Kohl's

2,674 Reviews

Kohl's Chairman, President & CEO Kevin B. Mansell
Kevin B. Mansell
1,142 Ratings

Pros
  • Encouraging work life balance but this can depend on the team you are on (in 86 reviews)

• The employee discount was nice but it didn't make up for anything else (in 188 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance as much as they would like you to believe there is (in 103 reviews)

• Minimum wage is also not enough to be paid for what you deal with (in 120 reviews)

More Highlights

Working for the Machine at Kohl's

Former Employee - Truck Unload and Visuals
    Former Employee - Truck Unload and Visuals

I worked at Kohl's

Pros

Well you get a considerable discount around christmas but, that's about all the perks to this crappy job.

Cons

I worked at Kohls for about 2 years and was never late and never called in sick. My first review was stellar and in all there wisdom decided to give me a 16 cent raise from minimum wage. I worked all areas of kohls but mainly worked the truck un-load and visual support. They constently cattle prodded there employees to get there work done and gave few insentives or hours. Christmas time I received 30 to 38 hours a week but after that they didn't put me on the schedule for 2 weeks and was shocked to see the next time on was 4 hours for one week. They were the worst company I've ever worked for! Crappy job, terrible hours and no benefits. So do yourself a favor and don't waste you time like I did thinking it will turn into a full time gig (It wont) Kohls cares about there main people " the big wigs" and they get huge bonuses and fly around in there private jets to visit stores...Don't waste you time working there...

Stop Treating your employees so terrible! They have families too.

Don't work here

Former Employee - Cashier in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kohl's

Pros

you get free food during holidays

Cons

Short breaks
    Dreadful hours
    Time goes slow
    CREDIT

Just a part-time gig

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Frankfort, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Frankfort, IL

I have been working at Kohl's

Pros

Other associates are nice to work with.

Cons

Management is bad, play favorites all the time. No appreciation for working well by yourself, often work alone on busy normal days. Hours are constantly cut or not kept fair with others' hours, even when available for many hours a week. Store policies itself are difficult to work with and make working with the customers a pain.

Loss Prevention Supervisor

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Supervisor in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Supervisor in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy Job not very challenging.

Cons

Job is basically centered only on catching shoplifters. Poor Scheduling, Lack of communication, Lack of business partnership with LPM and DLPM, Regional Leaders lack professionalism. Lack of professionalism.

Change with the times and go after what really affects the bottom line of the business. Change focus from externals to internals and operational controls. The company losses far more off the bottom line from these avenues than with the external piece. Eliminate the LPM role as it is unwarranted overhead as any competent DLPM can manage without and control their business. Challenge the DLPM to manage their District and be more hands on with the training and development of the LPS. Institute a senior LPS role for stretch assignments and utilize for Internal Investigations.

Do NOT work here.

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Customer Service, MJM, Jewelry, POS) in Dover, DE

I worked at Kohl's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The location is convenient to my college.

Cons

I have not been scheduled for work in 3 weeks and the management hasn't said anything to me about it. They don't care. I have been working there for almost 4 years and I still only made $8.62. Management is rude when it comes to how they talk to employees. I repeat, do NOT work here unless you want to be scheduled once a month.

Shut this place down, there is no growth for employees.

The inmates are running the asylum

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Kohl's

Pros

It's inside, out of the cold, snow, and rain.

Cons

Everyone does the same job differently - - and then tells you what the last person told you was incorrect.
    Hours were EXTREMELY inconsistent....19 hours one week, 4 the next.....

While the customer should always be made to feel right, they aren't. The consumer should never dictate the outcome of a transaction - and they do at Kohl's. The system is worked day in and day out.
    Training needs to be consistent and from good employees - not those who "don't care" or don't normally work in that department.
    Managers should actually check in with new hires - take them aside, off the floor, where they can express any opinions/concerns they may have.

Kohls associate

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Exton, PA

I worked at Kohl's

Pros

Discount, nice management, some employees were nice but the ones who are there for many years seem miserable

Cons

Boring. Walk around all day putting clothes away from fitting room. I dreaded work every day. Hours are ridiculous during Holidays.

Be nicer to employees. Give us more tasks. Walking in circles all day is horrible

Stingy company wringing the life out of their employees.

Current Employee - Operations Area Supervisor
    Current Employee - Operations Area Supervisor

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Does community work, growing company.

Cons

Slim to none benefits, not enough supplies or hours, unrealistic expectations. Corporate has extremely unrealistic expectations for the truck process times and merchandising, implemented new time consuming procedures but without the corresponding hours to make it happen. Old equipment, it is like pulling teeth to get anything new and what you get is about as useful. No more vacation for part time employees.

Stagnant management teams, please consider making it mandatory to shift your middle managers (store level) around to encourage growth or new ideas. People are so entrenched and factions form, making it impossible to get things done. You've done as much with your executives, try it on the store level.

Experience was good my first 4 yrs. After that, crappy management from store level up to corporate has gone to hell. Has one star only because this site wouldn't let me leave it blank.

Current Employee - Freight Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Freight Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Only pro is very short commute from home. Saves on gas

Cons

Management is terrible. No communication, extreme favoritism, although they tout flexible scheduling... doesn't happen. Vacation time taken away from pt workers and no benefits anymore. When life throws you a curve ball, they will not work with your scheduling. You're given an ultimatum. Either work what they want or be fired. Have to be available 24/7, or again, you're given an ultimatum. Yet they expect you to live on 8 hrs or less a week. #365 hulen has lost so many wonderful people due to the current screwed up management. Store is going to hell in a hand basket. People not trained, veteran associates being cut instead of utilized. I could go on and on. Not worth the time people. Currently seeking other employment myself.

Bring back pt worker benefits and vacation. We deserve and earned it. We are the ones that earn your paycheck for you cuz ya'll sure as hell ain't doing anything for it.
    I advise you to also embrace the veteran associates that have the years of knowledge and care for the company instead of running us off for cheaper labor that could give 2 craps about the job.
    There needs to be more than 5 damn full time positions as well.
    Let's try firing management that has 3 or more complaints. Happens to us does it not?

customer service

I worked at Kohl's

Pros

good general manager that was always helpful and willing to listen if you need ed some thing

Cons

too much expected of you and not enough people on the floor

add some more people