retail comes weekends

Pay more for talent. Minimum wage is always going to bring minimum quality associates

Generally good experience.

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate

I worked at Kohl's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have large discounts once in a while, not micromanaged.

Cons

Compensation very low, benefits, not allowed to wear tennis shoes but on your feet all day, benefits not great

I would suggest making the store more team-oriented.

Challenging, Fast-paced, and Rewarding

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Kohl's full-time

Pros

Kohl's does a good job of making sure their employees are engaged. They request feedback on the work environment through surveys of their employees at least twice per year. I enjoy working in the marketing department as we have a lot of freedom to try new approaches and ideas.
    Everything you need is on-site. Two gourmet cafes, a bank, dry-cleaning, wellness center which includes a gym, doctors office, and pharmacy, concierge services, and on-site day care.

Cons

In certain areas, employees may not be recognized for their hard work. I've noticed that your experience at Kohl's is really dependent upon if you have a good manager. We see frequent re-organizing of the team structures. Communcation is a challenge due to the size of the company. Certain teams work harder than others. Some areas are very high pressure.

Back-fill positions quicker. When someone leaves, the position is rarely filled in a timely manner. This causes a lot of stress to the employees who have to pick up additional work.

My overall experience has been great, but not since working in Wisconsin.

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, a positive atmosphere. I've met a lot of good people working here. Discounts are wonderful. Usually, a shift goes by quickly! My managers are very supportive.

Cons

Customers can be a challenge, demanding better discounts, etc. Hours, especially during Christmas, can be brutal. Kohls says they value a good family life but when you don't leave the store during one or two in the morning, your personal life suffers!

Leadership should not expect perfection, especially when there are customers in the store. It is impossible to keep a clearance area clean when here are customers growing clothes on the floor. There also should be better balancing of inventory.

Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Sales Associate (Customer Service, MJM, Jewelry, POS) in Round Lake, IL

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked at Kohl's for a little over a year, and I am very happy with it. I am working this job while in college and the opportunities I have gotten here made it possible for me to get my first apartment. I am trained in all departments, and am currently being considered for a department lead position.
    The best things about working at Kohl's is that management cares about the employees on a personal and professional level, there are a lot of ways that employees are recognized for the things they accomplish, proper training is usually given, it is important for you to get the breaks you are entitled to and for you to be happy with the area you are working in. The discounts are great, there are a lo of other hard working, but friendly associates. There are a lot of opportunities to move up within the company or be trained for a new department, the things that are expected of each associate is explained thoroughly, willing to work with your availability and if you want more/less hours, they will work with you. Every day that is requested off is given. Yearly pay raises. Encouragement from management and other associates.

Cons

Closing the store is always a challenge, because of the shape the store is in after being shopped in all day. Normally there is only 1 (maybe 2) people to close a department and sometimes they only get 4 hours, which seems like a lot, but when you have to check and keep up with fitting rooms, and zone the entire department (while it is being shopped), it is a lot of pressure sometimes for one person to handle. After the holidays, there aren't a lot of hours available, it is rare that they can hire on full time people, but if you can work your way to the top and prove to the managers that you care about your job at Kohl's, they will work hard to move you up.

I love working at Kohl's, and my managers at this location have made a work-life balance possible for me. It would really improve the store and our ability to provide great customer service if more hours were given for training for departments and for projects, such as detail zoning denim or merchandising.

Great internship program!

Former Employee - Retail Management in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Retail Management in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Kohl's as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Paid Well
    -Great experience
    -Upper management responsibilities

Cons

-Hours
    -Weekend shifts
    -Sometimes doing tasks I felt didn't benefit my learning/growth

Make sure to let your interns do all of the executive tasks. Having them clean/merchandise all the time (which didn't happen to me, but I know it did to other interns) makes them feel like they're wasting their time!