Kohler

www.kohler.com

Kohler Reviews

Updated Jul 12, 2014

Kohler Chairman and CEO Herbert V. Kohler Jr.

Herbert V. Kohler Jr.

Pros
  • Good benefits and flexible working time(in 9 reviews)

• Friendly and helpful co-workers(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • very little training or advice from upper management(in 11 reviews)

• Not much analysis goes into decision making in strategic sourcing(in 7 reviews)

Not what they claim to be for an international company at all.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsUnfortunately there is nothing to say here except that it taught me what not to look for in a company and never to judge a book by it's cover is a very true phrase.

Cons1. Very scared management. Decisions take a VERY VERY VERY long time to be made
    2. management change what they say in seconds when they are in trouble.
    3. Pay is below average of the market
    11. Everything is centralized
    12. No trust in people
    13. Lack of appreciation
    14. Caliber of people being hired is not up to standard

can go on, but i think this is enough

Advice to Senior ManagementEnough Lying.

they cannot make up their minds

Sales/Interior Designer (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosbeautiful furniture, nice location. high end clients.

Consvery scared management. I had over 9 interviews with them. everytime they would say by end of the week they will make up their minds. The next week, I would get another call and yet another interview with another manager. Total of 9 interviews and two personality tests. I was told that my exam numbers were through the roof . I was told that everyone in the chain of management loved talking to me. Then came the last person. A manager by the name of joe. Combative and rude in nature. The interview went from cordial to plain rude. he was trying hard to find problems within the resume and corner me in an unconfortable way. I had been told there are several well qualified candidates beside me, yet two weeks later, they still have the employment add on again.
      My take. the retail store is very close to the showroom at PDC location and does not make their quotas. Clients going to both locations and sales people fighting over the rights of who owns the sale. I know within the last 6 months, they have brand new staff including managers. They still work their comuters through DOS system. This is 2014 come on people.
    All indications are that the venture is not working out for them and the company may close that location. I might add, among all the managers I had interviewed with such as Regina, Kirck , Ursila ( yes you will get to know them all if you decide to apply, some times 3 interviews in a row) they were all class act professional except the last, joe guy. I think he is young and green in what he was doing. He will learn more as time goes by. At the end, I contacted the area manager and asked that my name to be taken off their list since they still were not able to make a decision.
    How they work:
    they offer 5% commission. in order to make a 60K anual salary, you have to sale at least 1.2 Million yearly.( about 100K a month . NO WAY FROM THAT OCATION IS THAT POSSIBLE) they require you both being on the showroom floor and go out and bring clients in. ( how that is physically possible, I do not know.) you get paid AFTER the merchandise is delivered and they get paid from the client. Being that all their furniture is custom and they usually have 3-4 months delivery time on them. you will not see your commission on that sale for minimum 6 months time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMAKE UP YOUR MINDs

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

NSSSo longer a N

Meat Seafood Coordinator (Former Employee) Kohler, WI

ProsSome great coworkers who worked hard

ConsIt's as if the business is left to die a slow agonizing death with a lack of capital being put back into the business in any effort to compete. The position included some all encompassing store responsibilities and impromptu delivery expectations that are virtually unheard of in a position bearing the the job title comparatively to any other business of this type.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe rules are so many that they become constraining to effectively to the job

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is the worst job I have ever had, They took away our Vacation this year!

WSO- Warehouse Forklift Loader (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsThe money is good, but no pay raise for 3 yrs. I like some of the lower management, I enjoy loading trucks with a fork lift.

ConsThey treat us like dirt, force us to work 6 12 hour days a week, upper management doe's not care or treat us with respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the warehouse supervisor, start treating us better.

Dishonest and corrupt. Just a horrible place to be.

Communications Specialist (Former Employee) Kohler, WI

ProsNot many. Products are well crafted.

ConsManagement is just awful. At all levels of the company. Everybody operates in fear (HVK) and if you are not the "chosen employee" your career will go nowhere. Management excels at labeling employees and putting them in a box. Never moving anybody up the ladder because they have determined that you are not capable of doing anything other than your current position. HR is bloated and causes too many barriers to real success. HR is not employee friendly. If you confide in them they will notify your supervisor immediately and tell them everything.
    WARNING: If you value your career, this is not the place for you. Better think twice.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot that this advice matters becuase Kohler will never change but here you go. The people you have working for you matter. Turnover is very high for a reason. People do not like being treated poorly and they will leave. You can replace them but consider the cost. It is now a culture of contempt. Wakeup and drop the ego.

Sauk Technologies and the Kohler Conduct Con

Temp (Former Employee) Saukville, WI

Prosmediocre wage - equal to industry standard for the area

ConsEverything! Glassdoor will not allow (remove) a proper review of this Company, Sauk technologies) which is owned by Kohler. They make power generators here. Internal Culture is extremely poisonous. Supervisors lack the knowledge of the machines and skills used to make parts, but you have to go to them when something isnt correct only to be sent to someone who may know. Those people dont know because they dont run your machine or products. They have a written culture of ethics but its just that, written not practiced. Half the workers come from a temp agency, if you are one of those, understand the term "At Will" employment and remain on your guard! Probably the best way I can say it so the post will not get removed. Also understand what the Temp Agency you work for policy is and Kohler/Sauktech because if you ever do bring up a "concern" you could find yourself on the end of a angry phone call with someone saying you have no right to call Human Resources. So again, understand the term "At Wii" more than any handbook or what any person says in a meeting about coming forward with a concern, we dont discriminate.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement doesnt listen and dont care so why take the time to enter anything here. Its a manufacturing company that makes tons of dollars on manufacturing. They should follow their policies and and cfocus more on the Life, Balance part of thee Work - Life - Balance spiel on the wall.

Run Away

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kohler, WI

ProsSome very creative product lines.

ConsWorst management I have ever seen. Company wide.
    Managers have very large ego's that constantly need to be fed.
    No respect for current employees. Outside opinions matter much more to management.
    Benefits are a joke. Gracious living does not apply to employees.
    Most people will lie to your face and have no problem with doing it.
    Upper level managers have no respect for lower level managers.
    You become just a number.
    Most budgeting is done with funny money. There are no real checks and balances in a yearly budget.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a major house cleaning with management at all levels.

Not right out of college, doors are closing

Accounting Clerk II (Former Employee) Kohler, WI

ProsIf you are a recent college grad, Kohler will wine, dine, and welcome you in their finance area. For college grads, Kohler offers a variety and well rounded opportunity to experience all levels of accounting if you choose to ride their wave.

ConsIf you are not a recent college graduate, regardless of previous work experience and possibly based on the college you attended, you are not looked at as "moldable" and therefore several have experienced doors closing the moment they accepted the lower position - of course they didn't realize what was happening until after the fact.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the old school traditions no longer help grow the employees. Take a step back, open your minds and realize that the strict adherence to the titles being used have created many limitations. Also realize that personal growth goes a long way for overall company longevity.

Very poor communication of expectations except where production is concerned.

Member of Management (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsGood hourly group, very interested in trying to do a good job. But moral and the opinion of management is very low, especially toward the plant manager.

ConsLack of humanity in management matters, not a cohesive management group, everyone seems to feel threatened.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to learn how to walk the walk, not just talk the talk. Management does not work as a team, improving communications and looking at the big picture, not just production would go a long way to improving moral.

Work Hard, Harder, get kicked

Finance (Former Employee) Cheltenham, England (UK)

Prosin general staff is ok, hard working in spite not thanks to current management. Given some leadership potential of a great team.

ConsToo much favourtism, lack of leadership, working on basically flawed strategic plans, heard people rather than leading them. Can not find and if they do or retain good people

Advice to Senior Managementlearn to give direction, give attainable goals to people. Trust is a two way street, staff does not trust its managers, finance management simple is rubbish. Give up on the idea to establish an SSC! You do not have the leadership, multiculturalism required.

Worked for Kohler? Contribute to the Community!