Kohler
www.kohler.com Kohler, WI 5000+ Employees

Kohler Reviews

Updated Apr 1, 2014

Kohler Chairman and CEO Herbert V. Kohler Jr.

Herbert V. Kohler Jr.

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, friendly co-workers, good systems"
    in 7 reviews
  • "If you can form good relationships with them, you can learn a lot"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "All upper management and even some lower level management is only there for themselves"
    in 9 reviews
  • "They need to focus more on work / life balance and promoting people when deserved"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall a good job, but not a good career.

I have been working at Kohler

ProsYou generally know what is expected of you but there isn't any motivation for doing anything more than that.

ConsNo advancement opportunities unless you are in on the politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage your employees, and treat them fairly. Don't take away benefits and then say you had record profits. That definitely doesn't make for loyal employees.

Not what they claim to be for an international company at all.

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Kohler full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUnfortunately there is nothing to say here except that it taught me what not to look for in a company and never to judge a book by it's cover is a very true phrase.

Cons1. Very scared management. Decisions take a VERY VERY VERY long time to be made
2. management change what they say in seconds when they are in trouble.
3. Pay is below average of the market
11. Everything is centralized
12. No trust in people
13. Lack of appreciation
14. Caliber of people being hired is not up to standard

can go on, but i think this is enough

Advice to Senior ManagementEnough Lying.

Good experience

I have been working at Kohler as an intern for less than a year

ProsDid not offer internship and i don't know what went wrong

ConsAsked for projects related to Safety ergonomics

they cannot make up their minds

Sales/Interior Designer (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Kohler as a contractor for less than a year

Prosbeautiful furniture, nice location. high end clients.

Consvery scared management. I had over 9 interviews with them. everytime they would say by end of the week they will make up their minds. The next week, I would get another call and yet another interview with another manager. Total of 9 interviews and two personality tests. I was told that my exam numbers were through the roof . I was told that everyone in the chain of management loved talking to me. Then came the last person. A manager by the name of joe. Combative and rude in nature. The interview went from cordial to plain rude. he was trying hard to find problems within the resume and corner me in an unconfortable way. I had been told there are several well qualified candidates beside me, yet two weeks later, they still have the employment add on again.
  My take. the retail store is very close to the showroom at PDC location and does not make their quotas. Clients going to both locations and sales people fighting over the rights of who owns the sale. I know within the last 6 months, they have brand new staff including managers. They still work their comuters through DOS system. This is 2014 come on people.
All indications are that the venture is not working out for them and the company may close that location. I might add, among all the managers I had interviewed with such as Regina, Kirck , Ursila ( yes you will get to know them all if you decide to apply, some times 3 interviews in a row) they were all class act professional except the last, joe guy. I think he is young and green in what he was doing. He will learn more as time goes by. At the end, I contacted the area manager and asked that my name to be taken off their list since they still were not able to make a decision.
How they work:
they offer 5% commission. in order to make a 60K anual salary, you have to sale at least 1.2 Million yearly.( about 100K a month . NO WAY FROM THAT OCATION IS THAT POSSIBLE) they require you both being on the showroom floor and go out and bring clients in. ( how that is physically possible, I do not know.) you get paid AFTER the merchandise is delivered and they get paid from the client. Being that all their furniture is custom and they usually have 3-4 months delivery time on them. you will not see your commission on that sale for minimum 6 months time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMAKE UP YOUR MINDs

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great stepping stone

I have been working at Kohler full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLarge multinational privately held company with a good brand reputation. Good benefits: medical, dental, vision, 401k with match, pension. iverse cross functional and cross industry experience opportunities

Cons- Businesses and functions operate in Silos
- High turn-over rates
- Pay is below average to average with limited opportunity to advance.
- Engrained culture, change is slow
- Management lacks functional/business knowledge and managerial competencies

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to eliminate silos within and challenge known truths. Acknowledging and compensating employees will improve poor retention rates.

Machine bowl spray operator

Machine Bowl Spray Operator (Current Employee)
Brownwood, TX

I have been working at Kohler part-time for less than a year

Prosits neutral pay, insurance, 41K and secured job

ConsIm not full time yet and the pay is not what i'am looking for

Great support in driving your own career path!

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kohler full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPrivately held, focused on building a legacy (not just short term earnings), Global and diverse opportunities while maintaining a small company feel.

ConsAlways chasing to be even better which can be intense, strong culture which if misunderstood can be a challenge to navigate

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on personal development for all associates and executive leaders. With personal development, business results will come too.

One of the oldest and largest privately held companies in North America

I have been working at Kohler full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCulture, stability, location, career opportunities, clear vision, strategic

ConsCulture, location, could have limited career advancement if you are not open to relocation

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a consistant work environment. There are alot of good reasons to work at Kohler...together, lets make it a great place to work.

For a supposedly world class company, it is anything but.

I have been working at Kohler

ProsPay is average for what is demanded if you can make it past the front door.

ConsExtremely high stress environment in any position. Every position is maxed out so no one can help anyone else out to ease the burden. Tight deadlines with no exceptions. Lots of mistakes, missed deadlines, unreal expectations for timelines given vs. experience and manpower.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with another method of measuring personnel performance. Communication between departments and within departments is poor. One person can be focused on reducing waste/cost. The person right next to them is focused developing a new product/process creating a lot of waste and cost. This is just one example. It is rampant across all departments. Quality wants zero defects down to .001" or less. Days worth of production is scrapped, tooling modifications bounced around, next day air shipping, and qualifications required before production. A week passes, no parts, production is shut down over .001" that doesn't effect the functionality of the part. On top of that the person taking the measurements didn't measure it right to start with. 50-100 parts cost the company $30,000 or more, sales orders are lost. The parts are worth <$1each to start with. Suppliers refuse to work with us and don't send anymore work.
Five big changes need to be made:
1) Anyone changing positions in the company has to be qualified for that position, experience and education. They also have to have 20% hands on experience in the manufacturing environment they are working annually. You can't make and account a quality person overnight and give them authority to halt production because of .0005" out of tolerance when it doesn't effect functionality of the part to start with. A lot of people are power hungry to run up the corporate ladder not caring what the collateral damage is they leave behind due to Max P and some people are naturally that way. Very common. Time in each position must be at least 2 years or more before being able to make critical decisions or approvals.
2) Pull more work inside that is done by outside vendors. Huge amounts of cost are incurred by sending work to outside vendors. By the time Next Day Air charges are incurred both directions and expedited deliver time charges, you could have paid someones salary for a year. On occasion, in just one instance.
3)Hire more staff that is capable of multi-tasking between departments, a liaison. If people in either or several departments need additional manpower it is available, schedules are on time, fewer mistakes are made, someone is able to see that two people or more are working on conflicting projects.
4) A special projects department needs to be established at each facility to develop new processes without interrupting current production creating double waste in material, machine time, and manpower. Example, a process running in spec. is shut down, manpower changes process for experiment, scrap and machine time are lost for an infinite amount, usually days, manpower swaps process back, scrap and machine time lost due to getting the machine back to normalized production, qualification has to be done again which hopefully is right. It may take 2-5 times of sampling until is is brought back in spec. Hours and days can be lost for a sample run of something when it could have been done on a separate department making both processes infinitely more efficient.
5) You can't run a company from a Palace on the hill and never consider what the peasants have to go through to achieve the desired results. Each facility has very qualified personnel to carry out the operations yet they have no voice in how or the time frame it's done in. Infinite amounts of cost and time could be saved if members of the facility had a voice in what would and wouldn't work. Instead, someone from the Palace says "Do this this way by tomorrow no questions asked" The peasant obliges, knowing full well it won't work. When it doesn't work, they get yelled at and told to make it work no matter what. The peasant says, "it won't work that way but it will this way". It doesn't matter I am king do it my way. A month later and untold attempts to make the first way work, the king says "you know what, let's try it this way". Nine times out of 10 it was the peasants recommendation in the beginning but the peasant gets no credit for it because he doesn't matter. The king takes the credit and all is grand.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Kohler part-time

ProsGood colleagues, quality work and environment

Consbad pay, management is tricky to manage, politics

Worked for Kohler? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kohler reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kohler CEO Herbert V. Kohler Jr. All 138 reviews posted anonymously by Kohler employees.