Kohn Pedersen Fox

Add Photos

Kohn Pedersen Fox Managing Principal Paul Katz

Paul Katz

SAP

ProsGreat projects, stable, everything works, young people are from all over the world and the creme de la creme, and the pay is good. There is also a (sort of) free for all attitude towards design, so not fighting a dogmatic company style and younger architects can really influence the design.

ConsReally unclear career progression. Tough to break through to partner-feels like a club. Also would appreciate more options on who to work with, the power is too concentrated in too few hands. A lot depends on whether or not you have a partners ear.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve people more in decisions. Tell people what opinions are being formed about them so they can fix it and develop their strengths. You are very much left on your own to figure it all out at KPF.

Intern, good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTalented people and good projects

ConsLong hours, low intern pay

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider different intern pricing based on experience.

Good place to learn, brutal place to grow your career

Prosgreat range of projects (location and type), collaborative environment (if you speak up), opportunities for exciting business travel and exposure

ConsHours were always terrible and have been getting worse and worse over the last 4 years, a few people at the top reap all the firm's profits while the grunts toil away endlessly, few role models in top roles (most higher ups either have no life outside the office or have no prospects for further advancement)

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider paying your people instead of flying first class or staying in $600 hotel rooms on business trips

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depends on your priorities

Architectural Designer I (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAll the benefits of a big company; high profile projects, a lot of resources, good salary, good bonuses. Can be a very good place for people right out of college to get experience.

ConsVery competitive environment, and the management actually encourages people to climb over and fight each each other instead of encouraging collaboration. Even though the company is big, is it very difficult to move around teams even if the work of other partners might be more interesting to you. Not a great place for a long term commitment.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if upper management recognized people based on talent and not just promote those who yell loudest and who don't actually know how to do anything.

Rewarding

ProsCoworkers are friendly, management is understanding and the learning curve is huge.

Consnone that I can think of.

Summer intern

Intern Architect (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsA diverse array of high-profile projects; friendly, smart people; great coffee; Bryant Park across the street!

ConsSomewhat disorganized leadership; long hours, especially if you're on a China project; I was only a summer intern and therefore was fine with long hours because I had an end date, but I could see being burned out fairly quickly.

Bad > Good

ProsMost of them are really nice and smart people
    Great location
    Great projects

ConsUnprofessional management (including people and projects)
    Short sighted decisions
    A few people want to be recognized even they are doing nothing
    Bad pay

Advice to Senior ManagementVery easy to lose good employees, improve management from every angle

Too many chiefs, not enough indians

Intermediate Architect (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNice people. Great office space.

Consmanagement only concerned with their advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on keeping good workers & reward them

First and Last 6 months

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat office space, kitchen, midtown area, lots of social activities for employees.

ConsDepartment worked in treated me very distastefully after 3 months of working there. Wasn't allowed to take a sick day (with a 110 fever).

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't judge a book by it's cover, get both sides of the situation.

Good projects, great people, bad hours, bad salary

Architect II (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGet to work on some high-profile and sometimes beautiful, massive building projects (depending on your team). Lots of cool, chill people, at least compared to the stiffs at other corporate architecture firms.

ConsThe senior people are dinosaurs, no idea about digital work. Terrible management, have you doing endless iterations/variations on a design and then not even bother showing it to the client. No transparency between upper management and employees, too much secrecy. No salary improvements since 2008.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalented employees need to be heard, and nurtured, to bring the best work out of them. Carrot-and-stick incentives do not work anymore (especially when there are only sticks!), and if you truly want to continue to do outstanding work please engage with the junior designers you hire.

Worked for Kohn Pedersen Fox? Contribute to the Community!