Kohl's

2,514 Reviews

Kohl's Chairman, President & CEO Kevin B. Mansell
Kevin B. Mansell
1,071 Ratings

Pros
  • Encouraging work life balance but this can depend on the team you are on (in 86 reviews)

• The employee discount was nice but it didn't make up for anything else (in 188 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance as much as they would like you to believe there is (in 103 reviews)

• Minimum wage is also not enough to be paid for what you deal with (in 120 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall it is the perfect job for someone who is only seeking a part time job.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in New Port Richey, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in New Port Richey, FL

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lenient schedules. You get paid vacation even if you are part time. Very easy going environment. There are many different jobs you can do so you never get bored of one task.

Cons

Some managers don't pay attention to the "little guys" meaning that regular sales associates and pos employees are treated differently, giving the advantage to employees that are higher up on the ladder.

Part time associates are just as equal as full time employees. Years established does not automatically make you a well informed employee and everyone has the right to advance themselves at kohl's

Fantastic City to work for!

Current Employee - Police Officer in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Police Officer in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fair, caring, compassionate, genuine, safety minded.

Cons

None at the current time.

Continue to invest in your employees and the citizens of Joliet.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at Kohl's

Pros

Great work schedule, learning opportunities.....

Cons

Not so good pay scale, lack of promotions opportunities....

Great exposure to high level management.

I worked at Kohl's

Pros

great culture, work life balance, and dedicated managers

Cons

medium opportunity for growth and outside of Milwaukee

My Kohl's experience has helped me develop and improve my quality characteristics and skills.

Current Employee - Kohls Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Kohls Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Kohl's

Pros

I like the flexibility of my working hours which I can change for life events along to have a life-work balance. Having promotions that are available frequently is very beneficial, I simple love the opportunities that Kohl's has to offer. Having the ability to continuously work with co-workers and customers has improved my charisma as well as self confidence and even has helped me understand many qualities about other individuals in an amazing way.

Cons

The compensation is not what it should be along with the physical work that you do. Kohl's is a very popular and busy place that drives a high level of business, at least in my location, with that being said we are constantly playing catch-up with our duties which is very stressful at times. Another con would be the lack of quality training and the duration of training. Black Friday is a huge con, no one should have to be forced to work on that day let along on Thanksgiving!

Spend more time training new and existing associates and ensure that they really do understand, meaning put them in practice scenario's so you get the right outcome. Customers are important which means you want the associates to be knowledgeable and helpful for our important customers.

I really love all of my co-workers and managers, the pay and hours just suck.

I have been working at Kohl's

Pros

I love all of my co-workers and managers.

Cons

The customers are some of the worst to deal with in the retail world, and the first few months of the year you get no hours.

Keep the good new people, and have more opportunities for good old hires to move up in the company for more pay.

A very friendly & energetic environment! :)

Former Employee - Customer Service Area Supervisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Area Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at Kohl's

Pros

The company instills great values & customer service to everyone in the environment!

Cons

Low pay & long holiday hours.

To keep managers who instill the proper values happy & pay them correctly.

Good!

I worked at Kohl's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is really nice,
    Managers are great
    Very flexible schedule

Cons

I was seasonal, so when I was laid off no manager informed me that I was at the end of my employment.
    Seasonal, so no benefits

Great Progressive Company

Current Employee - Sales Associate, Receiving Associate, Overnight Pricing in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

No micromanaging, can take the initiative, respects and appreciates employees, active in local communities/causes, encourages self improvement and development. Also, they are big on hiring veterans and older workers. I had a veteran coworker become an assistant manager in just a couple of months (his first day on the floor, customers thought he was the store manager!).

Cons

Low pay, hours changed for receiving on truck days from 6 am to 4 am. Some problems in management turnover that I was not accustomed to.

Corporate, please raise the pay as the workers are so diligent and loyal, and with the increase in living expenses, it makes it so hard to keep people that want to stay.

Great pay, iffy equipment operators and supervisors.

Former Employee - Equipment Operator in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Equipment Operator in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Kohl's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work environment is great. The break room was huge with plenty of microwaves and refrigerators and vending machines along with a designated outdoor smoke area and plenty of eating space. The work is very simple and training is comprehensive.

Cons

During seasonal employment they hired a lot of people who lacked common sense and that had a propensity for accidents and fights. Also these same people spent more time on their phones than doing their jobs. The supervisors and problem solvers had attitudes consistently.

Hire better people.