Kohl's Reviews

3.1
2,177 Reviews

Kohl's Chairman, President & CEO Kevin B. Mansell
Kevin B. Mansell

Pros
  • Encouraging work life balance but this can depend on the team you are on (in 77 reviews)

• The employee discount was nice but it didn't make up for anything else (in 173 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance as much as they would like you to believe there is (in 97 reviews)

• Kohl's is essentially a credit card company which also happens to sell clothing (in 108 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company!

Former Employee - Customer Service Area Supervisor  in  Hingham, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Area Supervisor in Hingham, MA

I worked at Kohl's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life Balance, flexible hours, management not required to work every weekend.

Cons

Very busy, at times not enough time to train and recruit new employees.

Take the time to teach and coach new employees and supervisors.

Great company, but limited advancement opportunities and lower pay than some competitors

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Supervisor
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Supervisor

I have been working at Kohl's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic work/life balance, managers take an active role in development, great company culture, great employee discounts. Great company if you want to own your current role and go home at the end of the day without carrying it with you.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities.. The company has consolidated districts twice in the two years I have been here, eliminating numerous upper-level positions. Despite showing great interest in employee development, the number of positions has drastically decreased. Pay is lower than some other companies for the same roles. .

Overall a great part-time job to work at!

I have been working at Kohl's

Pros

Flexible hours, pay is reasonable for a part time job,employee discount is awesome, meet a lot of people, cross-trained, training is good.

Cons

There is not a lot of room to grow with the company, holidays are spent working instead of with family, very messy fitting rooms.

Offer more training to move up within the company

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Friendly co-workers, pay is min

I have been working at Kohl's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work-life balance is good. I like my co-workers we all work as a team. The company gives to kids and organizations, which is wonderful.

Cons

The pay is to low. Benefits are no longer available to part time, which is basically everyone.

The pay needs to be raised that is why the workers don't stay.

Kohl's is dedicated to work/life balance with it's employee's and makes working around a changing schedule convenient and easy.

Current Employee - Store Administrative Assistant  in  West Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Store Administrative Assistant in West Jordan, UT

I have been working at Kohl's part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great working environment! It's like hanging out with your friends. Every now and then you have your not so pleasant assignments but overall it's easy work and it's like being able to shop all day.

Cons

The workload can get a little intimidating around weekends and holidays but usually they bring in extra help. The worst part is during the slow times of the year when there is not much workload and hours are reduced.

It would be nice if there was a way to be more consistent with hours assigned to employee's. And bring back part time medical benefits.

Does NOT promote from within the company

I worked at Kohl's full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good discounts during employee shop days

Cons

DOES NOT promote from within the company. Retail associates can't advance into corporate positions even if they are qualified with 2 college degrees and 9 years with the company. Worst hours and management is so unprofessional. EXTREMELY rude customers.

Learn how to do your job and show your appreciation towards your employees. We make you look good, not the other way around. ADVICE TO CORPORATE: Learn your customer segment, their lifestyle, and what their kids like to wear - then maybe you will sell more and have less in the clearance. Also, some of your BEST AND BRIGHTEST employees are at store level looking to advance and improve your company - we are not "scum on the bottom of your foot" but rather we know more about your customers and where the flaws are in the company than you do!

Gender Bias, Women are Denied equal pay, benefits, and status by being paid hourly; Bullying by Staff

Former Employee - Fashion Stylist  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Fashion Stylist in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Kohl's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun working with models on photo shoots

Cons

"Core Values" not employed by staff. No training program. No upward mobility. No equal payor benefits for women. Bullying.

Equal pay and benefits for women. Actually follow through with mentoring.

Disappointed with the lack of sophistication of Kohl's HR practices.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager-Corporate  in  Menomonee Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager-Corporate in Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Kohl's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the benefits such as having an on-site day care and clinic were great. Being such a large organization, however, the everyday practices were quite unsophisticated.

Cons

The biggest challenges involved working with the higher levels of HR within the organization. Their level of sophistication and professionalism is very poor. There is no trust among employees that HR will ever be a partner. If this organization truly wants to compete in the future, it must change its HR practices.

Replace the three upper levels of HR with outsiders from other organizations with more strategic background in HR and ability to partner. It amazed me how unsophisticated these folks were.

I have been a sales associate at Kohl's for over a year

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate  in  Yuba City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Yuba City, CA

I have been working at Kohl's part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Its a chance to make some money
    -Other associates are very fun and friendly
    -Meet new people

Cons

- Crazy hours, some weeks you will work 30 hours, others you will work 4 or even none at all, (i have been unscheduled for up to 2 weeks straight), which has left me unable to pay my bills or even buy some food for the week
    -They say they want to help advance you in the company, but do nothing about it when you ask how
    -If you have to call in, no matter the reason, you will see punishment for it by getting your hours cut the very next week
    -No possible way to get on a normal sleeping schedule (you could work a closing shift at 11 30, and be scheduled to come in at 5 the next morning)
    -Understaffed all the time, yet my store has 95 employees, and they keep hiring more so hours get spread even thinner
    -Extra money made for the store is supposedly for "more payroll hours", but us floor associates see no bounce back in our hours at all. Keep in mind the we usually go above our target goal to make every night
    -I personally have applied for at least 5 supervisor positions, and have only been interviewed once. (I have the knowledge and ability to work, and i have worked, in every department; truck, merchandise, ad-set, POS, customer service, and even jewelry.)
    -I am a big guy and sometimes i feel like the only reason I'm still employed is because I can lift heavy things (I am an above proficient worker, who deserves to be looked at as that, not as just a piece of muscle who is only good for lifting heavy things)

Hire less people, schedule experienced workers more, stop acting like you care about floor associate advancement, actually care about your workers advancement and show us you care

Be careful who you trust

I worked at Kohl's

Pros

Decent salary and time off benefits. Loved most of my co-workers

Cons

If the store manager doesn't like you they can say anything to get rid of you. Mine ruined my life and career and the district manager only listens to the manager. No hours to get work done therefore be prepared to work 12-16 hour days as a manager

Start caring about the assistant managers. They are the ones doing all the work to make the store manager look good.

Worked for Kohl's? Contribute to the Community!