Kohler

www.kohler.com

Kohler Reviews in Sheboygan, WI

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Kohler Chairman and CEO Herbert V. Kohler Jr.

Herbert V. Kohler Jr.

Pros
  • Good benefits and flexible working time(in 9 reviews)

• Friendly and helpful co-workers(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • very little training or advice from upper management(in 11 reviews)

• Not much analysis goes into decision making in strategic sourcing(in 7 reviews)

74 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good platform to set sail for all fields

Engineer Co-Op (Current Employee) Kohler, WI

ProsCo-workers all willing to help and answer questions. Good benefits and flexible working time. Big company for those seeking for good opportunities and improvement

ConsManagement need to be changed or optimized. Efficiency is low between communications in teams.

So close to being a great employer

Leader (Former Employee) Kohler, WI

ProsBrand recognition and pride. High caliber of employees with a strong work ethic and energy. Clear and well known core competencies that are pervasive from one business unit to another.

ConsThe Human Resources organization is lead by a family member who does not understand employee engagement. Decisions and policies are based on "how things look" rather than doing the right things. There is no accountability. The Kohler Learning Organization's turnover in the past decade is a testament to the cultural collision between wanting to do the right thing, and the HR leadership's insistence on the contrary.

Great products and chances to develop, but management is from the Stone Age.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kohler, WI

ProsHighly respected company in the market.
    Well-designed products.
    People in the trenches work hard.
    You can be proud of the work you do here (if you ignore the petty politics).

ConsTop-down management style creates an atmosphere of distrust that filters down into teams and affects attitudes and productivity.
    Managers have their own secret agendas and actively compete with each other.
    Decisions are made by management in a vacuum with very little feedback or input from those affected.
    Employee development messaging is off-kilter from reality. We're trained to "own it" and take responsibility, but then aren't allowed to.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the talk. Trust the people you hire and practice what you preach about valuing emotional intelligence and other progressive workplace philosophies.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Engineering decisions based on fear of being reported to HR not DATA

Senior Supplier Quality Engineer (Former Employee) Kohler, WI

ProsGreat Colleagues & great benefits.

ConsEngineering decisions based on fear of being reported to HR not by thorough DATA analysis. I worked on a project and after thorough analysis of the quality data & flawed customer service data there appeared not to be a problem the product quality manager was reporting. Customer service data that they were in charge of was 65% wrong & after actually reading the complaint logs, which they FAILED to do, there were minimal issues and only due to customer installation errors. I was asked to make the change any way because they "felt" they were correct. The design engineer told me, "do what they say otherwise they will report you to HR". My manager told me to, "just do what she says otherwise she will cause problems".

I stood my ground and made a case that by data analysis this is my decision and I dismissed the reported issues and included my very detailed report. I made suggestions to correct the issues and did further studies on the failure of the customer service reporting. I was reported to HR.......

Advice to Senior ManagementDo some analysis on how many time people are reported to HR and by who. Making the hard decisions for the business sometimes will not make everyone happy.

No problem at all

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) Kohler, WI

Pros-Benefits-as a private company, you can not beat the medical, dental, vision offered. 401k matching, pension(which is a thing of the past to many companies) Vacation, sick, holidays.
    -Great reputation as a company
    -Great product
    -Good pay...I find it interesting people saying below average pay...For the the area, as good if not better. Stop trying to compare the salaries to large cities with higher COL

ConsHR decisions can and do take forever

Advice to Senior ManagementTake notice of who is really doing the work being accredited.

Getting Better, But Long Way to Go

Manager (Former Employee) Kohler, WI

ProsWork environment is much better than a few years ago. Solid company, great products, friendly co-workers. Benefits are pretty good.

ConsTop down management. Entrepreneurial thinking is encouraged, but then not accepted. Personal development opportunities, but little upward growth options.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your people to help you grow the company.

House keeping, Cleaning, stocking.

House Keeping (Current Employee) Kohler, WI

Prosgetting the hands on expierance.

ConsI am looking for more hours to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am looking for a higher pay with more hours.

Great stepping stone

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kohler, WI

ProsLarge multinational privately held company with a good brand reputation. Good benefits: medical, dental, vision, 401k with match, pension. iverse cross functional and cross industry experience opportunities

Cons- Businesses and functions operate in Silos
    - High turn-over rates
    - Pay is below average to average with limited opportunity to advance.
    - Engrained culture, change is slow
    - Management lacks functional/business knowledge and managerial competencies

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to eliminate silos within and challenge known truths. Acknowledging and compensating employees will improve poor retention rates.

Great support in driving your own career path!

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) Kohler, WI

ProsPrivately held, focused on building a legacy (not just short term earnings), Global and diverse opportunities while maintaining a small company feel.

ConsAlways chasing to be even better which can be intense, strong culture which if misunderstood can be a challenge to navigate

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on personal development for all associates and executive leaders. With personal development, business results will come too.

One of the oldest and largest privately held companies in North America

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kohler, WI

ProsCulture, stability, location, career opportunities, clear vision, strategic

ConsCulture, location, could have limited career advancement if you are not open to relocation

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a consistant work environment. There are alot of good reasons to work at Kohler...together, lets make it a great place to work.

Worked for Kohler? Contribute to the Community!