Kohl's

2,366 Reviews

Kohl's Chairman, President & CEO Kevin B. Mansell
Kevin B. Mansell
1,024 Ratings

Pros
  • Encouraging work life balance but this can depend on the team you are on (in 84 reviews)

• The employee discount was nice but it didn't make up for anything else (in 179 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance as much as they would like you to believe there is (in 101 reviews)

• Kohl's is essentially a credit card company which also happens to sell clothing (in 114 reviews)

More Highlights

Do not work there !

I worked at Kohl's

Pros

Discounts, flexible schedule, paid time off

Cons

Preferential treatment with department heads

Fun to work as a cashier, but low pay.

Former Employee - Cashier in Colma, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Colma, CA

I worked at Kohl's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

good place to work at, I had some awesome managers that would help you anytime you had an issue and would teach you everything needed to have a smooth day at work.

Cons

For part-time you very little hours and low pay. no benefits for part-time either, so this is mainly a good job for someone that needs a little cash in college.

advice for management would be to keep up the coupons and % off, that is the best way to attract customers.

Promising Future

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company is headed in the right direction. Strong management that has outlined achievable goals for the future that will allow the company to succeed. Management is open to hearing new ideas and trying new things.

Cons

Disconnect between B&M and e-commerce. Need stronger communication between teams. Currently, each side doesn't understand the other's workload and this has led to frustration and feeling that associates aren't appreciated.

Great part time job

I have been working at Kohl's

Pros

flexible schedule, great discount, easy hours

Cons

store is messy, sometimes rude customers

It was a great experience to work at Kohl's.

Current Employee - Seasonal Shoe Associate in Tinley Park, IL
    Current Employee - Seasonal Shoe Associate in Tinley Park, IL

I have been working at Kohl's as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

One gets to engage with the customers and have fun getting the work done in a fast pace environment.

Cons

When one is working a seasonal position, he or she may not get a chance to get a part time regular position.

Try to offer the seasonal employees regular part-time employment after the season if over.

Associate

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Kohl's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good as part-time job
    Good work environment

Cons

Min wage
    Work could be boring at times

More growth for entry-level

Great Company, Hard to Advance

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff is friendly and generally pleasant to work with. They are very willing to train an associate that shows interest and will work with your schedule and interests. There are good benefits for full-timers and part-timers who have been there 12 months or more. The employee discount is a nice perk. I love that the company is energy and resource conscious and encourages stores and employees to participate in community service events.

Cons

The store is frequently understaffed, so the associates do a lot of fast paced work for low wage. Soliciting credit is a major aspect of the job. There are very few full-time associates and it is difficult to advance within the store.

It's not great, but certainly not the worst job I've had in comparison.

I worked at Kohl's

Pros

You can be pretty flexible with your schedule. This was perfect for me when I was attending college. Also, other employees (at least in my time there) were pretty welcoming to new faces and show you the ropes.

Cons

While I was there they paid the absolute baseline minimum wage. There was barely any training before they throw you out onto the floor. The 30 minute lunch break was just too short–45 mins would have been much better.

They're very picky about your clock-in time. You had to clock in EXACTLY at 9AM, for example. Not even 8:59AM was acceptable. Waiting in a line at the clock almost guarantees that you'll be late and if you're just a minute late, you get written up.

And as this was my first job in retail, I soon learned that the clientele can be very disrespectful, especially during the holidays. Personally, the pay is just not worth he stress and frustration.

Please train your employees better. The only way I survived is because someone took me under their wing and showed me how to do things around there. Your employees deserve much more respect than is given to them as retail positions are extremely stressful.

Seasonal Retail for Kohls

Former Employee - Fine Jewwlry Sales in Spring Hill, FL
    Former Employee - Fine Jewwlry Sales in Spring Hill, FL

I worked at Kohl's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere at Kohls is pretty fun. I love having current music playing while working. It seems to really help you keep moving. The managers I worked with were personable and approachable. They had food and small promotions for the employees during the overnights and stressful holiday sales periods.

Cons

The number one problem I had with Kohls is the rate of pay and the expectations they have in exchange for their $8.50 an hour. We worked Black Friday, till 2 am, and varied 24 hour shifts with very little differential. Most employees during the holiday season open a Kohls charge if they didnt already have one, and spend alot of their $8.50 an hour on Kohls merchandise for Christmas presents, giving back most of what they've earned. Also, your told with perfect attendance, volunteering and being on time, you have a chance at full time employment after the holidays. Dont hold your breathe. Barely 2 out of the 20 plus hired were retained, and they received less than 15 hours a week after the holiday season. The 2014 season they are opening on Thanksgiving at 6pm.

Please pay your employees a fair working wage of at least $10.00 an hour. You have alot of expectations for the McDonalds pay rate.

Family

Current Employee - POS Associate in Staten Island, NY
    Current Employee - POS Associate in Staten Island, NY

I have been working at Kohl's as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The best aspects of working here is the relationships you gain with your coworkers. Its a really relax atmosphere as long as you know when to kick it into the next gear and get out of cruise.

Cons

Boring after a while. Fixing the store is a complete pain.

Doing great just the attitudes on some of the managers are alittle immature.