Kohler

Kohler Reviews

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
3.3

Kohler Chairman and CEO Herbert V. Kohler Jr.
Herbert V. Kohler Jr.

Pros
  • Good benefits and flexible working time (in 9 reviews)

• Kohler is a great product and the relationships built are incredible (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • very little training or advice from upper management (in 11 reviews)

• Not much analysis goes into decision making in strategic sourcing (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

A Massive, Dysfunctional Corporate Dinosaur Bound for Extinction

I worked at Kohler full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was good, and the benefits were pretty good as well. There is always some form of training taking place and there appears, within some divisions, to be some commitment to, or reinvestment in, employees.

Cons

A soul-crushing, morale-killing wasteful behemoth of corporate bureaucracy and nepotism; A culture where everyone works in fear of chairman Herbert V Kohler, and in so doing refuse to challenge old ideas,or embrace new ones, and where employee trust and empowerment is checked at the door when you join the company, regardless of what you are disingenuously promised by their HR staff.

The dysfunction and hubris within this organization is so entrenched, there is really nothing that one can say or do to address it. It's astounding a company so old and so large functions the way that it does.

Not what they claim to be for an international company at all.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Kohler full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Unfortunately there is nothing to say here except that it taught me what not to look for in a company and never to judge a book by it's cover is a very true phrase.

Cons

1. Very scared management. Decisions take a VERY VERY VERY long time to be made
    2. management change what they say in seconds when they are in trouble.
    3. Pay is below average of the market
    11. Everything is centralized
    12. No trust in people
    13. Lack of appreciation
    14. Caliber of people being hired is not up to standard

can go on, but i think this is enough

Enough Lying.

they cannot make up their minds

Current Employee - Sales/Interior Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales/Interior Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Kohler as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

beautiful furniture, nice location. high end clients.

Cons

very scared management. I had over 9 interviews with them. everytime they would say by end of the week they will make up their minds. The next week, I would get another call and yet another interview with another manager. Total of 9 interviews and two personality tests. I was told that my exam numbers were through the roof . I was told that everyone in the chain of management loved talking to me. Then came the last person. A manager by the name of joe. Combative and rude in nature. The interview went from cordial to plain rude. he was trying hard to find problems within the resume and corner me in an unconfortable way. I had been told there are several well qualified candidates beside me, yet two weeks later, they still have the employment add on again.
      My take. the retail store is very close to the showroom at PDC location and does not make their quotas. Clients going to both locations and sales people fighting over the rights of who owns the sale. I know within the last 6 months, they have brand new staff including managers. They still work their comuters through DOS system. This is 2014 come on people.
    All indications are that the venture is not working out for them and the company may close that location. I might add, among all the managers I had interviewed with such as Regina, Kirck , Ursila ( yes you will get to know them all if you decide to apply, some times 3 interviews in a row) they were all class act professional except the last, joe guy. I think he is young and green in what he was doing. He will learn more as time goes by. At the end, I contacted the area manager and asked that my name to be taken off their list since they still were not able to make a decision.
    How they work:
    they offer 5% commission. in order to make a 60K anual salary, you have to sale at least 1.2 Million yearly.( about 100K a month . NO WAY FROM THAT OCATION IS THAT POSSIBLE) they require you both being on the showroom floor and go out and bring clients in. ( how that is physically possible, I do not know.) you get paid AFTER the merchandise is delivered and they get paid from the client. Being that all their furniture is custom and they usually have 3-4 months delivery time on them. you will not see your commission on that sale for minimum 6 months time.

MAKE UP YOUR MINDs

NSSSo longer a N

Former Employee - Meat Seafood Coordinator in Kohler, WI
    Former Employee - Meat Seafood Coordinator in Kohler, WI

I worked at Kohler full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some great coworkers who worked hard

Cons

It's as if the business is left to die a slow agonizing death with a lack of capital being put back into the business in any effort to compete. The position included some all encompassing store responsibilities and impromptu delivery expectations that are virtually unheard of in a position bearing the the job title comparatively to any other business of this type.

The rules are so many that they become constraining to effectively to the job

This is the worst job I have ever had, They took away our Vacation this year!

Current Employee - WSO- Warehouse Forklift Loader in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - WSO- Warehouse Forklift Loader in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Kohler full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The money is good, but no pay raise for 3 yrs. I like some of the lower management, I enjoy loading trucks with a fork lift.

Cons

They treat us like dirt, force us to work 6 12 hour days a week, upper management doe's not care or treat us with respect.

Get rid of the warehouse supervisor, start treating us better.

Dishonest and corrupt. Just a horrible place to be.

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Kohler, WI
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Kohler, WI

I worked at Kohler full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not many. Products are well crafted.

Cons

Management is just awful. At all levels of the company. Everybody operates in fear (HVK) and if you are not the "chosen employee" your career will go nowhere. Management excels at labeling employees and putting them in a box. Never moving anybody up the ladder because they have determined that you are not capable of doing anything other than your current position. HR is bloated and causes too many barriers to real success. HR is not employee friendly. If you confide in them they will notify your supervisor immediately and tell them everything.
    WARNING: If you value your career, this is not the place for you. Better think twice.

Not that this advice matters becuase Kohler will never change but here you go. The people you have working for you matter. Turnover is very high for a reason. People do not like being treated poorly and they will leave. You can replace them but consider the cost. It is now a culture of contempt. Wakeup and drop the ego.

Sauk Technologies and the Kohler Conduct Con

Former Employee - Temp in Saukville, WI
    Former Employee - Temp in Saukville, WI

I worked at Kohler full-time

Pros

mediocre wage - equal to industry standard for the area

Cons

Everything! Glassdoor will not allow (remove) a proper review of this Company, Sauk technologies) which is owned by Kohler. They make power generators here. Internal Culture is extremely poisonous. Supervisors lack the knowledge of the machines and skills used to make parts, but you have to go to them when something isnt correct only to be sent to someone who may know. Those people dont know because they dont run your machine or products. They have a written culture of ethics but its just that, written not practiced. Half the workers come from a temp agency, if you are one of those, understand the term "At Will" employment and remain on your guard! Probably the best way I can say it so the post will not get removed. Also understand what the Temp Agency you work for policy is and Kohler/Sauktech because if you ever do bring up a "concern" you could find yourself on the end of a angry phone call with someone saying you have no right to call Human Resources. So again, understand the term "At Wii" more than any handbook or what any person says in a meeting about coming forward with a concern, we dont discriminate.

Management doesnt listen and dont care so why take the time to enter anything here. Its a manufacturing company that makes tons of dollars on manufacturing. They should follow their policies and and cfocus more on the Life, Balance part of thee Work - Life - Balance spiel on the wall.

Run Away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kohler, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kohler, WI

I worked at Kohler

Pros

Some very creative product lines.

Cons

Worst management I have ever seen. Company wide.
    Managers have very large ego's that constantly need to be fed.
    No respect for current employees. Outside opinions matter much more to management.
    Benefits are a joke. Gracious living does not apply to employees.
    Most people will lie to your face and have no problem with doing it.
    Upper level managers have no respect for lower level managers.
    You become just a number.
    Most budgeting is done with funny money. There are no real checks and balances in a yearly budget.

Need a major house cleaning with management at all levels.

Not right out of college, doors are closing

Former Employee - Accounting Clerk II in Kohler, WI
    Former Employee - Accounting Clerk II in Kohler, WI

I worked at Kohler

Pros

If you are a recent college grad, Kohler will wine, dine, and welcome you in their finance area. For college grads, Kohler offers a variety and well rounded opportunity to experience all levels of accounting if you choose to ride their wave.

Cons

If you are not a recent college graduate, regardless of previous work experience and possibly based on the college you attended, you are not looked at as "moldable" and therefore several have experienced doors closing the moment they accepted the lower position - of course they didn't realize what was happening until after the fact.

Some of the old school traditions no longer help grow the employees. Take a step back, open your minds and realize that the strict adherence to the titles being used have created many limitations. Also realize that personal growth goes a long way for overall company longevity.

Very poor communication of expectations except where production is concerned.

Former Employee - Member of Management in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Member of Management in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Kohler

Pros

Good hourly group, very interested in trying to do a good job. But moral and the opinion of management is very low, especially toward the plant manager.

Cons

Lack of humanity in management matters, not a cohesive management group, everyone seems to feel threatened.

Need to learn how to walk the walk, not just talk the talk. Management does not work as a team, improving communications and looking at the big picture, not just production would go a long way to improving moral.