Kohler

Kohler Reviews

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015
3.3

Kohler Chairman and CEO Herbert V. Kohler Jr.
Herbert V. Kohler Jr.

Pros
  • Good benefits and flexible working time (in 9 reviews)

• Kohler is a great product and the relationships built are incredible (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • very little training or advice from upper management (in 11 reviews)

• Not much analysis goes into decision making in strategic sourcing (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Very happy here

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Kohler full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at Kohler for several years and I've been very happy here. The benefits are great - pension plan with 401k contributions - a holiday break - job security. Kohler is a great product and the relationships built are incredible.

Cons

If you want to move up, you have to move to Wisconsin.

More clarity about how to advance without moving to Kohler.

Politically Eye Opening

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hattiesburg, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hattiesburg, MS

I worked at Kohler full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great exposure to a national company with opportunity to learn. Enjoyed working with all the co-workers.

Cons

Policies were enforced for some but not all. Corporate office doesn't understand the culture in a small town and assumes that what works well in other locations would work the same in MS. Human Resource Department is very inefficient has had great turnover and Corporate HR is lacking in leadership. Their are some in your face discrimination that occurs but the vast majority of the discrimination is masked and condoned by upper management. I found it to be a very racist place to work for if you are a female or a person of color. I would not recommend this company to anyone solely because of the underhanded dirty politics that I saw first hand. The overall vibe just isn't a good one and most people would like to enjoy the environment they work in.

Do some self assessment and listen to your employees because without them there would be NO Kohler.

Overall a good job, but not a good career.

I have been working at Kohler

Pros

You generally know what is expected of you but there isn't any motivation for doing anything more than that.

Cons

No advancement opportunities unless you are in on the politics.

Engage your employees, and treat them fairly. Don't take away benefits and then say you had record profits. That definitely doesn't make for loyal employees.

Great stepping stone

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kohler, WI

I have been working at Kohler full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large multinational privately held company with a good brand reputation. Good benefits: medical, dental, vision, 401k with match, pension. iverse cross functional and cross industry experience opportunities

Cons

- Businesses and functions operate in Silos
    - High turn-over rates
    - Pay is below average to average with limited opportunity to advance.
    - Engrained culture, change is slow
    - Management lacks functional/business knowledge and managerial competencies

Work to eliminate silos within and challenge known truths. Acknowledging and compensating employees will improve poor retention rates.

Good experience

I have been working at Kohler as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Did not offer internship and i don't know what went wrong

Cons

Asked for projects related to Safety ergonomics

Great support in driving your own career path!

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Kohler, WI
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Kohler, WI

I have been working at Kohler full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Privately held, focused on building a legacy (not just short term earnings), Global and diverse opportunities while maintaining a small company feel.

Cons

Always chasing to be even better which can be intense, strong culture which if misunderstood can be a challenge to navigate

Focus on personal development for all associates and executive leaders. With personal development, business results will come too.

they cannot make up their minds

Current Employee - Sales/Interior Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales/Interior Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Kohler as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

beautiful furniture, nice location. high end clients.

Cons

very scared management. I had over 9 interviews with them. everytime they would say by end of the week they will make up their minds. The next week, I would get another call and yet another interview with another manager. Total of 9 interviews and two personality tests. I was told that my exam numbers were through the roof . I was told that everyone in the chain of management loved talking to me. Then came the last person. A manager by the name of joe. Combative and rude in nature. The interview went from cordial to plain rude. he was trying hard to find problems within the resume and corner me in an unconfortable way. I had been told there are several well qualified candidates beside me, yet two weeks later, they still have the employment add on again.
      My take. the retail store is very close to the showroom at PDC location and does not make their quotas. Clients going to both locations and sales people fighting over the rights of who owns the sale. I know within the last 6 months, they have brand new staff including managers. They still work their comuters through DOS system. This is 2014 come on people.
    All indications are that the venture is not working out for them and the company may close that location. I might add, among all the managers I had interviewed with such as Regina, Kirck , Ursila ( yes you will get to know them all if you decide to apply, some times 3 interviews in a row) they were all class act professional except the last, joe guy. I think he is young and green in what he was doing. He will learn more as time goes by. At the end, I contacted the area manager and asked that my name to be taken off their list since they still were not able to make a decision.
    How they work:
    they offer 5% commission. in order to make a 60K anual salary, you have to sale at least 1.2 Million yearly.( about 100K a month . NO WAY FROM THAT OCATION IS THAT POSSIBLE) they require you both being on the showroom floor and go out and bring clients in. ( how that is physically possible, I do not know.) you get paid AFTER the merchandise is delivered and they get paid from the client. Being that all their furniture is custom and they usually have 3-4 months delivery time on them. you will not see your commission on that sale for minimum 6 months time.

MAKE UP YOUR MINDs

Machine bowl spray operator

Current Employee - Machine Bowl Spray Operator in Brownwood, TX
    Current Employee - Machine Bowl Spray Operator in Brownwood, TX

I have been working at Kohler part-time (less than a year)

Pros

its neutral pay, insurance, 41K and secured job

Cons

Im not full time yet and the pay is not what i'am looking for

One of the oldest and largest privately held companies in North America

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kohler, WI

I have been working at Kohler full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Culture, stability, location, career opportunities, clear vision, strategic

Cons

Culture, location, could have limited career advancement if you are not open to relocation

Create a consistant work environment. There are alot of good reasons to work at Kohler...together, lets make it a great place to work.

Accounting Analyst

I worked at Kohler full-time

Pros

The team is like a family.

Cons

There is too many reports.