www.konagrill.com

Fun Job

Former Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Kona Grill

Pros

Upbeat, fun environment and great coworkers. Good tips. Uses open table so it was easy to swap shifts with coworkers. I felt the training was well done and I felt confident with the menu.

Cons

As in any restaurant job, dealing with customers can be stressful. I had to purchase very specific shoes.

None

When I got the job I was thrilled, but then training I would say was they hardest part. It is a fun place to work.

Current Employee - Server in Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Server in Meridian, ID

I have been working at Kona Grill full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They are very open with my schedule and most of the time I have a set schedule and generally make about 50-120$ a shift.

Cons

The management is "bipolar" if one manager is in a bad mood they all are.....if one is in a good mood they all are, I feel like they need to be more consistent with their attitudes nobody wants to work in a hostel environment.

Treat your employees better and you won't have such a high turnover Rate!!

managers don't be fooled

Current Employee - FOH Manager
    Current Employee - FOH Manager

I have been working at Kona Grill

Pros

Free food if you find time to eat.

Cons

14 hour work days. 6 day work weeks. Being sceduled out of the building for 4 hours after a 11 hour shift to come back and work 14 hours. Work all holidays. Vacation and days requested off not honored. If you have a family this isnt for you. Horrible bonus (100) for a quarter.

Listen to your assistant managers because they do all the work and understand how the flow of the staff and guests.

nope.

I worked at Kona Grill

Pros

50% off meals, thats it.

Cons

management, scheduled on permanent days off, constantly yelled at, not a team oriented place...

stop picking favorites

fun, fast-growing company

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Kona Grill part-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work while still in school. The staff is like one big family and for the most part everyone tries to help eachother out. Management is usually pretty willing to work with you in regards to availability and time off. It's possible to make a lot of money here and it has helped me pay for school. Management finds ways to reward staff for hitting sales goals.

Cons

The company is growing quickly and lots of changes are happening. You have to be willing to roll with the punches and adjust as things change. The happy hour crowd can either be tons of fun or an ACTUAL nightmare. Also the only way you can miss work is if you have a doctor's note, so this becomes an issue if you don't have insurance.

Remember that good servers are a VITAL part of the success of the restaurant. Take care of them. Numbers aren't everything. And hire food runners!

Galleria location, an okay place to work. Happy Hour is brutal

Current Employee - Server in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Server in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kona Grill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

managers are pretty easy going but still about business. The store is older but its still really pretty and they serve great food. You'll make decent money

Cons

All of the good shifts are given to the people they like the most. Favoritism is rampant. The dining room shifts they do give you, if any, are terrible you'll make less than $50.. if even that. The best shifts for those that do not get good dining room shifts are cocktail shifts. Cocktail shifts you make 75-120 a night average but they are ususally Happy Hour shifts and most of the guests are cheap and do not tip very well. Only expect to make 10% of your sales.. and these people are extremely rude. This is the worst part.

return the 18% grat. even if we have to pay taxes or you have to hire a person to take care of the paper work or what ever the excuse was. This place is inhumane without that grat and costing the company more money in the long run when it comes to turnover of employees and the fact that we are guaranteed minimum wage any how. Also the customers would be given better service even if they are rude because we know were going to make money. AND the 18% mandatory grat will rid Kona of bad clientele and lets face it, the reason your dining room traffic has gone down is not because you need a remodel its because people who pay good money for food and atmosphere do not want to hear the loud yells and cackling of the raunchy, sleezy guests in the bar.

Good Money

Former Employee - Server in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Server in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Kona Grill full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice and easy scheduling-hot schedules online
    Consistent $150-$250/per shift in bar
    Great co-workers

Cons

Creepy managers
    Won't allow you to work overtime...No benefits
    Roach problem

Chuck taylors aren't easy to be on your feet all day in, also in order to prevent someone slipping in the wet kitchen and a lawsuit, no slip shoes should probably be re-considered.

Hostess/Busser

Current Employee - Hostess in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Hostess in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Kona Grill part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The majority of my coworkers are cool and easy to get along with. The managers are professional when resolving issues and try to keep their employee's best interests in mind. They will not hesitate to help you out if you get too busy or are dealing with a difficult guest.

Cons

The clientele can be terrible sometimes, but you'll get that in any restaurant. Managers will call people off if they are on overtime, even if it leaves us understaffed. It can get extremely busy and stressful on some nights, so if you can't multitask well or work as a team then this may not be the job for you.

So Far, So Good

Current Employee - Server in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Server in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Kona Grill part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very busy restaurant, high check averages, great management, etc. At Kona I feel like management looks to hire employees who are genuinely nice/hard working people, rather than whoever has the most experience in the field. This creates a great atmosphere to work at, and has really allowed me to grow personally as a server. Training is really extensive here. They really make sure you know what you're doing before you're on the floor. Also it's a really long interviewing process: 3 interviews. Also a bonus is Kona uses Hot Schedules so it is really easy to change schedules and adjust. Plus management is really understanding about scheduling due to school, second jobs, or family.

Cons

There are lots of servers on at one time, with relatively small sections. I've only been here for a month, and they've hired about 6 more servers too and it's easy to tell some of the old servers are a bit irritated they're hiring so many new people and putting more on the floor at once. Also the tip out is really high, for example I made $130 the other night and only got to take $102 home.

Maybe higher a cleaning crew to come every night instead of making the servers scrub the floors on their hands and knees, or raise the minimum wage up from $5 an hour. Other than that keep up the good work :)

Server

Former Employee - Server in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Server in Richmond, VA

I worked at Kona Grill part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Corporate structure ensures thorough training, rules are in place to protect employees, guests etc. Can make good money. Teamwork environment. decent food discount for employees.

Cons

Management doesn't incentivize employees to use teamwork. Some employees can turn tables quickly because of the teamwork mentality, but never return any of the teamwork tasks such as running food, taking drink orders, refilling drinks, etc.

Promotions and awards are given for convincing guests to buy gift cards, and sign up for emails instead of good service. Teamwork involves everyone all the time.

Kona Grill Photos